What did you do?

Phonedave

15.25 miles plus 65 push-ups this morning.
13.25 miles plus 65 push-ups yesterday.
16.25 miles plus 65 push -ups on Saturday.

My knees, right LCL, and both hip rotators are BEAT to hell. I am icing, Tiger-Balming, elevating, and stretching like crazy. The first few miles of my runs are so miserable, but okay, at best, afterwards.

Planning my solo 50 mile ultra for August 13th. Those of you who I'm connected to on FB, stay tuned for details. I'm going as far as having an ultra finisher buckle made for the occasion:
2011 Irascible B______d Ultramarathon - 50 Mile Solo - Finisher

And, I think my wife's cousin will pace me for the last 10 miles (carrying extra water, keeping me on track, etc...) and planning a big BBQ/party with friends (the few that we have) and family after I cross our drive-way. I'll create an "Event" on FB and send it out.

Beer now, of course. Cheers folks.

Nick,

I am all for pushing through pain, but sometimes the laws of physics come into play. If you tear an LCL, I don't care how tough you can be, your not going to be running - it just won't physicaly happen.

Take if from somone who just took about 2 weeks off (including missing a scheduled and paid for 1/2 marathon) because I seriously messed up my leg sparring (damn cross training :) ). It took the urging of a number of people for me not to run it. I was saying things like "I may be able to get 5 or 6 miles out and then I'll just limp the rest". I purposely left my running clothes home the night before so I would not be tempted to go run it in the morning.

We all know how tough you are Nick, but somtimes the body needs to rest a bit.

-dave

Phonedave

I try to find amusement in them too Dave, BUT when that dog seems to be chasing me in aggression I just get so PO'd. I mean really mad. I love when people think that THEIR (I love how Dave emphasized that) dog is so trained that it will never leave their masters side and try to eat my face off. yet, that dog is the one to peel off the masters side and start running behind me nipping at my ankles or running next to me if they are big.

One this past winter was a German Shepard. Nice. I posted it here back then, but as a reminder, he charged me from the front and started barking at me aggressively. Once the owner got it under control, they didnt seem very apologetic, so I cursed them and told them to get their dog on a (expletive, expletive) leash. :D

A good kick to the sternum will stop many dogs, but then I don't want to do that because it is NOT the dogs fault.

Maybe I should go over and kick the owner.

-dave

JillC LI

The park I run in has signs everywhere - Dogs must be leashed.

Of course everyone thinks that does not pertain to THEIR special dog. I like when I run by somone with their dog off leash and the dog decides to follow me for a run, and the owner has to chase after us.

Small things like that amuse me.

-dave

Even the friendliest, most well-behaved dog will get excited and want to follow a moving human target. Why people can't anticipate this is beyond me.

Be careful Nick not to do some real damage to your body. It might be trying to tell you something. Im the first out the door when I have an injury and run through it, but you are running three times the mileage I did. Dont hurt yourself to the point you cant go at all.

I have to agree with Joel and Dave here. Nick, you are an amazing athlete for whom we all have great respect. But you need to respect when your body is telling you it needs to heal. Otherwise, you will be out of the game even longer. Commitment and discipline are wonderful traits - obsessive dedication to the point of self-injury is not. Take a few days off. You won't lose any noticeable fitness after just a few days. You might go stir-crazy knowing you, but you will be able to pick right back up where you left off even stronger than before.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Jill, Dave and Joel, thanks for the concern. You are all right. I know I don't always listen and perhaps I push myself a little too far, but I guess that's part of my personality; never settling for great, and going for being-singled-out-extraordinary. Def going to take it easy for this IBU 50 miler in August (Dave did I add you to the group???).

Oh well, 15.33 miles and 65 push-ups this morning. Fairly warm and foggy, and my knees and hips felt much better than yesterday, so I kicked it up to an 8:15 pace the entire way instead of an 8:30-9:00. S__________g down water like there's no tomorrow. Went back to my Nathan hydration vest (yeah, I dyed it black...and the set-up can't be matched) and have it loaded with a Camelbak 2 liter bladder, a 10 oz Nathan pod in one of the holsters, and a 12oz Amphipod handheld. Zensa compression/recovery sleeves on my legs for the past couple of weeks as well.

I won't dissappoint...beer now. Cheers folks.

Phonedave

Jill, Dave and Joel, thanks for the concern. You are all right. I know I don't always listen and perhaps I push myself a little too far, but I guess that's part of my personality; never settling for great, and going for being-singled-out-extraordinary. Def going to take it easy for this IBU 50 miler in August (Dave did I add you to the group???).
Oh well, 15.33 miles and 65 push-ups this morning. Fairly warm and foggy, and my knees and hips felt much better than yesterday, so I kicked it up to an 8:15 pace the entire way instead of an 8:30-9:00. S__________g down water like there's no tomorrow. Went back to my Nathan hydration vest (yeah, I dyed it black...and the set-up can't be matched) and have it loaded with a Camelbak 2 liter bladder, a 10 oz Nathan pod in one of the holsters, and a 12oz Amphipod handheld. Zensa compression/recovery sleeves on my legs for the past couple of weeks as well.

I won't dissappoint...beer now. Cheers folks.

Yep Nick, you got me.

I guess i have to start adding weekly miles again.

I really think I have to start running in the AM before work. I hate it, but I think thats how it's going to have to be.

-dave

JillC LI

I really think I have to start running in the AM before work. I hate it, but I think thats how it's going to have to be.

-dave

I hate it too, but if I don't run in the morning, it's unlikely I will run at all so I force myself out of bed at 5:$5am. Did an easy 3 miles this morning. Kicked it up for the final quarter mile because I heard footsteps getting near behind me, and when I took a peek, I saw a woman that I see running from time to time in the neighborhood, and I didn't want her to pass me. LOL. Don't know her at all, but didn't want to be passed during an easy training run. So silly.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Yep Nick, you got me.

I guess i have to start adding weekly miles again.

-dave

Yeah, that's when I get my training runs in. Up at 4:30am, fix my wife's lunch and out the door before work.

15.51 miles at 8min pace and 65 push-ups this morning. Legs felt GREAT, which is really strange, but I enjoyed it, regardless of the heat.

2 oranges, 1 apple and a few dried dates pre-run. 2 Cliff shot gels (Double espresso turbo and strawberry) during run, plus a ton of water. Hummus with a spoon when I got back.

The increase of heat, my mileage and the fact that I run an out-and-back course from my house requires me to carry a ton of stuff: 2 liters of water in Nathan vest plus a 10 oz pod in one of the holsters, a 12 oz and sometimes a 22 oz hand-held water bottle, a holster full of gels, etc...the weigt wreaks havoc on my my back. I always need to be ready.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA and a DFH 90min IPA now...Cheers folks.

fmingo36

Kicked it up for the final quarter mile because I heard footsteps getting near behind me, and when I took a peek, I saw a woman that I see running from time to time in the neighborhood, and I didn't want her to pass me. LOL. Don't know her at all, but didn't want to be passed during an easy training run. So silly.

Hahahaha---I've done that before. :lol:

sorry I dont know if this is the right place but Yesterday after walking 2.4 to 2.8 MPH on average for the past couple of months I had a breakthrough. It could be cause I have a treadmill now but I actually have starting jogging...I cant sustain it that far right now but I hit 3.5 mph (I am only 4' 11", that speed takes me into a light jog). I feel great today!!:sohappy:

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
That spoon must have been tough to get down.

-dave

Nothing to it...it's passing it, however, is whole different story :lookaroun:D

16.25 miles plus 65 push-ups this morning. Foggy, warm, and south winds. Legs felt good, but my body is a bit tired. Haven't had a good night's sleep in a few weeks and it's catching up to me.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA and a Founders Double Trouble IPA now.

Cheers folks.

scorp111

A solid Fiver to start Friday, it was nice and cooler around 60 degrees when I ran ......

Consistent splits:
1 00:09:02
2 00:08:52
3 00:08:49
4 00:09:00
5 00:08:49

TGIF everyone

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
16.51 miles and 78 push-ups this morning, nearing 80 degrees :hurl:

The BENNYs have already traveled from North Jersey and NY and have infiltrated our wonderful boardwalks...I'll never understand the guys with the big diamond earings, waxed eyebrows, spikey-gelled hair, wife-beaters and their fancy Versace sunglasses. GO HOME BENNY!!! And I'll never understand why they taunt me as I run by :shrug: A______s.

Oh well, enjoy the the Memorial Day weekend.

Lots o' beer to come, cheers folks.

JillC LI

sorry I dont know if this is the right place but Yesterday after walking 2.4 to 2.8 MPH on average for the past couple of months I had a breakthrough. It could be cause I have a treadmill now but I actually have starting jogging...I cant sustain it that far right now but I hit 3.5 mph (I am only 4' 11", that speed takes me into a light jog). I feel great today!!:sohappy:

Way to go! Keep it up! We all have to start somewhere, and starting is the hardest part.

scorp111

I finally figured out how to really slow down my LSR's....

Run Twice in a day:) I added ten miles yesterday afternoon to the five I did yesterday morning and made it a "Fifteen Miler Friday"

10 miles from Two Rivers Park to LP Field and back @ 10:30 pace

The first five were good, the last five tougher, but the fifteen miles is a new daily high for me, and it was warmer, so I am happy with it.

I ran again yesterday so that I didn't have to get up early for a long run today, but it is 6:30am and I am awake.:shrug:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
A good kick to the sternum will stop many dogs, but then I don't want to do that because it is NOT the dogs fault.

Maybe I should go over and kick the owner.

-dave
I agree, but like you said, it isnt the dogs fault, it is how the dog has been or a lack there of trained. I would like to kick the owners in the balls and take the dog with me and rescue them.

Nick,

I am all for pushing through pain, but sometimes the laws of physics come into play. If you tear an LCL, I don't care how tough you can be, your not going to be running - it just won't physicaly happen.

Take if from somone who just took about 2 weeks off (including missing a scheduled and paid for 1/2 marathon) because I seriously messed up my leg sparring (damn cross training :) ). It took the urging of a number of people for me not to run it. I was saying things like "I may be able to get 5 or 6 miles out and then I'll just limp the rest". I purposely left my running clothes home the night before so I would not be tempted to go run it in the morning.

We all know how tough you are Nick, but somtimes the body needs to rest a bit.

-dave
What he said. There is nothing wrong and nothing non tough about listening to your body and taking a break.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I could post my mileage for the last week, but they are shorts runs and non impressive. :lol:

Last Monday, I took Isabeau on our first run together in my super awesome jogging stroller. We did 2 miles as a tester. We got back about 6:15ish. I started cooking dinner a little later and Sam looks at me and says she doesnt feel right. Hmmmm. I started cooking in turbo mode knowing that something might be up. At 7 she called the hospital with contractions about 3 minutes apart. :eek: I called my neighbor and she ran over to watch Isabeau and we took off to the hospital. Mind you, I was also in the middle of working on the new Kingdom Konsultant site when Sam said it was go time (the official launch was in 12 hours).

We got checked in to the hospital at 8pm. At 9:56 Rivers was born. :eek: Glad we didnt get in any traffic. That was quick. Rivers had to go to the NICU for 3 days for precautionary reasons but she informed them in the first 5 hours she was there that she didnt plan on staying long. She has champion lungs.

Anyway, just thought Id give a little summary of "What did I do..." in the last week. I got a 4 miler in Thursday morning. I plan on taking Isabeau this am on a run. It is a whole different ballgame pushing 30 pounds in front of you. Holy Cow.

As most know, Im in survival mode and just trying to stay afloat and getting the strength to run when I can (hopefully ever other day). It is a much needed mental break and hope to be back in action this fall with a schedule.

After 4 days of our neighborhood internet being down, Ill post pictures sometime today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom