WDW's non-MK parks' identities fading?

Mr.EPCOT

Except your forgetting about the Circle of Life movie. That also has cutsie characters.

I didn't forget about them. First, they contribute meaningfully to the overall purpose of the pavilion, specifically the 'living harmoniously with The Land' part. Secondly, The Lion King doesn't dominate the entire pavilion.

mcjaco

See, that's the real core of the problem, the pavilion is supposed to be about how humans explore the oceans, and the technology we use to do it.

The pavilion WAS about humans exploring. It isn't now. That's part of the issue. We're stuck on what the pavilion WAS about. They changed it's direction completely.

I didn't forget about them. First, they contribute meaningfully to the overall purpose of the pavilion, specifically the 'living harmoniously with The Land' part. Secondly, The Lion King doesn't dominate the entire pavilion.

Touche. You're correct.

Servo was the only one who really said anything besides TLS was dead and Nemo is popular. While these are both true it dosen't explain how Nemo fits.

Yes. Yes he did.

Mr.EPCOT

The pavilion WAS about humans exploring. It isn't now. That's part of the issue. We're stuck on what the pavilion WAS about. They changed it's direction completely.

I'm saying that's what it should still be about. The subject matter of The Seas now is pure Animal Kingdom material. This stuff would work perfectly, wonderfully there, for many reasons. There's no ocean life representation there, with exception of Finding Nemo The Musical. There's no dark ride of that caliber there, arguably no ride of any kind on that level. Having it at EPCOT is getting dangerously close to an 'anything goes' mentality for the parks, and further erodes the distinction between them. There's always going to be some thematic overlap, of course, but there should be some kind of step in the development process that says 'hey, this is skewing a little too far into Animal Kingdom territory, we need to do something that is more definitively EPCOT.'

EPCOT Explorer

We are talking in circles. Turtle Talk is still pretty advanced still.

Why can't advanced technology be used to educate and inspire that way?

Have you ever considered that Sea tech just isn't exiciting nor is it advancing at a rate that will either contribute to mankind or provides tangible concepts for a pavilion?

Come on, Evan. This is a perfect example of your dogmatic and narrow approach to Epcot.

"Inform, Entertain and Inspire, unless I don't like it, then it needs to be futuristic, unless I don't like that, then it needs to be about humans only."

Additionally, saying that the Seas aren't about fish is like saying the Land isn't about plants. It just doesn't work that way. It is also discrediting the conservation message that involves people that is still present in the pavilion.
That's fine. I like that. I said that I liked it too. What's the problem?

However, I did say that the technology should be showcased and used, much like it was in ye olde EPCOT Center. :D

"Inform, Entertain and Inspire, unless I don't like it, then it needs to be futuristic, unless I don't like that, then it needs to be about humans only."
:rolleyes: Here you go again with the individualized nagging.

Again: This is not based off of my thoughts for EPCOT. It's about what they MADE EPCOT INTO and CREATED EPCOT out of in it's inception. More specifically, Future World. It's about how MAN will use technology in the Future and in differentiated fields. While it did that, it would inspire, entertain and inform.

Nemo does none of the latter, but covers the former in a slightly newwer, more modern way. Which is fine. I like that. :) The plaques are nice, in moderation. TurT is fine, too. But where is the original thematic (Not buisness, Jake, don't try that! :lol:) purpose? I don't see our future in The Seas with Nemo and Friends.

That's the grand feeling from EPCOT that I miss. It was personal. It was you. It was what you COULD be seeing in 20, or 30 years. Now, that's more difficult because we've caught up to the future. But, it's still possible to showcase technology, show what some of the future is like, and still be original and amazing about it. Make it like a serious Tomorrowland. Even Disney said in a D23 article on EPCOT that they were using it in that respect in the original inception of FW.

Make it an adventure. That appeals doesn't it?

The pro Nemo people never seem to grasp this :shrug:
:lol:

You reminded me of Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith when he's talking to Anakin about the Jedi at that opera thing. :lol: :lookaroun
Jake is a Sith. Knew it.:lookaroun

Exactly. Well said. Nemo is that pavilion...and that's another problem. Why is the Seas only for the kiddies? I would enjoy something for my demographic in their too. At least the Land or other Pavilions has something for everybody.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm saying that's what it should still be about. The subject matter of The Seas now is pure Animal Kingdom material. This stuff would work perfectly, wonderfully there, for many reasons. There's no ocean life representation there, with exception of Finding Nemo The Musical. There's no dark ride of that caliber there, arguably no ride of any kind on that level. Having it at EPCOT is getting dangerously close to an 'anything goes' mentality for the parks, and further erodes the distinction between them. There's always going to be some thematic overlap, of course, but there should be some kind of step in the development process that says 'hey, this is skewing a little too far into Animal Kingdom territory, we need to do something that is more definitively EPCOT.'[/size][/font]

AHA!:sohappy:
Nailed it, my friend. That's on topic, too. :lookaroun:lol:

*looks at thread title*:D

WDW Vacationer

A little late...but I will chime in...

My answer is no.

The Studios is still based off movies/Hollywood, EPCOT is still futuristic(for the most part) and ENTERTAINS AND INFORMS and keeps getting better, Animal Kingdom--I can not think of any attraction that has nothing to do with animals that are either extinct or living.

All of those things are what the parks are made for. And I love them each because they are all different,have great themes,entertain and inform.

They are what a Disney Park should be.

jakeman

That's fine. I like that. I said that I liked it too. What's the problem?

However, I did say that the technology should be showcased and used, much like it was in ye olde EPCOT Center. :D
How is the technology not being showcased and used?

:rolleyes: Here you go again with the individualized nagging.
From where I sit is is accurate though. I feel that I have refuted your points and you just bring up another unknown rule that Epcot has to adhere to base on a rigid interpretation of a plaque at the park entrance.

Again: This is not based off of my thoughts for EPCOT. It's about what they MADE EPCOT INTO and CREATED EPCOT out of in it's inception. More specifically, Future World. It's about how MAN will use technology in the Future and in differentiated fields. While it did that, it would inspire, entertain and inform.
See, this proves my point. Now on top of inform, inspire, and educate, we have to be about the future and we have to be about humanities future. When does it end?

Nemo does none of the latter, but covers the former in a slightly newwer, more modern way. Which is fine. I like that. :) The plaques are nice, in moderation. TurT is fine, too. But where is the original thematic (Not buisness, Jake, don't try that! :lol:) purpose? I don't see our future in The Seas with Nemo and Friends.
I do. I see the importance of saving our coral reefs and our responsibility for conservation of animals of the ocean, such as manitees. I don't have to look very far for it either.

That's the grand feeling from EPCOT that I miss. It was personal. It was you. It was what you COULD be seeing in 20, or 30 years. Now, that's more difficult because we've caught up to the future. But, it's still possible to showcase technology, show what some of the future is like, and still be original and amazing about it. Make it like a serious Tomorrowland. Even Disney said in a D23 article on EPCOT that they were using it in that respect in the original inception of FW.

Make it an adventure. That appeals doesn't it?
It is amazing that you and others cry for originality, but every pavilion must adhere to the same cookie cutter model:

Section about the past
Section about the present
Section about the future

What's creative about that?

:lol:

Jake is a Sith. Knew it.:lookaroun
You want me to say something that will confuse you even more? I liked SeaBase Alpha better than Nemo.

However, the caveat to that is I see the same wonderment and excitment I felt when I was young in SeaBase Alpha in the children that are experiencing The Seas with Nemo. It is real and palpable in the pavilion.

Exactly. Well said. Nemo is that pavilion...and that's another problem. Why is the Seas only for the kiddies? I would enjoy something for my demographic in their too. At least the Land or other Pavilions has something for everybody.
Ooo. Like Mission: Space?

I've learned a few things from Nemo and I do honestly enjoy the pavilion as an adult.

EPCOT Explorer

1)How is the technology not being showcased and used?

2)From where I sit is is accurate though. I feel that I have refuted your points and you just bring up another unknown rule that Epcot has to adhere to base on a rigid interpretation of a plaque at the park entrance.

See, this proves my point. Now on top of inform, inspire, and educate, we have to be about the future and we have to be about humanities future. When does it end?

I do. I see the importance of saving our coral reefs and our responsibility for conservation of animals of the ocean, such as manitees. I don't have to look very far for it either.

3)It is amazing that you and others cry for originality, but every pavilion must adhere to the same cookie cutter model:

Section about the past
Section about the present
Section about the future

What's creative about that?

4)You want me to say something that will confuse you even more? I liked SeaBase Alpha better than Nemo.

However, the caveat to that is I see the same wonderment and excitment I felt when I was young in SeaBase Alpha in the children that are experiencing The Seas with Nemo. It is real and palpable in the pavilion.

5)Ooo. Like Mission: Space?

I've learned a few things from Nemo and I do honestly enjoy the pavilion as an adult.
  1. I meant used in the show. That just works better IMHO. The current use of the projections and the KuKa arm helps, though
  2. These rules are NOT unknown, Jake. I am just looking at the original Future World, and comparing it to the present. I am trying to draw parelles from a older model for a park, and make it relevant and modern for a newer, more differentialted audience. THAT's originality.
  3. Back then, that was an original concept, becuase EPCOT was so fresh and new on the scene. You are right. Now, that wouldn't fly. However, when did I ever call for that in this thread? In fact, I said that it would be best to abandon that (for the most part!..some things should be saved!) and move completly into the Adventure that is the Future. THAT would work in a new TLS.
  4. :dazzle: Explain. Now. :lol: I tire of your Sith Mind Tricks. :D
  5. YES...Exactly like M:S, though I would use the Land as a better example. M:S has something for everyone, but TL just does it better.

EPCOT Explorer

A little late...but I will chime in...

My answer is no.

The Studios is still based off movies/Hollywood, EPCOT is still futuristic(for the most part) and ENTERTAINS AND INFORMS and keeps getting better, Animal Kingdom--I can not think of any attraction that has nothing to do with animals that are either extinct or living.

All of those things are what the parks are made for. And I love them each because they are all different,have great themes,entertain and inform.

They are what a Disney Park should be.
Care to say what parts?

MousDad

How could anyone with even half a brain try to make an argument that DAK has lost its identity?

It's fundamentally different than the MK on just about every level.

I think Epcot and DHS retain their unique essential character fine as well, but DAK?, that was a real stretch of the imagination.

jakeman

1. I meant used in the show. That just works better IMHO. The current use of the projections and the KuKa arm helps, though
  2. These rules are NOT unknown, Jake. I am just looking at the original Future World, and comparing it to the present. I am trying to draw parelles from a older model for a park, and make it relevant and modern for a newer, more differentialted audience. THAT's originality.
  3. Back then, that was an original concept, becuase EPCOT was so fresh and new on the scene. You are right. Now, that wouldn't fly. However, when did I ever call for that in this thread? In fact, I said that it would be best to abandon that (for the most part!..some things should be saved!) and move completly into the Adventure that is the Future. THAT would work in a new TLS.
  4. :dazzle: Explain. Now. :lol: I tire of your Sith Mind Tricks. :D
  5. YES...Exactly like M:S, though I would use the Land as a better example. M:S has something for everyone, but TL just does it better.
1. I think we are talking about two different things. I'm talking about mainly Turtle Talk. I don't consider the omnimover to be the real "meat" of the pavilion. It's just the weenie to trick you into learning.

2. To me this seem completely contradictory to #3 where you say that we should do away with the old model.

3. They abandoned it with the Land and the Seas and look how well that went over. Some of the very same discussion we are having now occured 4 years ago when the Land reopened.

4. I was a dork. The Living Seas was probably one of the more dorkier pavilions. Given that I fully acknowledge my dorkiness, I feel the Seas now is better for everyone else because I can see the same dorky wonderment I had in kids who are obiviously higher on their school's social ladder than I was. That says a lot, a whole lot. It says that even though the Seas has figuratively spit in EPCOT Center's eye. EPCOT Center needed to be humbled a little bit to be able to connect with the general public.

For the little tikes there is Turtle talk. I really think that is great for them to ask questions and get answers from a character they know and love.
Exactly, it's not Crushes fault that the kids ask inane questions sometimes.

Imagine the hiliarty though:

"Sorry duuuude, your question is not in keeping with the spirit of EPCOT and this pavilion. That little dudette over there is gonna coast you over to the dedication plaque. Read that and come back when you have a rightous question about the future of the seas and its affect on humanity. Cha!"

Here's what I think:

1) Theme parks shouldn't have "rules" that can be broken by even the slightest lean.

2) The Seas is awesome.
Yes and yes.

How could anyone with even half a brain try to make an argument that DAK has lost its identity?
Yeah I don't understand it either. Unless they start stapling Mickey Ears to the zebras...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom