What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
It was weird. For this interval training, my legs felt okay, but my lungs were screaming. It is the opposite with the tempo runs, where I suppose my body was trying (and usually failing) to shuttle the lactic acid out of the leg muscles. A while back I read up on the science behind the various types of adaptations that take place with long runs, tempo runs, intervals, etc. It's pretty crazy stuff. It will never get me to a point where I will qualify for the Boston Marathon, but it is interesting nonetheless.

By my standards, you are flat out flying on your runs. I couldn't imagine keeping up your pace in that heat. I may venture outside for a 3-4 mile run tomorrow or Sunday, with no aspirations other than survival.

Good luck to everyone braving the weather this weekend.
Thanks :lol: I really really push myself. Today's lite 2 mile jog will be a breezy 10-12 minute pace. Gotta work out the kinks.

QUESTION: has anyone else experienced this. When Im running, occasionally when I push myself to run up a hill or incline at a faster pace than normal, I can really feel the lactic acid pulsate through my forearms for about 5 seconds followed by a tingle. It is really interesting when it happens. Only other time I have felt it is when I was trying speed training.

GoofyFan1

Original Poster
I ran 8 miles Monday night after work on the indoor track and felt pretty good. The turns were starting to get to me a bit, but I suppose that is the tradeoff for staying out of the brutal heat.

Yesterday I made a trip to Jacksonville for work, leaving the house at about 5:15 a.m. and getting back home at about 9:15 p.m. No running, other than at the Atlanta airport. What a zoo! I did pick up the August copy of Runner's World, which had a pretty good article on half-marathon training for different goal times. It got me motivated to make a big push over the next ten weeks to get ready for the Wine and Dine.

Today I am hoping to do some 1600 intervals. The speedwork is still a relatively new thing for me, so we'll see how it goes.

I don't want to get preachy, but I also know how many injuries are caused by indoor tracks. I coach HS indoor track. Please make sure you change direction every ten minutes or so to take the pressure off your left knee. I've had too many runners sidelined because they didn't do this.
Good luck with your training.

joel_maxwell

I have come to the conclusion that running at 8am is just as brutal as running at 5pm. Holy cow. Schedule called for 8 miles. 88 degrees. I had to walk 4 times for about 15 yards or so to rest and hydrate.

1:14:14 = 9:16 pace

Im a little disappointed but I just need to be thankful I finished, didnt quit and not beat myself up so much for walking.

Blueliner

I don't want to get preachy, but I also know how many injuries are caused by indoor tracks. I coach HS indoor track. Please make sure you change direction every ten minutes or so to take the pressure off your left knee. I've had too many runners sidelined because they didn't do this.
Good luck with your training.

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it is preachy at all, and I'll take all the guidance I can get. Nice work on your last run.

Blueliner

I have come to the conclusion that running at 8am is just as brutal as running at 5pm. Holy cow. Schedule called for 8 miles. 88 degrees. I had to walk 4 times for about 15 yards or so to rest and hydrate.

1:14:14 = 9:16 pace

Im a little disappointed but I just need to be thankful I finished, didnt quit and not beat myself up so much for walking.

Great work! I was out cutting the grass at 8:00 a.m. while you were running, and it was suffocating. I think the only thing we can do right now is aim to get out by 5:30 or 5:45 a.m.

joel_maxwell

Great work! I was out cutting the grass at 8:00 a.m. while you were running, and it was suffocating. I think the only thing we can do right now is aim to get out by 5:30 or 5:45 a.m.
Seriously! It was to a point where I wasnt breathing laboriously due to the running, but from the humidity. Luckily, with humidity comes sweat. My shirt was soaked by mile 3 and it was helping a little to stay cool. Glass half full right? :D

I know you might be familiar with the area. I ran from my neighborhood (Crestwood), down 5th ave towards Downtown, in Avondale I went south and went up by Highlands gold course. Down Clairmont to Lakeview, then back to 5th ave and headed back home. In highlands, it was a bit nice due to a canopy of trees etc, but I didnt even think about heading east on 5th and running into the sun. Brilliant move. No shade, no cover. Nothing.

It was so hot, my music was even getting annoying.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
8.13 miles this morning @ 7 min pace. No humidity which meant it was the first "comfortable" run I have had in a few weeks.

54.05 miles total last week.

joel_maxwell

Actual age = 29

Mental age = 83
:lol:

Im 34
Feel like Im 64 at times
Have the spirit of myself at 24
... these are not good combination's.

Im lucky my 2 year old isnt asking to be pushed in her Bob stroller yet while I go run. 25 extra pounds in front of me wouldnt be fun right now.

Ariel484

Finished half of a speed workout yesterday...mid 80s out and sunny. I think I'm starting to develop a mental block when it comes to the heat ("hmm, starting to feel sort of crappy...better stop!") :(

Today is yoga and my first tennis lesson! :lookaroun

joel_maxwell

Finished half of a speed workout yesterday...mid 80s out and sunny. I think I'm starting to develop a mental block when it comes to the heat ("hmm, starting to feel sort of crappy...better stop!") :(

Today is yoga and my first tennis lesson! :lookaroun
My mind tried to tell my body to quit or shorten my workout 3 times Sunday. It is tough. If you survive and tough it out, it is huge confidence building in yourself and what you can overcome.

Blueliner

Seriously! It was to a point where I wasnt breathing laboriously due to the running, but from the humidity. Luckily, with humidity comes sweat. My shirt was soaked by mile 3 and it was helping a little to stay cool. Glass half full right? :D

I know you might be familiar with the area. I ran from my neighborhood (Crestwood), down 5th ave towards Downtown, in Avondale I went south and went up by Highlands gold course. Down Clairmont to Lakeview, then back to 5th ave and headed back home. In highlands, it was a bit nice due to a canopy of trees etc, but I didnt even think about heading east on 5th and running into the sun. Brilliant move. No shade, no cover. Nothing.

It was so hot, my music was even getting annoying.

Ouch! In the past, I have liked running around the parks (Caldwell, Rushton, etc.) and near the Highland golf course (i.e., part of the Vulcan Run route). I am not sure how you can avoid the sun in your face at that time of day, though. I imagine any north-south route from your house would involve Red Mountain. :hurl:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom