WDW Picture of the Day (Continued)

Nicole220

100_5960.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Jeff I would love to know more about the Sorcerer's hat picture also. I can't figure out how you did it? I know it involves a long shutter speed and zooming but that's my only information. Do you mind sharing?

Here's one from DL. kag1984 posted this a long time ago and I finally got the chance to copy it. Thanks Keith!

DisneylandDec07100.jpg

kag1984

Jeff I would love to know more about the Sorcerer's hat picture also. I can't figure out how you did it? I know it involves a long shutter speed and zooming but that's my only information. Do you mind sharing?

Here's one from DL. kag1984 posted this a long time ago and I finally got the chance to copy it. Thanks Keith!

DisneylandDec07100.jpg
That turned out great! I'm so jealous it looks like all the light were working when you took your pic. I had huge sections of lights that were out when I was there.

jeffb

Disneyfalcon - Sure, it is a 20 second exposure shot with the lens around 28mm for about 15 seconds and then I slowly turned the lens to 70mm where it sat for about a 1 second or two. The bulk of the visible picture comes from the 15 seconds at 28mm and the bright areas (i.e. the light streams / and the hat) will come through during the zoom and the short time at 70mm. There is also some some color / contrast enhaning via Photoshop CS2.

Gorjus

Jeff, add me to the list that enjoy your zoom photo. While all the other zoom photos are cool, yours seems to fit perfectly with the hat. You see the full hat and then a close up of it. Great job. BTW, some people at photopass have been trying that shot with guests and the powers that be made an announcement: no zoom shots.

This photo reminds me of all the people that come to Toon Town thinking they will be far enough away from the castle so the fireworks will not bother their children who are afraid of fireworks. Toon Town is actually the WORST place to be if you don't like loud noises. Toon Town is the closest place in the park to where the fireworks are shot off from and thus the loudest.

I find it a lot tougher to get these shots with my digital camera. My SLR makes "action" shots a lot easier but can be such a pain to tote around the parks with family in tow. This was one of those multiple shots with the digital that actually caught some of the explosion.

Since you have an slr, I'm sure you know about photography so forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know. It is just what you said about your point and shoot (I assume) digital camera sounds like what I hear from so many guests; things like just hold the button down for a long time and it will eventually take a photo. When I show them that all you have to do is push the shutter button half way down till the camera beeps, meaning it is in focus, and then finish pushing the shutter down the rest of the way, it only takes a second to take a photo and you can time it so you don't miss the hugs from the princesses or car explosions or things like that.

RiversideBunny

Some lessons I learned on our 12/9 -12/16 trip this year with my new camera which has 10x zoom.

1. You can't always get a good shot with the zoom greater than about 6x unless you have a tripod or some surface on which to steady the camera.
The worst case was trying to zoom in on the animals on the Safari ride in the bouncing safari truck.

2. The 'Redeye' setting on the flash can cause you to miss some shots - by the time the redeye flash goes off and then the real flash, you may have missed the shot you wanted. I turned the redeye setting off.
Can always correct it later.

Good luck.
:xmas::xmas:

happymom52003

Since you have an slr, I'm sure you know about photography so forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know. It is just what you said about your point and shoot (I assume) digital camera sounds like what I hear from so many guests; things like just hold the button down for a long time and it will eventually take a photo. When I show them that all you have to do is push the shutter button half way down till the camera beeps, meaning it is in focus, and then finish pushing the shutter down the rest of the way, it only takes a second to take a photo and you can time it so you don't miss the hugs from the princesses or car explosions or things like that.

This works with my first shot, but if I try to take two in a row there is still a long delay with the second one. If I wait a few seconds between shots, then holding it down halfway until the beep works again. Drives me crazy!:hammer:

happymom52003

Some lessons I learned on our 12/9 -12/16 trip this year with my new camera which has 10x zoom.

1. You can't always get a good shot with the zoom greater than about 6x unless you have a tripod or some surface on which to steady the camera.
The worst case was trying to zoom in on the animals on the Safari ride in the bouncing safari truck.

2. The 'Redeye' setting on the flash can cause you to miss some shots - by the time the redeye flash goes off and then the real flash, you may have missed the shot you wanted. I turned the redeye setting off.
Can always correct it later.

Good luck.
:xmas::xmas:

I do the same thing. For some reason, my son's eyes are red in nearly every picture even with the redeye setting on, so I just leave it off. It is weird...the redeye setting works on everyone else in the picture except my son.

Gorjus

This works with my first shot, but if I try to take two in a row there is still a long delay with the second one. If I wait a few seconds between shots, then holding it down halfway until the beep works again. Drives me crazy!:hammer:

I feel your pain. I hear it from parents all the time. "I must need new batteries." "This camera sucks." With most point and shoot cameras there is simply a 5 second delay between photos if you want to use a flash. No getting around it. If you skip the flash and set it on burst or multiple exposure, there is a faster response...depends on the camera. These are all the things I'm considering before buying a point and shoot. Because like you, I don't want to lug a digital slr around the park for 8 hours.

happymom52003

I feel your pain. I hear it from parents all the time. "I must need new batteries." "This camera sucks." With most point and shoot cameras there is simply a 5 second delay between photos if you want to use a flash. No getting around it. If you skip the flash and set it on burst or multiple exposure, there is a faster response...depends on the camera. These are all the things I'm considering before buying a point and shoot. Because like you, I don't want to lug a digital slr around the park for 8 hours.

Yes, that is usually what comes out of my mouth! Will you let us know what kind of point and shoot you decide on if you get one? Thanks!

KeeKee

Yes, that is usually what comes out of my mouth! Will you let us know what kind of point and shoot you decide on if you get one? Thanks!

Not that anybody asked me, but I'll chime in a little bit on this one. We use 3 DSLRs and 3 PAS cameras. The Canon S3 IS is one of the best PASs on the market. Ours is about a year or so old, and I think they are up to the S5 IS now. Here is a link to it: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=15207

I can tell you from personal use that this is an amazing little camera for the money, particularly the optics and ease of use.

DISCLAIMER: Any advice, opinions, information, or data contained in this post should not be used or relied upon without rigorous independent analysis by the reader as to correctness and applicability to the reader's requirements. Any use of, or reliance upon the contents of this post is solely at the reader's own risk. The writer specifically disclaims all liability including, but not limited to, direct, indirect, or consequential damages of any kind arising out of such use or reliance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom