WDW to Raise All Buffet Prices By Almost 50%?

NearTheEars

Our Gay Days trip last week was spent at the Hilton Grand Vacation Tuscany resort. Total price with taxes and resort fee came to 128.00 night. We had a king bed and a kitchenette with coffee maker, microwave, dishwasher - you know - like a DVC room. We also were given two coffees or bottles of water a day and some of the best service I have experienced. We were super impressed. Cost of breakfast? 8.99 per person.

We also were able to walk right into the outlet mall. The resort had a separate gate for our use. The "FUN TEAM" was always at the pool with lots of activies and so forth.

The days of purchasing an annual pass, using the 40% room rates (which often allowed me to book the moderates for 99. a night) are gone. I have felt priced-out for years now. I have such a love for the creative Disney team and the magic they create that I obviously have some hero-worship. I am disappointed in my hero because I do not feel "the love" back from Disney.

After looking into even just an All-Star resort for a weekend getaway last week we decided to stay off property near Disney Springs. We probably paid about half with a way better room and amenities than what we would have had on property. Unless the worthwhile AP or Florida resident discounts return, we'll likely never stay at a WDW resort again. Not that we ever spend more than 2 or 3 days anyway. It's less than an hour drive for us. But sometimes it's nice to get away.

MissingDisney

But about those buffets.....I fear we've seen our last. We were pretty disappointed in our Nov 2015 trip and already said we probably wouldn't be making our annual trip next year and probably not even in 2017, just didn't feel the need. Then all the gouging started so it really got irritating and now seeing this madness.....they've lost their &$#% minds. The thing that saddens me is we have a lot of great family memories at those stupid character meals when the kids were littles. Amazing pics, fun, unrushed interactions with characters...stuff families these days miss out on because they can't afford these ungodly prices. Too bad, really. I know, I know. Some of you think Disney is only for the wealthy anyway. :rolleyes:

bhg469

Our Gay Days trip last week was spent at the Hilton Grand Vacation Tuscany resort. Total price with taxes and resort fee came to 128.00 night. We had a king bed and a kitchenette with coffee maker, microwave, dishwasher - you know - like a DVC room. We also were given two coffees or bottles of water a day and some of the best service I have experienced. We were super impressed. Cost of breakfast? 8.99 per person.

We also were able to walk right into the outlet mall. The resort had a separate gate for our use. The "FUN TEAM" was always at the pool with lots of activies and so forth.

The days of purchasing an annual pass, using the 40% room rates (which often allowed me to book the moderates for 99. a night) are gone. I have felt priced-out for years now. I have such a love for the creative Disney team and the magic they create that I obviously have some hero-worship. I am disappointed in my hero because I do not feel "the love" back from Disney.
You're not the only one.

Nj4mwc

I recall hearing that a while back CMs at Crystal Palace had to start telling guests as they seated them what the cost of their meal would be, because the sticker shock for the unaware was so great that Guest Services was getting overwhelmed with complaints. I wonder if this is still going on. (I wouldn't know because I seldom do buffets. 1. Just thinking of all the people who have been digging through that food before you skeeves me out. 2. I leave either feeling as though I ate too much or I didn't get my money's worth - a complete lose/lose, either way.)
I really feel as though some of Disney's most egregious price gouging takes place where they think it will be least noticed. For example:
1. "Let's make a bunch of meals two credits on the dining plan. People will think they prepaid for their meals, but if they're not paying attention to their credit use, they will run out of credits and still have to buy more food. Bwahahahaha!"
2. "Almost no one checks stroller fees. Let's charge more per day for a double stroller rental ($31 dollars) than some people are paying for their rental cars!"
3. "Speaking of rental cars, people aren't going to realize we charge day guests $20 to park, or $35 for premium parking, until they arrive at the gate. Too late to turn back now!"
When people see those commercials that advertise All-Star rates while showing pictures of the Grand Floridian, they have no idea the incidental costs they will encounter when they arrive. I think Disney knows this and really takes advantage. That's why Disney charges so much for food, strollers, parking, ecvs, etc. These are all things that fly under the radar when people are pricing their vacation, so Disney can really gouge them when people arrive and realize they need these things.
I made my kids choose between souveniers or a stroller last trip, my 8 year old walked while my 5 yr old sat in a stroller getti n g nothing, after a day he decided walking wasnt so bad

Capsin4

Staying off property and eating at least some meals offsite will almost certainly save you more money than free dining. You could probably even make out better if you get a discounted room and eat some meals off property than you do with free DDP. It's really only a great promotion if you were going to eat at those places anyway and pay cash.
Yeah I'm aware. It's just our favorite way to visit is to fly in and stay on property with no rental car. We don't like to leave property when we're there. We do other things in Florida on other trips. Last year we skipped Disney altogether and stayed off property to visit universal. I'm not sure what our future is with Disney, but the "escape" approach isn't worth it anymore for us.

Capsin4

Boggles my mind that stealing in any form is being justified on here.
Almost speechless. Do you think you're being some modern day Robin Hood or something?

You're better than this.

ETA: Man i really don't know why, but this has really fired me up. And it has nothing to do with a like or dislike of WDW. You seriously are justifying STEALING because you think they'd make too much profit off of you. Its unbelievable. I mean, just at a loss here. And I hope I'm not the only one.
Some people should just stay home.

ParentsOf4

Bobby readily admitted that on the last earnings call. Attendance down but revenue up....
Yes but keep in mind that domestic Parks & Resorts revenue was up only 5.7%, the smallest increase since the recession.

There are a several factors at work including economic uncertainty in South America, which had been driving much of Orlando's growth over the last several years.

tirian

This is purely anecdotal, but I'm tossing it out here because it's an example of how prices are finally inching upward too much.

The average salary in my office of 14 people is somewhere in the mid $150k range. Everyone who's married is in a two-income family, meaning their total household income at least tops $200k. Over the last couple of days, lunchtime conversations have turned to vacation, and nobody except me is going to WDW. The reasons? "They've raised their prices too much. The food was expensive and terrible. The new Fast Pass is too complicated. I looked at the website and there's too much advanced planning."

My coworkers are going to private cabins, "Sandals" beaches, ski resorts, Europe, Canada, etc. but not Disney. Is Disney REALLY much more expensive than those places? Of course not.

The problem is that when people start spending a certain amount of money, they do NOT think of theme parks. No amount of advanced FP+ ressies or meet-and-greets will change that theme parks simply don't have the same perceived value as a two-week vacation to Europe.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah I'm aware. It's just our favorite way to visit is to fly in and stay on property with no rental car. We don't like to leave property when we're there. We do other things in Florida on other trips. Last year we skipped Disney altogether and stayed off property to visit universal. I'm not sure what our future is with Disney, but the "escape" approach isn't worth it anymore for us.
I hear you. The bubble has been burst for a lot of people. I own DVC points but only enough to go every other year which I find is more than enough for me and we get groceries in room and eat some meals off property too. I can't imagine there are too many people left going multiple times a year and staying on property in the bubble. The pricing is definitely structured towards the once in a lifetime or once every so often crowd as opposed to the park regulars. Look at the insane prices of APs compared to other theme parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is purely anecdotal, but I'm tossing it out here because it's an example of how prices are finally inching upward too much.

The average salary in my office of 14 people is somewhere in the mid $150k range. Everyone who's married is in a two-income family, meaning their total household income at least tops $200k. Over the last couple of days, lunchtime conversations have turned to vacation, and nobody except me is going to WDW. The reasons? "They've raised their prices too much. The food was expensive and terrible. The new Fast Pass is too complicated. I looked at the website and there's too much advanced planning."

My coworkers are going to private cabins, "Sandals" beaches, ski resorts, Europe, Canada, etc. but not Disney. Is Disney REALLY much more expensive than those places? Of course not.

The problem is that when people start spending a certain amount of money, they do NOT think of theme parks. No amount of advanced FP+ ressies or meet-and-greets will change that theme parks simply don't have the same perceived value as a two-week vacation to Europe.
I know a lot of people that are the same way. They have kids and agreed to go to WDW for their one time trip but aren't going back. They usually complain a lot when coming back. I have a few friends with kids who have been going the all inclusive Caribbean or Mexico route for years now. They put their kids in the "kids club" and relax on the beach or at the bar.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

This describes us, When Disney has raised their prices so high that people earning six figure incomes think it's 'too expensive' you as a company have gone too far. As to the restaurant pricing well a bunch of us are going to RunDisney in January and we were planning a birthday party as a bunch of us have them around that time, Turns out Disney Events is going to be not too much more than a buffet and it will be 'our event'.

PhotoDave219

Yes but keep in mind that domestic Parks & Resorts revenue was up only 5.7%, the smallest increase since the recession.

There are a several factors at work including economic uncertainty in South America, which had been driving much of Orlando's growth over the last several years.

They're staying home for the Olympics. Can't blame them.

Didnt we have a discussion once on depending on one segment of the market more than another? Or how it wasn't wise to alienate the passholders/locals who will always be there should everything go wrong again?

I guess I'm one of the few who remember the MK being dead on a Friday in March 2004, closed at 7. Able to do all three mountains in an hour. Events/Circumstances could lead us back there again....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They're staying home for the Olympics. Can't blame them.

Didnt we have a discussion once on depending on one segment of the market more than another? Or how it wasn't wise to alienate the passholders/locals who will always be there should everything go wrong again?

I guess I'm one of the few who remember the MK being dead on a Friday in March 2004, closed at 7. Able to do all three mountains in an hour. Events/Circumstances could lead us back there again....

Nope I remember those times too although I was there at a busier time as in the university world peak workload is august-october, Also 2008-2010 where Disney gave you 3 extra months on your AP if you renewed. Disney has done a awesome job alienating the passholder and unfortunately they have done a better job on alienating the higher level passholders i.e. the ones who also own DVC or vacation homes in Central FL.

PhotoDave219

Nope I remember those times too although I was there at a busier time as in the university world peak workload is august-october, Also 2008-2010 where Disney gave you 3 extra months on your AP if you renewed. Disney has done a awesome job alienating the passholder and unfortunately they have done a better job on alienating the higher level passholders i.e. the ones who also own DVC or vacation homes in Central FL.

Point being, they're lost their safety net if everything goes horribly wrong tomorrow.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Wow. Great analysis. If everything goes horribly wrong, WDW will suffer. Holy Moly, photographers is so smrt.

I don't think you are getting the context here, Locals and AP holders basically saved WDW's butt post 2001 and 2008, The past couple of years Disney has gone out it's way to 'Fire' these customers in favor of 'one and done' customers. The locals and AP holders have been WDW 'safety net' for decades. It no longer HAS this safety net,

Why do you think UNI has been courting both locals and passholders. It's not for short term profit as Disney is correct that 'one and done is the most profitable' It's that UNI understands that during a downturn these people are guaranteed business. Business planning needs to understand that there are DOWN times too and you need a mix of business types not just 'The Most Profitable' as that business is the first to go in a downturn.

culturenthrills

I don't think you are getting the context here, Locals and AP holders basically saved WDW's butt post 2001 and 2008, The past couple of years Disney has gone out it's way to 'Fire' these customers in favor of 'one and done' customers. The locals and AP holders have been WDW 'safety net' for decades. It no longer HAS this safety net,

Why do you think UNI has been courting both locals and passholders. It's not for short term profit as Disney is correct that 'one and done is the most profitable' It's that UNI understands that during a downturn these people are guaranteed business. Business planning needs to understand that there are DOWN times too and you need a mix of business types not just 'The Most Profitable' as that business is the first to go in a downturn.

SW too. Why do you think they have opened a passholder lounge, Preview Party for Mako, ERT on Mako for AP, free quick queue for Mako, bring a friend free twice a year. SW has been trying to build back up attendance and word of mouth by courting AP holders.

ParentsOf4

I don't think you are getting the context here, Locals and AP holders basically saved WDW's butt post 2001 and 2008, The past couple of years Disney has gone out it's way to 'Fire' these customers in favor of 'one and done' customers. The locals and AP holders have been WDW 'safety net' for decades. It no longer HAS this safety net.
Disney very much has a safety net of locals, AP holders, and DVC members.

WDW profitability will falter during the next recession; it has every previous recession. When that happens, Disney will offer big discounts to its "safety net" at which point all will be forgiven.

"Wow, they're offering 40% room discounts" or "Gee, they're offering 3 extra months with an AP renewal" or "OMG, there's free dining for spring break!" or "They're offering free park days with a 4-day ticket!"

Businesses know they can mistreat brand loyalists time-and-again since it takes one good offer to restore that brand loyalty to full strength.

The long-term concern is creating new brand loyalists; consumers who can be counted on to buy the product for years or even decades. Disney's current theme park strategy doesn't do that to the same extent as before, but that won't boomerang until Iger is long gone. Basically, the current brand loyalists (i.e. we who post regularly on these threads) will have to start dying off before WDW will really be in a world of hurt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom