WDW to Raise All Buffet Prices By Almost 50%?

gmajew

Premium Member
I do it because I was told by dozens and dozens of CMs at different locations over 15 years to bring my mugs back. And then Disney saw that a tiny amount of people were doing it and decided they were losing money. (They weren't ... because I wasn't buying a new mug ... I wasn't going to dine at the locations if I couldn't refill etc.) It's beyond ridiculous ... but gotta love RapidFill ... so now I go where I know the system is shut off and fill up for free (right now, it's Captain Cook's ... drink well, my friends!) or buy a small/child's beverage and they get $$$ from me, but not what they want.

When you nickel and dime like WDW does to its Guests, especially longtime loyal ones ... you have to expect that they are going to get some of that back one way or the other.

I do take soap and H2O shampoo from maid's carts as well (actually, usually I just ask them and they hand me loads of of it ... even if I am staying at UNI!!!)

Ok man sometimes your stick is funny and sometimes it is just to much. The fact people at local taco bells are asking for water cups and then filling with soda is wrong.

The bring your cup back discussion for refills is one thing but not this. If the refills of the mugs were part of the deal you paid for them so be it. But to go around the policy is just wrong and why companies are now charging 3 bucks for a drink. To make others pay for this behavior.

Long term guest or not times change right or wrong advocating stealing is not the right way to handle it. Finding ways to screw business besides the big bad Disney out of there profit is not something to preach.

Sorry sets me off as I lose profit daily to this bs and I fight hard to make my companies to each and every day I fight for the pennies. Just to see people with this type of attitude take

BrerJon

I would expect most truly rich people stay at the Four Seasons or just rent a full house offsite and have a chauffer/taxi take them to the parks.
Those who really have money would use VIP services rather than any dinner package or dessert party. All upcharges are aimed at middle classes

Agree on the upcharges, they're for people who want to splurge to feel like they're spoiling themselves, or their kids.

But as for why the rich would stay on property, Disney magic is Disney magic, whoever you are.

You actually don't have to be rich to rent a full house offsite and get a taxi to the parks each day - a combination of Uber trips and one of the many luxury villas available minutes from Disney for a pittance, means the cost of doing so is almost always less than the cost of staying at a moderate resort.

So why do people still pay through the nose to be on property, to be crammed in small rooms and on smelly buses? Because of the indefinable magic staying on-property provides to some people. And if that's worth paying for from all the less well off who flock to the onsite hotels, it's even more of a no-brainer for the wealthier crowd who feel that way.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I would expect most truly rich people stay at the Four Seasons or just rent a full house offsite and have a chauffer/taxi take them to the parks.
Those who really have money would use VIP services rather than any dinner package or dessert party. All upcharges are aimed at middle classes

They are aimed at rubes and their money. Simple. Most are, believe it or not, middle or even working class. Sure some wealthy thrown in there because they went as kids or like theme parks or have kids ... but they are a tiny percentage.

They are not the ones spending $69 a head for cupcake parties before Star Wars fireworks. They just flat out aren't. In a city where there are great chain and non-chain steakhouses, they aren't asking the concierge to get them into Le Cellier ... nope. And their accommodations likely don't include towel animals, but also aren't 3-stars in the real world.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
THat just ticked me off knowing they are making even more money off me withfloat dollars and not just over charging me on the food

To be fair it's standard fund management for any 'prepaid' entitlement from ANY company in the US when you buy a gift card the money goes into an interest bearing account.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Right, but theres a thread for that already right? Raising the prices by 50% is a rather large increase and one that would obviously draw an angry response, which is why I am asking if there is anything to support that title, or separate this thread from that one (which imho had a much more accurate title).

What do you feel is a fair increase? If I told you that WDW shouldn't raise prices, but actually lower them, how would you feel?
Do you think WDW would lose money if dinner at any buffet on property was 'only' $25 a head? How about $20?

I think so many of you are living in an absolutely different world and it is fascinating to me ...

gmajew

Premium Member
Do you know how much Disney pays for that soda? Go on, have a guess.

Yeah I do as I have negotiated contracts way bigger then there's with coke. I also know exactly how much to the cent it cost to pour every size drink. Soft drinks are huge profit center for places huge but also helps keep other cost in line. Meaning change a little less for that Sammy but make up the profit on the drink.

So please don't try to lecture me on cost. Stealing in any way shape or form from anyone if you feel it is right and just is still wrong. End for story.

If you want to steal from them don't go then they will actually feel it and force to change. Problem remains you still go still spend something and nothing changes.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Ok man sometimes your stick is funny and sometimes it is just to much. The fact people at local taco bells are asking for water cups and then filling with soda is wrong.

The bring your cup back discussion for refills is one thing but not this. If the refills of the mugs were part of the deal you paid for them so be it. But to go around the policy is just wrong and why companies are now charging 3 bucks for a drink. To make others pay for this behavior.

Long term guest or not times change right or wrong advocating stealing is not the right way to handle it. Finding ways to screw business besides the big bad Disney out of there profit is not something to preach.

Sorry sets me off as I lose profit daily to this bs and I fight hard to make my companies to each and every day I fight for the pennies. Just to see people with this type of attitude take

Well, I have never in my life dined at a Taco Bell, asked for a water cup and had a Mountain Dew. I am talking about Disney ... and if Disney wants to screw me, then I'm going to respond in kind. I know how little that soda costs them. If I am spending $14 on dinner and 'stealing a soda' how much profit are they making off me? I really don't care what you think about me or whether you think it is moral or not. I can live with it. Disney simply isn't getting that extra $3 out of me unless I have no choice and 95% of the time, I do. Even if it's sending a CM friend backstage to a Coke machine or into a retail outlet that sells bottles (their 35% discount works on them, not on QSRs in parks). Bob Iger can go eff himself, but he ain't getting what he wants from me. Not after 35 years (more really) of APs and loyalty and God only knows how much money spent.

I would argue that the outright shoplifting that happens in huge amounts daily at WDW (no, not talking about fraud ... like certain ex-con con men engaged in) is a result of Disney making price points up as they go. $35 tees? Really. $13 pieces of vinyl? $16 pins? upcharge, upcharge, upcharge? People are tired of it and tend to act unto others as others have acted unto them.

But thanks for the your opinion.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yeah I do as I have negotiated contracts way bigger then there's with coke. I also know exactly how much to the cent it cost to pour every size drink. Soft drinks are huge profit center for places huge but also helps keep other cost in line. Meaning change a little less for that Sammy but make up the profit on the drink.

So please don't try to lecture me on cost. Stealing in any way shape or form from anyone if you feel it is right and just is still wrong. End for story.

If you want to steal from them don't go then they will actually feel it and force to change. Problem remains you still go still spend something and nothing changes.

You are flat out wrong, but no desire to have this discussion again, so let's stay on track with buffet and price increases that you no doubt support because if Boma cost a high $26 a decade ago, it stands to reason that Disney was losing money on that and it should be double or triple in 10 years ... let's talk about that.

gmajew

Premium Member
I know they DONT pay for the syrup... So the marginal cost is the price of the cup, water and water treatment, power to run dispenser and the cost of the dispenser itself.

Actually that is a myth they do pay for the syrup. Not much but they do pay and then thy are rebated it back in the form of marketing Dollars a good portion of it. Coke is a business just like Disney they don't just give away millions in syrup these days.

My friend handles the Disney and Walmart account for coke she used to be on my accounts but got a very good promotion.

gmajew

Premium Member
You are flat out wrong, but no desire to have this discussion again, so let's stay on track with buffet and price increases that you no doubt support because if Boma cost a high $26 a decade ago, it stands to reason that Disney was losing money on that and it should be double or triple in 10 years ... let's talk about that.
maybe you should read my post on the subjects before you continue to open your mouth. As I have bashed that price increase repeatedly.

But again you are the only one that knows or can be right.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Actually that is a myth they do pay for the syrup. Not much but they do pay and then thy are rebated it back in the form of marketing Dollars a good portion of it. Coke is a business just like Disney they don't just give away millions in syrup these days.

My friend handles the Disney and Walmart account for coke she used to be on my accounts but got a very good promotion.

Again, let's leave that behind. Disney pays a pittance which basically winds up being almost nothing when their arrangement kicks in. A $3.49 Coke when you add the cup is about a $3.10 pure profit. I don't want them to have it. They haven't earned it. They haven't given me what they advertise and market, a premium resort product, but they don't refund my money and they don't take my criticisms seriously.

WDW1974

Original Poster
maybe you should read my post on the subjects before you continue to open your mouth. As I have bashed that price increase repeatedly.

But again you are the only one that knows or can be right.

Then maybe you should focus on that. ... And, no, I am not the only one who can be right ... it just seems that way at times!:hungry::devilish::cool:;):D

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
DCL still sports some real MAGIC. For how long, I dunno. There are things that are concerning -- and Karl Holz is hands down one of the worst of the Eisner era execs still around. And when they jump to six ships will the quality remain as high, because I have serious doubts that the Disney Price Premium will be able to be sustained.

It is worth nothing, in regards to @kpilcher 's post about the carpet that they do change it on a regular basis. Some prints may only be in a few places or one which requires new print and delivery. All five DCL trips we have been on, including the two last month, there were various forms of on-going maintenance for aesthetics with carpet replacement being one.

I owe you an e-mail.

bhg469

My wife and i for several years stayed only on property ate in the parks and were happy, we are now planning our next trip to be off poperty and to eat outside the parks because it HAS gotten way to expensive,
This spring we stayed at the lake Buena vista Hilton and had a huge room with a disney springs facing view for a lot less than a value resort. I was completely happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom