What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Sanding bits and a drill?!?! :eek: And HE thinks YOU"RE crazy?!?!?! :lol:

On an unrelated note, just curious - do you ever get bored running such long distances every day with little variation? It's rare that you have a day under 18 miles. Don't you just want to mix it up sometimes, do some shorter speed work one day, or whatnot? I realize you have to run longer than the average Joe to prepare for your ultras, but wouldn't some variety in your training runs make things more interesting? Or do you just love it so much that you feel an overwhelming desire to run 18-20 miles everyday? I hope I don't sound critical because I'm not at all - I truly am curious what drives you and other ultra runners to run so long every single day.

No, I don't get bored at all. I like the time to think about my work, schedules, to-do lists, clear my head, etc...Plus, I get to people watch---there are some colorful people on the boardwalks, especially during the summer months :lookaroun
In terms of short distances; it doesn't work for me in regards to ultra training, because there really is no need for speed, just consistant pace and focus. There are ultra folks who like to win and sub 20hrs or sub 15 hrs in a 100 miler, but speed still burns you out over that kind of distance. But, I love the long distance. I have always been the type of person who has to go all out. I do that with my work as an artist, in my friendships, in my marriage, or even planning a special dinner. So it carries over to my running. I love the challenge of pushing my body and my mind over the limits. Everyone in my life has always said that I never do things the easy way :D and with that being said, every little thing in my life I seem to appreciate more.

JillC LI

No, I don't get bored at all. I like the time to think about my work, schedules, to-do lists, clear my head, etc...Plus, I get to people watch---there are some colorful people on the boardwalks, especially during the summer months :lookaroun
In terms of short distances; it doesn't work for me in regards to ultra training, because there really is no need for speed, just consistant pace and focus. There are ultra folks who like to win and sub 20hrs or sub 15 hrs in a 100 miler, but speed still burns you out over that kind of distance. But, I love the long distance. I have always been the type of person who has to go all out. I do that with my work as an artist, in my friendships, in my marriage, or even planning a special dinner. So it carries over to my running. I love the challenge of pushing my body and my mind over the limits. Everyone in my life has always said that I never do things the easy way :D and with that being said, every little thing in my life I seem to appreciate more.

Very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to answer, Nick. I like to think about all those same things when I run too - I guess I'd just get sick of myself thinking about them quite as long as you do! LOLOL. Running definitely gives clarity and peace of mind so I can certainly agree with that! I am also someone who likes to go all out with things, but I do it differently with respect to running because I have a limited amount of time that I can devote to it. For example, awhile back I wanted to run a marathon so for six months I devoted my entire existence to how to train for and complete one. Now I want to run a PR in the 5K so I have been researching, creating, and am about to embark on a very detailed training plan for that. But more on that in another post.... :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to answer, Nick. I like to think about all those same things when I run too - I guess I'd just get sick of myself thinking about them quite as long as you do! LOLOL. Running definitely gives clarity and peace of mind so I can certainly agree with that! I am also someone who likes to go all out with things, but I do it differently with respect to running because I have a limited amount of time that I can devote to it. For example, awhile back I wanted to run a marathon so for six months I devoted my entire existence to how to train for and complete one. Now I want to run a PR in the 5K so I have been researching, creating, and am about to embark on a very detailed training plan for that. But more on that in another post.... :D

No problem Jill. Keep us posted on the 5k PR!

JillC LI

Got home last night and the weather was so lovely that I asked my kids if they wanted to hop on their bikes and join me while I ran. My son wasn't in the mood but my 9 year old daughter kept me company for 4 miles. I love that sort of thing. Didn't go particularly fast, and had to stop to make sure she crossed all big intersections safely, but it was really great. as an added bonus, I got to sleep later this morning. :D

fmingo36

Got home last night and the weather was so lovely that I asked my kids if they wanted to hop on their bikes and join me while I ran. My son wasn't in the mood but my 9 year old daughter kept me company for 4 miles. I love that sort of thing. Didn't go particularly fast, and had to stop to make sure she crossed all big intersections safely, but it was really great. as an added bonus, I got to sleep later this morning. :D

That's great!

JillC LI

That's great!

Are your girls still too little to accompany you by bike, Coryna? It's really special. You should start building their endurance young. When my kids were 7 and 9 they were able to join me on a 12 mile run. My hubby was on his bike too keeping an eye on them!

fmingo36

Are your girls still too little to accompany you by bike, Coryna? It's really special. You should start building their endurance young. When my kids were 7 and 9 they were able to join me on a 12 mile run. My hubby was on his bike too keeping an eye on them!

My girls are 7 & 4. I think my older would love to join me but she's still got the training wheels on. My little one FORGET ABOUT IT! She'd be complaining every couple minutes. I did buy a jogging stroller but even that she gets bored with. I love her but she's a b@llbuster of a kid! :lol:

fmingo36

Nice pace!

Thanks! Much faster than my usual pace but I only have a few days before I leave for California and now with this hurricane on it's way I just wanted to get the run done and get out of the gym to get some stuff done.
Hurricane Irene is my new motivation! :lol:

3 miles for me today @ 8:58, just not feeling it this week.

Been there. Some days the running mojo isn't flowing. But just remember you still did 3 miles today and to somebody else that seems impossible!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Pushed Isabeau in her BOB stroller yesterday afternoon. 3 miles. 9:33 pace on my normal hilly terrain. Very proud of that time. Started to do some quick sprints up hills, then recover on the flats.

Bring on the Ruffner Mtn race in November.

Phonedave

Well, I am back.

I have to start ramping up for the Wine and Dine Half. I planned on starting earlier, but this work stoppage got in the way and 72 hour work weeks sort of put the clamps on any serious running. I did get a 3 and a 4 miler in last week.

Now that it is over, the serious running can start. I am hoping for 6 today after work, I'll see what happens.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Well, I am back.

I have to start ramping up for the Wine and Dine Half. I planned on starting earlier, but this work stoppage got in the way and 72 hour work weeks sort of put the clamps on any serious running. I did get a 3 and a 4 miler in last week.

Now that it is over, the serious running can start. I am hoping for 6 today after work, I'll see what happens.

-dave
Welcome back Mr Dave. You have been missed.

JillC LI

6.5 miles in an hour. Felt great. 9 more days till race day!

Nice.

Thanks! Much faster than my usual pace but I only have a few days before I leave for California and now with this hurricane on it's way I just wanted to get the run done and get out of the gym to get some stuff done.
Hurricane Irene is my new motivation! :lol:

Me too. We're on the south shore of Long Island and are expected to take a direct hit from Irene. We're battening down the hatches here as they say. Stocking up on canned food, water, and batteries. I just ran to the supermarket at lunch and it was insane! There's not a battery to be found anywhere on Long Island. My initial concern is basement flooding and falling trees since we're surrounded by tall ones in my neighborhood. My secondary, long-term concern is power outages since during the last big wind storm we were out for nearly a week and this could be worse. That time it was in the freezing cold weather with no heat; this time it'll be in the brutally hot weather with no a/c. Gonna get in a long run tomorrow morning before bringing in everything from the yard. Stay safe everyone who is in Irene's path!

fmingo36

Well, I am back.

-dave

WELCOME BACK DAVE!
Nick and I were commenting last week that you had been M.I.A.

Texas84

Bad week for me. Working 12-14 hour days on a major project and eating way too much fast food. I did 3 miles Wednesday AM. That's it. Supposed to do 12.5 on the Galloway plan Sunday. F&W is coming up!

joel_maxwell

In preparation for the Ruffner Mtn Crusher 21K, I have stepped it up even more on my hill training.

5 mile run this am.
495 of vertical feet elevation change
907 ascended
9:07 pace (Ill take that ANY day over this terrain)

I love me some Google Earth. I uploaded my run to it. :D Screen grabs
Angle.jpg

Angle2.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom