What did you do?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
OMG, the first two songs that I ever put on the first iPod I ever bought were "Far From Over" (as Joel knows) and "Break My Stride" by Matthew Wilder! I love that song. It definitely has kept me moving on many a run!

As for the soreness, perhaps try icing the sore spots for 20 minutes after a run. It helped my knees on the longer runs. If it's more muscular than joint related, it'll probably work itself out the more you stick with it as the muscles get stronger - unless it's a pull or an overuse injury which it doesn't sound like it is.
Did I hear my name. :lookaroun

:D

6.09 Miles tonight. It was a hot run tonight. 71 degrees and 70% humidity.

50.06 with an 8:13 pace. Hilly course tonight.

1) 8.01
2) 7.45
3) 8.05
4) 8.34
5) 8.33
6) 8.24

lpet11984

OMG, the first two songs that I ever put on the first iPod I ever bought were "Far From Over" (as Joel knows) and "Break My Stride" by Matthew Wilder! I love that song. It definitely has kept me moving on many a run!

As for the soreness, perhaps try icing the sore spots for 20 minutes after a run. It helped my knees on the longer runs. If it's more muscular than joint related, it'll probably work itself out the more you stick with it as the muscles get stronger - unless it's a pull or an overuse injury which it doesn't sound like it is.

Ooo another awesome song! I'm going to have to add that one too! How could I forget?! Thanks for reminding me, and thanks for the advice... it does tend to get better throughout the day, especially if I don't sit too long. I'm hoping the stronger I get, the less it will bother me. I read somewhere else that they recommend taking ibuprofin before and after a run, but somehow that doesn't seem too healthy to me...

Thanks. Go back through the thread and you can read about my training for the 100 mile ultramarathon I did in March. All the regulars know, but my leg finally crapped out at just over 50 miles, and I had to pull out early. I still received all my SWAG though!
Anyway, just to bring you up to speed: I'm a long distance guy; 75, 80 sometimes 100 miles / week. Some Saturday runs are 30 milers. Welcome to the thread if I haven't posted that before. Good luck with all of your running goals, and remember to never compare yourself to anyone else except yourself...and always listen to Phonedave's advice! Seriously, he knows what he's talking about, and I should probably listen to him more, but I'm stubborn and love adding up miles.

:eek: Holy cow, bat-duck! Bravo to you... that is one "ultra" race alright! I hope your leg is doing alright now, especially with training for another one coming up. Good luck adding up all that mileage- that's awesome!

scorp111

A quick 4 miles (4 miles at 8:20 per).... lot on my mind, trying to buy a house, moving, work, missing the family etc. Felt great to get a run in! Legs were super Fresh after a couple days off, first mile was under 8 minutes. Overall, my fastest 4 miles....ever :) Ran from the hotel to the house that we have an offer in on :)

Phonedave

Today I've noticed I'm a little more sore than usual after yesterday's run...anyone have any tips for minimizing soreness? I do stretch a bit before and after a run, as well as spend some time walking before and after. The soreness isn't so bad, my legs (particularly my calves) just feel tight, especially when I get up after sitting for a bit.

It will happen as your muscles develop.

To minimize - stretch afterwards - not just walk. To stretch my calves I like to hang off a step or curb. Put your toes on the curb and let your heels drop. Just be careful if you are doing both feet at once that you don't slip and pull a muscle. On your off days you can do calf raises to build up your calves if they keep giving you problems.

The other thing is ice ice ice. Cold after a run is the best thing. if you have a pool, go stand in it for a while. If not, put some ice or wet cloths on your calves. At the least, resist the urge to get into a hot shower right away. Cool down for a while before you do.

You can try compression sleeves on your calves. I don't have any experience with them, but some people swear by them.

-dave

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
We did our fastest ever 5k today- 27.18 mins. Our average pace was 8.48/mi. Our pace was fairly consistent and I was able to keep up with Steve the whole way. I'm very pleased with our run today! :D

JillC LI

Did I hear my name. :lookaroun

:D

6.09 Miles tonight. It was a hot run tonight. 71 degrees and 70% humidity.

Skip the humidity but send some of the 70 degree weather my way. I'm ready for Spring to arrive already. It's been Spring for a month and it's still in the 40s and 50s here on Long Island. Nice for running, but I'd love to not be wearing my winter coat still. Of course you can remind me I complained at all when it's over 80 degrees and humid this summer.

Oh, and 4 miles on the treadmill this morning while the kids were still asleep.

We did our fastest ever 5k today- 27.18 mins. Our average pace was 8.48/mi. Our pace was fairly consistent and I was able to keep up with Steve the whole way. I'm very pleased with our run today! :D

Congratulations! That's fantastic!

joel_maxwell

Nice Job!

Skip the humidity but send some of the 70 degree weather my way. I'm ready for Spring to arrive already. It's been Spring for a month and it's still in the 40s and 50s here on Long Island. Nice for running, but I'd love to not be wearing my winter coat still. Of course you can remind me I complained at all when it's over 80 degrees and humid this summer.

Oh, and 4 miles on the treadmill this morning while the kids were still asleep.
Ill trade with you any day. Todays run on lunch was 70 with 89% humidity. Oy!

joel_maxwell

4 Miles today on lunch. As above, it wasnt that hot, but the sweat poured. 89% humidity.

Happy about the last mile. Splits were:

1) 8:11
2) 8.08
3) 8:15
4) 7:43

Ariel484

5-miler after work today...my average pace was about 30 seconds faster than normal, and it felt great. I'm trying to figure out what I did differently today...??? :veryconfu :lol:

scorp111

Great job!

I did 4 miles at 8:44 per mile overall. Very pleased, since my legs were still tired from my "speed" run yesterday. Since my mileage has been less lately, I am trying to get more out of the runs. Pretty pleased with the last two miles as well:

Splits today:
1 00:08:52
2 00:09:04
3 00:08:30
4 00:08:32

lpet11984

Awesome- congrats! That's an amazing accomplishment!!!!! :sohappy:

I completed W7D2 of C25K today...had to add a little bit onto my route at the end to keep running, so I must be getting a little faster. 2.71 mi in 36:00 (11 of that was the walking). Definitely took dave's advice and iced after the run, as well as tried that stretch-- seems to have helped quite a bit! Only notice the tightness after I've been off my feet for a little while. Also learned an important lesson about breathing while running-- the lower/deeper I can breathe, the longer I seem to be able to last.

Phonedave

5-miler after work today...my average pace was about 30 seconds faster than normal, and it felt great. I'm trying to figure out what I did differently today...??? :veryconfu :lol:

I am going to quote Tony Horton of P90X fame when he is doing yoga.

"Stretch, stretch out tall, think about plugging your fingers into the sky, and then .... stop thinking"

Sometimes I run best when I just sort of loose myself and don't think about it.

I ran a 10K two weeks ago where I felt like utter crap. Headache, cold, nose running. I almost talked myself out of going to it when woke up in the morning, but I had paid the $35 registration, so that was my motivation.

I said I was just going to run it easy, not try anything, just finish without killing myself. I ran comfortable and finished only 10 seconds slower than the last 10K I ran where I wes thinking about pace and pushing up hills.

Sometimes when you think the least you acheive the most. Man, I am just spouting phrases today.:)

-dave

Phonedave

Awesome- congrats! That's an amazing accomplishment!!!!! :sohappy:

I completed W7D2 of C25K today...had to add a little bit onto my route at the end to keep running, so I must be getting a little faster. 2.71 mi in 36:00 (11 of that was the walking). Definitely took dave's advice and iced after the run, as well as tried that stretch-- seems to have helped quite a bit! Only notice the tightness after I've been off my feet for a little while. Also learned an important lesson about breathing while running-- the lower/deeper I can breathe, the longer I seem to be able to last.

Good work. I'm glad the ice and stretching worked for you. A LITTLE muscle soreness is a good thing. It means you are pushing your limits and getting stronger.

Later on we can get into the whole thing of lung capacity, your VO2 max, your hemoglobin oxygen uptake rate, your anareobic vs areobic capacity and all sorts of other neat-o things (I think if I discovered sports phisiology at a younger age I would have a different job right now). Right now, breathe. The more oxygen you get into your body, the more energy you will have.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Good work. I'm glad the ice and stretching worked for you. A LITTLE muscle soreness is a good thing. It means you are pushing your limits and getting stronger.

Later on we can get into the whole thing of lung capacity, your VO2 max, your hemoglobin oxygen uptake rate, your anareobic vs areobic capacity and all sorts of other neat-o things (I think if I discovered sports phisiology at a younger age I would have a different job right now). Right now, breathe. The more oxygen you get into your body, the more energy you will have.

-dave
lets break him easy. Good call Dave. That conversation is too heavy for a Friday. :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
13.23 miles through down-pours, mud puddles (love 'em both) and 20 mph winds this morning (hate wind). Just polished off a 22oz bomber of Hopsickle triple IPA.

Cheers everyone!

Phonedave

8.29 miles

Unlike Nick, I waited till the rain stopped. Still a lot of water and mud.

Long Trail Hibernator upon return.

Does this thread need a new title? What did you do and drink ?

-dave

Texas84

3.5 miles this AM. 70F and 80% humidity. Nasty. I'm not getting any faster but I am running pain-free. And my legs don't lock up after the long runs anymore so I guess I should be thrilled with that.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Hope your feet didnt get too wet Nick.
8 Miles this am. Last long run before next Saturday. Super nervous about the full.

Oh man, I was completely drenched and I destroyed my shoes storming through mud, sand, ankle-deep puddles...it was GREAT!

13.23 miles yesterday and 10.51 miles this morning plus a walk on the beach with the wife because it's so nice out in NJ today.

Weekly total: 81.18 miles. Not bad, so I am kicking back a few DFH 90 min IPAs (my local beer place is holding 10 bottles of the 120 min when they come in at the end of the month!)

For the last 2 weeks I have had this ritual of dropping down and doing 60 push-ups after every run. I don't know why, but it feels good.

Cheers everyone!

scorp111

5 miles in Lake Charles LA on this Easter Sunday.

Time on my feet. 75 when I started, 81 degrees when I finished, with plenty of humidity too.

Pretty even Splits:
1 00:09:05 1.00
2 00:09:17 1.00
3 00:09:23 1.00
4 00:09:20 1.00
5 00:09:10 1.00

Happy Easter Yall!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom