WDW's non-MK parks' identities fading?

Mr.EPCOT

Heya...we don't know that yet.:shrug:

By the time this is done, Innoventions could really be re-branded.

Or at least cleaned up....:lol:

I'm pretty confident in saying that there's almost no chance of that stuff happening this time around. They probably won't be opening up the windows because of the new graphics they put in a year or two ago, plus to really get the full effect they'd have to extensively rearrange all of the venues inside.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm pretty confident in saying that there's almost no chance of that stuff happening this time around. They probably won't be opening up the windows because of the new graphics they put in a year or two ago, plus to really get the full effect they'd have to extensively rearrange all of the venues inside.

Well, they have opened several of the doors that were closed in the 1994 and the 1998 refurbs, so...It's a start.

They painted the wand a year before it came down...but yes, I doubt that too. At least these look better and fit the color-scheme.

mharrington

Original Poster
There was a time when Epcot was being that it was intended for it to have almost no characters at all. They felt that Disney characters as we know them belonged only in the Magic Kingdom and nowhere else. They did not fit within the scientific theme of the park. It was the reason why Epcot got characters like Figment and Dreamfinder. But when Epcot opened, people were disappointed by the absence of Mickey and the gang. It was not until Eisner and Wells came aboard that they included the characters into the proceedings.

And even in the early days of Disneyland, there weren't even Disney characters there!

According to Tony Baxter on the commentary of "Disneyland USA", when Disneyland first opened, Disney characters were disallowed. A few characters did appear on opening day, and they were loaned from the Ice Capades, but after that day, Mickey and the gang didn't appear until around either 1959 or 1960.

The people at Disneyland at the time, like the street sweepers on Main Street, became important in the sense of people living at Disneyland, since there were no characters. There were boat captains, saloon girls, Native American dancers, etc., that made the place come to life.

The same thing was also went with merchandise. In the early days, merchandise was devoted to elements amplifying the castle and trains and whatnot. They did allow the park to use characters like Dumbo and Tinker Bell in the early years because it was really tough to market them.

One way Walt got around the character issue was to wheel out their big stars there, like Fess Parker as Davy Crockett. So characters and merchandise operated under that handicap for a few years, so just imagine the relief when they finally got Mickey and the gang.

Disney sure learned its lesson about not including characters, as we know them, in its parks, didn't they?

Mrs.Toad

Magic Kingdom I have already tackled on the Disney exec thread and am still not finished so I will leave that out. Epcot is another one that I will continue there possibly but in general Future World needs to preserve the classics and perhaps add a few things. People like the retro classic feel of Epcot that is slipping away and it needs to stop.

World Showcase needs to add a few more countries and preserve what is there. Not a fan of the Caballeros because I feel El Rio should have been preserved for the treasure it was. Also, Donald Duck, icon, deserved better. It is a slap in the bill to him. LOL! The countries should do what quite simply any food market or Williams Sonoma or shops do now anyway. Have a food and wine festival all day long. If every pavillion year round had an area in each country, interaction with the people, a brief history about what you just consumed, where you could just try rotating beers, wines, sodas, drinks, and small bites all the time WS would be packed. People will still frequent the table and counter service restaurants as long as the food is good and they wish to sit and relax a bit. It's what many of the people that post, myself included, do anyway. How many threads are out there about Epcot Drinking Around the World or having an appetizer in each country as you circle? People have t-shirts made and even have bachelor and bachelorette parties that start in Mexico and go round or the other way. A quick shout out to the awesome group that me and my fiance saw last summer in Epcot. The group had t-shirts made that said something to the effect of: Walking into Mexico, Carried out of Canada!

Hilarious!

Of course, good behavor, manners, and knowing your limit is always a consideration.

And some people on this thread shared a lovely tradition that I also started with my fiance last year. We got the Epcot country passports and placed a sticker every time we tried an imported drink or national food item.

AK is fine for now but I can say one thing about DH.

Changing the MGM name, to me, was a blow to its identity. It has to preserve, promote, and maintain this park as a tribute to Hollywood's Golden Age or it will lose its identity forever. If it ever changes its 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's architecture, restaurants, atmosphere etc., it will never recover. It is what many love about the park. TOT was a good move in solidfying a superb ride, spectacular design,(the landscaping alone and music is wondrous, and did I mention the queue?) and supporting the 30's/40's look of Sunset Boulevard. They need to watch with Toy Story and Aerosmith type rides that don't exactly fit the theme. I can look the other way right now because they are great but more of this may affect the image.

Walt Disney1955

Not at all. They are all Disney parks despite the theme. That has by definition to include some `magic`. The examples given are very poor; Mexico was updated since the 15 year old attraction was beginning to appear very dated, and didn`t appeal to todays average dumbed down guest since they had to think and learn a little. DHS has its own issues with theme and direction; nothing to do with the MK. DAK has had thrill rides and stage shows planned since day one; Dragon Tower, Tiger River and The Excavator were real E Ticket thrill rides as was the original premise for CTX.

If it's any consolation, I feel the magic by far the most at Magic Kingdom. However, there are glimpses of it at other parks. One Man's Dream, the shows at DHS, the Lion King at Animal Kingdom, etc. There still is that aura of magic in the other places, it just isn't as pronounced as the MK. Nor will it ever be.

But the parks are their own individual beings.

erasure fan1

Ok, let me put it this way. Say I give you $100 Million. I want you to refurb a few things around Epcot and update a few things. What would you do?

First thing I do is add a ride to the world showcase, something in the d-ticket area. The next thing I would do is add the weather pavilion to WOL. The last thing would be to update the universe of energy. (I love dinosaurs!) The problem is, 100mil isnt enough to finish my plan to do all I have said and re-do imagination as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom