What did you do?

dreamfinder

Did the Warrior Dash on Sunday. Course was a bit sloppier than I think anyone was ready for. The entire course (hills included) was at least ankle deep slop, and some places it was knee deep. The organizers did seem to take pity and scale back some of the obstacles on course. Still sore from it and had to modify todays workout. Haven't worked that hard for a 5k ever.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Did the Warrior Dash on Sunday. Course was a bit sloppier than I think anyone was ready for. The entire course (hills included) was at least ankle deep slop, and some places it was knee deep. The organizers did seem to take pity and scale back some of the obstacles on course. Still sore from it and had to modify todays workout. Haven't worked that hard for a 5k ever.

I have been looking into the Warrior Dash, I am totally hooked on these obstacle races.

What is your opinion on it? Have you done any other obstacles races?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I have been wanting to do this, but there is never one closer that a 3-4 hour drive from Birmingham. Once they get closer, Ill bite and do it. I just dont want to travel that far.

JillC LI

Long Thread

Just happened to notice the number of posts in this thread and was wondering if perhaps we are the longest thread on this forum! Wouldn't that be cool for a bunch of runners on a Disney web site? :)

joel_maxwell

Just happened to notice the number of posts in this thread and was wondering if perhaps we are the longest thread on this forum! Wouldn't that be cool for a bunch of runners on a Disney web site? :)
From what i understand, at post 5,000 they start a new thread if in fact it goes past that number.

I know in some areas of this website, 5,000 comes pretty quick to some threads.

If this one reaches 5K, we will have to have a "What did you do? 2.0"

I think 44,000+ "views" is impressive too.

JillC LI

From what i understand, at post 5,000 they start a new thread if in fact it goes past that number.

I know in some areas of this website, 5,000 comes pretty quick to some threads.

If this one reaches 5K, we will have to have a "What did you do? 2.0"

I think 44,000+ "views" is impressive too.

Ah, I see. And you should know since I just noticed that you have nearly 10x as many posts as I do!!!! Wow. Does something happen when I hit 1000?

On another note, to stick with the theme of the thread, I forgot to post that I ran 4 miles yesterday after work in 80+ degree humid weather. It was a miserable run with legs that felt like lead, but I finished it so I was pleased afterwards. I also created a new custom workout for my garmin yesterday, and I uploaded it to try out tomorrow morning. It's a 2/3 mile warm-up and 2/3 mile cool down with 4 repeats in the middle of 1/3 mile sprint then 3 minutes jog. I'm guesstimating that it will work out to about 4 miles total for me and I'm curious to see how it goes. It's somewhat random in design, but I figure it's a decent speed workout, and I get a kick out of creating workouts now that Steve taught me how.

surfsupdon

Now that school is out, I've been running daily on the beach, mile down on hard sand and the mile back on the soft sand.

BUT

Today I went for a morning run on the boardwalk, heading north, and passing me heading south was Pauly D and Situation. The joys of living in the town next door with connecting boardwalks, HAHAHA! No drama was with them.

dorothy_l

my husband did the warrior dash in tx and loved it! (It was very disorganized and a little chaotic) I had previously done the Disney marathon and half marathon and he wanted to run something on his own his and move from the spectator to the finisher. Could not have been prouder!!!! BUt, Nothing compares to disney marathon's.....however, in my opinion, the first annual wine & dine 1/2 marathon(2010) at night was harder than the Disney full marathon (2008)

None the less....:sohappy: I finished both and can mark them off my bucket list!

JillC LI

On another note, to stick with the theme of the thread, I forgot to post that I ran 4 miles yesterday after work in 80+ degree humid weather. It was a miserable run with legs that felt like lead, but I finished it so I was pleased afterwards. I also created a new custom workout for my garmin yesterday, and I uploaded it to try out tomorrow morning. It's a 2/3 mile warm-up and 2/3 mile cool down with 4 repeats in the middle of 1/3 mile sprint then 3 minutes jog. I'm guesstimating that it will work out to about 4 miles total for me and I'm curious to see how it goes. It's somewhat random in design, but I figure it's a decent speed workout, and I get a kick out of creating workouts now that Steve taught me how.

So I did this workout this morning and it actually took me less than 4 miles to finish it so I tagged on a bit at the end to complete 4 miles. It seemed like a good workout with my fast segments hovering around 8:30 min which is really fast for me.

Now that school is out, I've been running daily on the beach, mile down on hard sand and the mile back on the soft sand.

Running on soft sand ain't easy - good for you. Except for the view, I'd rather run 5 miles on solid ground than 1 mile on sand.

.....however, in my opinion, the first annual wine & dine 1/2 marathon(2010) at night was harder than the Disney full marathon (2008)

None the less....:sohappy: I finished both and can mark them off my bucket list!

When I started training for my first marathon, it was with the mindset that I intended to mark it off my bucket list as well. I never expected to fall in love with running mid-to-longer distances. Now I can't imagine stopping....and I mean ever.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Sorry I have been MIA again. My training has taken another hit...long story short, hit my head, knocked out, hospital, concussion, blah, blah. No running, only walking yesterday and today, which is TORTURE for those of you who know me. Concussion or not, I run tomorrow...suck it up.

50 miler coming up in a few weeks.

Short, hilly 10k in September.

Possible trail-ultra in the Fall.

Goofy Challenge in January.

NJ Ultra 100 miler in March and McNaughton 150 miler (maybe 200 miler) after that.

That sums up my races for the year and coming months.

Going to get back to my 120 mile weeks now...hope you are all doing well.

Cheers folks.

SleepingMonk

...Concussion or not, I run tomorrow....

Horrible idea.

A concussion isn't something you should be stubborn about and try to train through, it's not a blister on your heel or a sore toe.

Not following the suggested protocol on treating a concussion is asking for serious complications that would hinder any further training and/or competition.

I don't think you're a professional runner, this isn't your livelihood it's a hobby. Don't endanger your longterm health over it.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Horrible idea.

A concussion isn't something you should be stubborn about and try to train through, it's not a blister on your heel or a sore toe.

Not following the suggested protocol on treating a concussion is asking for serious complications that would hinder any further training and/or competition.

I don't think you're a professional runner, this isn't your livelihood it's a hobby. Don't endanger your longterm health over it.

No I'm not an elite, but it is certainly more than a hobby as I invest a great deal of my time, money and life as anyone on here can tell you. Doc cleared me for tomorrow. I have great doctors specifically for my running and if they give the go-ahead, then I trust them.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

BUT

Today I went for a morning run on the boardwalk, heading north, and passing me heading south was Pauly D and Situation. The joys of living in the town next door with connecting boardwalks, HAHAHA! No drama was with them.

LOL how funny! A "celeb" sighting on a run. What were they up to? Working on their fitness or chasing girls? LOL

joel_maxwell

Ah, I see. And you should know since I just noticed that you have nearly 10x as many posts as I do!!!! Wow. Does something happen when I hit 1000?
That was mostly bad in the day when I was at a job during 2004-2005 when I was done with a days work by 9:47am. I had mastered my position there. All I did was wdwmagic the rest of the day.

Sorry I have been MIA again. My training has taken another hit...long story short, hit my head, knocked out, hospital, concussion, blah, blah. No running, only walking yesterday and today, which is TORTURE for those of you who know me. Concussion or not, I run tomorrow...suck it up.

50 miler coming up in a few weeks.

Short, hilly 10k in September.

Possible trail-ultra in the Fall.

Goofy Challenge in January.

NJ Ultra 100 miler in March and McNaughton 150 miler (maybe 200 miler) after that.

That sums up my races for the year and coming months.

Going to get back to my 120 mile weeks now...hope you are all doing well.

Cheers folks.
Nick Nick Nick. Man, you gotta be careful bro.

How is the head today?

joel_maxwell

4 miles yesterday solo. For the first time in a long time, I felt fast. I had a 8:28 pace which isnt blazing for me, but I felt fast.

That is something on the mental side of a victory. :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
That was mostly bad in the day when I was at a job during 2004-2005 when I was done with a days work by 9:47am. I had mastered my position there. All I did was wdwmagic the rest of the day.

Nick Nick Nick. Man, you gotta be careful bro.

How is the head today?

Yeah I know...head is fine. Lucky guy I am to have a great wife and docs to rein me in. 20 miles this morning felt great. Also got to see a huge whale jumping off the coast of Bradley Beach this morning too. That made my day.
Cheers folks.

joel_maxwell

Yeah I know...head is fine. Lucky guy I am to have a great wife and docs to rein me in. 20 miles this morning felt great. Also got to see a huge whale jumping off the coast of Bradley Beach this morning too. That made my day.
Cheers folks.
Awesome. That is almost one of thos events you want to stop and watch for a minute... killing your pace.

But then... you dont. :D

dreamfinder

I have been looking into the Warrior Dash, I am totally hooked on these obstacle races.

What is your opinion on it? Have you done any other obstacles races?

Well, I can look at it from a few standpoints. From either an actual event (having done events & marketing for 15 yrs now) and from the actual race. Some things they did great, I got off the shuttle at 10:30 for an 11am heat, signed my released, got my packet, and checked my stuff in 5 minutes. That never happens unless I am the only one there and in this case they had 5 buses unloading at once. Post race they had plenty of space to hang out and chill, flat screens showing the results, etc.
Other things, not so great. Had to park 10mi away (supposed to be the secondary parking spot). Once I parked, had to wait in a line 1/4mi long to get on a shuttle. No real communication about the course, and there were stretches with no support where they needed staff. Most of the people there were volunteers, which is normal, but they had absolutely no info beyond their little role. And for an event that is so different from a normal race, info is needed.
Definitely seemed like a money grab for the event company. The things are popular enough, they were expected 18,000 runners between the two days, but to then charge and extra 10 bucks to park? (At all events, not specific to this venue) The bling seemed great, shirt, warrior helmet (think royal order of water buffalo) and a medal, but once you got it the shirt was thin, helmet was cheap, and the medal was the smallest I have ever received. And none of it mentioned the specific location. 4 bucks for a 12oz or so beer, 20 for a souvenir mug. Didn't see the food prices. And post race, you got a cup of water. Not a bottle, a little dixie cup.
The staff was great though.

The race itself? As I said, ankle-knee deep slop. Several of the obstacles were changed. They promised obstacles like running through a junkyard, crawling under barbed wire, a tire high step. No junk cars to climb over, the bar wire crawl was replaced with an over/under, and the tires were hung from ropes. All of which I can easily imagine were related to the mud. So I give them a pass on that one. But the 1 1/2 mi or so of the course was running through the woods. Would have been a great run, if not for the mud. Every hill people were falling all over the place sliding into exposed roots and fallen trees. Surprised I didn't see any serious injuries. The obstacles that were there were pretty fun. Scaling walls, jumping fire, sliding down hills at breakneck speed all made for a blast. Could have done without the snowguns for wash off however. Regular hoses would have worked much better.

I definitely want to do one again as I think it shows a ton of potential if the course was in better shape. If you get the choice, take the earliest heat you can. Someone on the first day put in a 22 min race, second day was a 25 min race. And the times definitely got slower as the day went on. I was 23rd in my group from the after the first 2 heats, only dropped 7 places during the remaining 8 heats or so.

Outside of the mud (which they had no control over) it was a pretty good course for a fairly well run event. I may try one of the Spartan Sprints next over one of the longer distance races.

I have been wanting to do this, but there is never one closer that a 3-4 hour drive from Birmingham. Once they get closer, Ill bite and do it. I just dont want to travel that far.

Surprised that between the Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash, and Spartan Race no one comes closer than that. It's a shame as it was a lot of fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom