News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

DisneyFanatic12

I’ve noticed that almost all cup dispensers and lid stacks (with the exception of Contempo Cafe) have been moved behind the cash register. Before, Beach Club Marketplace had piles of cups and lids sitting out for guests to get cups of water. Now, you have to go up to the cash register to ask for a water cup. Polynesian used to have stacks of cups and lids, as well as a straw dispenser, on their Mobile Order table. Now, they are kept behind the table for Cast Members to dispense.

GabeP

At a recent visit to DL, I ordered a milkshake at Flo's, in which the paper straw quickly disintegrated (it was a bulky one to boot). I went through 3 of them to finish the milkshake, so I'd argue I generated more waste than if I'd been given a plastic straw at the outset.

rd805

Love this -- we all need to focus on our environment and this little bit can only help. It takes nothing to travel with a reusable straw, especially now knowing you'd need one at the World! Throw it in your bag, with your magic band, extra power source, etc.

Dranth

At a recent visit to DL, I ordered a milkshake at Flo's, in which the paper straw quickly disintegrated (it was a bulky one to boot). I went through 3 of them to finish the milkshake, so I'd argue I generated more waste than if I'd been given a plastic straw at the outset.
Not a fan of the paper straws but it isn’t that straight forward. Those 3 paper straws will fully decompose in a few months and no longer be taking up any space while the plastic straw will sit in a landfill for well over a hundred years.

TheMaxRebo

Not a fan of paper stars but having to ask seems pretty normal ... Used to at like everywhere asking for straws, lids, napkins, etc

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
These are the type of decisions that really make me resent and drop my support for environmental causes.

Okay, I'm feeling irate now thanks to some real life issues and this news isn't helping. Probably time to step off the forum for a bit today before I get in trouble. 😄

Goofyernmost

As long as some are available. I always use a straw in any place that isn't home. I don't know who the last person was to touch the edge of the cup or the cup covers or where they had been previous to stocking the locations. Straws are the only thing that come wrapped (in most places). You'd think that after the three year pandemic people would be a little more cautious about what touches their mouth.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Families spend thousands on a trip to WDW

Disney switches to paper straws which everyone basically hates

Prices continue to go up

Now Disney makes it harder to even get a paper straw.

Don’t tell me this is to help the environment either. The failed Harmoninous barges and Spectromagic floats are probably taking up more room in the landfill than all past Disney plastic straws and lids

Disstevefan1

Families spend thousands on a trip to WDW

Disney switches to paper straws which everyone basically hates

Prices continue to go up

Now Disney makes it harder to even get a paper straw.

Don’t tell me this is to help the environment either. The failed Harmoninous barges and Spectromagic floats are probably taking up more room in the landfill than all past Disney plastic straws and lids
Does Disney sell reusable straws at the parks yet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom