What did you do?

JillC LI

20.51 miles this morning. Took my new set up for a test drive. The water weight is distributed much better, and my gels and other emergency items are easily accessible. After many failed attemps of sewing together various components of other pqcks and vests, I got myself a traditional European style pack/hydration system (French company that makes gear for trail ultras, UTMB, and Marathon de Sables), and added 2 MOLLE pouches to the waist belt. It works like a dream. Pics soon.

IPAs now. Cheers folks.

I'm telling ya, Nick, as a lawyer, you should really look into patenting your new system if it's a novel idea.

I said a few days ago that I was going to try this trail run. It looks very challenging, but seems very popular and would be crowded. Oddly enough, this is on the other side of the city and sounds twice as hard. Im asking for punishment. I wonder if 13.1 in this terrain is equivalent to 20 miles on semi flat?

Course Description:
This race is a timed event on the undeveloped 1,011 acre Red Mountain Ridge that makes up Ruffner Mountain Nature Preserve. Mined extensively in the early 1880’s, Ruffner contains unusual terrain, unique mine ruins and beautiful new growth forests, 100% naturally reclaimed when mining was abandoned in the 1960’s. Beginning and seasoned trail runners alike will find themselves challenged as they speed along single track and old dirt mining roads scaling elevation changes greater than 2800’ in the 13.1 mile loop.

:D that sounds like fun punishment

So ya sure you want to start trail running with THIS race?!

Hello there! :wave: First time I've posted over on this side of the boards!

I am VERY new to the whole running/endurance scene and recently decided to train for an event. I am seriously considering the Princess Half, it would give me plenty of time to train.

Today was the kickoff for my training and I walked 2 miles in 31:30. I do hope to pick up my pace and be able to actually run. At the beginning of the year I set a small goal for myself and that was to run for ten minutes straight. Small potatoes, I know, but it was HUGE for me mostly because I am not a runner. I hit that goal but got super lazy and neglected the treadmill for a long time afterwards. But now I'm back!

Good for you, and welcome to the boards! You definitely have enough time to train for the Princess Half if you decide you want to do it. It's just a matter of commitment :)

89 yesterday afternoon. 101 on the heat index, 75% humidity. Lets do this!

5 miles, 9:09 pace with 348 vertical feet gained.

I did 7 miles Sunday morning at 7am in 85 degees and 80% humidity. It wasn't fun but I kept a good pace for me - about 10 min/mile.

Welcome!!!
I didn't start running till I saw the Big 4-0 (about 2 years ago) on the horizon and the first time I ran, I couldn't run for 3 minutes straight.

You and I are the same age Coryna. I started running when I was 26 though. I ran 2-3 miles at most for about 10 years though, and it wasn't until I was 36 that I decided to train for a full marathon and discovered I really enjoy running longer distances (not as long as Nick does regularly, of course!).

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

I am VERY new to the whole running/endurance scene and recently decided to train for an event. I am seriously considering the Princess Half, it would give me plenty of time to train.

Today was the kickoff for my training and I walked 2 miles in 31:30. I do hope to pick up my pace and be able to actually run. At the beginning of the year I set a small goal for myself and that was to run for ten minutes straight. Small potatoes, I know, but it was HUGE for me mostly because I am not a runner. I hit that goal but got super lazy and neglected the treadmill for a long time afterwards. But now I'm back!

Another newb...congratulations on taking a stand, and welcome to the best running forums, anywhere. You will find nothing but support and encouragement here, and the occasional immature joke...

Read some older posts to get familiar with the rest of us nuts:

Joel - Speed Demon
Dave (Phonedave) - where are you??? He's the Guru...ask and ye shall receive
Fmingo and Jill - the hot running chicks who bust their a---s everyday and have the most encouraging things to say :D
Steve - Getting to be a Speed Demon himself
Me (nick) - Energizer Bunny, Machine..."oh you ran a marathon? that's, cute..."

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
117.51 miles last week (Monday-Saturday, yes, I finally took a rest day).

It's under my 120 miles, but I'll make it up this week.

Just under 20 miles this morning. I'm loving my new set-up, but I am having trouble posting pics, AGAIN. I used to post pics often, especially over in the "WHAT DID YOU EAT?" forum, but I'll figure it out. Anyway, it's a RaidLight Olmo5 hydration pack (traditional European configuration for the UTMB and MArathon de Sables), 2 MOLLE pouches on the waist belt (gels/food and first aid stuff) and an EMS shoulder strap on the waistbelt, in order to distribute the the weight/pressure across my stomache.

My IBU solo 50 mile ultra is in 2 weeks.

I'll double it in October for a 100 miler.

Goofy Challenge in January. Just got my Pasta Party Tix!

NJ 100 miler in March.

McNaughton 200 miler (Maybe the 150 miler) in May.

Cheers folks.

JillC LI

Another newb...congratulations on taking a stand, and welcome to the best running forums, anywhere. You will find nothing but support and encouragement here, and the occasional immature joke...

Joel - Speed Demon
Fmingo and Jill - the hot running chicks who bust their a---s everyday and have the most encouraging things to say :DSteve - Getting to be a Speed Demon himself

:kiss:

fmingo36

I'm sorry about the crappy run. I always wear a head-buff because of the long hair (yeah, it's black) and I never get sweat in my eyes.

I saw on FB that you're attending my Irascible B-----d Ultramarathon! Are you going to pace me the last 15 miles or just be the solo cheerleader on the boardwalk?!?

I am going to try and pace you for 5-10 miles(I'll make sure to wear black :lol:). I am a MUCH slower runner than you (just call me a turtle :lol:) and don't want to slow you down but I definitely want to get my sneakers on and run with you for some of it!

fmingo36

Joel - Speed Demon
Fmingo and Jill - the hot running chicks who bust their a---s everyday and have the most encouraging things to say :D

:lol:

And thanks for the compliment..I'll be called a hot running chick anyday!!!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I'm telling ya, Nick, as a lawyer, you should really look into patenting your new system if it's a novel idea.
Im still waiting for pictures :D

So ya sure you want to start trail running with THIS race?!
Hmmm, I know. I tend to not exercise smart decision when it comes to this. It will probably kick my butt, but fortunatley, my environment that i run in right now is heavy hills. I know it isnt loose ground like trails with roots etc, but I think my legs will be ready.

I think that when they say 2800 feet, they mean that is what you will ascend. When I upload my Garmin, there are 2 different elevation measurements. In my 20 mile run, I get a 1200 vertical feet and 2000+ feet ascent. So, I think I have run that before, just not on a trail.

I did 7 miles Sunday morning at 7am in 85 degees and 80% humidity. It wasn't fun but I kept a good pace for me - about 10 min/mile.
Good job!

You and I are the same age Coryna. I started running when I was 26 though. I ran 2-3 miles at most for about 10 years though, and it wasn't until I was 36 that I decided to train for a full marathon and discovered I really enjoy running longer distances (not as long as Nick does regularly, of course!).
started at age 34. I would have liked to have seen what I could have done at 18.

Joel - Speed Demon
In the late Fall, Winter and Early Spring months. :D

dreamfinder

Last week was different, trail ran during the week (thats what happens when you are on an island .75 mi x 1.5 mi) and then did 14 at BQ pace Sat, 17 LSD on Sun. Got a new pair of shoes yesterday, gonna try em Thursdays run. The Brooks Ghost 3. (Last years I know but whatevs) The Green Silence were very tempting, were wicked comfortable, but no way I could switch to those in the next month or so to run a full. Maybe afterwards as a treat, but couldn't swing 2 pairs at once.

enchanted_belle

Ok, I'm going to join in on the newb running bandwagon here... Hello! :)

I'm also looking towards the Princess Half weekend for training purposes, but I am actually planning on just doing the 5k this year and then hoping to do the full half in 2013. I'm not a runner at all, and I have athletic induced asthma (and no clue where my inhaler is... oops), so I'm a little shaky with my start. I started to work on my running a little under two weeks ago, going back and forth between a C25K program and using my friends for their running knowledge... as of right now, I'm up to 11 miles gone total (a big feat for me), and the longest I've probably run at one time was roughly 7 to 10 minutes.

:wave:

JillC LI

I am going to try and pace you for 5-10 miles(I'll make sure to wear black :lol:). I am a MUCH slower runner than you (just call me a turtle :lol:) and don't want to slow you down but I definitely want to get my sneakers on and run with you for some of it!

Wish I could as well but it's a tad far for me. Weekends are family time so I get my runs in early.

started at age 34. I would have liked to have seen what I could have done at 18.
:D

In high school I hated running and got a note from my dr that I had bad knees to get out of running "the mile." How's that for irony?!

Ok, I'm going to join in on the newb running bandwagon here... Hello! :)

I'm also looking towards the Princess Half weekend for training purposes, but I am actually planning on just doing the 5k this year and then hoping to do the full half in 2013. I'm not a runner at all, and I have athletic induced asthma (and no clue where my inhaler is... oops), so I'm a little shaky with my start. I started to work on my running a little under two weeks ago, going back and forth between a C25K program and using my friends for their running knowledge... as of right now, I'm up to 11 miles gone total (a big feat for me), and the longest I've probably run at one time was roughly 7 to 10 minutes.
:wave:

Welcome aboard! Good for you for starting - that is truly the hardest part.

JillC LI

3.5 miles of speedwork this morning. Wasn't where I'd hoped I would be, but so it goes.

At least I wasn’t running in the weather that hit here yesterday afternoon. I've never seen anything like it in my life. It was 85 degrees out and the hail was the size of baseballs! :eek: Our entire parking lot at work was littered with them. I work on the top floor of the building and it sounded like bowling balls overhead. My car now looks like someone was throwing rocks at it with over a dozen dents on the hood, roof and trunk. But I can't complain because several people had their windshields broken by the hail - not cracked but entirely broken off so that it was raining into their cars!

It usually takes me about 20-25 minutes to get home from here, but it took me over two hours last night because most of the major intersections were completely flooded and impassable. It was a nightmare. Now I have to decide if I want to pay to have all those dents removed from my car. Like I said, luckily I was indoors and those dents aren’t on ME!

JillC LI

3.5 miles of speedwork this morning. Wasn't where I'd hoped I would be, but so it goes.

At least I wasn’t running in the weather that hit here yesterday afternoon. I've never seen anything like it in my life. It was 85 degrees out and the hail was the size of baseballs! :eek: Our entire parking lot at work was littered with them. I work on the top floor of the building and it sounded like bowling balls overhead. My car now looks like someone was throwing rocks at it with over a dozen dents on the hood, roof and trunk. But I can't complain because several people had their windshields broken by the hail - not cracked but entirely broken off so that it was raining into their cars!

It usually takes me about 20-25 minutes to get home from here, but it took me over two hours last night because most of the major intersections were completely flooded and impassable. It was a nightmare. Now I have to decide if I want to pay to have all those dents removed from my car. Like I said, luckily I was indoors and those dents aren’t on ME!

fmingo36

Saw that on the news last night. Scary!
We didn't get anything like that here in NJ, thank goodness.

fmingo36

Got my butt out of bed early this morning and managed to get 7 miles in before work.
I was feeling good and really wanted to squeeked another mile in but I was afraid that I wouldn't have time to get a shower in before work and well that would have been bad for everyone around me. Yet again, I think of others before me.:lol:

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
19.50 miles this morning. I left alot earlier than usual (beating the sunrise) in order to see my wife off on a business trip.

Great run, since there were no people around, and when there are no people around, especially in a beach town on the NJ coast, it is a welcome treat.

A couple of IPAs, watering the flowers, and some business e-mails now.

Cheers folks.

scorp111

5K@8:52 pace this morning

68 degrees at the start... the coolest in months! (although it reached 102 here today) Just a short three is what the training plan called for, so I stuck with it, although I felt like doing more. I figure that there were be plenty of times in the next 16 weeks where I will feel like the plan calls for too many miles =)

Splits of 9:21, 8:37, 8:40 and :53

diddy_mouse

Ugh feel bad that I didn't get my run in today. :brick: Slept in too late so I couldn't go before work and then got home too late after dinner tonight so I couldn't go then. Good news is I'm off tomm so I can get an early start and really work on my pace!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom