What did you do?

scorp111

Ran my longest distance yet- full 5K today in just over 34:00. Pretty excited I was actually able to do it. Not going to lie, around 2.5 miles, I had the line "just f'ing go" in my head- thanks for that, Nick! ;)

Mile 1: 10:59
Mile 2: 10:59
Mile 3: 11:02
Finish (total): 34:12

Alright, my apologies in advance for the n00b question, but I'm wondering just what are these gels, stingers and things everyone is talking about... I remember seeing something at my local running store called "Gu" as well. Is that the same thing? Under what circumstances would you need these? For when you're running longer races to keep your calories up? I can't imagine eating anything while running though (it's bad enough if I eat the wrong thing before I run, I get nauseous).

Great job on your 5K!!

On the right track with gels/stingers, all energy (calorie) supplements used generally in runs of 90 minutes or longer. These are used to boost carbs intake. They are particularly important the longer the distance you are going to run. There are all different types and each person has their own likes and dislikes. Many of us (including me) use Honey Stingers which is just a particular brand of gel. Nick and Joel suggested them when I started running, and they are in fact, all I have ever used. I use them in training runs of 9 miles or longer, and used two of them in my first half marathon (4.5 and 9 mile marks) in February.

lpet11984

Thanks Ariel and scorp for the information- the link was helpful, as well as your descriptions. It's good to know before I start training for the half that it's something I should consider- not just training in the run, but needing to train the body to take in food and trying things to find what works best. Any other information also appreciated- Will definitely look into it when the time comes!

scorp111

Final training run before Saturday's half.....

3.1 miles on the TM @26:42

Ran the first mile on 6% incline, and then lowered it back down to 1% for miles 2 and 3.

Nasty storms today in the South, hope Joel faired ok in Birmingham.

dreamfinder

Alright, my apologies in advance for the n00b question, but I'm wondering just what are these gels, stingers and things everyone is talking about... I remember seeing something at my local running store called "Gu" as well. Is that the same thing? Under what circumstances would you need these? For when you're running longer races to keep your calories up? I can't imagine eating anything while running though (it's bad enough if I eat the wrong thing before I run, I get nauseous).

Think of it like flavored sugar syrup. Obviously most of them are more complex than that with extra vitamins/minerals/electrolytes your body also looses, but its really a quick way to get some calories/energy into your system.

Some, like gu are really just a sugar (fructose) syrup. Like a molasses type consistency. Others offer the same benefits, but through gummies, bars, jelly beans, all sorts of different methods. Some people can't swallow the goo while running, have issues opening the package, whatever, so they find it easier to just eat a few jelly beans or gummy bears to get a similar effect. I do believe though that the gels work faster as your body has less to break down.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I forgot that this race was called the Country Music Half/Marathon. If ever there was a kind of music I love to run to, it's country!!!!!! Good luck! Are there any big name country artists performing on the course?
Good lord. :lol: That is where we differ. I am not forgetting my ishuffle to listen to my scores on this one.

Yes! Body Glide lasts and lasts and lasts. Served me well for a 5 hour marathon. In fact, sometimes my skin still feels slick after I shower in some of the places where I apply it.
Sold.

From what I hear, it is a bunch of local artists on the course (like every mile), and there is a post race concert Saturday night by Montgomery Gentry apparently.

I am really running this one because:

A. I have heard it is a fun race
B. I havent ran a large race yet, so this will be interesting with around 30K between the half/full apparently

Good practice for my planned first full, the St. Jude in December.

By the way, Joel, now saying 52 for early Saturday morning....
Excellent. Thanks for the update. Woot Woot.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Ran my longest distance yet- full 5K today in just over 34:00. Pretty excited I was actually able to do it. Not going to lie, around 2.5 miles, I had the line "just f'ing go" in my head- thanks for that, Nick! ;)

How dare you ask such a newbie question! Just kidding. Yes, gels are sometimes a must when running marathons, ultramarathons, and even long training runs. You have to keep your cals up, electrolytes in balance, and sometimes you just need a quick energy boost.
EXPERIMENT. You will find what works and what doesn't for you when you try several. I was an advocate for Honey Stingers and got lots o' folks on those. They taste great, work fast, no bad ingredients, but I sugar-crash after, so I need to keep taking them. GU is just plain gross to me and it turns my stomache. Clif turbo shots taste good and work great. Hammer gels work really well, but the texture and after taste aren't all that great.
Good luck.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

A.

Congratulations!! :sohappy:

joel_maxwell

[/B]

How dare you ask such a newbie question! Just kidding. Yes, gels are sometimes a must when running marathons, ultramarathons, and even long training runs. You have to keep your cals up, electrolytes in balance, and sometimes you just need a quick energy boost.
EXPERIMENT. You will find what works and what doesn't for you when you try several. I was an advocate for Honey Stingers and got lots o' folks on those. They taste great, work fast, no bad ingredients, but I sugar-crash after, so I need to keep taking them. GU is just plain gross to me and it turns my stomache. Clif turbo shots taste good and work great. Hammer gels work really well, but the texture and after taste aren't all that great.
Good luck.
Also, remember that it takes about 45 minutes for these to be digested and into you system. So, if you are in the middle of a training run, make sure you have at least that amount of time or more before slamming one. I always chuckle when i see people eating a GU packet at mile 12 in a half. I guess they are getting energy for the drive home.

The golden rule is dont mix gels and juice (powerade/gatorade). I can though. I have a solid GI system for the most part and up until this point, luckily, I have never experienced any problems using both. *fingers crossed*

The gels do however need water to help get them digested, so make sure you sip some after taking one.

Good Luck! :wave:

Phonedave

Also, remember that it takes about 45 minutes for these to be digested and into you system. So, if you are in the middle of a training run, make sure you have at least that amount of time or more before slamming one. I always chuckle when i see people eating a GU packet at mile 12 in a half. I guess they are getting energy for the drive home.

The golden rule is dont mix gels and juice (powerade/gatorade). I can though. I have a solid GI system for the most part and up until this point, luckily, I have never experienced any problems using both. *fingers crossed*

The gels do however need water to help get them digested, so make sure you sip some after taking one.

Good Luck! :wave:

I am with you there. I know you are supposd to ease into new suppliments, not eat anything new before a race, etc. I - so far- have a cast iron stomach. Not much (unless it is spoiled) gives me problems. I don't use "juice" just because I prefer water.

I used to use GU Chomps (I did not like the GU Gels) and I have used Cliff Shot Blox. I love Cliff Bars (use them when hiking) but the Blox get hung in my teeth forever. Like trying to chew glue.

The GU (Cranberry with caffene) are what I used to use. Now I use Honey Stingers. The Stingers are just Honey with some B Vitimans in them. One kind has caffene added as well. The Chocolate Honey Stinger does not thrill me. It tastes "fuzzy" if that makes any sense. I don't have the sugar crash problem with them that others seem to have. But then I don't take suppliments unless I am going over 8 miles. I also don't drink unless I am over 6 miles, and sometimes not on an 8 mile run if it is cool enough out, but I don't recommend that people do that - hydration is important, I just don't listen to my own advice.

-dave

joel_maxwell

I am with you there. I know you are supposd to ease into new suppliments, not eat anything new before a race, etc. I - so far- have a cast iron stomach. Not much (unless it is spoiled) gives me problems. I don't use "juice" just because I prefer water.

I used to use GU Chomps (I did not like the GU Gels) and I have used Cliff Shot Blox. I love Cliff Bars (use them when hiking) but the Blox get hung in my teeth forever. Like trying to chew glue.

The GU (Cranberry with caffene) are what I used to use. Now I use Honey Stingers. The Stingers are just Honey with some B Vitimans in them. One kind has caffene added as well. The Chocolate Honey Stinger does not thrill me. It tastes "fuzzy" if that makes any sense. I don't have the sugar crash problem with them that others seem to have. But then I don't take suppliments unless I am going over 8 miles. I also don't drink unless I am over 6 miles, and sometimes not on an 8 mile run if it is cool enough out, but I don't recommend that people do that - hydration is important, I just don't listen to my own advice.

-dave
I dont temp my luck with the gels with caffeine. I know how well my coffee works, :lookaroun , so I dont push it on long runs.

JillC LI

Good lord. :lol: That is where we differ. I am not forgetting my ishuffle to listen to my scores on this one.

LOL, your loss!

I can't imagine eating anything while running though (it's bad enough if I eat the wrong thing before I run, I get nauseous).

Congratulations! :sohappy: I won't repeat what everyone else has said about the gels, etc., but I will tell you that before I started running longer distances, I used to get nauseous if I ate before I ran, and I couldn't imagine eating WHILE I ran, but you truly do get used to it if you pick a type of refuel that agrees with you. Luckily for me, now I do just fine with almost any combination. I can even eat a normal meal and then go right out for a run. But you'll learn as you begin training for that Half you mentioned. It probably won't be necessary until your runs start to exceed 9 or 10 miles.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
11.75 miles this morning. Very foggy and south winds.

One more run tomorrow and then I take a day off (maybe just 10 miles) on Saturday just to relax for the marathon on Sunday.
It sounds normal to me, but whenever I tell anyone that I do 25-30 miles every Saturday on top of my 11-13 miles /day, they say, "why do you even bother with a full marathon when a full is like a warm-up to you?" I don't know, the SWAG/bling? An excuse to drink beer at 11am? Sure...

Cheers everyone!

scorp111

That's what I was thinking too... even the CM half has the GU at the 10.1 mile mark. With 3 miles to go in the half, by the time you take it, it might help your final mile. I plan on my honey stinger at 4.5 and 9.0 or so, which is what worked in my first half.

Picked up my packet today, nice big expo at the Convention Center here in Nashville.

dreamfinder

That's what I was thinking too... even the CM half has the GU at the 10.1 mile mark. With 3 miles to go in the half, by the time you take it, it might help your final mile. I plan on my honey stinger at 4.5 and 9.0 or so, which is what worked in my first half.

Picked up my packet today, nice big expo at the Convention Center here in Nashville.

10.1 does seem late. I usually recall seeing them at 9 or so.

joel_maxwell

Leaving Birmingham now. Should be up there by lunch.

Think I might hang in the park for awhile and read in the sunshine this afternoon.

Good luck tomorrow. :wave:

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Good luck to both of you!
(You too Nick, even though the marathon is just one of your regular long runs! :animwink:)

Thanks Jill! Yeah I running it like a training run and hopefully I can sub 04:00. Picked up my race packet today at he expo, which I will go back to tomorrow and spend some time checking stuff out.

lpet11984

Thanks so much again for all the congrats and information- huge help! :)

Ran 2 miles in 23:30 today- had to cut things short in order to make a dinner date with some friends. Not quite the pace I was at last time, but I was so focussed on making sure I finished things up early so I could ice and clean up before dinner that I just didn't feel like I had the same groove going. Will run again on Sunday and go for the 5K again.

Good luck this weekend, jmax, Steve, and Nick!! Can't wait to hear about your success!

scorp111

13.21 miles in 2:12:05
I missed my PR by 4:07. This course had almost 800 ft in elevation gain, and 878 in loss, so it was up and down. It also became quite warm at the end!
Pleased with the effort, and I had my PR through miles 7 or 8, but just ran out of gas. The hills really drove the splits as well.
My first big event, with over 30K runners, and it was well organized and I had fun, just wish I hadn't faded like I did.
Nothing out of the ordinary physically, a small blister, and some very tired legs.
1 8:42
2 8:28
3 9:29
4 9:50
5 10:17
6 9:19
7 9:58
8 10:53
9 9:46
10 10:28
11 10:31
12 11:05
13 11:13
.2 1:41

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom