WDW to Raise All Buffet Prices By Almost 50%?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
He simply understands the nuances to the discussion, which I think you don't quite get.
I get the discussion. It's not even very nuanced. It's pretty straight forward.

I was commenting on a post that IMO, like 80% of this posters posts, was pointless. He regurgitates others thoughts and alters the wording enough to fool people into thinking he came up with it on his own.

He also pretended to be an insider for a bit, until that fell apart.

It is what it is I guess. Nothing to do with you...and really, until this semi-insulting bit of words you posted, I thought we got along alright.

bhg469

This is purely anecdotal, but I'm tossing it out here because it's an example of how prices are finally inching upward too much.

The average salary in my office of 14 people is somewhere in the mid $150k range. Everyone who's married is in a two-income family, meaning their total household income at least tops $200k. Over the last couple of days, lunchtime conversations have turned to vacation, and nobody except me is going to WDW. The reasons? "They've raised their prices too much. The food was expensive and terrible. The new Fast Pass is too complicated. I looked at the website and there's too much advanced planning."

My coworkers are going to private cabins, "Sandals" beaches, ski resorts, Europe, Canada, etc. but not Disney. Is Disney REALLY much more expensive than those places? Of course not.

The problem is that when people start spending a certain amount of money, they do NOT think of theme parks. No amount of advanced FP+ ressies or meet-and-greets will change that theme parks simply don't have the same perceived value as a two-week vacation to Europe.
My last Florida trips were entirely based on the fact I was going for work. If I had money for an actual vacation I would save for a sandals resort again. St Lucia was an amazing trip and we barely did any excursions. 3 resorts with impeccable service with all you can eat and drink... Yeah just a bit better than a week in o town.

BAChicagoGal

The problem is Disney like all companies care about profit over you. If they can increase the prices and still fill the restaurants they do not care if you are loyal been going to WDW for 30 years or it is your first visit, they just take your money. I used to go to WDW twice a year and I am not kidding myself I will be back but I do not plan on returning for a long time, I am sick of the prices and I hate the security checks (Welcome to the Happiest Place On Earth, but first we got to make sure you are not a terrorist)..... but give me 10 years or so I will go back. You think Disney cares ? As long as they fill the parks, they will charge whatever they can get away with and careless if I return or anybody else goes back. Two choices either avoid the place until they build enough you just have to go back, or pay up; complaining will get you no where.

I love the terrorist comment. This is exactly how I felt every day when I went in February. Right now I am planning a visit for seven, and I do not look forward to the "entering the park phase", of each day. Complain, and you get, "wouldn't you rather be safe than sorry?" They might as well go to airport security mode, they certainly charge enough to do the upgrade.

asianway

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

This describes us, When Disney has raised their prices so high that people earning six figure incomes think it's 'too expensive' you as a company have gone too far. As to the restaurant pricing well a bunch of us are going to RunDisney in January and we were planning a birthday party as a bunch of us have them around that time, Turns out Disney Events is going to be not too much more than a buffet and it will be 'our event'.
Hope none of you do character stops. Star Wars 5-10k had 3, 4 at the half.

BAChicagoGal

I have planned three character meals for my end of the Summer trip, and I deliberately did late morning breakfasts rather than lunch in order to save some money. Personally, I'd skip the character meals altogether, but I am traveling with a family of 6, who just lost a family member. They are treating the kids to a "Disney" vacation. All of the kids will be using the DAS, and eating with characters will be super special for the three of them.

I have watched prices climb, since my first trip back in 1997. The food is not worth the money. The customers cough up the bucks, "Me included", because of the atmosphere more than the meal on the plate. Disney knows this, of course, and they keep raising prices, because they keep filling up their restaurants, and their hotels, which are also overpriced.

My husband won't go, because he thinks Disney is horrible, but he encourages me to go, because he knows I have a great time overall, despite some of the things I don't like. There is plenty of "Magic" that doesn't cost me a penny, There are things I "give in to", and things, I just "outright refuse".

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Just leaving from a trip to wdw from the past week and a half and one thing is for sure, the buffets DO NOT need to go up in price

In addition, I now know why Akershus has the princess dinner. It's because their food tastes about as good as the step sisters feet that tried on the glass slipper

Last edited:

BAChicagoGal

I have never eaten either lunch or dinner in the Norway Restaurant, but I have had breakfast. I was happy that at least, at this late date of 79 days out, I was able to get an ADR for a party of seven. Of course, we are going for the princesses, and not for the food. Although, it's been years since I have eaten there, last time I did, I really enjoyed the breakfast, and the character interaction.

Do they still take photos there, and are they included on Memory Maker?

dennis-in-ct

That's the crux of the issue right there Disney wants to charge for a high end experience without actually providing one

This was our comment too after our Gay Days visit. We really had a talk about the value of what was offered. Having been three years ago for our youngest daughter's college graduation as compared to Disney's current offerings, we only noticed new offerings in Animal Kingdom. The Tree Of Life awakening was amazing. But THAT was IT.

Epcot future world felt like a badly dated, neglected abandoned mall. It was depressing. I was sitting there having a coffee and feeling annoyed. The communicore cut-through smelled like a sewage back up. Walking into IMAGINATIONS was a shock to see three large portraits greeting us - One has passed (Robin Williams) and the other two - Eric Idle and Rick Moranis - are not really relevant to today's visitor. I mean, I am 50 and I know who they are but can't imagine people younger than me even know who these people are. I remember when Future World inspired me. Now it makes me sad what a shadow of it's former self it has become. We truly enjoyed walking World Showcase at dusk. Appreciated the entertainers and had a nice meal experience at the German Pavilion. Watched Illuminations (a 17 yr old show) and reminisced about how we all missed Tapestry of Nations.

Disney Studios was depressing. We parked hopped later in the day, got to ride Midway Mania (the new third track), rode the 27 year old Great Movie Ride, walked through One Man's Dream and then heard the park announcement at 8:30pm that the park was closing. Urgh. Why did we even bother visiting this park. Again it felt like we were suckers for even walking through the gates.

Thank God for magic kingdom and Animal Kingdom we thought.

Ok. Now we visit Universal after also not visiting for three years. The bottom line was we were wowed by the new offerings and it felt like there were more things to see. Just being able to wander the park stress-free and wait for attractions on the spur of the moment (without having to pre-book 60 days in advance) with wait times of 20 - 30 mins was wonderful. People who pay for Express Pass are few and far between which allows the lines to move. By contrast, the standby lines for Disney were insane due to the fastpass system. I mean, Haunted Mansion rarely had a line until fastpass showed-up.

Our final conclusion was that Disney did not offer the experiences for the money we paid but we felt we got that value at Universal. We typically visited WDW more than twice a year. Now visiting three years apart and not seeing additional WDW offerings was upsetting. I would rather spend the money on a cruise. We just shook our heads,

I understand that it does not matter what we think as long as new people keep showing up. As PT Barnum said, "There is a sucker born every minute"

Last edited:

matt9112

The DDP never offered three meals a day, unless going for deluxe.

The original plan was still one QS (inc dessert) and one TS. But the TS was three courses and TIP included. Having to add the tip on makes a big difference to us!

i ate at chef mickeys on the DDP and almost fell over when i saw how much i had to tip. sad really but we only do the DDP when it is offered as promo. i feel so poor when i visit now with no DDP. used to eat so much food it was really over kill.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hope none of you do character stops. Star Wars 5-10k had 3, 4 at the half.

No not really character stop people it's just fun running through empty parks and backstage

Even so that's a huge reduction (along with a big price increase) compared to the marathon last January that's gonna hurt the 2018 marathon

matt9112

I know a lot of people that are the same way. They have kids and agreed to go to WDW for their one time trip but aren't going back. They usually complain a lot when coming back. I have a few friends with kids who have been going the all inclusive Caribbean or Mexico route for years now. They put their kids in the "kids club" and relax on the beach or at the bar.

no issue with those trips but i really do value family time. if my son is going to be tossed in a club why bring him? just have family watch him no? thats the one thing i like about the parks is that we all can enjoy it together.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
no issue with those trips but i really do value family time. if my son is going to be tossed in a club why bring him? just have family watch him no? thats the one thing i like about the parks is that we all can enjoy it together.
I agree. That's why I'm luggin my kids around in O-town in August when it's 197 degrees out (when you factor in the humidity). I'm going to an adult only all inclusive in Punta Cana for 3 nights with just my wife this year and we rented a house in the outer banks for a week with the whole family. I have no desire to send my kids to "day care" while we are on vacation. I don't get to spend a ton of times with the kids and we all enjoy vacations together.

ssidiouss@mac.c

This type of thing is the reason why I kind of moved on to Universal as my main base of operations when i go to florida a few times a year. Its where I stay now (Cabana Bay is my fav resort ever) and i'm finding all sorts of little spots around Universal to relax at while hitting Disney maybe just once per trip if that. It just seems that Universal tries harder recently.. they are building new stuff super fast so theres always new stuff popping up and it doesn't feel like everything is a cash grab there.. they do the little things that show its about the effort and not the bottom line. Little stuff like resort specific mugs etc goes a long way when you consider they could just cut corners like disney does with its Disney Parks bland cost saving designs. The decision to go with that little extra details makes Universal feel like old school disney.. back when Disney at least made it seem like they cared about magic more than money.

BAChicagoGal

This type of thing is the reason why I kind of moved on to Universal as my main base of operations when i go to florida a few times a year. Its where I stay now (Cabana Bay is my fav resort ever) and i'm finding all sorts of little spots around Universal to relax at while hitting Disney maybe just once per trip if that. It just seems that Universal tries harder recently.. they are building new stuff super fast so theres always new stuff popping up and it doesn't feel like everything is a cash grab there.. they do the little things that show its about the effort and not the bottom line. Little stuff like resort specific mugs etc goes a long way when you consider they could just cut corners like disney does with its Disney Parks bland cost saving designs. The decision to go with that little extra details makes Universal feel like old school disney.. back when Disney at least made it seem like they cared about magic more than money.

I am staying at Universal for the first time in early September and it's nice to hear some positive feedback from someone who has been there before.

AEfx

Wow.

Even five years ago you would have been obliterated for making that post, particularly in the WDW section of the forum.

Now?

Most of us just sadly nod because we know it's true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom