What did you do?

scorp111

3 miles at 9:23 pace

Judging by the pace, this was either:

A. An easy three

B. A tough first mile with a large extra hill thrown in that slowed me down to a 10:00 minute pace, followed by a pushing it 2nd mile at 8:50, and then a cruising 3rd mile at 9:20.

I will go with B =) Have a great Tuesday everyone.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
3 miles at 9:23 pace

Judging by the pace, this was either:

A. An easy three

B. A tough first mile with a large extra hill thrown in that slowed me down to a 10:00 minute pace, followed by a pushing it 2nd mile at 8:50, and then a cruising 3rd mile at 9:20.

I will go with B =) Have a great Tuesday everyone.

The hill is your friend, the hill is your friend...

Keep it up!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
19.33 miles this morning. Legs are feeling pretty good since the 50 miler. I cut the tops of the tongues off of my Hoka Mafates yesterday (now they are my Hoka Mutes...) and no more pain. I wish I had done that on Saturday.
Coffee now and running around checking off the grocery and to-do lists.

Cheers folks.

JillC LI

Ahhhh, In the 70's! It is 94, heat index of 100. I dont complain since there is nothing you can do about it, but I have been patient for 3 months of this heat.

3 miles today on lunch. Didnt wear a watch. Just ran and looked around the neighborhood with sweat in my eyes.

Keep being patient. This morning I opened the door at 6am and it felt like Fall! It was in the low 60s with a lovely breeze. I had a wonderful 4 mile run at 9:30 pace. Sorry, didn't mean to make you jealous. :zipit:

What I Have Learned From Running Two Ultras...

(I have added more pics to my FB page. If you're not freinds with me, search my name, "Nicholas Bautista," and send a request.)

-start out SLOW
-26 miles is freaking easy
-so is 30 miles
-whatever pain or annoyance you may have early on, will only get worse
-HYDRATE
-it does not matter how you adjust your gear, how you look, how you smell, or if anything is in it's right place on your body...because you will not care after mile 40
-you will be in pain so you might as well ignore it
-it is ALOT of pain
-you have to experiment with foods on the run. What goes down fine at mile 13 or mile 26, will probably make you sick or _____t at mile 37.
-try to laugh
-if anyone is crewing for you, tell them to expect that you will be an a--hole.
-it does not matter how good your running form is or how strong you are...you will be hunched over at mile 46
-25 pounds of gear and water at the begining feels like 125 pounds at mile 46.
-the pain and discomfort is unbelieveable...but the feeling you have when you finish negates that.
-you will look at other runners who run 5k and 10k, and marathons and say, "Come run with me, and see if you're still standing, or conscious..."
Bring on the pain...cheers folks.

It's all relative, my friend. It's all relative. Trust me, for us who have only run one or two marathons, 26 miles ain't easy! Five miles may be easy for us. And for those on this board just starting out, five miles is unfathomable. But we can all relate to that feeling of achieving a goal and it wiping out all the pain you've felt! Congratulations again for achieving what, to me, is unimaginable. :sohappy:

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Keep being patient. This morning I opened the door at 6am and it felt like Fall! It was in the low 60s with a lovely breeze. I had a wonderful 4 mile run at 9:30 pace. Sorry, didn't mean to make you jealous. :zipit:

It's all relative, my friend. It's all relative. Trust me, for us who have only run one or two marathons, 26 miles ain't easy! Five miles may be easy for us. And for those on this board just starting out, five miles is unfathomable. But we can all relate to that feeling of achieving a goal and it wiping out all the pain you've felt! Congratulations again for achieving what, to me, is unimaginable. :sohappy:

Darn right. The folks running the McNaughton 200 and 500 milers must think 50 and 100 is a joke. I'll get there eventually.

fmingo36

4.25 miles and 1 hour of yoga/pilates last night.
I'm going to try and do the same today.
Really wish I could run outside, the weather is perfect here in NJ but I need the daycare at the gym.

scorp111

5 miles at 9:31 per mile

Legs were heavy pretty much the entire time. Not my best run, but I did get out of bed and get the five my plan required, so that is good, right? Should be some cooler overnight temps by the weekend, and I am ready for it.

JillC LI

5 miles at 9:31 per mile

Legs were heavy pretty much the entire time. Not my best run, but I did get out of bed and get the five my plan required, so that is good, right? Should be some cooler overnight temps by the weekend, and I am ready for it.

Is Hurricane Irene not expected to affect your area on Sunday? It's supposed to slam into Long Island, possibly as a category 3! I'd better get my long weekend run in on Saturday. Wasn't yesterday's earthquake here enough from Mother Nature?!?!

3 miles this am at 5:30. WOW... it was 75 and breezy. Awesome break from the heat.

See, I told you I was sending it your way! :wave: Today was beautiful again here too, but the heat and humidity are expected to return tomorrow. :(

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
4.25 miles and 1 hour of yoga/pilates last night.
I'm going to try and do the same today.
Really wish I could run outside, the weather is perfect here in NJ but I need the daycare at the gym.

The weather is pretty good. Bust your butt at the gym though!

19.53 miles this morning. Toes are trashed from the miles. My foot doc (who is an Ironman athlete) thinks I'm crazy. He told me to attach sanding bits to my Dewalt drill and file down the thickness of my mutant, grown-back nails :D

Off to the hardware store!

Cheers folks.

JillC LI

19.53 miles this morning. Toes are trashed from the miles. My foot doc (who is an Ironman athlete) thinks I'm crazy. He told me to attach sanding bits to my Dewalt drill and file down the thickness of my mutant, grown-back nails :D

Cheers folks.

Sanding bits and a drill?!?! :eek: And HE thinks YOU"RE crazy?!?!?! :lol:

On an unrelated note, just curious - do you ever get bored running such long distances every day with little variation? It's rare that you have a day under 18 miles. Don't you just want to mix it up sometimes, do some shorter speed work one day, or whatnot? I realize you have to run longer than the average Joe to prepare for your ultras, but wouldn't some variety in your training runs make things more interesting? Or do you just love it so much that you feel an overwhelming desire to run 18-20 miles everyday? I hope I don't sound critical because I'm not at all - I truly am curious what drives you and other ultra runners to run so long every single day.

fmingo36

Cheers folks.

Could be a new show on the DIY network..."Up next, tired of those nasty toenails we'll show you how to use a drill to make them pretty!" :lol:

fmingo36

Gonna double dip on my classes tonite so I can concentrate on my runs the next few days.
So tonight I've got an hour with weights and an hour of yoga/pilates.
And best of all--I get to start packing for Disneyland!!! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom