What did you do?

Phonedave

Thanks Dave! :wave: Maybe I should actually sit down and read the manual! :hammer:

You can get as simple or as complicated as you want with that watch.

I did make a mistake though, now that I looked at mine when I ran tonight. To record a manual split, you need to hit the lap button, not the start/stop. The start/stop starts and stops the timer (as would make sense given the name :hammer:)

-dave

Erin_Akey

You can see by the splits

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/39498280?sms_ss=google

that there was no gas in the tank.

9:38
11:05
11:52

But there was plenty of beer and brats (and grilled peaches)

A lesson in what NOT to eat the night before a race.

-dave

Oh my.........you call those times having no gas in the tank??!!! That is wild......I get so EXCITED to be under 14:00!!! I guess it is obvious I am a VERY new runner! If I could ever get to 12:00 or less, I think I would FREAK! You guys make me look like a slacker!!!!:eek:

Erin_Akey

oh yeah, and I set out to do my longest run ever of 6 miles after work. Hubby and I wondered if we were crazy to attempt this long one in the evening when it was so hot as opposed to our early a.m. runs.....

We set out about 545pm with lots of water and a couple of Gu Gels and WE DID IT! And I feel great. I did get in the pool to relax my muscles after we got home, but felt better than I thought I would.

I look at it as being ALMOST halfway to the HALF MARATHON distance with six months left to train and only one month under my belt. I am having so much fun doing this!:p

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
oh yeah, and I set out to do my longest run ever of 6 miles after work. Hubby and I wondered if we were crazy to attempt this long one in the evening when it was so hot as opposed to our early a.m. runs.....

We set out about 545pm with lots of water and a couple of Gu Gels and WE DID IT! And I feel great. I did get in the pool to relax my muscles after we got home, but felt better than I thought I would.

I look at it as being ALMOST halfway to the HALF MARATHON distance with six months left to train and only one month under my belt. I am having so much fun doing this!:p
:D GREAT JOB! That is all that matters.

GoofyFan1

Original Poster
I got 3 miles in today before the extreme heat and humidity started.

Accupuncture yesterday for the sinuses and knees. I highly reccommend it to everybody.

joel_maxwell

Thanks! Ohhh and seeing your location I must ask........ are you a ROLL TIDE or a WAR EAGLE??
That is a very interesting question. :lol:

Let me simplify this:
- Grew up Alabama Football fan and attended every home game from 1988 to late 90's
- Went to Auburn for the type education I wanted
- I am a Auburn University fan over University of Alabama ANYDAY. The school and atmosphere is far superior to what I was looking for
- I am still a UA Football fan at heart over Auburn Football, but will cheer for Auburn when not playing the Tide.

That is the simplistic version. :D

dreamfinder

I wish I had a Garmin etc. I would love to measure the elevation changes that I run. I could use runkeeper on my iphone, but it is just a bit heavy for me to carry along with my water pods.

You can use the mapmyrun.com website. (I think there are others also) Yeah you manually have to track out where you ran, but you have the option to see the elevation. I used to do that before I got my Garmin.

I did my 5k this morning, but had to walk for a tenth of a mile cause of the damn heat/humidity. Rest of it was on pace but sheesh. It shouldn't be 80+ at 5 in the morning.

DisneyRunner

Ran six miles at the YMCA this morning, on two different treadmills. It was damp outside, with no air movement. Tomorrow the forecast is sunny. I'm debating on going to the Y, so I can lift weights and I would run there as well. Or should I skip the weights and just run outside? I do like being outside. Saturday and Sunday workouts would be outdoors.

joel_maxwell

You can use the mapmyrun.com website. (I think there are others also) Yeah you manually have to track out where you ran, but you have the option to see the elevation. I used to do that before I got my Garmin.

I did my 5k this morning, but had to walk for a tenth of a mile cause of the damn heat/humidity. Rest of it was on pace but sheesh. It shouldn't be 80+ at 5 in the morning.
That is the site I use. I have over 15 routes mapped. I just havent looked at the elevation... Ill check that out tonight.

Phonedave

Oh my.........you call those times having no gas in the tank??!!! That is wild......I get so EXCITED to be under 14:00!!! I guess it is obvious I am a VERY new runner! If I could ever get to 12:00 or less, I think I would FREAK! You guys make me look like a slacker!!!!:eek:

Different paces for different people. Those times had me finishing 46 out of a field of 64.

Speed will come with time. When I first started running, I could not run 1/4 mile without having to stop and walk. The important thing is you are doing it, and you are not quitting. You get a little bit better every day you don't quit.

-dave

Phonedave

Yesterday was a 5 mile run. I have never had clothes so heavy with sweat at the end of a run before. Hydroduct clothes my left foot. Shirt had to weigh 4 pounds.

Today was 1/2 mile swim.

Swimming is a lot less sweaty :)

-dave

Erin_Akey

That is a very interesting question. :lol:

Let me simplify this:
- Grew up Alabama Football fan and attended every home game from 1988 to late 90's
- Went to Auburn for the type education I wanted
- I am a Auburn University fan over University of Alabama ANYDAY. The school and atmosphere is far superior to what I was looking for
- I am still a UA Football fan at heart over Auburn Football, but will cheer for Auburn when not playing the Tide.

That is the simplistic version. :D

SIMPLE VERSION???? WOW I would hate to hear the messy version...lol

joel_maxwell

Different paces for different people. Those times had me finishing 46 out of a field of 64.

Speed will come with time. When I first started running, I could not run 1/4 mile without having to stop and walk. The important thing is you are doing it, and you are not quitting. You get a little bit better every day you don't quit.

-dave
I tried speed work earlier this summer before my new schedule started. WOW. I screwed up right shin badly. I try and get speed/lactic acid threshold up on my normal runs with quick burst ups small hills etc. I will also take a day like today (2 mile light jog) and make it a very fast run all on flat or inclines. That will get the same affect.

Yesterday was a 5 mile run. I have never had clothes so heavy with sweat at the end of a run before. Hydroduct clothes my left foot. Shirt had to weigh 4 pounds.

Today was 1/2 mile swim.

Swimming is a lot less sweaty :)

-dave
I hope we get into the neighborhood we want to move into. They have a community pool. I could then start training for next May's Mini Triathlon. I cant afford to join the Y @ $70 a month right now. Oy!

SIMPLE VERSION???? WOW I would hate to hear the messy version...lol
It is always complicated. :lol: Especially with relatives at the holidays.

Blueliner

Yesterday was a five mile run on the indoor track - one mile warm up, three miles at 8:30/mile (my current "tempo run" pace), one mile cool down.

I have not done much speedwork in the past, and I am usually somewhere in the middle of the pack during races. I am hoping to get a little faster for the Wine and Dine. Worst case scenario is that I do not get any faster but get to run to and through three of the WDW parks at night. It's a "win-win."

Next week, my training plan has me running: 6 miles (4 miles at tempo run pace); a 7 mile long run; a 2 mile recovery run; and some cross training. The following week has me running: 3 1600's at 7:55 each, plus 1 mile each for warm up and cool down; an 8 mile long run; a 2 mile recovery run; and some cross training. I'm excited to see how my body reacts to the tempo runs and 1600 intervals.

Has anyone on here experienced good results with speedwork?

Erin_Akey

I did a short two mile run this morning. Was in a hurry as I had to get home and get my son to cross country. Tomorrow I will be doing my cross training in the form of a canoe trip! Haven't done that since high school so should be fun!

joel_maxwell

I forgot to mention what I did.

4 miles turned into only 3 miles since I was exhausted from my car wreck earlier that afternoon. Oy! Everyone is fine but I was a bit tired.

I figured I would really put a lot of effort into 3 instead of stretching it to 4 miles. 93 degrees at run time. Luckily, humidity only 48%.

Time: 23.32. It was a great run and felt great too considering all the events of the day. This afternoon Im going to do a fast 2 on inclines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom