News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

MrPromey

Probably designed after the 1986 Cleveland "Balloonfest" ecological disaster

Dude, it's funny* to think that was a common thing.

Look at old Disney videos of park openings and other celebrations where they'd release balloons in mass, too. (not in those kind of numbers, obviously)

I live in Florida, near-walking distance from the beach and my first year in elementary school we did a balloon release where there were tags attached with plastic ribbon with our first name and grade on postage paid cards. The point was for strangers to write on the card where they found the tags and mail them back to the school.

We were literally releasing non-degradable garbage into the air as part of an annual school project.

Unsurprisingly, most tags from my class never made it back.

I have no idea how many years they'd been doing this but the very next year, it was canceled permanently because someone apparently discovered popped balloons and plastic ribbon aren't good for sea turtles and being right on the water, that's where a lot of these were probably going - go figure.

In retrospect, as an adult I'm glad they ended it but as a little kid, I sure didn't understand.

What I don't get is how any of that seemed like a good idea to adults at the time.

*but also, very much not funny

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
downton-abbey-maggie-smith.gif
Exactly. I can't easily drink something with ice without a straw. Except an Old Fashioned - but that is meant to be sipped slowly. A soft drink is usually drunk more rapidly as a thirst quencher.

BTW, I grew up using paper straws, so you really did have to drink quickly before the straw got soggy. I was so happy when plastic straws came along. If you look up the history of straws you will discover that 1. They have been around for eons 2. The plastic ones were invented right after the lids with an "x" for the straw came along. The paper ones kept collapsing rather than going through.

MrPromey

Exactly. I can't easily drink something with ice without a straw. Except an Old Fashioned - but that is meant to be sipped slowly. A soft drink is usually drunk more rapidly as a thirst quencher.

BTW, I grew up using paper straws, so you really did have to drink quickly before the straw got soggy. I was so happy when plastic straws came along. If you look up the history of straws you will discover that 1. They have been around for eons 2. The plastic ones were invented right after the lids with an "x" for the straw came along. The paper ones kept collapsing rather than going through.
Morrison's Cafeteria - I loved picking everything out as a little kid, especially at the end of the line when we got to the dessert.

The one thing I always hated was that red and white candy-striped straw. One little bend and it stopped working and even if you babied them, they never lasted the whole meal.

I still live with the memory of that repeated trauma, even to this day. 😞

... maybe that's why I seem so triggered about the subject of straws in general.

ParentsOf4

Did everyone miss the part that you can still ask for a lid at the counter and they will give you one?
1692399233490.png

Or, for $4.29 a cup, you can treat me like an adult who is capable of deciding on my own whether or not I need a straw without having to jump back in line when I realize I forgot to ask the Cast Member for one. Alternatively, I'm sure other Guests just love when I cut in front of them so I can ask for a straw.

CuteAsMinnie

As long as some are available. I always use a straw in any place that isn't home. I don't know who the last person was to touch the edge of the cup or the cup covers or where they had been previous to stocking the locations. Straws are the only thing that come wrapped (in most places). You'd think that after the three year pandemic people would be a little more cautious about what touches their mouth.
EXACTLY!! And if dear CM touches anything but the outer rim of the lid, I’ll ask nicely for another. It’s ok to call me crazy

I think Disney should also do away with paper cups, plates and utensils and serve QS on dinnerware also.

It’ll be fun to watch Starbucks folks drink their whipped cream drinks without a lid nor a straw! 😂😋

Last edited:

KeithVH

Morrison's Cafeteria - I loved picking everything out as a little kid, especially at the end of the line when we got to the dessert.

The one thing I always hated was that red and white candy-striped straw. One little bend and it stopped working and even if you babied them, they never lasted the whole meal.

I still live with the memory of that repeated trauma, even to this day. 😞

... maybe that's why I seem so triggered about the subject of straws in general.
Ah, the old days. Some people will just never understand how real the struggle was . . .

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So now that Dis has solved that problem and helped save the world…. Are they going to next address the methane from the tons of animal waste at AK that’s contributing to global warming? There’s lots of animals on property contributing to the destruction of our world. Disney???
The burgers they serve are the bigger problem there

…it might be worth it if they were “good burgers”…but alas no

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom