WDW Picture of the Day (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveyoumetmark

this photo is awesome it reminds me of a old scary movie say a edgor allen poe sorta thing

That was pretty intentional. They basically lifted the design from Universal's Bates Motel from the 1960-thriller, Psycho. It was directed by Alfred Hitchcock. Poe was a writer in the 1800's.

KeeKee

I have been trying to understand how you guys take such great pictures at nite. There are so many great pictures on these threads that have inspired me. So my question is how or what setting should be chosen to take pictures at nite with little light? I am thinking of getting the Kodak Z712 that has a higher ISO. Will that make a difference? I am going back to the wonderful World in a few weeks and I want to take better pictures. My daytime pictures are fine ..it is the nite time pictures and pictures of fireworks that need serious help. Any information or guidance would be such appreciated!! :)
Thanks Everyone for great and beautiful pics!
Lora
Most of what you are seeing is long exposures on a tripod. You can hand hold the camera sometimes and get a decent shot, but usually you need to be on a tripod, which will allow you to use a lower ISO and get a less grainy photo.

gabroccoli

PC090172.jpg

jeffb

Most of what you are seeing is long exposures on a tripod. You can hand hold the camera sometimes and get a decent shot, but usually you need to be on a tripod, which will allow you to use a lower ISO and get a less grainy photo.

I completely agree with what Keekee says above. At twilight, I can sometime get a good shot using a higher ISO without a tripod but once it is dark out a tripod becomes pretty much a necessity (imho).

photoflight

I have been trying to understand how you guys take such great pictures at nite. There are so many great pictures on these threads that have inspired me. So my question is how or what setting should be chosen to take pictures at nite with little light? I am thinking of getting the Kodak Z712 that has a higher ISO. Will that make a difference? ...

This probably could be moved to the photo tips forum but I'm posting too so... :)

Keekee nailed it pretty much. I'm not a fan of Kodak cameras, but the specs on that Z712 look ok. For a point-and-shoot camera it has a reasonably fast lens (f2.8 at wide angle) and optical stabilization - both of which will go a long way to help you make decent images without a tripod.

Graininess/noise in the image gets worse with high ISO and characteristically changes with the brand and type of sensor the camera has. Some have relatively low noise and good image characteristics at high ISOs, others are very noisy and look pretty lousy at high ISOs. Just because the camera offers a high ISO doesn't mean the pictures will be worth taking! Look at pictures taken with the camera(s) you're thinking about buying, and get a feel for what the sensors will actually do.

Finally, learn how to manually set exposure on your camera...or, at least know how to force the camera to meter for the type of image you want. Metering off the lights and not the backgrounds will sometimes help. Know your limitations, and know what you can get away with.

With all that...I've yet to bring a tripod to WDW and I've gotten away with a lot.

This is from December 2007, hand-held with my 'lil Canon SD600:

Click for larger

Gorjus

You know it is something about the Osborne Lights...perhaps the vast number of them:lol:, but I didn't use a tripod this past year either and I have some pretty decent photos as well. I just went high on the ISO (800 or 1600) and made the shutter open as long as I could possibly could and still hold it steady (around 1/15 I think).

Now in Epcot, absolutely a tripod is needed.

I'm blessed to have the time to just sit and play around with the settings on a photo for 15 minutes if I like. I generally go to WDW alone, so no children begging to go on a ride. So I'll put the camera on manual and just experiment with different combos.

Tim, please tell me that the photo of you and the lovely Belle was not taken by a photopass photographer. I know it was your camera, but did you give your camera to a fellow guest or a character attendant or did a photopass person take that photo. You and Belle did great, I'm cringing at the person who felt it was more important to have a ton of blank space above your heads and cut your feet off. Photo tip: heads generally go at the top of the frame, not in the middle.:brick:

Gorjus

image0480012.jpg

Pirate Mickey and Princess Minnie from the Pirate and Princess Party.

I casually pointed out to Minnie one time that it appeared she was dressing up as Princess Aurora since their dresses and crowns are very similar. She was quick to point out to me that she has been a Disney girl a lot longer than Aurora and it was Aurora who was copying her. Aurora, who was in the room at the time, agreed.

PanfanAL

I have been trying to understand how you guys take such great pictures at nite. There are so many great pictures on these threads that have inspired me. So my question is how or what setting should be chosen to take pictures at nite with little light? I am thinking of getting the Kodak Z712 that has a higher ISO. Will that make a difference? I am going back to the wonderful World in a few weeks and I want to take better pictures. My daytime pictures are fine ..it is the nite time pictures and pictures of fireworks that need serious help. Any information or guidance would be such appreciated!! :)
Thanks Everyone for great and beautiful pics!
Lora

We have the Z710, and it does great. The 712 should actually be better because it has the image stabilization, ours doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom