WDW Laying off Cast Members

harryk

Original Poster
Heard on the news yesterday that Cast Members were being laid off at WDW due to low park attendance. If this is the case, why is it so difficult to get reservations at the various hotels? Rooms not available even when you are willing to change your vacation dates? Resorts fully booked when called. Something is not adding up. Is this a cost reduction move using the economy as an excuse or has attendance really dropped so that WDW does not need so many cast members? I guess that I should have no problems when I call to make reservations for dinners the end of this year.

nanna

Resorts close part of their buildings... so if POP has 3 buildings being used, and they are all sold out, it will appear to be sold out. When in reality there are many buildings just not being used.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Heard on the news yesterday that Cast Members were being laid off at WDW due to low park attendance. If this is the case, why is it so difficult to get reservations at the various hotels? Rooms not available even when you are willing to change your vacation dates? Resorts fully booked when called. Something is not adding up. Is this a cost reduction move using the economy as an excuse or has attendance really dropped so that WDW does not need so many cast members? I guess that I should have no problems when I call to make reservations for dinners the end of this year.

Upper/middle management cast are being let go,(several threads going on this already) not front line cast.

I've not heard anything about front line Cast Members. :shrug:

GothMickey

I have a CM friend who said no CMs were laid off. Unless things change today, only upper and middle management were let go.

raven

Nope. No regular CMs are being laid off right now, it's all in management. Personally I think there are way too many managers around doing absolutely very little or nothing important that it would be good to restructure the system.

We have 7 managers over the area that I am in and there are 3 there each shift. 2 of them have nothing to do except ride around on their Segway all night and sneak around corners trying to catch CMs doing things they aren't supposed to be doing. You can laugh but it's true. :rolleyes:

kennygman

I tend to think of it as a re-alignment that companies do every few years to cut costs. They fire middle management and promote someone in the ranks to their position. They give the person more responsibility and less pay than the previous middle manager and it increases profitability statements for investors.

tirian

Nope. No regular CMs are being laid off right now, it's all in management. Personally I think there are way too many managers around doing absolutely very little or nothing important that it would be good to restructure the system.

We have 7 managers over the area that I am in and there are 3 there each shift. 2 of them have nothing to do except ride around on their Segway all night and sneak around corners trying to catch CMs doing things they aren't supposed to be doing. You can laugh but it's true.
:rolleyes:

You're absolutely right. WDW is overstuffed.

SirGoofy

We have 7 managers over the area that I am in and there are 3 there each shift. 2 of them have nothing to do except ride around on their Segway all night and sneak around corners trying to catch CMs doing things they aren't supposed to be doing. You can laugh but it's true. :rolleyes:

Oh yea. All too true.

Tip Top Club

As Far as I know they are not laying off any regular Cast Members, exceping Seasonal ones. Not all seasonal ones but I know they were trying to trim the fat with people who haven't been working as much as they should. As they should.

goodtimes5286

Why dont they cut out all of the managers doing nothing, and take some of that excess and transfer it into CM salaries. Instead of promoting a CM to manager when they've worked for a while or do a good job, just raise there pay per hour, most would be more then happy to get more pay for less responsibility because they do a better job (at there job) then the next person. Also it'll give CM's more insentive (sp?) to make disney more magical making EVERYONE more happy

and also if Disney is "sold out" b/c they only use certain buildings, wouldnt you think once they hit 90% occupancy they should open up another building, even if it was for a limited time? I mean the building sitting on there property isnt costing them any money, the best are in the rooms, if they can fill those rooms for an amount over $20-22 (how much it costs a hotel per room each night w/ water, soap, shampoo, labor, towels, etc), they make a profit. Geeze bussiness 101 over here, it might sounds great to hear 'sold out', but in reality that PR for disney is a NIGHTMARE when the public hears the general 'sold out' but then in the same breath they hear disney saying they're in trouble

jakeman

Why dont they cut out all of the managers doing nothing, and take some of that excess and transfer it into CM salaries. Instead of promoting a CM to manager when they've worked for a while or do a good job, just raise there pay per hour, most would be more then happy to get more pay for less responsibility because they do a better job (at there job) then the next person. Also it'll give CM's more insentive (sp?) to make disney more magical making EVERYONE more happy
Because managers don't make that much more than hourly CMs.

and also if Disney is "sold out" b/c they only use certain buildings, wouldnt you think once they hit 90% occupancy they should open up another building, even if it was for a limited time? I mean the building sitting on there property isnt costing them any money, the best are in the rooms, if they can fill those rooms for an amount over $20-22 (how much it costs a hotel per room each night w/ water, soap, shampoo, labor, towels, etc), they make a profit. Geeze bussiness 101 over here, it might sounds great to hear 'sold out', but in reality that PR for disney is a NIGHTMARE when the public hears the general 'sold out' but then in the same breath they hear disney saying they're in trouble
Has anyone confirmed that buildings in hotels have been shuttered?

devoy1701

maybe you need to rethink your idea of business 101. People shouldn't EVER get paid more for less responsibility. Most park operation CMs are doing bottom of the line tasks that require little to no skill...therefore their pay should be at the low end of the scale. Money shouldn't be treated as an incentive to get people to perform better. People should perform better in hopes to receive a REWARD of more money. If a CM cannot perform the bare minimum of what the job description requires (ie: making Disney as magical as possible for everyone), maybe they too should be cut. Not just the excess on unneeded Manager positions.

btw...managers who do "nothing" do eventually get cut...as we're seeing now...

Costs alot more than that if people keep their AC in the room down on 60* and leave it that low when they leave for the parks...Also factor in all of the other Electricity an occupied room uses. Then factor in the costs of staffing those extra buildings.... Business 101...

mcjaco

Posting on public Forum complaining about your manager(s), is one way to find yourself looking for work. :lookaroun

wdwmemories

I am sorry to hear about this - anytime somebody looses their job these days it is especially difficult, no matter this history.
But I understand that companies are in business to create cash...

jt04

I could care less...I have told my managers to their faces that they were lazy and that I did more work then they did for less money. They deserve a little scare for their jobs every now and then just like the little guy has.

Ummm, probably not a good way to establish good professional references for the future.:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom