What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Ouch! I can't quite bring myself to run outside right this week. My plan is to swim tonight and run 6 indoors tomorrow (the middle 4 at about 8:30/mile, sandwiched by an easy mile warmup and an easy mile cooldown).
You swim at the downtown Y? I need to look into getting my membership back so I can do that too. I would like to try a sprint triathlon next spring.

Blueliner

You swim at the downtown Y? I need to look into getting my membership back so I can do that too. I would like to try a sprint triathlon next spring.

Usually, I go to the downtown Y, although I occasionally go to Mountain Brook or Vestavia. They are all about the same distance from my house.

I have done a couple of sprint triathlons. They are a lot of fun. I'd like to get back into triathlons next spring, maybe at the Olympic distance. I got off track in terms of training this year.

joel_maxwell

Usually, I go to the downtown Y, although I occasionally go to Mountain Brook or Vestavia. They are all about the same distance from my house.

I have done a couple of sprint triathlons. They are a lot of fun. I'd like to get back into triathlons next spring, maybe at the Olympic distance. I got off track in terms of training this year.
I was loking at the LJCC or the Buster Britton at Oak Mtn. I have heard they are good beginner races. Ill let you know if I join the Y again in the event I walk past you a hundred times and not even know it is you. LOL

bdevil4

Suffering in the weather here, too. The extended forecast shows temps in the upper 90s to 100, overnight lows barely reaching 80, and lots and lots of sun. Making it really hard for me to increase my mileage!

I wish that I knew of a good place to run indoors, but can't bring myself to pay any sort of gym membership fee just for that.

Anyway, to the purpose of the thread, I did about 3 miles today, then some weights. Grand plans of at least 6 went out the window after I was completely soaked with sweat after the first ten minutes. :)

joel_maxwell

Suffering in the weather here, too. The extended forecast shows temps in the upper 90s to 100, overnight lows barely reaching 80, and lots and lots of sun. Making it really hard for me to increase my mileage!

I wish that I knew of a good place to run indoors, but can't bring myself to pay any sort of gym membership fee just for that.

Anyway, to the purpose of the thread, I did about 3 miles today, then some weights. Grand plans of at least 6 went out the window after I was completely soaked with sweat after the first ten minutes. :)
Im not going to speak for others, but I think if you go out and attempt anything in the heat, that is a victory right there... and if you finish, that is another victory. :D

bdevil4

Im not going to speak for others, but I think if you go out and attempt anything in the heat, that is a victory right there... and if you finish, that is another victory. :D

Haha, that's what I've been telling myself! Just getting out there is better than nothing. However, at some point I'm also going to have to remind myself that I'm supposed to be running 13 miles in October, and might want to pick it up a little...;)

joel_maxwell

Haha, that's what I've been telling myself! Just getting out there is better than nothing. However, at some point I'm also going to have to remind myself that I'm supposed to be running 13 miles in October, and might want to pick it up a little...;)
I tell myself to "suck it up" about every 200 meters while running in the heat.

Todays run was AWESOME. Everything clicked very well considering it was about 92 outside.

4 miles - 33:14 - 8:18 pace. WOOT!

Phonedave

Today after work was a 10 miler.

Only planned on doing 8, but I didn't feel like doing hills, so I just looped around the flat 1.2 mile loop by my house and did 10 instead.

-dave

Phonedave

I tell myself to "suck it up" about every 200 meters while running in the heat.

Todays run was AWESOME. Everything clicked very well considering it was about 92 outside.

4 miles - 33:14 - 8:18 pace. WOOT!

Nice job!

I wish I could put up times like that. Maybe I'll do some speed work someday, but right now it's all about the steady distance.

Today's mile splits were

1 00:11:37 1.00 11:37
2 00:12:28 1.00 12:28
3 00:12:30 1.00 12:30
4 00:12:17 1.00 12:17
5 00:12:32 1.00 12:33
6 00:12:39 1.00 12:39
7 00:13:04 1.00 13:04
8 00:13:04 1.00 13:04
9 00:13:24 1.00 13:24
10 00:13:06 1.00 13:05

I am going to say they are high because of the heat. I would be happy with 10:00 miles.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Today after work was a 10 miler.

Only planned on doing 8, but I didn't feel like doing hills, so I just looped around the flat 1.2 mile loop by my house and did 10 instead.

-dave
Nice job. I love when things feel good and you do an extra mile or so.

Nice job!

I wish I could put up times like that. Maybe I'll do some speed work someday, but right now it's all about the steady distance.

Today's mile splits were

1 00:11:37 1.00 11:37
2 00:12:28 1.00 12:28
3 00:12:30 1.00 12:30
4 00:12:17 1.00 12:17
5 00:12:32 1.00 12:33
6 00:12:39 1.00 12:39
7 00:13:04 1.00 13:04
8 00:13:04 1.00 13:04
9 00:13:24 1.00 13:24
10 00:13:06 1.00 13:05

I am going to say they are high because of the heat. I would be happy with 10:00 miles.

-dave
You only varied about 1:30 difference over 10 miles. That is good that you arent starting off to fast and differing by 3 or 4 minutes. Im sure that would come down to a 9 or 10 minute mile in 60 or below weather.

Thanks. I have come a long way. I would love to see what my current pace would be if it were 60 or below. I think I could get around the 7:00 mpm pace. That was an initial goal of mine after my April race this past year. Little did I know that would be impossible during summer heat.

I tried some speed work and really screwed up my natural running form and right shin. SO, I just try to do burst of speed work up hills when I know there is a mild down hill on the other side to get my threshold working. It seems to be working so Im fine with that.

Blueliner

Good work, guys.

Last night, I opted for the active recovery/cross training route and swam some laps. 3 X 600, then some strength training.

Phonedave, I historically have not tried much speedwork either. When training for races varying from 10K to marathon, I have used training plans that included one or two days of speedwork each week. However, whenever work and family obligations threw me off my training schedule, the speedwork was always the first to go, as I felt (and still feel) like the long run needs to take priority.

The training plan I'm using for the Wine and Dine includes either a tempo run or interval training once a week. The tempo runs generally are at about 8:30 and build from 3 miles at the beginning of the training plan to 6 miles at the end (i.e., 1 mile warmup, 6 miles at 8:30, 1 mile cooldown). The intervals are usually 1600s, and the number and pace get progressivley harder (next week is 1 mile warm-up, 3 1600s at 7:55 with 800s in between, 1 mile cooldown). Your outdoor loop looks like it would be great for the 1600 intervals.

I am hoping that if I can stick with it, I may see some good results. Who knows whether it will work for me.

fractal

Ugh. Today felt like I was running in hot soup. :fork: 96degrees and high humidity.:fork:

I got to 3 miles before my body said "no mas". The rest of the 2 miles was mostly walking.

Blueliner

This morning I did 6 miles (1 mile warmup, 4 mile "Tempo Run", 1 mile cooldown). My goal was to run the 4 middle miles at 8:30, but it ended up being about 8:50. I was a little disappointed, but I'll take it. I'll have to see over the next couple weeks whether I was a little too ambitious with my pacing goals.

Phonedave

Today I went to RoadRUNer Sports and bought some new 2in1 shorts, some socks, and a shirt. Hey, it's running related. :)

-dave

heartodisney

Back from the "Tour de Paris". Stayed at a Best Western the night before, near a freeway, not too bad, but the room faced the west side and it took a LONG time for the a/c to cool the room. I drove up to the Civic Center to pick up my packet, very nice and friendly folks, although I had questions about the website..(no real contacts on the site if you had questions before the ride) and they said that they did have major problems with the site and would change this next year. I did not sleep well, but got a little, woke up too early, so just packed up the car, drank and ate up as much nutrition I could manage. I have added an endurolytes powder from Hammer nutrition, and this is the really does not agree with my "system"...very nauseaed..so this has ended for this product. My co-worker and riding buddy "Mike" and I goofed around until it was time to line up..good turnout..but a 8 am, it was already in the mid 80's. The route went into downtown and the was a GREAT turnout of the locals cheering us on and we even had a block of riding on "cobblestones"...just brick! Ha Ha! Miles later, the route went over a freeway and the pavement was very rough..I am sure I will have to tighten up much of the bike after that. Nice rolling hills, but it was very interesting passing people who really were not doing well on these. By mile 26 my computer started jacking with me..lost my mph, cadence and distance...but at least my heartrate was still working. Around 10 miles later, my left calve started cramping, but I just kept going...we stopped at ALL the rest stops and by 10 am the temp had climbed up to 100 degrees. Mike asked at this time to just do the 50 and I quickly agreed! We struggled down the road and at times the pavement had melted enough that it would pull your tires down and you would think you had a flat! With around 15 miles left, Mike was not looking good, we stopped at a reststop, fueled up..drank plenty of pickle juice, cold water over the head and rode to the next reststop. With around 8 miles left I waited for Mike and when he did finally come in, he was done, it was around 110 degrees then and the sag vehicles were full and emergency vehicles were very busy. I got back on the road and passed many that were just as crazy as I to try and finish. I am not too sure to do this ride next year if it will be this that, Mike said it was an easier route last year and much cooler. I have dubbed this year as the "Tour of Pain"! I finished at 1 pm, 4 hours in the saddle and 1 hour of breaks! Whew! It was a hot one! I am also sending my computer back to Blackburn, this will be the third one from them, might need to go to another brand.

joel_maxwell

Today I went to RoadRUNer Sports and bought some new 2in1 shorts, some socks, and a shirt. Hey, it's running related. :)

-dave
Absolutely

Back from the "Tour de Paris". Stayed at a Best Western the night before, near a freeway, not too bad, but the room faced the west side and it took a LONG time for the a/c to cool the room. I drove up to the Civic Center to pick up my packet, very nice and friendly folks, although I had questions about the website..(no real contacts on the site if you had questions before the ride) and they said that they did have major problems with the site and would change this next year. I did not sleep well, but got a little, woke up too early, so just packed up the car, drank and ate up as much nutrition I could manage. I have added an endurolytes powder from Hammer nutrition, and this is the really does not agree with my "system"...very nauseaed..so this has ended for this product. My co-worker and riding buddy "Mike" and I goofed around until it was time to line up..good turnout..but a 8 am, it was already in the mid 80's. The route went into downtown and the was a GREAT turnout of the locals cheering us on and we even had a block of riding on "cobblestones"...just brick! Ha Ha! Miles later, the route went over a freeway and the pavement was very rough..I am sure I will have to tighten up much of the bike after that. Nice rolling hills, but it was very interesting passing people who really were not doing well on these. By mile 26 my computer started jacking with me..lost my mph, cadence and distance...but at least my heartrate was still working. Around 10 miles later, my left calve started cramping, but I just kept going...we stopped at ALL the rest stops and by 10 am the temp had climbed up to 100 degrees. Mike asked at this time to just do the 50 and I quickly agreed! We struggled down the road and at times the pavement had melted enough that it would pull your tires down and you would think you had a flat! With around 15 miles left, Mike was not looking good, we stopped at a reststop, fueled up..drank plenty of pickle juice, cold water over the head and rode to the next reststop. With around 8 miles left I waited for Mike and when he did finally come in, he was done, it was around 110 degrees then and the sag vehicles were full and emergency vehicles were very busy. I got back on the road and passed many that were just as crazy as I to try and finish. I am not too sure to do this ride next year if it will be this that, Mike said it was an easier route last year and much cooler. I have dubbed this year as the "Tour of Pain"! I finished at 1 pm, 4 hours in the saddle and 1 hour of breaks! Whew! It was a hot one! I am also sending my computer back to Blackburn, this will be the third one from them, might need to go to another brand.
Paris Texas is a hot place I hear. Glad you and your friend didnt get sick or hurt.

heartodisney

Absolutely

Paris Texas is a hot place I hear. Glad you and your friend didnt get sick or hurt.

Thank you, it was darn hot, and at points I really thought about jumping onto a sag vehicle! People were blowing tires or pulling off due to the heat. I am just going to go back to the Perpetuem drink mix (along with the low sugar Gatoraide) and also take sports legs pills to help with cramping. I know they make a drink from pickle juice that I am sure to try also. As I have said, we met very nice folks, one couple we talked to just just before the start on their first major ride were very funny, the guy was wearing a Radioshack jersey, so we teased him about being "Alfonse" from the Radioshack Lance Armstong comercials! :lol:

joel_maxwell

Mild day today for being a "long" day of the week. It is Jeff Galloways Magic Mile time. 3 Miles. First mile slow jog, second mile run as fast as you can, walk 5 minutes, third mile light jog.

88 degrees. MM time 7:30 with half the course up hill. I took my 5 minute walk and then ran another MM with it being a little more flat, but still 1 small hill with a time of 6:45. After plugging into his formula, here are the estimated times for a race in the conditions I ran in today.

5K = 22:38
10K = 48:08
Half = 1:46:07
Full = 3:49:54

Regardless if this is true or not, I didnt mind a lite Sunday today.
Thank you, it was darn hot, and at points I really thought about jumping onto a sag vehicle! People were blowing tires or pulling off due to the heat. I am just going to go back to the Perpetuem drink mix (along with the low sugar Gatoraide) and also take sports legs pills to help with cramping. I know they make a drink from pickle juice that I am sure to try also. As I have said, we met very nice folks, one couple we talked to just just before the start on their first major ride were very funny, the guy was wearing a Radioshack jersey, so we teased him about being "Alfonse" from the Radioshack Lance Armstong comercials! :lol:
I always like to experiment with different combos of powerade and water, Gu, and Advil before or no advil before.

I think I like No advil before running, 50/50 water and powerade and unfortunately, GU. I would like to take a fig newton or something, but thise little cake/cookies are a bit dry and would make me consume to much of my water supply. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom