News Walt Disney World to eliminate self-service paper straws and plastic lids

Splash4eva

In Britain, the British way surely is best. But when in the good ole’ U.S.A. we prefer ice, lots of it, and a straw. Some of us, tho still think the best water comes straight from the hose, and we’re still alive to tell the stories too!
😂🤣😉
Childhood summer memories almost always involve drinking from a hose!!! And it didnt make a difference who hose it was lol

MrPromey

As a tea-drinking Brit, iced tea is an abomination. 😉 I seriously don’t get the love for it.
As an ICED tea drinking 'merican, I think we first developed our appreciation for cold tea in a town called Boston back in December of 1776. 😏

In seriousness, we all know what goes in tea bags is the lowest grade of tea you can get. Most Americans have never even tasted a quality tea so that probably has something to do with it. I mean, our go-to hot beverage is coffee. I still don't understand anyone who drinks straight black coffee and says they like the taste.

_

Last edited:

MrPromey

In Britain, the British way surely is best. But when in the good ole’ U.S.A. we prefer ice, lots of it, and a straw. Some of us, tho still think the best water comes straight from the hose, and we’re still alive to tell the stories too!
😂🤣😉
Ah, the hose!

There was a certain special flavor to those first few sips, especially if it was a long hose and it had been a while since it had last been used - takes me back.

Crystal Light really should look into a flavor called "Plastic Pollution".

Last edited:

MrPromey

Apparently, even their balloons are magic...since in the real world, latex balloons take up to 4+ years to decompose. 🙄
Magic, you say? They'd have to be to know to return to those special composting locations after they've been sold.

I wonder, when we see one floating off into the distance, lost by a child, if that's where it's heading?

I bet the reason they sell the latex ones encased inside a mylar bubble, is to make them extra de-composable, too.

DisneyFanatic12

EXACTLY!! And if dear CM touches anything but the outer rim of the lid, I’ll ask nicely for another. It’s ok to call me crazy

I think Disney should also do away with paper cups, plates and utensils and serve QS on dinnerware also.

It’ll be fun to watch Starbucks folks drink their whipped cream drinks without a lid nor a straw! 😂😋
Starbucks are 3rd party, so it most likely won’t apply to them. They still use plastic cups after all!

Dinnerware is becoming more common at a lot of dining locations. If there’s a seating area indoors, that can be closely monitored, they have dinnerware quite a bit of the time. Takes a lot more infrastructure to be able to handle the dishes though, because every inch of most of those back rooms are used as either kitchen space or prep space. That can only really be a solution at places with plenty of room in the back.

LittleBuford

In seriousness, we all know what goes in tea bags is the lowest grade of tea you can get. Most Americans have never even tasted a quality tea so that probably has something to do with it. I mean, our go-to hot beverage is coffee. I still don't understand anyone who drinks straight black coffee and says they like the taste.
Most Brits use teabags, and not the posh kind. An ordinary, inexpensive British teabag will yield a perfectly delicious cup of tea.

The problem with hot “English Breakfast”-style tea in the US is twofold: it doesn’t always taste right (Lipton’s, though weak, is often the closest and best approximation), and the teabag is added to the water after it’s already begun to drop in temperature. For a proper cuppa, you need to pour freshly boiled water immediately over the teabag. You’ll never get the full flavour otherwise.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Most Brits use teabags, and not the posh kind. An ordinary, inexpensive British teabag will yield a perfectly delicious cup of tea.

The problem with hot “English Breakfast”-style tea in the US is twofold: it doesn’t always taste right (Lipton’s, though weak, is often the closest and best approximation), and the teabag is added to the water after it’s already begun to drop in temperature. For a proper cuppa, you need to poor freshly boiled water immediately over the teabag. You’ll never get the full flavour otherwise.
Good to know :)

I have a countertop kettle (they do make them with US plugs, believe it or not) so I feel like I’m on the right track!

CuteAsMinnie

Ah, the hose!

There was a certain special flavor to those first few sips, especially if it was a long hose and it had been a while since it had been used - takes me back.

Crystal Light really should look into a flavor called "Plastic Pollution".
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣🥰
Starbucks are 3rd party, so it most likely won’t apply to them. They still use plastic cups after all!

Dinnerware is becoming more common at a lot of dining locations. If there’s a seating area indoors, that can be closely monitored, they have dinnerware quite a bit of the time. Takes a lot more infrastructure to be able to handle the dishes though, because every inch of most of those back rooms are used as either kitchen space or prep space. That can only really be a solution at places with plenty of room in the back.
🤦🏼‍♀️

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
This reminds me of the last time they started this nonsense...and the same week started handing out branded Zip-loc bags at Splash Mountain (RIP) for you to put your valuables in so they wouldn't get wet.

Handing out plastic straws and lids that Disney paid for? Nope.

Handing out plastic bags that Zip-loc paid for? YEE-HAW!

Greenwashing virtue signaling to save a few bucks. Nothing more.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So Disney pumps how many guests through ToyStory a day? 20k? And manages to stock and clean plastic delicate glasses.

Why can't this company figure out a reusable cup solution?

Tha Realest

So Disney pumps how many guests through ToyStory a day? 20k? And manages to stock and clean plastic delicate glasses.

It’s a lack of will, and a lack of a desire to pay all those extra CMs to clean dishes throughout the day. So instead they offload the inconvenience on the “guests”

TheMaxRebo

Be nice if they even would allow people who buy the refillable mugs to refill them in the parks - even if an increased/extra charge

Tha Realest

They have a solution. They have a robust refillable mug offering all over the resorts. Their interest in protecting the environment stops when it comes to the loss of profits it would mean if they expanded that to the parks

celluloid

The amount of misinformation in this short thread is amazing.
Walt Disney World has one of the most efficient MRFs processing 30 tons of recyclables per day. This includes the soda and water bottles, compostable dining ware, and food waste.
Even latex balloons are composted. (takes about 4 months for them to degrade)
And always remember that a solution does not have to solve all problems. Some reduction is better than no reductions. Anything else is a logical fallacy.

Disney does not sell Latex balloons so much as they sell plastic surrounded ones and Mylar.

The issue is the balloons do not often get disposed so much as many get let loose, drifint right to wildlife. Sea Turtles and other animals have plenty of time to eat rubber or longer lasting plastic balloons that resemble a jellyfish like treat quick easily to them. The plastic ribbons tied to them is another issue altogether.

As far as reported MFR processing.
Custodial tries to dump a lot of recycle in the proper place, but without sorting,(a position that was once hourly stationed after collecting and on the work ethic of the CM when actually staffed when I was there in 2011) and that is not a typical position, a lot of it is just dumped down the AVAC or into the compactors for efficiency.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
They have a solution. They have a robust refillable mug offering all over the resorts. Their interest in protecting the environment stops when it comes to the loss of profits it would mean if they expanded that to the parks

I don't want guests carrying mugs around everywhere. I envision a simple cup system that can be reused. Charge deposits if you have to... track cups with RFID... if they were really about reducing waste, shift from landfill waste to energy and have a cup system they can wash and reuse.

celluloid

I don't want guests carrying mugs around everywhere. I envision a simple cup system that can be reused. Charge deposits if you have to... track cups with RFID... if they were really about reducing waste, shift from landfill waste to energy and have a cup system they can wash and reuse.
What about guests carrying a cup or two per group around everywhere bothers you?

Every other major theme park and Amusement Park with high attendance does this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom