What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Just back a few hours ago from the NJ Marathon. I'll post a report a little later but:
03:43...so, the ultramarathoner can pull out a respectable regular marathon time! The Machine is back...
So many people pulling off to the sides, cramping up, winded, walking, but not moi...cool as a cucumber (with some minor stomache turning), and finishing strong @ a 5:07 pace and 27 pushups after I crossed the finish with my sweet bling. Report more later, cheers everyone!
Cant wait to hear about it. Nice Job Machine!

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Ok, So I finished the NJ Marathon in 03:43:30. I went into this race hoping for a sub 4 but I didn't expect it.
Weather was great. Started off strong and found my pace group pretty early around mile 3. My stomache was turning the entire race and I have no idea why.
There were a few early hills, and that's where I made my move to pass people, since I do pretty well with hills.
Mile 11, my body was feeling great and I noticed alot of "marathon-looking" people pulling off to the side and cramping up, huffing-and puffing, etc...I don't think I gasped for air once. Several people I passed or paced with asked how I wasn't getting winded or getting too hot (all black of course, tights and long sleeve). I just shrugged.
I passed a guy around mile 13 who I see on my training runs, and he always speeds past me, and has his little Ironman triathelon tattoo...he fell back and that gave me some motivation. I thought, holy crap, I think I might sub 4!
Steady and calm until mile 21...I kicked it up a few notches.
Homesstretch, about mile, I broke out into a full sprint (5:07/min) and passed SO many people.
I crossed the finish line, old man put my sweet bling (which happens to have my great state shape in the middle and it spins!), I walked over to where my wife, mother-in-law, and my friend his wife and kid were, I dropped and did 27 push-ups for good measure.
At home I cracked open an oaked version of Arrogant ______________ and relaxed until we met our friends for dinner later on. That's all she wrote.
Cheers everyone!

anc33

I did my first trail race yesterday, 10M, and had a great time. Unfortunately my actual finishing time was not so great but the course was pretty wild. There were chest high stream crossings, near vertical ascents and descents, lots of branches and things to crawl under, over, and across on the off trail portions and some mud thrown in for good measure. Now that I know what to expect I will definitely be more prepared for the next one.

JillC LI

Thanks. Im so glad to be in the club. I cant wait to run another in the next couple of years to improve on my time. Ill probably do the local race since race day temps are always in the low 30's. That would be ideal for me.

My wife Sam couldnt make it since the doctor wont let her travel. She is 8 months pregnant. She was very upset. My parents were going to go, but, things always come up and they didnt make it. Their loss. My aunt and uncle who LOVE Nashiville and the Blue Bird cafe were affected by the storms a bit so they couldnt make it. It was a solo experience. Luckily, I have a friend that live there, so he took my in and showed excellent hospitality for me.

After the race, I couldnt lift my legs to step up on a curb without them locking up. It was horrible. Thank god Drew was there to drive me back to his house. A beer was then consumed while relaxing watching the Braves game. :D Then I had to drive back to Bham.

I couldnt get out of bed this morning without my eyes watering up. It was bad. I havent felt this type pain in my legs since 2 a days in high school football. I know tomorrow might be a little better.

I'm sure Sam was as disappointed that she couldn't be there as you were. She'll make it to that next cold-weather marathon you run. I can't believe you managed to drive home yourself afterwards. Even though I wasn't in pain yet that first night, my legs felt like lead. At least that pain you're feeling now which makes you walk funny gives you a good excuse to tell your story to all that ask! If I may suggest, write down your thoughts about race day in a journal or something; I still love rereading my thoughts about all the details of that day.

Ok, So I finished the NJ Marathon in 03:43:30. I went into this race hoping for a sub 4 but I didn't expect it.
Weather was great. Started off strong and found my pace group pretty early around mile 3. My stomache was turning the entire race and I have no idea why.
There were a few early hills, and that's where I made my move to pass people, since I do pretty well with hills.
Mile 11, my body was feeling great and I noticed alot of "marathon-looking" people pulling off to the side and cramping up, huffing-and puffing, etc...I don't think I gasped for air once. Several people I passed or paced with asked how I wasn't getting winded or getting too hot (all black of course, tights and long sleeve). I just shrugged.
I passed a guy around mile 13 who I see on my training runs, and he always speeds past me, and has his little Ironman triathelon tattoo...he fell back and that gave me some motivation. I thought, holy crap, I think I might sub 4!
Homesstretch, about mile, I broke out into a full sprint (5:07/min) and passed SO many people.
I crossed the finish line, old man put my sweet bling (which happens to have my great state shape in the middle and it spins!), I walked over to where my wife, mother-in-law, and my friend his wife and kid were, I dropped and did 27 push-ups for good measure.
At home I cracked open an oaked version of Arrogant ______________ and relaxed until we met our friends for dinner later on. That's all she wrote.
Cheers everyone!

Well of course you outlasted so many others, Nick. They're not machines like you are! Congratulations. Simply amazing time. Then again, I do go faster on my "short runs" as well. ;)

I did my first trail race yesterday, 10M, and had a great time. Unfortunately my actual finishing time was not so great but the course was pretty wild. There were chest high stream crossings, near vertical ascents and descents, lots of branches and things to crawl under, over, and across on the off trail portions and some mud thrown in for good measure. Now that I know what to expect I will definitely be more prepared for the next one.

That sounds way cool! Congratulations. How does one train for something like that?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Ok, some official numbers from the NJ Marathon:

Time: 03:43:18
Place: 367/1856
10k split: 51:24
HM split: 1:50:25
Best pace: 4:57/min
Calories burned: 2,653
Push-ups after finish line: 27
Beers consumed: 1 oked Arrogant B (@ home), 2 Black&Tan (draft @ dinner)

joel_maxwell

Cheers everyone!
Robo Nick at his best!

I'm sure Sam was as disappointed that she couldn't be there as you were. She'll make it to that next cold-weather marathon you run. I can't believe you managed to drive home yourself afterwards. Even though I wasn't in pain yet that first night, my legs felt like lead. At least that pain you're feeling now which makes you walk funny gives you a good excuse to tell your story to all that ask! If I may suggest, write down your thoughts about race day in a journal or something; I still love rereading my thoughts about all the details of that day.
YEs, Sam was pretty upset she couldnt go. She was more upset at the people that had all the means to go but didnt.

It was a 3 hour drive through some really boring highway. Not like Kansas boring, but boring. I played 4 Widespread Panic cd's and sang at the top of my lungs to stay awake. Ha! Went out for a 5 Guys Burger after that. I treated myself to my "Day After the Race" large fountain coke. I hadnt had one since october 3rd, the day after the Wine and Dine. I have to accomplish something like this to treat myself. I truly dont miss them (soda's)

Good idea about the journal. Ill write up some stuff tonight. Here are a few pics. Sorry for the small thumbnails, but I dont buy the real photos. Way to expensive.
Finish2.jpg
Beat Down.
Finish.jpg
Soaked from just pouring water over my head. Say "Im exhausted".
Last-Stretch.jpg
Nashville_Bling.jpg
Start.jpg
32K+ Runners. only a little over 4,000 ran the full.

joel_maxwell

Ok, some official numbers from the NJ Marathon:

Time: 03:43:18
Place: 367/1856
10k split: 51:24
HM split: 1:50:25

Best pace: 4:57/min
Calories burned: 2,653
Push-ups after finish line: 27
Beers consumed: 1 oked Arrogant B (@ home), 2 Black&Tan (draft @ dinner)
I was dead on with you at these points (within a minute/seconds). Just follow Johnny Cash in front of you Joel. :D

What was the temp during your event. I love the science of calorie consumption and HR. With the heat, my HR unfortunately averaged 179. That is about 15 more per minute more than my training runs. My HR high was 189. I think I know exactly where that was too.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Dude, you're the speed guy, I can't believe I kept pace, or was JUST ahead of you in our timing. Speed is just not my thing, but when I saw 03:43:18 on the clock at the finish, I was in complete awe.

Temp was around 69 degrees yesterday. I wasn't wearing my HRM, so I can't tell you my numbers for the BPM.

My thigh muscles are a little tender today, so I only did 6.23 miles this morning. Oh, I'm supposed to rest??? Yeah right.

Great job on your race Joel. What' next? I've got 2 ultras coming up; June and August. Timed 6 hours and a 100k, respectively.

Cheers.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
oh, and for my pics, I posted them on FB because I always have some issue when I post on these boards. Those of you who are linked to me on FB, check 'em out. If you're not linked, just search my name.

joel_maxwell

Dude, you're the speed guy, I can't believe I kept pace, or was JUST ahead of you in our timing. Speed is just not my thing, but when I saw 03:43:18 on the clock at the finish, I was in complete awe.

Temp was around 69 degrees yesterday. I wasn't wearing my HRM, so I can't tell you my numbers for the BPM.

My thigh muscles are a little tender today, so I only did 6.23 miles this morning. Oh, I'm supposed to rest??? Yeah right.

Great job on your race Joel. What' next? I've got 2 ultras coming up; June and August. Timed 6 hours and a 100k, respectively.

Cheers.
Not to take anything away, by any stretch I promise, from your time, but my Garmin was in use to keep that 8:00-8:20 pace for the first half. You know me, if I dont use a tool like that, Ill bust out a 7 or 7:15 mile the first couple. Where I think that you did a fantastic job is keeping that pace over the Full. I think that your efforts and dedication on your daily runs just cant be matched (unless you do that). Your legs are surely developed for endurance. Combo that with a sub 4, excellent job. I will get that sub 4 one day too. Now I want to be in that club. :lol:

Hmmm, not sure. Ill probably try and keep to a routine this summer but I have a new born coming in 1 month. That will present challenges, but I think I can work around it. I also have to respect that Sam will want time to get back in shape too. Ill just maintain over summer and gear up for the Mercedes Half again in February. Try to set a new PR. If all goes well, might do the New Orleans Half instead. It is the same weekend. Just have to convince Sam we need to go down there. Maybe, if she is in shape enough she can do it too. Doug will have to meet us for dinner. :D

dreamfinder

This sounds more like a Tough Mudder than a normal trail race. Was it a Tough Mudder/Warrior Dash? Or just some really gnarly trail race? Most trail races I have done around here are more just slightly beefed up cross country trail deals.

That sounds way cool! Congratulations. How does one train for something like that?

Check out the Tough Mudder suggested training here -> http://toughmudder.com/training-prep/

Or the training for the Warrior Dash as folllows
How do I train for Warrior Dash?

1. Day one: run as far as you can. Go home.
2. Day two: do the same thing.
3. Find the dirtiest pond in your neighborhood and snorkel in it - in your slippers, without goggles.
4. Practice your climbing and crawling skills at your local jungle gym. Ignore the small children and parental glares.
5. Do not shower or shave for weeks in order to obtain a true Warrior look.

Seriously though, your best bet is to do plenty of running leading up to the race.

Today was a 19:30 5k. Woot! New PR, albeit on a treadmill. I always forget how simply doing miles can help to build up your speed over shorter distances.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Not to take anything away, by any stretch I promise, from your time, but my Garmin was in use to keep that 8:00-8:20 pace for the first half. You know me, if I dont use a tool like that, Ill bust out a 7 or 7:15 mile the first couple. Where I think that you did a fantastic job is keeping that pace over the Full. I think that your efforts and dedication on your daily runs just cant be matched (unless you do that). Your legs are surely developed for endurance. Combo that with a sub 4, excellent job. I will get that sub 4 one day too. Now I want to be in that club. :lol:

Hmmm, not sure. Ill probably try and keep to a routine this summer but I have a new born coming in 1 month. That will present challenges, but I think I can work around it. I also have to respect that Sam will want time to get back in shape too. Ill just maintain over summer and gear up for the Mercedes Half again in February. Try to set a new PR. If all goes well, might do the New Orleans Half instead. It is the same weekend. Just have to convince Sam we need to go down there. Maybe, if she is in shape enough she can do it too. Doug will have to meet us for dinner. :D

Yeah I had to imagine you were being conservative, since I know you can blast me off the asphalt! I can only hold a 6:30-7:00/min pace for a 5k at max.
Congratulations again on the newcomer to your family!

joel_maxwell

Yeah I had to imagine you were being conservative, since I know you can blast me off the asphalt! I can only hold a 6:30-7:00/min pace for a 5k at max.
Congratulations again on the newcomer to your family!
Thanks. I wish Isabeau (age 3) would sit still long enough for me to push her a few miles in her Revolutionary Bob stroller. Might have to try that again this summer. That would be a new challenge in itself. Pushing an extra 25 pounds would really work my legs in a whole new way.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Thanks. I wish Isabeau (age 3) would sit still long enough for me to push her a few miles in her Revolutionary Bob stroller. Might have to try that again this summer. That would be a new challenge in itself. Pushing an extra 25 pounds would really work my legs in a whole new way.

Heck yeah! When my hydration vest is loaded (water, gels, food, etc...) for my long runs it feels like one of those weight-training vests. My new one however carries the load much better than my Nathan (you can see it in the pics I posted on FB). Too bad we don't live closer to one another; we would be good contrasting training partners.

Anyway, 26.2mi on Sunday (obviously), 6.23 yesterday, and 13.13 miles this morning. My left thigh muscle is in such pain, but it goes away after mile 3. Ice and stretch, ice and stretch...and then mowed the lawn.

Could I call it a day if I didn't crack open a brew? Nope. :D

Another 13+ miles tomorrow before I have to teach my last week of the semester. Professor Nick has gone runnin'...
Cheers.

joel_maxwell

Heck yeah! When my hydration vest is loaded (water, gels, food, etc...) for my long runs it feels like one of those weight-training vests. My new one however carries the load much better than my Nathan (you can see it in the pics I posted on FB). Too bad we don't live closer to one another; we would be good contrasting training partners.

Anyway, 26.2mi on Sunday (obviously), 6.23 yesterday, and 13.13 miles this morning. My left thigh muscle is in such pain, but it goes away after mile 3. Ice and stretch, ice and stretch...and then mowed the lawn.

Could I call it a day if I didn't crack open a brew? Nope. :D

Another 13+ miles tomorrow before I have to teach my last week of the semester. Professor Nick has gone runnin'...
Cheers.
I did see the pics on FB. Seems like a smooth vest. Very nice. I also just cant understand or get over how you wear tights and all black in the sun and heat. It is beyond me Johnny. :D

I like having my water pods. I have a belt with 2 on there. I cant decide if I should get the one with 4 (Nathan) when this ones wears out. It is an IronMan brand that Academy sold. The discontinued it and there are 2 at the store for $12 a piece. I have only needed more than 2 water pods once. That beats the hell out of a $45 Nathan belt.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I did see the pics on FB. Seems like a smooth vest. Very nice. I also just cant understand or get over how you wear tights and all black in the sun and heat. It is beyond me Johnny. :D

I like having my water pods. I have a belt with 2 on there. I cant decide if I should get the one with 4 (Nathan) when this ones wears out. It is an IronMan brand that Academy sold. The discontinued it and there are 2 at the store for $12 a piece. I have only needed more than 2 water pods once. That beats the hell out of a $45 Nathan belt.

The Salomon vest is freakin awsome. All black? Yeah, I'm just accustomed to it. If I wear shorts, I have calf compression sleeves on too.

Dude, go for the 4 pod Nathan. You can't go wrong. It will out last you, and it's worth the few extra bucks. Fuel Belt also makes a decent 4 pod version, but I'm partial to Nathan because of the durability. Also, don't discount the Nathan handheld (the elite version which I couple with my pack), or a hydration vest. Nathan, Salomon, Northface or Camelbak ( I actually have a Camelbak bladder in the Nathan vest) are all great choices. If you want my 2 pod fuel belt I'd be happy to give it to you. I only wore it on a few long trainging runs, but I washed it after each use. Let me know on FB.

anc33

This sounds more like a Tough Mudder than a normal trail race. Was it a Tough Mudder/Warrior Dash? Or just some really gnarly trail race? Most trail races I have done around here are more just slightly beefed up cross country trail deals.

It was an XTERRA trail race. I think if I had more, really any, upper body strength I would have fared slightly better on those climbs. Luckily, there were several nice gentlemen who helped me out during the race.

I mountain bike on these kinds of trails so I had an idea of the terrain but I didn't know it would be so hard to run over it. I think about a good third of the race was single track. Didn't have much confidence in my footing and ended up walking most of the last two miles after taking a nice tumble Even though I am icing my sprained ankle and gashed up knee right now I can't wait until the next one.

lpet11984

Ran another 5K, new route. 35:42. Wishing I could build up a little speed now, but thinking that should probably wait until after Saturday's event, as I don't want to injure myself. How does one go about building speed? Can you work on speed and endurance at the same time, or do you usually have to focus on one or the other?

scorp111

Five around Murfreesboro

Fastest Five ever for me. (8:49 per mile) Great conditions - low 50's and no rain.
3 days removed from the half marathon, I will definitely take it. Cruised for the first couple of miles, and then realized I could average less than 9 min per mile for 5 if I just kept it going. So I did.
Splits:
1 00:08:35
2 00:09:15
3 00:08:57
4 00:08:39
5 00:08:41

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom