WDW expansion and new attractions announcement - what do you think?

What is your opinion of today's expansion announcements?

• LOVE IT! This is exactly what was needed.

Votes: 170 50.3%
  • GOOD. Step in the right direction.

Votes: 139 41.1%
  • SO-SO. Not overly impressed.

Votes: 23 6.8%
  • UGH. Not good enough, I expected more.

Votes: 6 1.8%

• Total voters

DisneyMusician2

I am surprised that more is not being made of Disney's growing commitment to using the Muppets, which is LONG overdue.

A remastering of Muppets 3D will be awesome, as I still feel it is one of the best all-time attractions in the parks.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I am surprised that more is not being made of Disney's growing commitment to using the Muppets, which is LONG overdue.

A remastering of Muppets 3D will be awesome, as I still feel it is one of the best all-time attractions in the parks.

Probably because folk like me are unsure what was actually announced and what it means in reality

MousDad

I'm going on the record saying I'm happy with the FL expansion / ST II plans.

Even if I personally only really love 1 of the new FL attractions, I think it will be adding a kind of thematic mastery to FL that will help MK become, or at least be on the road to becoming, the crown jewel it should be.

Depending somewhat on how the TL debacle drains out, the MK arguments should in the future be less "is MK the most stale MK style park" and more "is MK the best MK style park."

The only things that would be dissapointing to me, in all this, are 1) if half of it never gets built, 2) if the finished product falls way short of the concept art, or 3) if they don't touch Epcot in the next 4 years.

Princess Kitty

My reaction? I am completely overwhelmed!! :sohappy:

1) We're getting an e-ticket!!! Yes, they save money by building Mermaid in 2 places, and it's a tad bit disappointing not to have something unique to WDW. But, we're getting an e-ticket!!! And, we're getting a gorgeous facade (Eric's castle, waterways, etc.) instead of DCA's Victorian glass building.

2) We're getting a restaurant which Magic Kingdom desperately needs! It's almost impossible to get reservations during Free Dining. Cindy's is always booked months in advance, and I'm guessing that they removed character dining from Liberty Tree just to get diners through faster and serve more customers. The potential for this restaurant is wonderful: detailed castle architecture, animated castle objects (it looks like Lumiere will be working the room like Remy does at Chefs de France), or maybe even a change from the "old" cursed castle to the "new" beauty-filled castle (in a way like they do at the Animator's Palate). I'm not going to hold my breath hoping for an animatronic "Be Our Guest" number, but you never know.

3) We're getting another Dumbo ride! As an adult, I've always felt guilty about riding Dumbo and making the kids (in one of the longest waits in the park) wait longer. So, maybe now I can actually ride it! And, we're not getting a typical queue in which to wait 45 minutes in line with screaming kids and tired adults. My best hope is that I could be check in, get a pager, and amuse myself until it's my turn to ride.

4) We're getting more room! Dumbo seems to act like a magnet, making Fantasyland one of the most crowded areas in the park. It would be difficult to get one more e-ticket and no more floor space.

5) We're getting girly stuff! Magic Kingdom has few rides/attractions/etc. that are geared towards girls: Small World (dolls), Snow White (princess theme), Ariel's Grotto, Belle's Garden, Cindy's/Bibbity Boutique, Minnie's House, Princess/Tink Meet & Greet, Country Bears? (if you think singing teddy bears?). Did I miss anything?

6) We're getting more meets & greets! From the looks of things, these won't be the ordinary "wait in line, say hi, and get a picture" events. We've got a mix of show (Cinderella transforms from servant into a fairy princess) and activity (making birthday cards with Aurora). I am wondering what happened to Snow White. (Maybe they cut the budget, or maybe she's just shy?) And, if you don't like meets & greets, at least you can be happy that they swallow up the little girls that do like them!

7) We're getting immersed! Yes, we're losing Toontown Fair, but the theming wasn't all that great - too cartoonish, not inventive enough. (It looked like the theming for DL's Toontown was much better.) I'm so glad they're keeping Barnstormer, and I'm hoping for new theming for it. Mickey and Minnie can move back to town (Main Street). The concept art for the new Fantasyland looks absolutely wonderful! As another poster said, it looks like World Showcase with lots of nooks and crannies.

tirian

My reaction? I am completely overwhelmed!! :sohappy:

1) We're getting an e-ticket!!! Yes, they save money by building Mermaid in 2 places, and it's a tad bit disappointing not to have something unique to WDW. But, we're getting an e-ticket!!! And, we're getting a gorgeous facade (Eric's castle, waterways, etc.) instead of DCA's Victorian glass building.

I'm not directing this at you, Princess Kitty, but I've noticed a lot of people lament the fact this is a clone. I think they've forgotten that DL's and WDW's HM props were built at the same time to save money, making the HM the oldest attraction at WDW.

Ironically, WDW received the better attraction in that case, too. ;)

You're right; our façade will be much prettier than DCA's. That makes three better queues than the West Coast Clones— Toy Story, Nemo, and TLM. :D (Okay, so Nemo isn't a clone; but we still have a prettier show building.)

SirGoofy

Ironically, WDW received the better attraction in that case, too. ;)

You're right; our façade will be much prettier than DCA's. That makes three better queues than the West Coast Clones— Toy Story, Nemo, and TLM. :D (Okay, so Nemo isn't a clone; but we still have a prettier show building.)

MK's Splash is better as well.:D

Lucky

You can put together a list of little advantages that DL has over WDW. But those are insignificant compared to 4 disadvantages for DL.

1. No Animal Kingdom
2. No World Showcase
3. far fewer on-site resorts
4. No "World": just a theme park hemmed in by a giant ugly metropolis

Figment632

You can put together a list of little advantages that DL has over WDW. But those are insignificant compared to 4 disadvantages for DL.

1. No Animal Kingdom
2. No World Showcase
3. far fewer on-site resorts
4. No "World": just a theme park hemmed in by a giant ugly metropolis

I was just there in may and I dont know the last time you were there but this doesnt matter anymore.

If you are staying in a Disney Hotel they bought enough land, also by having to walk through DTD to gen in to the parks you wouldnt even know your in a city. Its like a nice small resort now.

RealHawker

As predicted, underwhelmed.

Delighted at the two proper attractions, especially Star Tours,
totaly non plussed by the eye candy and character meet n greets and kiddy rides. Just feel it confirms to me that Disney is primarily concerned with young families. Also suspect that maintenance costs of a character meet n greet are a lot less than a real attraction.

Also aware that glossy drawings may be hee haw like whats built

45/100.

Isn't that their bread and butter - young families? I know they sometimes throw their advertising at Grandma and Grandpa, but most visuals show the typical mother father 4 y.o and 7 y.o family.

I am not 100% thrilled myself though, seems heavily favored towards girls, with all the princess stuff. But it might be nice that I don't have to go to a character breakfast to see all the princess stuff that my daughter wants to see. The theming looks good though. absolutely hate the circus theme though for a big Dumbo area - not sure how that belongs at all.

WDW-Crazy

Here are my thoughts on this whole Fantasyland expansion.

Toontown needs to be left as is. That is my personal opinion. I think they should've condensed the "fantasy forest" area to the current Ariel's Grotto and 20,000 Leagues area. Pixie Hollow could've been condensed in there somehow. Everytime I go back to Toontown, I reflect to my very first trip in 1989 when that area was brand spank'n new as Mickey's Birthdayland. I'm sure if the tents are getting up in age, they could be removed for further expansion of Toontown, wedged in between the current Toontown and the expanded Fantasyland (would also provide another access into Fantasyland when the expansion is complete). Barnstormer just also wouldn't seem right as something else other than its current theme.

Dumbo should be left in tact. Some renovations could be made to that area (and maybe the other spinner if needed) in which the circus theme would still be applied. Maybe I'm just looking at that area in a whole different perspective than what the Imagineers are envisioning. Just seems like it would be emptier there with a wall past the Carousel dividing the two sections. Maybe it will just look different when it's officially completed.

I think everything else seems excellent. I like the idea of a Beauty and the Beast table service restaurant, something that needs to be added more into the park. I guess counter service can get old after awhile if you're looking to sit down and take a break for awhile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom