WDWMagic Hurricane Katrina Fundraising Thread

Kwit35

Congrats, Cherrynegra on 8000 posts.
Maybe this thread could be advertised elsewhere on the site. I hardly ever go to Chit-Chat. In fact I didn't really start going at all until recently. I bet there are other people that just hang around in News and General Discussions.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Kwit35 said:
Congrats, Cherrynegra on 8000 posts.
Maybe this thread could be advertised elsewhere on the site. I hardly ever go to Chit-Chat. In fact I didn't really start going at all until recently. I bet there are other people that just hang around in News and General Discussions.

I'm not sure 8000 posts is something to celebrate, but thank you all the same. :lol: :wave:

You bring up a good point, I posted it here originally because I thought this would get the most traffic, and I've posted updates in all the threads dealing with Katrina. I had thought about just dropping in randomly from thread to thread, but that would be spamming and I didn't want to do that. But if you can pass the word around, that would be great. Thanks!! :wave:

Captain Hank

Probably the best solution to the awareness problem would be to put links to this thread in all of our signatures. It wouldn't be spamming, yet a bunch of people would see the links.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Captain Hank said:
Probably the best solution to the awareness problem would be to put links to this thread in all of our signatures. It wouldn't be spamming, yet a bunch of people would see the links.

Yes, as you've probably noticed, some members have added links to the thread in their sigs. Thank you again for your interest and helping out!! Much appreciated. :wave:

MissM

I don't mean to sound like a downer, but why go through a middle-man? Just send your donation directly to Red Cross.

http://www.redcross.org/

Paypal takes out fees for every transaction. Why send money to someone and lose a buck or more out of it when you can just send it direct? Not to mention, there are lots of people doing this type of thing and not all of them are legit. (I'm not implying that this member is, just saying it's always safest to be sure you donate directly to the charity of your choice to ensure your donation is fully received.)

Donate cash to:

American Red Cross
1-800-HELP NOW (435-7669) English,
1-800-257-7575 Spanish;

America’s Second Harvest
1-800-344-8070

Humane Society of the United States
1-888-259-5431

Another great resource is:

Noah's Wish - they exist specifically to help animals in crisis. You can send paypal payments direct on their main site.

Also:
ASPCA
866-275-3923

I encourage everyone to help as they can, but please do it direct to the charity of your choice.

Thank you,
-m

Erika

A duplicate post in response to a duplicate post:

True, anyone can give directly, but some people wanted to do this as part of a group as a showing of solidarity, due to the fact that many of our own members were affected. Some of these members are longtime friends. I don't know how much PayPal takes out but I do know that there are different options to select. The one I chose said "no fee" so I assumed it meant what it said.

As long as people are donating, I don't care what avenue they take. But I wanted to defend the way we were doing it here.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Thank you for your post. Your question has been asked before. I certainly don't want to make myself out to be a middleman. I just thought that one donation on behalf of magic members and in the name of wdwmagic members would be a nice touch. I sort of took on the responsiblity of collecting the donations, and plan on writing one huge check to the American Red Cross. Again, thanks for your concern.

tigsmom

What started out as concern for a few of our members grew into something much bigger. We are giving this in the name of WDWMAGIC and all of its members and it will be going to the Red Cross.
I have donated in various other places and with various other agencies. It is everyone's individual right to do as they please, as long as they do something! :wave:

cherrynegra

Original Poster
MissM said:
Paypal takes out fees for every transaction. Why send money to someone and lose a buck or more out of it when you can just send it direct? Not to mention, there are lots of people doing this type of thing and not all of them are legit. (I'm not implying that this member is, just saying it's always safest to be sure you donate directly to the charity of your choice to ensure your donation is fully received.)

Well, I wasn't going to bring it up to the group until the end of our collection drive, but I've made the decison to match all fees that PayPal deducts so that the amount people donated is the amount they donated. I've kept a detailed log of all donations with fees deducted and added them back in from my account. I hope this alleviates any concern some may have had about the transaction fees.
Thank you. :wave:

tigsmom

cherrynegra said:
Well, I wasn't going to bring it up to the group until the end of our collection drive, but I've made the decison to match all fees that PayPal deducts so that the amount people donated is the amount they donated. I've kept a detailed log of all donations with fees deducted and added them back in from my account. I hope this alleviates any concern some may have had about the transaction fees.

:kiss: What can I say?

Erika

cherrynegra said:

That's the Gordon I know :kiss:

I am not surprised at all.

DDuckFan130

cherrynegra said:
:sohappy:

You're awesome Gordon!

LilDucky

Erika said:
As long as people are donating, I don't care what avenue they take. But I wanted to defend the way we were doing it here.
Agreed Erika! I think most people are capable of choosing the way they donate their money on their own! Either through WDWmagic..... or as a direct donation.

Great job Gordon! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Guys... lay off MissM. She has expressed a concern that others have. Ultimately, it's your money, give it to whome you feel safe giving it to.

That being said.... I'm feeling very tempted right now to go to New Orleans and rescue some pets. I love animals, and seeing the pictures of the dogs suffering is causing me more heartache than I have ever felt... I need to do something

Erika

mkt said:
Guys... lay off MissM. She has expressed a concern that others have. Ultimately, it's your money, give it to whome you feel safe giving it to.

That's the point. There's no reason to tell people NOT to do it through the group. Anyhow, it's stupid to bicker about the way people donate. Like I said earlier, as long as they are donating, that is the important thing.

cherrynegra

Original Poster
List Of Donators To The Wdwmagic Hurricane Katrina Fundraiser

Thank you again to all of you who donated whatever you could to our fundraising drive. I hope other magic members will be inspired to donate by your action. Thank you!! :wave: Don't forget, the amount donated will be updated each day at 7:00 p.m. (PST)

Amount Donated As of 7:00 p.m. (PST) September 5th, 2005

by PayPal $2565
by Check $120

Total Donated $2685

A
Jennifer A
B
Jeffrey D B
Oscar B
Todd B
C
Mark C
Scott C
D
Heather D
Victoria M-D
F
Steve F
G
David G
H
David H
Elizabeth H
Gary H
Kristen H
Suzi H
Sherman H
Scott H
J
Shari J
L
Harry L
Madaline L
Vincent L
M
Joel M
Laura M*
Mary M
Regina M
P
Shannon P
R
Barbara S. R
Brian R
Christy R
Lynn R
Robert R
S
Erika S
Gene S
Jennifer S
Nancy S
Rain S
Y
Philip Y

*denotes contribution by check

Computer Magic

mkt said:
That being said.... I'm feeling very tempted right now to go to New Orleans and rescue some pets. I love animals, and seeing the pictures of the dogs suffering is causing me more heartache than I have ever felt... I need to do something
Let's not forget those pets out there.

Hurricane Katrina Emergency "Round Up" Fundraiser
petcofoundation_roundup.jpg
During an emergency "Round Up" fundraiser now through September 11, 2005, each time you make a purchase at a PETCO store, we'll ask you to Round Up your purchase to the next highest dollar - and we will donate that difference to the PETCO Foundation. All proceeds go to the PETCO Foundation to support animal welfare disaster relief needs within the Gulf Coast region. Or make an online donation to the PETCO Foundation now.

The Round Up fundraiser may be extended depending on the need and the amount raised. The PETCO Foundation has already provided more than $100,000 worth of assistance to animal welfare agencies in the wake of last year's hurricanes. The PETCO Foundation assists with Disaster Response teams from the Humane Society of the United States and the American Humane Association to address the critical animal needs created by the recent weather events. Together we will make a difference.

stitchx28

Thanks for the support

Thanks for all of the donations and thoughts that you have given. Being from New Orleans and still living in Southeastern Louisiana their are many Disney fans that are in a need of a lot of Love, Support and some Disney Magic!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom