What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Man, that Ruffner medal is hard-core! Congrats!

Personal record distance this AM, 17 miles. You know you're running too much when you think, "4 miles, home stretch." Beautiful morning for running. 40F at start no wind until the sun came up. Bad head wind for the last mile. Really needed that. :dazzle:

Am I ready for 26.2 in January? Uh, no. Felt good at finish but the legs were gone.

Did 4 miles Thursday AM and a cold front moved in on mile 4. I got drenched and couldn't see a thing. But felt like I accomplished something. :D
Thanks. I really respect them. I think they were all hand made with a mold. Very nice. The Alabama red clay is shining through isnt it. You just dont get it out of your clothes sometimes. It is really that red.

Yes, I say the same thing on my long runs with major hills on the front end. 4 Miles in I say, "Alright, time to settle in and just cruise the last 10 or 11." :D

You will get there. No worries. I know the feeling and I finished one solid. Just dont over train like I did. It has the adverse affect.

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, but I have been
busy with school and I just got a new job. I ran
18 miles this morning at an 8:30 minute mile pace
and I felt fine the entire run. It was about 50 degrees
when I was running, but the bad part was the big gusts
of wind. Next weekend I am running the Fall Classic half-
marathon, but I am doing 16 all together. I will be doing a
20 miler the first weekend in December and it will be my last
before Disney. Hope everyone's training is going well!
Good luck this weekend. You going to set a new PR?

dreamfinder

Outdoor 5k on Saturday, rescheduled from Snowtober. Set a new outdoor PR, by a smidge. I got second in my age group which I'll take, especially since the course was smoked by one of the local XC kids, 17 min and change. Sunday was 15mi at the gym, last 6mi negative splits. And then 3 hours of cleaning the garage. Meh.

JillC LI

Great job Jill - You now have a faster 5K time than me! Mine is 27:09 last January, although I hope to work on that once I get this pesky marathon out of the way :)

AWESOME Jill! Congrats :sohappy:

AWESOME. congrats on the time and all your hard work!!!

I know the feeling of no lungs and all legs, and all lungs and no legs. Very weird feeling isnt it.

Great pic. :D Carvel sundae here we come.

Thanks everyone. I'm still revelling in my glory. :D It's good to have someone understand how your legs could be tired and not your lungs or vice versa - my hubby just smiled and nodded but had no clue what I was referring to. I'm getting that sundae for my son tonight - he deserves it.

Personal record distance this AM, 17 miles. You know you're running too much when you think, "4 miles, home stretch."
Am I ready for 26.2 in January? Uh, no. Felt good at finish but the legs were gone.

You'll be ready when the time comes. Trust us. Congrats on the 17.

As for me, I'm gonna do a 4 mile easy recover run today. I might even leave the watch home for once........... maybe :D

JillC LI

Ruffner Mtn Report:

Temp was great at 47ish at start. There were 115ish runners. I was about to head to the start and wanted to power up the Garmin. That was a no go. It wouldnt turn on. I was crushed. All I wanted was to map this event with all the elevation changes and stats. Luckily, I ran with a friend the entire time. We were within 10 feet of each other for the entire race. He is going to send me his garmin stats/splits/google earth file.

I will say that my extreme hill training was still no comparison to the trails super vertical sections. The only place it paid off was in the last mile. That is the most important to me. I was able to get on the last trail (a 1 out of 4 difficulty) and run about an 8 minute pace. I smoked it. I finished strong... about 30 seconds faster than my friend.

Ill post more stats later, but my unofficial finish time was 2:16:33. Ill take it considering the guy who won it ran it in 1:50:00 and a University of Alabama cross country girl ran it in 2:06:00.

Here are some fun pics. Awesome bling. Hand made. So.... environmental. :lol:

Congratulations Joel. You worked hard for this one and you did amazing. Sounds like a real killer of a race. You should be proud of yourself for conquering it. Great pics and really cool bling too.

I wish I had even a tiny little medal to remember my PR on Saturday but our local little race doesn't give them out to all entrants. I wrote my time on the label inside the collar of the t-shirt I got for entering! LOL.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Phase 2 of P90X started today.

Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps.

Just when you get used to working out every day, and feel good about yourself, Tony Horton changes it up and reminds you that he can still kick your butt at will.

joel_maxwell

Congratulations Joel. You worked hard for this one and you did amazing. Sounds like a real killer of a race. You should be proud of yourself for conquering it. Great pics and really cool bling too.

I wish I had even a tiny little medal to remember my PR on Saturday but our local little race doesn't give them out to all entrants. I wrote my time on the label inside the collar of the t-shirt I got for entering! LOL.
Thanks. They are running this course backwards next year. The numbers come in almost dead even... so it isnt like it will be easier the other direction. :lol:

Vertical Elevation Gain: 2,074 ft
Vertical Elevation Loss: 2,088 ft

Phase 2 of P90X started today.

Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps.

Just when you get used to working out every day, and feel good about yourself, Tony Horton changes it up and reminds you that he can still kick your butt at will.
= Pain

I love P90X

joel_maxwell

4 quick screen grabs. If you live anywhere near Birmingham and want to do a trail run, I would recommend this one next year. Ill bring the celebratory beers. :D

Nature Center - Mile 1 and end of 12
Nature_Center_Start.jpg

Looking East. Looks like a spaghetti noodle.
Westside.jpg

Toughest part of the course. Just brutal up and down.
Valley_Ridge_Mile3-5.jpg

Looking West at the last climb up that mountain, straight up the side and down and over.
Wetlands_Backhalf.jpg

fmingo36

Ruffner Mtn Report:

Temp was great at 47ish at start. There were 115ish runners. I was about to head to the start and wanted to power up the Garmin. That was a no go. It wouldnt turn on. I was crushed. All I wanted was to map this event with all the elevation changes and stats. Luckily, I ran with a friend the entire time. We were within 10 feet of each other for the entire race. He is going to send me his garmin stats/splits/google earth file.

I will say that my extreme hill training was still no comparison to the trails super vertical sections. The only place it paid off was in the last mile. That is the most important to me. I was able to get on the last trail (a 1 out of 4 difficulty) and run about an 8 minute pace. I smoked it. I finished strong... about 30 seconds faster than my friend.

Ill post more stats later, but my unofficial finish time was 2:16:33. Ill take it considering the guy who won it ran it in 1:50:00 and a University of Alabama cross country girl ran it in 2:06:00.

Here are some fun pics. Awesome bling. Hand made. So.... environmental. :lol:

View attachment 27417

View attachment 27419

GREAT JOB JOEL!!!
And very cool and unusual bling. :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Love that bling Joel!

20.25 miles this morning. Pushing my 30 miler back a few days so a fellow ultra guy can pace with me.

Took the entire weekend off except a quick 1 mile free-run: no gps, no gear, just a comfortable no-nonsense run...and I DON'T LIKE IT! I need my 25 pounds of gear and ultra distances!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Cheers folks.

fmingo36

Took the entire weekend off except a quick 1 mile free-run: no gps, no gear, just a comfortable no-nonsense run...and I DON'T LIKE IT! I need my 25 pounds of gear and ultra distances! Hope everyone is doing well!

Cheers folks.

You know you are practically certifiable. :lol:

faw286570

Soooooooo,
Goal Finish Time: 27:50 min
Actual Finish Time:
26:52 min !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sohappy:

I finished a whole minute ahead of my goal! Oh, yes, my son did beat me with a time of 25:22 min, as I expected he would, so he was thrilled to win the Carvel sundae, but I couldn't be happier with my performance.

Congratulations Jill! Great performance!

faw286570

Ruffner Mtn Report:

Ruffner Mtn Report:

Here are some fun pics. Awesome bling. Hand made. So.... environmental.

Congratulations Joel! Great run!

GoofyRacer11

Good luck this weekend. You going to set a new PR?

Well my fastest half-marathon time is 1:30:30 and
since this weekends marathon is going to be part of
my long run training, I don't think I'll be going that fast.
I am also going to do a somewhat of a long run the day before.
I'm sure I could go at a PR pace for this race, but I want to
at least finish in 1:40:00.

JillC LI

As for me, I'm gonna do a 4 mile easy recover run today. I might even leave the watch home for once........... maybe :D

Well I couldn't bring myself to leave the watch home altogether, but I didn't use it for pacing throughout the run. Just let myself go easy - which turned out to be quite slow given that I am now fighting off an icky cold. But I was just glad to have enough energy to get the run in.

20.25 miles this morning. Pushing my 30 miler back a few days so a fellow ultra guy can pace with me.

Took the entire weekend off except a quick 1 mile free-run: no gps, no gear, just a comfortable no-nonsense run...and I DON'T LIKE IT! I need my 25 pounds of gear and ultra distances!

That'll be nice to have company on your 30 miler. You must've felt naked to run without all your gear! LOL

I actually told my son that I'd like him to pace me on a one-mile run at the track one of these days just to see what I could do. I haven't tried to run fast at that distance since barely completing "The Mile" in high school with a j*ck*ss of a gym teacher who nearly turned me off running for life. Sometimes I think of things I wish I could go back and say to him if he hadn't retired....but I digress.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Another 20+ miler this morning. Legs are okay.

I've dropped from 120-130 miles per week to about 101-110 miles; taking two days off (Saturday and Sunday) which makes my wife very happy. Still trying to adjust to the extra time off, but maybe I'll just tack on extra miles during the week. :D

Cheers folks!

joel_maxwell

Another 20+ miler this morning. Legs are okay.

I've dropped from 120-130 miles per week to about 101-110 miles; taking two days off (Saturday and Sunday) which makes my wife very happy. Still trying to adjust to the extra time off, but maybe I'll just tack on extra miles during the week. :D

Cheers folks!
OCD at its best.... something we have in common. :D

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Soooooooo,
Goal Finish Time: 27:50 min
Actual Finish Time:
26:52 min !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sohappy:

I finished a whole minute ahead of my goal! Oh, yes, my son did beat me with a time of 25:22 min, as I expected he would, so he was thrilled to win the Carvel sundae, but I couldn't be happier with my performance.

My average race pace was 8:39 although I know it was actually sub 8:30 for the first 2 miles and then a bit slower for the last mile.

Having never raced for speed, I found it interesting how it affected me. In the final miles of the marathon, I could barely move my legs but my lungs felt fine. In the final mile of this 5K at my top speed, my legs had more juice, but my lungs felt like they were going to explode and there was no way of I could in enough air to make my legs move any faster.

Interestingly, if I had finished with this time last year, I would have won first place in my age group, but this year there were some more speed demons in my age group so I placed 7th in it. Alas no medal to remember my accomplishment today but I'll never forget. Overall I finished 155th out of 508 runners. I am so psyched and proud of myself. Thanks for all the support guys.

Oh, and I don't know if this is true but when they were announcing the winners of the 10K race that took place at the same time, the winner was a 60 year old woman who ran a 39+ min race, and they said it was a World Record for her age. I have to look into that. It would be cool to have that happen in my own little town knowing that I was probably standing just feet away from her at the Start Line.

Congratulations!! Great work!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom