WDW Picture of the Day Thread (Part 5)

earldw28

DisneyWorld2008208-1.jpg

Joe, absolutely fantastic pic in post #900

daliseurat

I thought the only show that banned all photography was Finding Nemo: The Musical? :shrug: Is the rule for CoP something that the cast member announces, or is it in the pre-recorded spiel?

Either way, I would take my chances and take non-flash pictures. 1) It's too loud in Nemo for anyone to hear the shutter snap, and 2) I sit far enough away from others in CoP that I doubt they can hear the shutter snap. I doubt there is any other rationale for the flat out bans on photography, so I am willing to break the rule. Maybe I'm just a rebel (although I don't think so).

I've asked before and they have always said non-flash pic were fine. I also never had an issue with video. The reasoning I have been given for FLASH photography being forbidden is that the flash can sometimes interfere with the animatronic's movement. And, the flash also spoils the carefully thought out lighting. Some cast member seem to find it easier to simply enforce no photography at all, because many people either ignore the NO FLASH rule, or just don't know how to turn it off.

Figment, did you use a tripod? You always say no, but you get such CRYSTAL clear shots. What is your secret?

°O°Joe

Wow. That may be the greatest shot of the Liberty Belle I've ever seen. Great composition and colors. It looks better than being there!

Thanks! Although I think I may have pushed the colors a little much. They were there though, because of the sunset, so I went for it :)

jeffb

Coryonfire, 1DisneyDad, earldw28 and KeeKee - thank you for the kind words on the Wilderness Lodge photo. It is a stunning hotel.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I've asked before and they have always said non-flash pic were fine. I also never had an issue with video. The reasoning I have been given for FLASH photography being forbidden is that the flash can sometimes interfere with the animatronic's movement. And, the flash also spoils the carefully thought out lighting. Some cast member seem to find it easier to simply enforce no photography at all, because many people either ignore the NO FLASH rule, or just don't know how to turn it off.

Figment, did you use a tripod? You always say no, but you get such CRYSTAL clear shots. What is your secret?

I understand the reason for not wanting flash photography as it ruins the experience. Also, the flash picture you get on an attraction pales in comparison to a good non-flash picture. People using the flash on non-flash attractions is actually a big pet peeve of mine. However, I don't see how taking pictures without flash or AF assist beam (external lighting) can hurt the experience. My best guess is that you're right about people not understanding 'no flash' so they just say 'no photography'. This is why I am willing to break the rule--because it doesn't affect the experience for anyone else.

My secret: wide open aperture, not too slow of shutter speed, not too high ISO, and plenty of post-processing to get the exposure back to where it "should be". I always use Manual (M) mode as opposed to Aperture or Shutter Priority (A or S) because I know how far I can "push" the picture in post processing, so I don't want the camera's "opinion" holding me back. You could use exposure compensation to do this in A or S mode, but it's a real pain adjusting the exposure comp. often. Just learn what you can do, and shoot accordingly.

Also, a tripod wouldn't help for a shot like this. I ALWAYS use a tripod for my night time outdoor shots, but a tripod is of little use when the subject is moving (as is the case in any show) because you have to use a fast enough shutter speed to prevent them from being blurred due to their motion.

I won't be posting any WDW pictures for the next week or so--you can read today's Flickr picture's caption for a full explanation (I will be posting Christmas pictures, if you like those!): http://www.flickr.com/photos/10245245@N07/3028386562/

Gorjus

However, I don't see how taking pictures without flash or AF assist beam (external lighting) can hurt the experience.

With all the fun noises that a camera makes these days (clicks, dogs barking, "say cheese", etc.) It can ruin an attractions experience. The auto-focus beam ABSOLUTELY ruins the experience. The white light or red striped light is annoying to look at. It makes you feel like you are about to be shot.

So, unless you can make your camera completely silent and have no auto-focus beam, please don't take any photos on attractions.

Figment: I'm sure you could do this.
The rest of the "treasured friends": put the damn camera away and let me experience the attraction!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom