What did you do?

scorp111

Congrats! That's fabulous! :sohappy:

Good to know what Seattle has to offer... headed there for Memorial Day weekend. Not sure what the specific suburb of Seattle will offer us during our stay, but it sounds pretty nice (with the sad exception of the homeless people).

Ran two days in a row for the first time on Wednesday and yesterday- 3.3mi in 36:00 on Wed, and 2.0 miles yesterday in 21:36. Now that I've hit the 5K mark, I think it might be a good first step to try building up my per week mileage... going to try running 4 days a week, then 5 later on. Figure if I can run some consecutive days, that will help build up some endurance. Any other tips from any of you amazing gurus on making the transition from the 5K to longer distances, as always, are greatly appreciated from this newbie. ;) Up for tomorrow: Komen Race for the Cure 5K in Detroit.
4-5 days a week is probably right, the general guide is not to up your weekly mileage by more than 10% per week.

Good luck on your race !

scorp111

Another 4 miles on tired legs on the Greenway.

09:35 pace and I am happy with it.

A quick thunderstorm cooled it off to 80 degrees, so I decided to go for my 2nd run of the day. 350 Feet of Elevation Gain in 4 miles, so it wasn't flat. But a good run on tired legs and I am now over 400 miles for 2011. :)

lpet11984

Another 4 miles on tired legs on the Greenway.

09:35 pace and I am happy with it.

A quick thunderstorm cooled it off to 80 degrees, so I decided to go for my 2nd run of the day. 350 Feet of Elevation Gain in 4 miles, so it wasn't flat. But a good run on tired legs and I am now over 400 miles for 2011. :)

That's AWESOME! Congrats on the mileage!

4-5 days a week is probably right, the general guide is not to up your weekly mileage by more than 10% per week.

Good luck on your race !

Thanks!

Race went really well. Got warm really fast, but was still able to manage at just over a 10:00/mi pace. According to the GPS, it was just about 3 miles instead of 3.1, but either way I was pretty pleased to have finished the race in 30:33. Really turned up the pace at the end when I saw I could finish under 31:00. The greatest part though was seeing SO many people (about 40K) all come out in support of Race for the Cure. Very touching to see all the pink ribbons lining the course, the signs of support and running for loved ones.

Looking forward to starting to add some mileage this week.

fmingo36

I just read this...

and...waiting for Joel, Dave, Coryna, Jill, and Steve's mouths to drop...The McNaughton 200 mile ultramarathon in Vermont, 2012. Yeah, I'll let that one sink in...:D

And yup, my mouth just dropped :eek:

I give you props just for even entertaining the idea.
You are an inspiration to all of us!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I'm registered for PeachTree Road Race on July 4th and not looking forward to Cardiac Hill. So, I decided to test out the hills of Montgomery this morning for the annual Jubilee CityFest 8k.

Weather was cloudy with temps hovering around 68-70*. Unfortunately, humidity was high around 89%. Finish time of 54:40 (watch) or 54:56 (clock). Overall the run wasn't too bad. The hills were challenging at times. But, the worst part had to be the camber of the roads through the residential portion.

If you want to see the course and/or elevation, hit the link below

http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=111417
I feel you pain on this one. Im slightly north of you and it was a hot one yesterday.

scorp111

10K in 58:26 on the Greenway at Shelby Bottoms ...

Every mile was between 9:20 and 9:40...I will take it.
More consistent than yesterday and after a 10 mile Saturday, I could definitely feel it in my legs.
Already 80 Degrees when I finished. Hope everyone has a good Sunday.

I am now over 600 miles logged since October 6th when I started running :)

fmingo36

1 hour of yoga and 5.6 miles (outside :)). What a difference between running on the treadmill and running outside. This was the easiest run I've had in a looooong time.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I just read this...

And yup, my mouth just dropped :eek:

I give you props just for even entertaining the idea.
You are an inspiration to all of us!

Thanks Coryna! Perhaps the McNaughton 150 would be more logical since I'm running the NJ ultra 100 miler again just a month before...but we'll see.

14.25 miles this morning with my tried and true Nathan hydration pack, plus 65 pushups.

I started that ultrarunner's "club," the IBUs (Irascible B_____d/B___H Ultrarunners) this week, which a few of you on these forums are now a part of, including a couple of local ultra guys near me. To kick off the group, I will be doing a solo 50 mile ultra on Aug 13th up and down the NJ beach, so stay tuned on FB for details.

Cheers, folks.

joel_maxwell

Thanks Coryna! Perhaps the McNaughton 150 would be more logical since I'm running the NJ ultra 100 miler again just a month before...but we'll see.

14.25 miles this morning with my tried and true Nathan hydration pack, plus 65 pushups.

I started that ultrarunner's "club," the IBUs (Irascible B_____d/B___H Ultrarunners) this week, which a few of you on these forums are now a part of, including a couple of local ultra guys near me. To kick off the group, I will be doing a solo 50 mile ultra on Aug 13th up and down the NJ beach, so stay tuned on FB for details.

Cheers, folks.
I havent had a chance in 4 days to get on FB to check it out. Ill try tonight.

joel_maxwell

5 miles this AM. It was very hot. It was already 76 at 7am.

I ran about an 8:40 pace. My legs are super tired form all the yard work yesterday.

push ups afterwards and no Baby Rivers yet.

BTW, I got attacked by that cat again. It ran up to me this time and jumped, landed on my leg and start clawing at me. Luckily, it had been de-clawed or that cat would be dead. I proceeded to curse and chase it for a few houses. Im sure the neighbors stood in amazement if anyone witnessed that.

dreamfinder

1 hr Sat & Sun each at a 7:03 or so pace so about 8.45 mi each. Last week of taper before the full on Sunday. Ehhh.... Wife threatening to leave me behind after the race if I don't get a BQ time worries me more so than the actual race. Praying for low/mid fifties with no rain.

Phonedave

After some nagging injuries, a full schedule of the softball team I coach, and personal committments, I got back out there.

I had not run in 2 weeks, so it's back to square one. I need to notch a few (not many) more races to hit the Gold Phidippies I am shooting for. The Wine and Dine half is also locked in, so thats in my sights.

4 miles at a 9:50 pace. Not quite what I am used to banging out on a weekend, but I'll take if for now.

-dave

joel_maxwell

After some nagging injuries, a full schedule of the softball team I coach, and personal committments, I got back out there.

I had not run in 2 weeks, so it's back to square one. I need to notch a few (not many) more races to hit the Gold Phidippies I am shooting for. The Wine and Dine half is also locked in, so thats in my sights.

4 miles at a 9:50 pace. Not quite what I am used to banging out on a weekend, but I'll take if for now.

-dave
Glad to see you back Dave.

JillC LI

Jill, you sound like my wife :lol: Now if you can just put your head in your hands, and slowly rock back and forth cursing under your breath...:D

LOL, no need for that. She's the one who has to live with you! :ROFLOL:

Ran two days in a row for the first time on Wednesday and yesterday- 3.3mi in 36:00 on Wed, and 2.0 miles yesterday in 21:36. Now that I've hit the 5K mark, I think it might be a good first step to try building up my per week mileage... going to try running 4 days a week, then 5 later on. Figure if I can run some consecutive days, that will help build up some endurance. Any other tips from any of you amazing gurus on making the transition from the 5K to longer distances, as always, are greatly appreciated from this newbie. ;) Up for tomorrow: Komen Race for the Cure 5K in Detroit.

Sounds like you're doing great. In order to increase endurance, I would recommend increasing your weekly mileage. You can do that either by increasing the number of days you run, or alternatively by increasing the distance you run on certain days. I'd recommend a 4 day per week running schedule and trying to add 1 mile to your "long" run every other week. As Steve said, the rule of thumb is, do not increase either your total weekly mileage or yor long run by more than about 10% per week. How'd the Koman 5K go?

no Baby Rivers yet.

BTW, I got attacked by that cat again. It ran up to me this time and jumped, landed on my leg and start clawing at me. Luckily, it had been de-clawed or that cat would be dead. I proceeded to curse and chase it for a few houses. Im sure the neighbors stood in amazement if anyone witnessed that.

Still waiting for the big announcement. As for the cat, I sympathize. One of my routes takes me past a house with a huge dog in the yard. It is always fenced in, but it starts to bark so loud and jump at the fence so hard when I pass that it always scares the begeesus out of me. Once I had a small dog apear out of nowhere and start running after me yipping and nipping. I literally had to stand still and wait for it to leave because it ran after me as soon as I moved. Didn't even know where it came from.

Last week of taper before the full on Sunday. Ehhh.... Wife threatening to leave me behind after the race if I don't get a BQ time worries me more so than the actual race.

Good luck with that BQ!

As for me, 3 miles this morning at an average of 9:34 min pace, but it was more of a tempo run where I didn't pay attention to the pace for the first and last miles but I tried to stay under 9 min for the middle mile. Definitely not ready to keep up that pace for a full 5K yet. Still have time to train though.

Phonedave

As for the cat, I sympathize. One of my routes takes me past a house with a huge dog in the yard. It is always fenced in, but it starts to bark so loud and jump at the fence so hard when I pass that it always scares the begeesus out of me. Once I had a small dog apear out of nowhere and start running after me yipping and nipping. I literally had to stand still and wait for it to leave because it ran after me as soon as I moved. Didn't even know where it came from.

The park I run in has signs everywhere - Dogs must be leashed.

Of course everyone thinks that does not pertain to THEIR special dog. I like when I run by somone with their dog off leash and the dog decides to follow me for a run, and the owner has to chase after us.

Small things like that amuse me.

-dave

joel_maxwell

The park I run in has signs everywhere - Dogs must be leashed.

Of course everyone thinks that does not pertain to THEIR special dog. I like when I run by somone with their dog off leash and the dog decides to follow me for a run, and the owner has to chase after us.

Small things like that amuse me.

-dave
I try to find amusement in them too Dave, BUT when that dog seems to be chasing me in aggression I just get so PO'd. I mean really mad. I love when people think that THEIR (I love how Dave emphasized that) dog is so trained that it will never leave their masters side and try to eat my face off. yet, that dog is the one to peel off the masters side and start running behind me nipping at my ankles or running next to me if they are big.

One this past winter was a German Shepard. Nice. I posted it here back then, but as a reminder, he charged me from the front and started barking at me aggressively. Once the owner got it under control, they didnt seem very apologetic, so I cursed them and told them to get their dog on a (expletive, expletive) leash. :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
5 miles this AM. It was very hot. It was already 76 at 7am.

I ran about an 8:40 pace. My legs are super tired form all the yard work yesterday.

push ups afterwards and no Baby Rivers yet.

:ROFLOL: You and that damn cat!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
15.25 miles plus 65 push-ups this morning.
13.25 miles plus 65 push-ups yesterday.
16.25 miles plus 65 push -ups on Saturday.

My knees, right LCL, and both hip rotators are BEAT to hell. I am icing, Tiger-Balming, elevating, and stretching like crazy. The first few miles of my runs are so miserable, but okay, at best, afterwards.

Planning my solo 50 mile ultra for August 13th. Those of you who I'm connected to on FB, stay tuned for details. I'm going as far as having an ultra finisher buckle made for the occasion:
2011 Irascible B______d Ultramarathon - 50 Mile Solo - Finisher

And, I think my wife's cousin will pace me for the last 10 miles (carrying extra water, keeping me on track, etc...) and planning a big BBQ/party with friends (the few that we have) and family after I cross our drive-way. I'll create an "Event" on FB and send it out.

Beer now, of course. Cheers folks.

joel_maxwell

:ROFLOL: You and that damn cat!
I was such in a zone, it scared the crap out of me. It was 6am for crying out loud... on a SUNDAY. I should be sleeping in.

15.25 miles plus 65 push-ups this morning.
13.25 miles plus 65 push-ups yesterday.
16.25 miles plus 65 push -ups on Saturday.

My knees, right LCL, and both hip rotators are BEAT to hell. I am icing, Tiger-Balming, elevating, and stretching like crazy. The first few miles of my runs are so miserable, but okay, at best, afterwards.

Planning my solo 50 mile ultra for August 13th. Those of you who I'm connected to on FB, stay tuned for details. I'm going as far as having an ultra finisher buckle made for the occasion:
2011 Irascible B______d Ultramarathon - 50 Mile Solo - Finisher

And, I think my wife's cousin will pace me for the last 10 miles (carrying extra water, keeping me on track, etc...) and planning a big BBQ/party with friends (the few that we have) and family after I cross our drive-way. I'll create an "Event" on FB and send it out.

Beer now, of course. Cheers folks.
Be careful Nick not to do some real damage to your body. It might be trying to tell you something. Im the first out the door when I have an injury and run through it, but you are running three times the mileage I did. Dont hurt yourself to the point you cant go at all.

scorp111

Just a quick (for me) 5K this evening.... 27:07 (8:44 per mile)

It was warm, and getting ready to storm, so glad to get something in on a weeknight. Not so easy when I am still staying in a hotel. Just a week left of that, thank goodness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom