Upcoming DHS closings ...

matt9112

I don't understand the concern with "the Hat". Unless they intend to use the space for something else, I say let it be. Why waste time and money on just removing something. When I go to HS, the Hat doesn't bother me, the fact that there's only about 4 or 5 good things to do there bothers me.

valid point....in the grand scheme of enjoying yourself the hat is the least problem in the park...hence why most people err most regular guests care not...(if they did im sure it would have been dealt with) however if you stand back for a moment it simply clutters the space it occupies a once grand open area is now narrow and winding around the hat....than there's arguments based around the fact it blocks the view of the theater and is unattractive....i don't buy in to either but than again i don't buy much.

footnote on your next visit observe all the theming everywhere around the hat...the colors and hues...the textures and shapes...than look at the hat.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I hope the hat removal is very low on the priority list. I would be happy to have it gone, but given the expense of having it removed, I'd rather see that money going towards attractions. There's supposedly $600M going to DHS, but if that budget is cut or costs balloon for something I'd rather the hat removal gets cut over a ride.

Just IMHO, I understand others will be of a different mind.
The budget for DHS (whatever the final figure) also includes park asthetics and infrastructure. As much as I'd like it to go all to new, quality attractions, its also earmarked for sparkle and paint.

HMF

Probably. To keep the blogging fanbois happy. But, also like the wand, I dare say we would know about it beforehand.
Well, They have been hinting at it quite a bit recently which also happened with the wand. At this point I would say just announce it unless they are saving it for the Park Makeover. I mean we have been waiting for over 10 years.

jed012788

Aesthetics are a crucial -- if not the single most important -- part of a theme park. Why has Epcot been spared the criticism that Hollywood Studios so often receives? It's certainly not because of attraction quality. I'd argue that the Studios has more worthwhile attractions than Epcot at this point.

Yet people still find a reason to praise Epcot, and that is because of its aesthetic qualities. Removing the hat would take what I consider to be the single best themed area in any Disney park -- Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards -- and make them practically perfect. That will go a long way in improving the perception of the park.

doctornick

The budget for DHS (whatever the final figure) also includes park asthetics and infrastructure. As much as I'd like it to go all to new, quality attractions, its also earmarked for sparkle and paint.

Sure. But new paint and cosmetic repairs are likely fairly cheap in the grand scheme of things. Removing the hat is going to be a big (read: expensive) undertaking. They money spent on that could be used on attractions and not be insignificant.

Again, I'd prefer to have the hat removed. But it's not my biggest concern. If leaving that allows for something to be build that actually increases/improves the "stuff to do" in the park, I'd prefer that option.

MerlinTheGoat

Is Lights Motors Action still a part of the closures for the current proposed DHS makeover? Wondering if anything has changed since the first rumbling of Cars Land were talked about here.

Fairybuzz

I always thought B and the B show was on its way out, the costumes looked a bit dirty and sun faded and the effects sometimes didnt work as well (what little there were), and although B&B will always be a classic, it was a show that was never really updated, and a leftover from the era where they made live shows that re-enacted movies like that in that broadway style manner.

I always thought the hat was annoyingly obstructing the great movie ride from being seen down the street.

Captain Neo

One thing im curious about. Everyone is so focused on the hat leaving but if the rumor about a rebranding of DHS are true would the chinese theather facade remain? Would the original entry layout stay the same with the same old hollywood theme? I need to start asking around...

aladdin2007

One thing im curious about. Everyone is so focused on the hat leaving but if the rumor about a rebranding of DHS are true would the chinese theather facade remain? Would the original entry layout stay the same with the same old hollywood theme? I need to start asking around...

There was a rumor awhile back that there were plans to change it into a new Carthay Circle theater front, but I hope the chinese theater remains as it could be beautiful again if that hat and even worse stage were to go.

FLYbyNITE

Aesthetics are a crucial -- if not the single most important -- part of a theme park. Why has Epcot been spared the criticism that Hollywood Studios so often receives? It's certainly not because of attraction quality. I'd argue that the Studios has more worthwhile attractions than Epcot at this point.

Yet people still find a reason to praise Epcot, and that is because of its aesthetic qualities. Removing the hat would take what I consider to be the single best themed area in any Disney park -- Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards -- and make them practically perfect. That will go a long way in improving the perception of the park.

I am sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with this. Yes, I’d prefer a park that looks nice and is finely maintained but it’s “aesthetic” appearance is not what drives it’s success. Maybe as adult’s we appreciate it more, but my kids have never asked to stop and take in the aesthetics’ when I ask them what they want to do next.

If aesthetics were the number one reason for a successful theme park, than Legoland would still be Cyprus Gardens, and Seaworld would not be cluttered with Roller Coasters. Do you really think that Universal Studios Florida has any aesthetic properties at all?

The reason Epcot is so praised is because it is more unique than any other park. The World Show case has a tremendous appeal for adults and young adults. If it did not have the “Ellen ride” and Soarin’, I couldn’t drag my daughter there.

I think that we sometimes forget that Disney’s main appeal is meant towards children, and the reason I spend over $10,000 a year to come to Disney is to make them happy. While I would prefer to go to Europe or take a cruise with my vacation, I choose this because we ALL enjoy it, and none of us are going to worry about what kind of view we have or where the hat is placed.

Hollywood Studios needs new attractions and that is the bottom line. If they so desperately feel that they need to remove the hat, or come up with a new icon. Than build a big mountain in the back (where Catastrophe Canyon is) put a replica of the Hollywood Sign on top, with Mouse Ears on the O’s, and stick a nice dark coaster (preferably Monster’s Inc.) inside and that should make everyone happy!!!!!

FLYbyNITE

footnote on your next visit observe all the theming everywhere around the hat...the colors and hues...the textures and shapes...than look at the hat.

I will be there next month, I will make a point of it to do what you mention above. I will also check out Hollywood and Sunset Boulevards (in conection with the "hat") to try and understand what Jed012788 see's also.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with this. Yes, I’d prefer a park that looks nice and is finely maintained but it’s “aesthetic” appearance is not what drives it’s success. Maybe as adult’s we appreciate it more, but my kids have never asked to stop and take in the aesthetics’ when I ask them what they want to do next.

If aesthetics were the number one reason for a successful theme park, than Legoland would still be Cyprus Gardens, and Seaworld would not be cluttered with Roller Coasters. Do you really think that Universal Studios Florida has any aesthetic properties at all?

The reason Epcot is so praised is because it is more unique than any other park. The World Show case has a tremendous appeal for adults and young adults. If it did not have the “Ellen ride” and Soarin’, I couldn’t drag my daughter there.

I think that we sometimes forget that Disney’s main appeal is meant towards children, and the reason I spend over $10,000 a year to come to Disney is to make them happy. While I would prefer to go to Europe or take a cruise with my vacation, I choose this because we ALL enjoy it, and none of us are going to worry about what kind of view we have or where the hat is placed.

Hollywood Studios needs new attractions and that is the bottom line. If they so desperately feel that they need to remove the hat, or come up with a new icon. Than build a big mountain in the back (where Catastrophe Canyon is) put a replica of the Hollywood Sign on top, with Mouse Ears on the O’s, and stick a nice dark coaster (preferably Monster’s Inc.) inside and that should make everyone happy!!!!!

Sorry to your children's aesthetic sensibilities, but they're not a factor in how parks are designed.

The hat was placed there for an 18-month marketing event in 2001-02. That's it. And I am not going to argue why putting it there destroys the whole sense of place that the designers intended. That is fact, no matter now many rubes enjoy the tacky piece of Disney crap.

When you create themed environments huge visual intrusions like a giant toon hat at the end of an art deco Hollywood Blvd doesn't belong. Period. End of discussion (not that it will be, but a Spirit can hope).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom