WDWMagic Hurricane Katrina Fundraising Thread

MsSnuzi

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

I knew we could do it! Think we will hit $5000? I'd love to see that - I may have to dig a little deeper if we get closer . . . . .

MKCP 1985

This thread is awesome and your generosity brings tears to my eyes. A couple of quick stories to show how your donations help, small and large.

My church receives canned goods on a daily basis from all over the country. The canned goods are separated and then used (a) to feed people from the community daily - both displaced families and the rescue workers down here helping out - around 2,000 meals per day for as long as there is a need and the food holds out; and (b) placed in grocery bags that people take home with them because most grocery stores have not reopened and there are few options for dining out.

Secondly, schools had just started back before the storm. Working people had shelled out for back to school supplies - you all know what that can cost. All those supplies were washed away - book bags, calculators, and the rest. My wife is a member of a service organization that supplies clothing and school supplies to children whose parents cannot afford to go shopping. Her headquarters was wiped out, along with their stock of clothing and supplies. Schools reopen at the first of October and her organization expects a large amount of calls for help, only their stock is gone until supplies can be obtained.

Again, thank you all so much.

Doug

tigsmom

Stores & Churches in our area are collecting non perishable foods and school supplies (as well as money). It may take a little while to get there but help is on its way from NY.

We heard so many of the bad things that have happened its nice to hear some of the good. Thanks for filling us in. Stay safe! :kiss:

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Good morning everyone!! I'm going to wait to update the final total until tomorrow. Today is the last day of our drive, and I had hoped to make it to the bank today to get the cashier's check made out, but I got another donation this morning, and I'm still waiting for one more donation committment by mail. So I'll just wait until the end of the day to give those who haven't given a chance to participate. Thanks!! :wave:

cherrynegra

Original Poster
List Of Donators To The Wdwmagic Hurricane Katrina Fundraiser

Thank you again to all of you who donated whatever you could to our fundraising drive. I hope other magic members will be inspired to donate by your action. Thank you!! :wave:

Amount Donated As of 6:00 p.m. (PST) September 17th, 2005

by PayPal $3641.55
by Check $858.45

Total Donated $4500

A
Glenda A
Gordon A
Jennifer A
Lisa M. A.
B
Alicia B
Bradley P B
Donna Barnes*
Jeffrey D B
Oscar B
Todd B
C
Mark C
Scott C
Thomas C
D
Heather D
Victoria M-D
F
Dan F
Miriam F
Steve F
G
David G
H
David H
Elizabeth H
Gary H
Kristen H
Suzi H
Sherman H
Scott H
J
Shari J
L
Harry L
Madaline L
Vincent L
M
Joel M
Joseph M
Laura M*
Mary M
Regina M
P
Shannon P
R
Barbara S. R
Brian R
Christy R
Lynn R
Robert R
S
Erika S
Gene S
Jennifer S
Nancy S
Rain S
Richard S
T
Kay T*
W
Harry W
Y
Philip Y

*denotes contribution by check

tigsmom

cherrynegra said:
List Of Donators To The Wdwmagic Hurricane Katrina Fundraiser

Thank you again to all of you who donated whatever you could to our fundraising drive. I hope other magic members will be inspired to donate by your action. Thank you!! :wave:

Amount Donated As of 6:00 p.m. (PST) September 17th, 2005

by PayPal $3641.55
by Check $858.45

Total Donated $4500

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Well, we've come to the end of our fundraising drive. Just a couple updates so you all know what I'm going to do.

1. I will transfer the balance of the PayPal donations over to a checking account I've set up, and then I will have a cashier's check made out to the American Red Cross with WDWMagic in the memo field.

2. I will take pics of me at the bank, and pics of the check and other check donated, and I will take pics of me donating the check to the ARC.

I hope to have this done by Monday. I'm itching to get this money to those folks so that it can serve some good to those in need. Look out for my report in the news and rumor section.

Thank you to all of you who donated. Thank you to all of you for the moral support. Special thanks to Steve who gave permission for us to have this fundraising drive. Special thanks also to Mad, Sherman, and Pam for being there to answer questions I had that came up during the fundraising drive.

Once again, thank you to all of you for proving that wdwmagic has the best people with the biggest hearts!! Smoochies to all of you!! :kiss: :wave:

WDWScottieBoy

:sohappy: Congrats to everyone that helped, now we know we will have helped many people through this hard time.

*GROUP HUGGLES!!!*

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Computer Magic

cherrynegra said:
Thank you to all of you who donated. Thank you to all of you for the moral support. Special thanks to Steve who gave permission for us to have this fundraising drive. Special thanks also to Mad, Sherman, and Pam for being there to answer questions I had that came up during the fundraising drive.

Once again, thank you to all of you for proving that wdwmagic has the best people with the biggest hearts!! Smoochies to all of you!! :kiss: :wave:
This is amazing work from the WDWMAGIC family. This shows how we come together as a community to help others during difficult times.

Gordon, Thank you for leading this effort. It had to be a lot of hard work and very time consuming for you, but look at the reward. Your leadership help raise $4,500.

What you did doesn't surprise me because I knew before this fund raising drive you were a special person. Thanks for making this place even more magical.

Connor002

Well, my school had their collection last friday, they'll probally tell us how much we rasied on monday. I donated what I could, and it feels good to help out. :)

dflye

Connor002 said:
I donated what I could, and it feels good to help out. :)
That is certainly true! :)

In addition to the human side of the disaster, don't forget the pet side of the equation, as thousands upon thousands of pets were left stranded.

While I wish I could afford to take time off from work and help with the ongoing animal rescue efforts (look around the Best Friends Katrina Special Report page to get an idea of the magnitude of the problem) If you have pets, some of the articles are not for the hyper-sensitive, as you'll be crying your eyes out in no time.

All I can do is donate what money I can, and pray for a speedy recovery for those affected by Katrina, whether they walk on two legs or four legs!

Erika

I just saw this about 2 of our suburbs here in the Valley. We just moved here and I had not known about the Slidell students who were here earlier. So, a belated thanks to Slidell. And now these 2 towns are trying to give a little back.

SW Valley collecting today for hurricane victims in Slidell, La.

Christine L. Romero
Southwest Valley Republic
Sept. 17, 2005 12:00 AM

The residents of Slidell, La., will get a hand from the Southwest Valley.

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina's disaster, Goodyear and Avondale are adopting Slidell, which is northeast of New Orleans.

Last year, about 65 Slidell residents, mostly teenagers, traveled by bus to help clean up the alleys of historic Goodyear. They also volunteered to help several schools in the Avondale School District.

This year, the Slidell crew returned for a cleanup project by Canada Village in Goodyear. They also pitched in at the Avondale Elementary School District.

The Goodyear Baptist Church organized the volunteer events.

Today, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., about 40 Goodyear police officers, firefighters and Public Works volunteers will be standing on the street near Litchfield Road and Interstate 10 to collect cash contributions from drivers.

The Goodyear Fire and Police departments will have some city vehicles off Litchfield Road near the Dickenson Palm Valley 14 movie theaters.

Officials there will be collecting dry goods.

Needed items include bottled water, new clothing, new shoes, diapers, adult sanitary undergarments and feminine hygiene supplies.

The United Goodyear Firefighters Association is organizing today's event.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
4500!!!! Woo hoo. The magic of Disney fanatics have pulled through. Way to go us!!! Special thanks to our fearless leader/coordinator of fundraising/selfless human being Gordon and and the biggest thanks to all those who donated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom