WDW expansion and new attractions announcement - what do you think?

What is your opinion of today's expansion announcements?

• LOVE IT! This is exactly what was needed.

Votes: 170 50.3%
  • GOOD. Step in the right direction.

Votes: 139 41.1%
  • SO-SO. Not overly impressed.

Votes: 23 6.8%
  • UGH. Not good enough, I expected more.

Votes: 6 1.8%

• Total voters

_Scar

Dinosaur is a great attraction, no doubt. I enjoy riding it and think it is a worthy addition to DAK. I would even venture to say that it is a DAK classic.

That said, it lacks an immersive quality that HM, SSE, GMR, Pirates, or even Splash has. I would, personally, like to see a dark ride on that type of scale at DAK.

ITA, but I also think it is immersive. I think they should spend a crap ton on a Lion King dark ride and have that be the signature attraction for the park. It'd be perfect.

Studios Fan

ITA, but I also think it is immersive. I think they should spend a crap ton on a Lion King dark ride and have that be the signature attraction for the park. It'd be perfect.

Good idea. The park could use a younger-skewing dark ride, as I'm sure Dinosaur can be intense for some of the kids.

FigmentJedi

Fantasyland redo looks gorgeous, Star Tours 2 I want to see more of.
But today still looses points for lacking the one thing that would have compensated for those first two being leaked: that possible Imagination redo.
Great, but not YES, YES inducing.

jt04

I really think one of the great results of this area will just be the amazing atmosphere it will provide just to walk around in. And can you imagine it with all the Holiday decorations every year and with the Castle Lights???

Disney has to roll out the popcorn and chestnut and hot choclate and pine tree smells. Carolers and lights everywhere. Might as well build all the infrastructure into the new buildings and trees for the lights, snow machines, music etc. to save the trouble of adding them later. You are going to need reservations to get in the place in December. Disney you have outdone yourselves! Incredible.

:xmas:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Happy, glad, but a little underwhelmed. The biggest expansion in park history for one new attraction? Yes, the MK needs it, yes, Fland needs it, but the R&D aspect v engineering costs v end product is a little wanting. The site used to have an attraction on it... the balance will be restored but shouldn`t something that was jazzed up as a monumental announcement offer more? Fland does need this rich landscaping (hopefully to the existing areas too) but we have one E Ticket to replace a lost one, a massive food facility to take more money and a whole series of meeting areas all ripe to offer all the little extras kids will surely wantat at a cost. It`s a win win situation for TDO and the day guest, and I`m happy for that, but compared to say Tomorrowlands 1974/5 expansion - the parks current biggest project - it is a little underwhelming with the size of plot and possibilities they had.

jonnyc

Well I suppose I am a little underwhelmed but that is mainly because there are so many other rumoured things i'd rather have. But looking on the plus side hopefully this will absorb some of the crowds and the concept art does look great.

I also hope this will create a big refurb/addition war between Universal and WDW with the ultimate winner being us! :sohappy:

Carolwood

I like it all, but I'm not a big Fantasyland kind of guy, which is what most of this is about.
Try to keep an open mind about what I'm going to say:
Disney movies are often "kid's movies."
Pixar movies are often "family movies."
Fantasyland is a "kid's park."
I want something that is more of a "family park." No, I'm not saying it should be a bunch of Pixar stuff, I'm just using that as a comparison.
And this is all my personal opinion. I love the classics because they're what I grew up with. This new stuff is just, in my eyes, little girl stuff.

Ditto on what you said.

Carolwood

Happy, glad, but a little underwhelmed. The biggest expansion in park history for one new attraction? Yes, the MK needs it, yes, Fland needs it, but the R&D aspect v engineering costs v end product is a little wanting. The site used to have an attraction on it... the balance will be restored but shouldn`t something that was jazzed up as a monumental announcement offer more? Fland does need this rich landscaping (hopefully to the existing areas too) but we have one E Ticket to replace a lost one, a massive food facility to take more money and a whole series of meeting areas all ripe to offer all the little extras kids will surely wantat at a cost. It`s a win win situation for TDO and the day guest, and I`m happy for that, but compared to say Tomorrowlands 1974/5 expansion - the parks current biggest project - it is a little underwhelming with the size of plot and possibilities they had.

You hit the nail on the head Marni!

SirGoofy

Watch out , Martin. No one is allowed to be underwhelmed with this announcement!

:lol:

raven

It's exactly what MK needs: a large FL to even out the crowds. We've been waiting for some money to be spent in WDW and now we are going to see it.

I also find it rather coincidental that Universal is having the press out today (9/15/09) to take a look around the new Harry Potter area. They quikly wanted to pull a press event together due to some other big announcement made by a park down the road steeling their thunder. :lol: The press is supposed to view the pylons and dirt piles for the new land and get a "hint" of what it's supposed to be like...even though Universal has been pressured by the public and press about it's exact opening date which they can't answer. Like Rip Ride Rocket all we know is that it will be "coming soon" for a very long time.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
It's exactly what MK needs: a large FL to even out the crowds. We've been waiting for some money to be spent in WDW and now we are going to see it.

I also find it rather coincidental that Universal is having the press out today (9/15/09) to take a look around the new Harry Potter area. They quikly wanted to pull a press event together due to some other big announcement made by a park down the road steeling their thunder. :lol: The press is supposed to view the pylons and dirt piles for the new land and get a "hint" of what it's supposed to be like...even though Universal has been pressured by the public and press about it's exact opening date which they can't answer. Like Rip Ride Rocket all we know is that it will be "coming soon" for a very long time.

Why would that bother you? Going by your posts your hardly likely to visit the parks anyway. Or Is Universal part of your investment portfolio?

DisneyMusician2

They could have done more with this area of land, but the extra TS location was badly needed in the MK in my opinion, and I welcome the addition of another restaurant to the parks.

I understand it is only one e-ticket, but it is the exterior theming and landscaping redo that I am most excited about. This should hopefully transport you to another place much more than the medieval carnival atmosphere did rather ineffectively.

You might actually feel like you are stepping into a land rather than a conglomeration of weird buildings.

I don't know how else they were supposed to replace the meet and greet space, but I am open to hearing other ideas and opinions on how to better structure a meet and greet.

raven

Why would that bother you? Going by your posts your hardly likely to visit the parks anyway. Or Is Universal part of your investment portfolio?

Doesn't bother me one bit. A bunch of us saw it on the news this morning and we all thought it's funny that they are desparately trying to get guests attention by having an impromptu press event basically to get people to forget about the recent Disney announcement. The one station I watched were interviewing tourists and they said they were dissapointed that Universal didn't have an openning date for it even though it's next year.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Doesn't bother me one bit. A bunch of us saw it on the news this morning and we all thought it's funny that they are desparately trying to get guests attention by having an impromptu press event basically to get people to forget about the recent Disney announcement. The one station I watched were interviewing tourists and they said they were dissapointed that Universal didn't have an openning date for it even though it's next year.

By extending that logic couldnt it be argued that Disney announced its attractions as a result of Potter Land?

I know looking at sites here, more people are interested in Potter than Princess Meet n Greet land, but then its not fan sites Im looking at.

I just find the concept of supporting a brand as if it were a sports team an alien concept. but then I visit all of central Floridas attractions. :shrug:

raven

By extending that logic couldnt it be argued that Disney announced its attractions as a result of Potter Land?

I know looking at sites here, more people are interested in Potter than Princess Meet n Greet land, but then its not fan sites Im looking at.

I just find the concept of supporting a brand as if it were a sports team an alien concept. but then I visit all of central Floridas attractions. :shrug:

The Fantasyland addition has been in developement for quite some time now. Most areas that are that large take upwards of 8-10 years to develope. So with the added rumor that construction walls are to be going up in November I think they probably waited until the last moment to announce it before people would start wondering what's going on behind the wall (if they do go up). But I also visit the other Florida theme parks (both Orlando and Tampa) and I have enjoyed most of them. IOA has some great theming and I think HP will be a great addition to the park. Disney will always be a favorite of mine because DL was the first park I visited when I was a kid and I grew up on their movies. Sea World, Universal and Busch brands weren't around that much in the Mid West growing up. It just happened by default I guess.

The Conundrum

My opinion - This annihilates Universal's addition.

Are you kidding me?

At least HP land will have real rides to go on and an interactive element that will be fun for kids AND adults. Fantasyland is going to become a giant meet & greet land for little girls.

The new DCA stuff in California, the larger Muppets presence for the parks, as well as Star Tours 2 rocks however :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom