WDWMagic Hurricane Katrina Fundraising Thread

cherrynegra

Original Poster
List Of Donators To The Wdwmagic Hurricane Katrina Fundraiser

Thank you again to all of you who donated whatever you could to our fundraising drive. I hope other magic members will be inspired to donate by your action. Thank you!! :wave: Don't forget, the amount donated will be updated each day at 7:00 p.m. (PST)

Amount Donated As of 7:00 p.m. (PST) September 7th, 2005

by PayPal $2924.29
by Check $270

Total Donated $3194.29

A
Jennifer A
Lisa M. A.
B
Donna Barnes*
Jeffrey D B
Oscar B
Todd B
C
Mark C
Scott C
D
Heather D
Victoria M-D
F
Dan F
Miriam F
Steve F
G
David G
H
David H
Elizabeth H
Gary H
Kristen H
Suzi H
Sherman H
Scott H
J
Shari J
L
Harry L
Madaline L
Vincent L
M
Joel M
Laura M*
Mary M
Regina M
P
Shannon P
R
Barbara S. R
Brian R
Christy R
Lynn R
Robert R
S
Erika S
Gene S
Jennifer S
Nancy S
Rain S
Richard S
T
Kay T*
W
Harry W
Y
Philip Y

*denotes contribution by check

tigsmom

We've topped $3,000!
woohoo.gif

Sweet! :sohappy:

BTW, my signature contains a link to the Houston SPCA. They took in over 900 pet survivors and are taking care of the animals until their owners can get some better residence. Another worthy cause to donate to, as they can use all the help they can get.

Erika

pocahontas79 said:
Sweet! :sohappy:

BTW, my signature contains a link to the Houston SPCA. They took in over 900 pet survivors and are taking care of the animals until their owners can get some better residence. Another worthy cause to donate to, as they can use all the help they can get.

:sohappy: Thank you for remembering the animals!

With already so much to worry about, I imagine it is a great comfort for people to know that their pets are not forgotten. :kiss:

tigsmom

Erika said:
:sohappy: Thank you for remembering the animals!

With already so much to worry about, I imagine it is a great comfort for people to know that their pets are not forgotten. :kiss:

And they are the reason many refuse to leave... they cannot take their pets with them. :(

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Gordon... count me in for another $6... $3200 sounds like a much more nice and even number :lol:

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Hi everybody. I just wanted to correct tonight's totals because I missed a payment that came in right under the wire. I also want to say that from here on out I will not update the totals until the following morning so that I can count all donations that come in for that day. That way I'm not correcting the totals to include donations that come in after I've updated.

So instead of updating at 7:00 p.m. PST each evening, they will instead be updated at 8:00 a.m. the following morning. So the next update with totals after this post will occur Friday, September 9th, 2005. Again, as always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Gordon

Current Donation Totals To The Wdwmagic Hurricane Katrina Fundraiser

Thank you again to all of you who donated whatever you could to our fundraising drive. I hope other magic members will be inspired to donate by your action. Thank you!! :wave: Don't forget, the amount donated will be updated each day at 8:00 a.m. (PST)

Amount Donated As of 9:30 p.m. (PST) September 7th, 2005 (updated)

by PayPal $3016.55
by Check $270

Total Donated $3286.55

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
Just a warning for the Paypal thing:

As many may have already heard this, Somethingawful.com was doing the same thing that wdwmagic is doing, basically donations through Paypal. The cool thing is they got up to $30,000 dollars in 9 hours. Well the idiots at paypal decided to lock the account. So basically Lowtax, the webmaster there, is trying to get these people their money back and start over through another route. Even though this is a good cause the website Is NOT WORK SAFE so click with warning: http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3186 this explains it in further detail. I want this Donation drive to be successful, but I don't want you to go through the misery that they are going through.

Erika

warlord said:

As many may have already heard this, Somethingawful.com was doing the same thing that wdwmagic is doing, basically donations through Paypal. The cool thing is they got up to $30,000 dollars in 9 hours. Well the idiots at paypal decided to lock the account. So basically Lowtax, the webmaster there, is trying to get these people their money back and start over through another route. Even though this is a good cause the website Is NOT WORK SAFE so click with warning: http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3186 this explains it in further detail. I want this Donation drive to be successful, but I don't want you to go through the misery that they are going through.

Thank you for the warning! Gordon posted about that on the previous page: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=1210677&postcount=216 I think Gordon has already checked with PayPal to make sure this would not happen- maybe he will update us soon.

mkt

Premium Member
I'm in tears... watching CNN about the animal rescues in New Orleans.

I am going there... I don't care if I get arrested. I wanna help.

DDuckFan130

mkt said:

I had gotten very depressed about the news coverage of Katrina. But this morning I saw the animal rescues and I started to sob. I couldn't imagine myself doing that, and thinking of those poor creatures becoming desperate and heart-ached :(

phichi17

mkt said:

You are truly a saint. Nothing is sadder to me than these poor creatures stranded in that he**hole. If you need a place to crash for an evening on the way there, PM me, my family will be more than glad to assist by opening our home. We are in Mobile AL, normally about 2.5-3 hrs away from the Cresent City.

My wife didn't start getting emotional until she saw and heard what the animals were going through, and I must admit that I had a lump in my throat also.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
warlord said:

Thank you so much for the warning. I have checked the PayPal account, and I have received no complaints from PayPal nor have they mentioned freezing our accounts due to fraud.

For those of you who have already donated, please check your emails as I have given you a full account of the status of the Wdwmagic Hurricane Katrina Fund as of September 8th, 2005. I will be posting the status here on the public forums later, but wanted those that have already donated to get the report first.

Again, as I've said numerous times, if any of you have any questions or concerns whatsoever with our fundraising drive, please contact me and I will be more than happy to answer any and all questions.

:wave:

mkt said:

I feel the same way. It would break my heart into many pieces to have to leave my pet behind. I can't help but watch those segments on the rescues even though it hurts to see.

dflye

One of the largest animal sanctuaries out there, Best Friends in Kanab Utah, has a wealth of information related to helping out our animal friends affected by Katrina. Check out their home page Best Friends or one of the more touching pages with feedback from people trying to help Best Friends Katrina Support Comments (Their server appears to be a bit overwhelmed, so you may get a server error on the first try)

Even though they are located across the country from where Katrina hit, they have a nationwide support network, so don't be put off by their location.

Having visited their sanctuary a few years back to do a week of volunteer work (and visit the local national parks like Bryce Canyon and Zion on off days), I can say that these guys are the real deal: they love and care for animals more than any group I've heard of.

Check out this book Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary makes for great reading for the pet-lovers out there who want to make sure every pet feels loved.

Boo's Mom

mkt said:

wow. *huggles* you have such a big heart :kiss: I'd love to go down there and help out. I can't watch the Hurricane coverage for the fact that I keep getting upset about seeing the animals. I wish there was something else I could do other than donate.

I know for a fact I couldn't leave my pets behind. I just couldn't do it. If the pets can't go, I don't go. There would be no changing my mind.

dflye

Boo's Mom said:
I know for a fact I couldn't leave my pets behind. I just couldn't do it. If the pets can't go, I don't go. There would be no changing my mind.
Wow, can I relate to that. My cousin and her husband live in a one bedroom bungalow on the Indian River near the Sebastion Inlet between Melbourne Beach and Vero Beach in Florida, where the barrier island is only a few hundred feet wide.

Whenever a serious hurricane warning comes in (which happened several times last year, and their ancient and poorly constructed house is only still standing due to being on the leeward side of the barrier island below a dip in the sand, most things on the ocean side a few hundred feet away were partially or completely destroyed :eek: ), they pack up their two cats and bird in the back of their van, and head for safety.

I always worry about what would happen if something bad went down at my house when I was on vacation, as I'm sure our three cats and two dogs would have no clue what to do in case of fire or flood :cry:

Erika

dflye said:
One of the largest animal sanctuaries out there, Best Friends in Kanab Utah, has a wealth of information related to helping out our animal friends affected by Katrina...
OHHHHH Another Best Friends supporter!!! :sohappy: I love, love, LOVE what they do! I've wanted to visit forever but so far we have not been able to make it. Someday though!

Erika

dflye said:
I always worry about what would happen if something bad went down at my house when I was on vacation, as I'm sure our three cats and two dogs would have no clue what to do in case of fire or flood :cry:

I'm the same way. We have our security system hooked up to the fire dept (through the smoke alarm) and a rescue notice on the front door... but anything can happen. You just never know.

mkt

Premium Member
ok... just did calculations, and yeah... there's no way I can get into New Orleans without a tank. Anyone wanna give me a tank?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom