What did you do?

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
11.53 miles, 26 pushups, and 73 crunches, then mowed the lawn. Kicked back an Arrogant ______________ and a Brewdog hardcore IPA.

I know I got many of you on Honey Stinger gels...they work fast but I always sugar-crash after. I've been using Clif turbo shot gels (espresso). Takes about 10-15 mins to kick in, but no sugar-crash and it doesn't turn my stomache.

13 miles or so tomorrow morning...

Cheers to all who bust their ...

Texas84

Hey Donald. Someone here got me on the Stingers and I love them! It was probably you. They got me through the training for my first half last January.

So today I do my 3 miles after work and decide I need to listen to some SiriusXM hard classic rock on my iPhone instead of my Japanese lessons. Took a full minute off of my average pace. Hmmm...:lookaroun

scorp111

Joel,

The overnight low Friday night is 55 on Weather.com, so that will actually occur early Saturday morning, so that is close to your 54.

At least the storms will be cleared out by then.

My training has been so crazy this month, I just want to have fun, run hard, and finish my 2nd ever half.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
11.53 miles, 26 pushups, and 73 crunches, then mowed the lawn. Kicked back an Arrogant ______________ and a Brewdog hardcore IPA.

I know I got many of you on Honey Stinger gels...they work fast but I always sugar-crash after. I've been using Clif turbo shot gels (espresso). Takes about 10-15 mins to kick in, but no sugar-crash and it doesn't turn my stomache.

13 miles or so tomorrow morning...

Cheers to all who bust their ...
Interesting. Ill have to try those too. Im not experimenting this week though. Maybe later. Ill consume 2 packs of the gel chews from Honey Stinger too. Love those. 70 more calories than GU chews.

Joel,

The overnight low Friday night is 55 on Weather.com, so that will actually occur early Saturday morning, so that is close to your 54.

At least the storms will be cleared out by then.

My training has been so crazy this month, I just want to have fun, run hard, and finish my 2nd ever half.
Wait a minute. Ok. I feel like an idiot. When you go to weather.com, put in Nashville, do the 5 day forecast and you see 74/54 for Friday... that 54 means the low for Friday night into Saturday morning? I always think that means the low for that Friday am. This is where I thought that Saturday low of 64 meant that is what it would be Saturday am, not Saturday into Sunday.

Dooh. Thanks for the heads up. Big difference between 54 and 64. I would post my bib number so we could look for each other afterwards, but it will change at the expo for my upgrade. Good luck and dont worry about the crazy training. Just go have fun. Last time I did that, I set a new PR. :wave:

scorp111

3 miles at 8:58 per mile on the Hotel TM.

Nothing spectacular... alternating at 7:30, 8:34, and "recovering" at 10:00 per mile pace.

Just a little something to help me through the week. Planning only one more short run this week before the Country Music Half on Saturday morning.

scorp111

Interesting. Ill have to try those too. Im not experimenting this week though. Maybe later. Ill consume 2 packs of the gel chews from Honey Stinger too. Love those. 70 more calories than GU chews.

Wait a minute. Ok. I feel like an idiot. When you go to weather.com, put in Nashville, do the 5 day forecast and you see 74/54 for Friday... that 54 means the low for Friday night into Saturday morning? I always think that means the low for that Friday am. This is where I thought that Saturday low of 64 meant that is what it would be Saturday am, not Saturday into Sunday.

Dooh. Thanks for the heads up. Big difference between 54 and 64. I would post my bib number so we could look for each other afterwards, but it will change at the expo for my upgrade. Good luck and dont worry about the crazy training. Just go have fun. Last time I did that, I set a new PR. :wave:

Don't worry, I had to double check my assumptions too.:) According to several sources, it usually means the low during the next 24 hour period. I will say this though, after the rains, it should be cooler, and then slowly warming up. It still is a shame, because some cooler weather comes back next week as you said. Oh well.

I am 13661 in Corral 13 for the half.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

Yeah don't do any experimenting before a race! The Clif double shots are 20 cals less than the honey stingers at 100 per pack...for me, it's stupid easier to add up cals and know my intake on long runs when it's a nice easy number like 100. When I ran the ultra, all my nutrition had to be taken at specific intervals, and be properly portioned for certain times, and believe me, I got the ultra-haze early on, and kept losing track of what and how much I ate.

joel_maxwell

Don't worry, I had to double check my assumptions too.:) According to several sources, it usually means the low during the next 24 hour period. I will say this though, after the rains, it should be cooler, and then slowly warming up. It still is a shame, because some cooler weather comes back next week as you said. Oh well.

I am 13661 in Corral 13 for the half.
I was 2514 in corral 2, but that number will change. Not sure if they will keep me in corral 2 or not.

Yeah don't do any experimenting before a race! The Clif double shots are 20 cals less than the honey stingers at 100 per pack...for me, it's stupid easier to add up cals and know my intake on long runs when it's a nice easy number like 100. When I ran the ultra, all my nutrition had to be taken at specific intervals, and be properly portioned for certain times, and believe me, I got the ultra-haze early on, and kept losing track of what and how much I ate.
I know. I do have a question I need yalls opinion on. With all this training, my inner thigh (groin) has gotten larger with muscle growth. That means the insides of my upper thigh rub a little now. I had been using Desitin since it is always around the house (kids) but I have been meaning to try body glide. I bought a stick yesterday. It is clear and less messy than desitin (white and super creamy).

Does body glide last potentially 3-4 hours? I know not to experiment on race week, but I applied it last night on my 4 mile run and it held up, I just dont know if it would over 3 more hours.

thoughts?

Ariel484

5 miles yesterday after work...first 3 were great, last 2 were awful.

Does body glide last potentially 3-4 hours? I know not to experiment on race week, but I applied it last night on my 4 mile run and it held up, I just dont know if it would over 3 more hours.

thoughts?

I use Body Glide around the...ahem...bra area :lookaroun, and it held up for me through the Princess Half (which took me 3:02 to finish :eek:). I have never tried it in the inner thigh area...I wear sort of tight calf-length pants that do the trick for that. Not sure if you'd want to sport those though :lol: :lookaroun

joel_maxwell

5 miles yesterday after work...first 3 were great, last 2 were awful.

I use Body Glide around the...ahem...bra area :lookaroun, and it held up for me through the Princess Half (which took me 3:02 to finish :eek:). I have never tried it in the inner thigh area...I wear sort of tight calf-length pants that do the trick for that. Not sure if you'd want to sport those though :lol: :lookaroun
Only in winter time with temps below 20 and definitely shorts over my tights. :lol:

JillC LI

3 miles at 8:58 per mile on the Hotel TM.

Nothing spectacular... alternating at 7:30, 8:34, and "recovering" at 10:00 per mile pace.

Just a little something to help me through the week. Planning only one more short run this week before the Country Music Half on Saturday morning.

I forgot that this race was called the Country Music Half/Marathon. If ever there was a kind of music I love to run to, it's country!!!!!! Good luck! Are there any big name country artists performing on the course?

JillC LI

I do have a question I need yalls opinion on. With all this training, my inner thigh (groin) has gotten larger with muscle growth. That means the insides of my upper thigh rub a little now. I had been using Desitin since it is always around the house (kids) but I have been meaning to try body glide. I bought a stick yesterday. It is clear and less messy than desitin (white and super creamy).

thoughts?

Yes! Body Glide lasts and lasts and lasts. Served me well for a 5 hour marathon. In fact, sometimes my skin still feels slick after I shower in some of the places where I apply it.

fmingo36

Ran 4 miles Monday and Tuesday.
Today I managed to get in a quick 2.5 miles, 1 hour of crossing training with weights, and moved two rooms of furniture in my house.

Phonedave

Yes! Body Glide lasts and lasts and lasts. Served me well for a 5 hour marathon. In fact, sometimes my skin still feels slick after I shower in some of the places where I apply it.

Yeah, I have had to make sure to scrub it off, it sticks like nobody's business.

I have not needed it since switching to compression shorts however. (Or was that TMI ?)

-dave

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
11.66 miles this morning and 11.55 miles yesterday (+ push ups and crunches, pre and post-run).

A few changes in the gear and nutrition department:
-Starting using a Salomon XT Advanced skin 5 hydration vest/pack instead of my Nathan pack. It seems to move with me much better (load carries higher) and tons of pockets for gels, extra water bottles, electrolyte caps, etc...oh, and it's black...
-New Saucony Omni 9s (for the road) and I went up a 1/2 size to 8.5 to leave some room in the toe-box.
-And of course, as I mentioned before, new gels. Clif double shot gels which don't give me the sugar-crash like the Honey Stingers did (although they worked quicker and taste great)

After the NJ Marathon on Sunday, I kick my training up a few notches...the ultra marathon bug has bitten me since the March race, so: 3-7 hour training runs 6 days/week, and 30-40 miles on the 7th day. Up my calorie intake to 5,000-6,000 cals/day from healthy fats and more carbs. Can't leave out the IPAs though!

Cheers everyone!

scorp111

I forgot that this race was called the Country Music Half/Marathon. If ever there was a kind of music I love to run to, it's country!!!!!! Good luck! Are there any big name country artists performing on the course?

From what I hear, it is a bunch of local artists on the course (like every mile), and there is a post race concert Saturday night by Montgomery Gentry apparently.

I am really running this one because:

A. I have heard it is a fun race
B. I havent ran a large race yet, so this will be interesting with around 30K between the half/full apparently

Good practice for my planned first full, the St. Jude in December.

By the way, Joel, now saying 52 for early Saturday morning....

lpet11984

Ran my longest distance yet- full 5K today in just over 34:00. Pretty excited I was actually able to do it. Not going to lie, around 2.5 miles, I had the line "just f'ing go" in my head- thanks for that, Nick! ;)

Mile 1: 10:59
Mile 2: 10:59
Mile 3: 11:02
Finish (total): 34:12

Alright, my apologies in advance for the n00b question, but I'm wondering just what are these gels, stingers and things everyone is talking about... I remember seeing something at my local running store called "Gu" as well. Is that the same thing? Under what circumstances would you need these? For when you're running longer races to keep your calories up? I can't imagine eating anything while running though (it's bad enough if I eat the wrong thing before I run, I get nauseous).

Ariel484

Alright, my apologies in advance for the n00b question, but I'm wondering just what are these gels, stingers and things everyone is talking about... I remember seeing something at my local running store called "Gu" as well. Is that the same thing? Under what circumstances would you need these? For when you're running longer races to keep your calories up? I can't imagine eating anything while running though (it's bad enough if I eat the wrong thing before I run, I get nauseous).

Hey, everyone was a newbie at some point! :)

When you run long, it's suggested that you re-fuel about every 30-45 minutes to keep your energy up. Gels are easy to carry and get down during a run. Personally I use Gu gels (vanilla flavor) and chomps (gummy snacks - strawberry and blueberry pomegranate flavors), and I've also tried Honey Stingers (gold flavor) and Honey Stinger energy chews (passion fruit flavor I think - same idea as the Gus, but they are all natural and some flavors don't have caffeine. I've also heard of people carrying gummy bears with them during races. I didn't really start thinking about this stuff until I was training for my first 10-miler...it makes a HUGE difference. If/when you do get to a point where you need to start fueling mid-run, make sure you try different options during training to find what works for you (that is, don't just randomly decide to try using gels on race day). Make it a part of your training. I must've tried every Gu flavor available before settling on good ol' vanilla.

You can read more here. :wave:

I'm sure everyone else will have more/better info to add.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom