WDW Laying off Cast Members

TP2000

I know he is kind of controversial here, but Al Lutz has a new update this week on his Miceage website that really does a good job of spelling out the massive reorganization in management. Al's update focuses on Anaheim, obviously, but he mentions Orlando a bit and I think his information behind the changes sheds light on what is happening on both coasts.

I know for me at least, reading his new update helped me understand what was happening and just how sweeping these layoffs have been, and will continue to be through the next six weeks.

Just thought some East Coast folks would find that interesting, that may not otherwise visit the Miceage site. :)

yankspy

I know he is kind of controversial here, but Al Lutz has a new update this week on his Miceage website that really does a good job of spelling out the massive reorganization in management. Al's update focuses on Anaheim, obviously, but he mentions Orlando a bit and I think his information behind the changes sheds light on what is happening on both coasts.

I know for me at least, reading his new update helped me understand what was happening and just how sweeping these layoffs have been, and will continue to be through the next six weeks.

Just thought some East Coast folks would find that interesting, that may not otherwise visit the Miceage site. :)
Interesting article. I have to say, the more I read about Lasseter, the more I like him.

TP2000

Interesting article. I have to say, the more I read about Lasseter, the more I like him.

Yeah, no kidding. The main bulk of the Al Lutz article dealt with the layoffs and what it means for the parks, but the stuff about Lasseter staying overnight in Disneyland was fascinating. And funny. :lol:

Duckberg

LUTZ update

Focus by Mr. Lutz appears
AGAIN to be DL oriented. Any
further layoff updates from
current CM's regarding WDW?

Duckberg :rolleyes:

MousDad

I'm still surprised that Al thinks that having Orlando VPs take over DL areas is going to be of benefit to DL. But I can see how he's happy about the cutting of needless positions.

TP2000

I'm still surprised that Al thinks that having Orlando VPs take over DL areas is going to be of benefit to DL. But I can see how he's happy about the cutting of needless positions.

On the flip side, I would think WDW fans would be happy about Disneyland VP's taking over control of parades and park entertainment for both coasts. At least that's what Al Lutz said was happening with this reorg.

MousDad

On the flip side, I would think WDW fans would be happy about Disneyland VP's taking over control of parades and park entertainment for both coasts. At least that's what Al Lutz said was happening with this reorg.

I was under the impression (from his and other articles) that OPs VPs from Orlando were assuming the same duties for Orlando and Anaheim. Don't remember reading about entertainment.

burninup4nick

Resorts close part of their buildings... so if POP has 3 buildings being used, and they are all sold out, it will appear to be sold out. When in reality there are many buildings just not being used.

thank you for this explanation because ive always wondered how they can say attendance is down and then i call and the rooms are full.

princess_dboo

I heard from a CM who plays characters that Disney is having a hiring freeze due to the economy. Is this true?

I had planned to save up my money to move to Orlando and audition by the end of the year? I'm in a very small town in Brunswick, hate my job, and hate my life here, and I've dreamt of working at Disney since childhood. I know it isn't as fun as being a guest, but I still think it would be wonderful to work around children all day.

Does anyone have any suggestions, advice about moving or auditioning, or truth about the rumor I heard?

I am desperate to move on with my life, and I need all the help I can get.

~D

bugsbunny

Realignment? what a crock!

Taking people and moving them around to other positions or "shuffling the deck" is stupidity. Its akin to having four flats on your car and the solution being to simply rotate the tires and then continue driving.

And I just got back from a 4 day weekend at WDW. While the hotels themselves just don't seem as crowded as they normally would, the locals must have been out in full force at the parks.

I was at Epcot on Saturday and it was packed. The normal 50-60+ minute wait times for TT, MS, and Soarin were in place. And Sunday I was at MK, which was almost empty until 11am. I had wait times of 5 minutes for most rides and then it would seem the flood gates opened. Just like that, wait times for IASW jumped to 40 minutes and Peter Pan was 60 minutes. yet I was able to simply walk into Philharmagic with no wait and choice seating. All the Mountains were 45+ minute waits with Space up to 70 when I checked it late afternoon.

So if WDW is hurting for visitors, I simply did not see it at the parks over the weekend.

DisneyJoe

I heard from a CM who plays characters that Disney is having a hiring freeze due to the economy. Is this true?

I read something recently, I'll try and find the source, that says this is false.

Here it is from February 21 http://thedisneyblog.com/2009/02/21/not-all-bad-news-at-walt-disney-world/

"A union leader said the Disney Casting Center continues to hire and there’s been no word of a hiring freeze. That leads him to believe the layoffs are truly a consolidation and he’s hopeful the rank and file workers will keep their jobs."

WDW1974

Yeah, no kidding. The main bulk of the Al Lutz article dealt with the layoffs and what it means for the parks, but the stuff about Lasseter staying overnight in Disneyland was fascinating. And funny. :lol:

I didn't find it funny.

I found it telling and thought-provoking ...

It showed what anyone who knows John even casually will tell you ... he's just a big fanboi at heart. But one who, because of his age, gets what DL is supposed to be about.

Kinda like why he had a 'small' issue with Princess merchandise in Frontierland, yet no western items ...

He cares. And that's a very good thing.

Now ... if we could just get him into Cindy's suite on a regular basis the MK might start looking better!

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

WDW1974

I believe that is accurate ... and, if so, it can only be a good thing for WDW with its pathetic, tired slate of parades and entertainment.

I'd love a flow chart to see exactly who is responsible for what now and who reports to whom.

Should be interesting.

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

tirian

It showed what anyone who knows John even casually will tell you ... he's just a big fanboi at heart.

Now ... if we could just get him into Cindy's suite on a regular basis the MK might start looking better!

~Pass the Pixie Dust~

My thoughts exactly. You know my opinion here: I like Lasseter, but I wish he'd put more effort into getting certain execs replaced and making sure that ALL Disney-owned parks—not just his old haunt DL—are operating at 100% Disney quality.

TinkRBell427

As Far as I know they are not laying off any regular Cast Members, exceping Seasonal ones. Not all seasonal ones but I know they were trying to trim the fat with people who haven't been working as much as they should. As they should.

I'm not sure why they would lay off seasonal cast members. We don't get paid unless we work. We work when they have the shifts, so laying off seasonal cm's would be somewhat pointless? :shrug:

As far as managers ringing up guests, my area totally does that. I mean they try to get other cm's in there before they need to come over, but they do it all the time. I know this has already been said, but I thought I would add my own personal experience in there.

raven

They are not calling it a freeze. You can still go to the Casting Center and put in your application and speak with a recruiter but they are just fully staffed at this time.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
They are not calling it a freeze. You can still go to the Casting Center and put in your application and speak with a recruiter but they are just fully staffed at this time.
gotta love semantics.

alecshawn

layoffs happen, thats life.
BUT, from what i have heard, these layoffs were needed whether the economy is in a slowdown or not.
The reorganization will be a good thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom