Universe of Energy being unrepainted!

EpcotServo

It was white.

See below.

When we were building Epcot at Walt Disney World in the early 1980s, United Technologies CEO Harry Grey insisted that John paint the exterior of the Living Seas Pavilion "Bright White". "Mr. Grey," John shot back, "There are thirty-three shades of White in my palette-Do you have a Favorite?"
-Marty Sklar, from the Forward to "Designing Disney"

A Book every one should have.

:sohappy:

EPCOT Explorer

It was white.

See below.

When we were building Epcot at Walt Disney World in the early 1980s, United Technologies CEO Harry Grey insisted that John paint the exterior of the Living Seas Pavilion "Bright White". "Mr. Grey," John shot back, "There are thirty-three shades of White in my palette-Do you have a Favorite?"

So it was a SHADE of white. :lol::lol: Hence my, thinking it was tan, interesting.:lol:

And I've seen that book on eBay, bid, and lost.:dazzle:

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
It was white.

See below.

Oh yeah, I remember that! That's awesome!

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
I thought it was silverish blue?

That's more how I would describe it than purple, I don't know what Dubbz is smokin'. Unfortunately, this is the best picture I can find of it with its original paint scheme:
Communicore-Living%20Seas2%20copy.jpg

Any idea what year this picture was taken, and/or what year the buildings were painted?
50027.jpg

HMF

That's more how I would describe it than purple, I don't know what Dubbz is smokin'. Unfortunately, this is the best picture I can find of it with its original paint scheme:
Communicore-Living%20Seas2%20copy.jpg

Any idea what year this picture was taken, and/or what year the buildings were painted?
50027.jpg
I do know the buildings were re-painted in 94.

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
I do know the buildings were re-painted in 94.

That doesn't jive with what we're seeing here, though. CommuniCore is already the current tan color, but the ponds are still there, which were removed in 1994 with the installation of Innoventions. And I'm reasonably sure that this postcard image was taken at least several years before that.

Expo_Seeker40

CommuniCore was not repainted until the closure of walkways and work being done on (what became) Innoventions Plaza. The color you see in 2009 is a faded color of what was an insane amount of salmon pink/tan back in the 90s.

The postcard with the ponds is from the early 80s....Jeff's picture of CommuniCore on his DVD cover is no different than Martin's video footage of the exterior in 1990.

EPCOT Explorer

50027.jpg
I ain't smokin' nothing!:lol::lol::lookaroun

I was talking about the logo and the interior. I seem to remember purple.:lol::shrug:
:sohappy::sohappy:

Thanks!:sohappy:

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
I ain't smokin' nothing!:lol::lol::lookaroun

I was talking about the logo and the interior. I seem to remember purple.:lol::shrug:

Oh, sorry, I was getting my wires crossed! :hammer:

CommuniCore was not repainted until the closure of walkways and work being done on (what became) Innoventions Plaza.

This postcard does not support that, though. This shows the tan paint job and the ponds and original walkways co-existing:

50027.jpg

As you can see, Earth Station is still light blue, CommuniCore is very tan, and the Plaza is very pondy. So my question is, 1) when was this postcard taken, because it is after the loss of CommuniCore's light blue paint job, but before the loss of the ponds, and 2) when was CommuniCore painted tan, then, because this postcard is obviously before any work was done for Innoventions.

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
the postcard is copywrited 1983...done the same year as the first interior photograph postcards of SSE were issued.

The sun is smacked right on the building, that's why it looks the way it does, and it was

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffbpictures/2130848111/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffbpictures/2239449377/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljsilicon/2682062199/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffbpictures/2322063008/

I don't know, those pylons look almost brown to me in that postcard. :shrug:

EDIT: I could also swear that CommuniCore was the same color as Earth Station, and this just doesn't look like that at all.

Expo_Seeker40

the sun is right on the building...its an old postcard...its been scanned..and the green and yellow coming off the water onto the building doesn't help either. :brick: :lol: :hammer: :cry:

EPCOT Explorer

Oh, sorry, I was getting my wires crossed! :hammer:

This postcard does not support that, though. This shows the tan paint job and the ponds and original walkways co-existing:

50027.jpg

As you can see, Earth Station is still light blue, CommuniCore is very tan, and the Plaza is very pondy. So my question is, 1) when was this postcard taken, because it is after the loss of CommuniCore's light blue paint job, but before the loss of the ponds, and 2) when was CommuniCore painted tan, then, because this postcard is obviously before any work was done for Innoventions.
I don't think CCore was ever light blue. I think it's was tan from the beginning...

This picture was taken in September of 1982 ( Previews of the park, note the missing "Trylon" Fountain) I see tan. *shrug* I think people are getting confused with CCore and Earth Station.
3031367409_403302f0a6.jpg

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
I don't think CCore was ever light blue. I think it's was tan from the beginning...

This picture was taken in September of 1982 ( Previews of the park, note the missing "Trylon" Fountain) I see tan. *shrug* I think people are getting confused with CCore and Earth Station.
3031367409_403302f0a6.jpg

Nah, CommuniCore was definitely light blue at some point.

In trying to research this, I found something else odd: what's all the extra AT&T shiznit in the middle of Earth Station in this video?!

EPCOT Explorer

Nah, CommuniCore was definitely light blue at some point.

In trying to research this, I found something else odd: what's all the extra AT&T shiznit in the middle of Earth Station in this video?!

I think only Martin can help us now with the coloring...:lol::dazzle:

And yes, that AT&T shiznit is odd. Maybe this was as they were transitioning the takeover of the post show?:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom