Upcoming DHS closings ...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
More complicated than the wand?
I dare say. This is a full structure as opposed to a glorified scaffold tower. A hurricane proof one at that. Plus, if it were to go elsewhere a new base would need to be built.

The concrete hat base is a large solid obstruction too. The wands foundations if I recall are still there, covered with dirt.

HMF

I dare say. This is a full structure as opposed to a glorified scaffold tower. A hurricane proof one at that. Plus, if it were to go elsewhere a new base would need to be built.

The concrete hat base is a large solid obstruction too. The wands foundations if I recall are still there, covered with dirt.
But it is officially going to go, right?

Goofyernmost

Exactly what happened to those unused Monorail foundations. Coincidence...I think not! :oops:

Seriously though...it doesn't sound like Disney ever expected it to be temporary did they? I wish I could truly understand the motivation that involved covering the theater view. Whatever it was, it was completely stupid.:rolleyes:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Exactly what happened to those unused Monorail foundations. Coincidence...I think not! :oops:

Seriously though...it doesn't sound like Disney ever expected it to be temporary did they? I wish I could truly understand the motivation that involved covering the theater view. Whatever it was, it was completely stupid.:rolleyes:
I don't know.... is it a sculpture? Is it a store? An icon? Not quite anything? 100 years of Magic came and went, but I guess being designed to withstand the weather meant it had to stand the test of time too. And wait for an appropriate removal budget.

wdwfan22

We kind of do though - @WDW1974, @marni1971, @Lee, @articos, @pheneix give us enough information as well as Old man Al for the west coast. I believe those 6 people are going to give me the closet to the truth without TWDC sheer complete guff when they announce something.

They are wrong more than they are right. When they are wrong they just rephrase it to say funding went away or that plans have changed.

Goofyernmost

I don't know.... is it a sculpture? Is it a store? An icon? Not quite anything? 100 years of Magic came and went, but I guess being designed to withstand the weather meant it had to stand the test of time too. And wait for an appropriate removal budget.
None of the above...It's an eyesore! It wouldn't have been if they had placed it elsewhere. It would have been perfect theme wise and totally unoffensive in the courtyard in the Animation area. However, they don't pay me six/seven figures a year to make those decisions, so what do I know.

ParentsOf4

They are wrong more than they are right. When they are wrong they just rephrase it to say funding went away or that plans have changed.
You would be amazed at how often plans change, not just at Disney but at most corporations.

Let's pick on FastPass+ for a moment. Iger originally suggested this would be rolled out by the summer of 2013, then sometime in 2013. Now it's looking more and more like 2014. Was Iger "wrong"? No. Things change.

Similarly, there were some aspects of MyMagic+ that have been scaled back or even cancelled. There's a reason why Staggs sent out a trial balloon in January 2013 and it's not just because a certain Spirit let the cat out of the bag. Although it may have been announced sooner than originally hoped, at some point TWDC needed to get the word out to gauge reaction.

Several aspects of FastPass+ along with Magic Bands will be in test for over a year. Each test produces results that require evaluation and further modification based on lessons learned.

Within TWDC, there are factions fighting with each other, each wanting to get their own way. The ebb and flow of these internal battles naturally lead to plans changing. Then, of course, there are intentional leaks as the various sides try to influence the debate. It's not much different than American politics, the main difference being that most of these corporate battles occur behind closed doors.

In the corporate world, what's "true" today is not necessarily "true" tomorrow.

doctornick

Until it is announced anything can happen. But it's certainly looking the best yet..

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I hope the hat removal is very low on the priority list. I would be happy to have it gone, but given the expense of having it removed, I'd rather see that money going towards attractions. There's supposedly $600M going to DHS, but if that budget is cut or costs balloon for something I'd rather the hat removal gets cut over a ride.

Just IMHO, I understand others will be of a different mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom