WDW Picture of the Day Thread (Part 5)

1DisneyDad

100_4533.jpg

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I thought the only show that banned all photography was Finding Nemo: The Musical? :shrug: Is the rule for CoP something that the cast member announces, or is it in the pre-recorded spiel?

Either way, I would take my chances and take non-flash pictures. 1) It's too loud in Nemo for anyone to hear the shutter snap, and 2) I sit far enough away from others in CoP that I doubt they can hear the shutter snap. I doubt there is any other rationale for the flat out bans on photography, so I am willing to break the rule. Maybe I'm just a rebel (although I don't think so).

I understand the reason for not wanting flash photography as it ruins the experience. Also, the flash picture you get on an attraction pales in comparison to a good non-flash picture. People using the flash on non-flash attractions is actually a big pet peeve of mine. However, I don't see how taking pictures without flash or AF assist beam (external lighting) can hurt the experience. My best guess is that you're right about people not understanding 'no flash' so they just say 'no photography'. This is why I am willing to break the rule--because it doesn't affect the experience for anyone else.

My secret: wide open aperture, not too slow of shutter speed, not too high ISO, and plenty of post-processing to get the exposure back to where it "should be". I always use Manual (M) mode as opposed to Aperture or Shutter Priority (A or S) because I know how far I can "push" the picture in post processing, so I don't want the camera's "opinion" holding me back. You could use exposure compensation to do this in A or S mode, but it's a real pain adjusting the exposure comp. often. Just learn what you can do, and shoot accordingly.

Also, a tripod wouldn't help for a shot like this. I ALWAYS use a tripod for my night time outdoor shots, but a tripod is of little use when the subject is moving (as is the case in any show) because you have to use a fast enough shutter speed to prevent them from being blurred due to their motion.

I won't be posting any WDW pictures for the next week or so--you can read today's Flickr picture's caption for a full explanation (I will be posting Christmas pictures, if you like those!): http://www.flickr.com/photos/10245245@N07/3028386562/

With all the fun noises that a camera makes these days (clicks, dogs barking, "say cheese", etc.) It can ruin an attractions experience. The auto-focus beam ABSOLUTELY ruins the experience. The white light or red striped light is annoying to look at. It makes you feel like you are about to be shot.

So, unless you can make your camera completely silent and have no auto-focus beam, please don't take any photos on attractions.

Figment: I'm sure you could do this.
The rest of the "treasured friends": put the damn camera away and let me experience the attraction!

I have opined that the shutter snap is the reason for no photography rules, and stated that I only take pictures that I believe won't affect others (see above #1). I agree completely about the AF-assist beam (see above #2).

I think so long as it's done in a responsible manner and mindful of others, there are circumstances where using a camera that produces no light is okay. You just have to take stock of your surroundings, and set your camera appropriately (if the surroundings allow for taking pictures, period). I know a lot of people can't do this, which is the reason for blanket rules (there is a definite need to appeal to the "lowest common denominator" quite often). I'm just saying I don't see a problem with photo-savvy folks breaking these blanket rules so long as they don't impact others or harm the attraction.

PhilharMagician

I have opined that the shutter snap is the reason for no photography rules, and stated that I only take pictures that I believe won't affect others (see above #1). I agree completely about the AF-assist beam (see above #2).

I think so long as it's done in a responsible manner and mindful of others, there are circumstances where using a camera that produces no light is okay. You just have to take stock of your surroundings, and set your camera appropriately (if the surroundings allow for taking pictures, period). I know a lot of people can't do this, which is the reason for blanket rules (there is a definite need to appeal to the "lowest common denominator" quite often). I'm just saying I don't see a problem with photo-savvy folks breaking these blanket rules so long as they don't impact others or harm the attraction.

What blanket rules? COP is the only one with an absolutely no photography or videography rule that I am aware of.

I got caught, but I was wrong and will never do it again. Nobody should have special rules that cover them only. The rules are there for a reason and we should not asssume why the rules are put in place to begin with.

BTW I apologize that I even brought up the subject. I just figured I would warn all my friends here before someone got in trouble. Unfortunately I was wrong when I got caught and I would hate to see anyone here possibly be have photos erased or video tapes taken. I don't know why the rule is there, but it is. :wave:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Jeff- Great shot of WL in #902. That is still my favorite hotel at WDW. There is nothing like sitting in the lobby listening to the music, or up in the balconies above the entrance in front of the fire with a book.

Tom- Amazing shot of CoP in #861. I'm with you in that I try to stay away from everyone else when I want to try shots inside like that so as not to distract others. Mine don't come out as good though. I can never get a clear sense of what attractions don't want photography for guest experience reasons (flash, LCD screen distractions in the audience, etc.) and which ones have copyright or other rights issues. Not that most would pay attention, but it might be nice if they noted which it was.

How about some Cinderella Castle from a different angle than the usual for a Friday.

Click on the photo to go direct to the Flickr page

JediMasterMatt

Avast ye mateys! Thar be pirates remodeling yar Castle for this weeks Freaky Friday's Fireworks Fantastical Festival!!

P1291228.jpg

Re: the subject of photo taking etiquette - I'm afraid I will have to agree to disagree with Tom. In my opinion, we are all guests while at an amuesment park. Our host sets the rules we should follow and it is not my place to make up my own rules on what is proper behaviour or determine what is safe. (Please note, I'm not saying I'm perfect as I have taken flash pictures on rides on my first trip to Disney with my camera and there wasn't anyone else on the ride on a February late night party.)

That said, I have to agree that I don't quite understand Disney at times when it comes to photography. You've got attractions like CoP that photography is strictly forbidden and then you've got high speed roller coasters that they just don't seem to care a thing about a heavy camera waving around at high speed. It is pretty much the exact opposite of what is allowed at a Six Flags/Cedar Fair park.

For me at least, while I'm a guest of anyone or anyplace - I abide by whatever rules are established (even if I don't agree or understand the reasons behind them). It's their park and I'm just visiting. Just because I paid to get in doesn't give me the right to determine my own rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom