Universe of Energy being unrepainted!

EpcotFanForever

Rode UOE today!

I just returned from EPCOT and here is my update on UOE.

First, the outside painting remains in progress. The color sequence is red, orange, then yellow for the remaining gaps. The last gap only had a first coat. The wall beyond the final leg is a royal blue.

when you enter the preshow area, there is a rectangle of yellow tape above the countdown clock covering something - not sure what. The preshow carpet is new with a orange=yellow box before each of the two sets of doors to the theatres.

Tried to ride 3/27, but it was down. The lady outside was very nice and said the show ran for two hours then crashed.

Got into the preshow on 3/28, and it was going well except the second screen from the left was out of sync. The video was lagging the sound by as much as two seconds. A male voice came over the speaker saying the "show was 101", and a rather discombobulated female cast member had a very hard time trying to tell us to leave. The poor dear could not get a coherent sentence out - but gave it a valiant try.

Returned the morning of 3/29, and the signboard said it was down. We tried anyway and got into the preshow. The lag on screen two was down to half a second and everything else seemed fine. The doors opened on cue and there was a five-pack on the turntable. The carpet was definitely not new, but it could be that the seats on the traveling theatres were new. They used to be shiny and now they had more of a rough plastic finish, like the new Pirates and IASW boats. Not sure how recent that is.

The show progressed as always, with no hitches. The dino room seems to have a modified musty smell, with renewed strength but with some sort of change so as not to confused it with must. Just my impression.

Ellen seemed much more lifelike, but I could not see anything else different on the dino part. There was no splashing water fountain up by the bird-like dino, but there were two steam-like jets (maybe always there?)

The small turntable seemed darker - there used to be a light effect that seemed to be missing. The radio tower was broadcast on a curtain, and when we rotated there was a center curtain that raised in sync with the movie, but no side curtains. So it looked very odd.

Coming back onto the main turntable, the side curtains were pulled-up on both sides - the entry side from the left and over a black wall on the right. Some time during the closing movie, they came down.

Finally, the exit area still had no screens, but the carpet seemed new.

That's about all I can recall...

TheDisneyMagic

A big welcome to the boards EpcotFanForever!

Many thanks for your update, it sounds like they are still having a few teething problems with the system at the moment and to me from what you said it doesn't sound like the curtains have been repaired. :eek:

Who knows, maybe they have fixed them and they were having a rough day.

We tried on the 27th. During the pre-show the video crashed. The CM explained that the new wireless transmission wasn't working correctly. They expect a few more weeks of bugs.

Sucks, cause I have never seen the show. Been there about 6 times over the past two years without ever getting to see the UoE

Expo_Seeker40

CAUTION: this is another "Energy in the Universe of Energy" post :eek:

First off, thank you and welcome EpcotFanForever :wave: :sohappy:

Alright....the diorama folks.....

I'm trying to get my fanboyish vibes correctly and figure out what still works and doesn't work in the diorama...perhaps more does since the ride has been refurbed.

What works......if I remember correctly....u still enter the diorama and it's dark out...the moon....the stars....the ambient sounds, etc.

The sun begins to rise, or perhaps it's a storm that leaves...but the orange/red sunlight appears later on.

Supposedly there is a new or more prodnounced musty/swamp smell now....an effect thats been gone for a while.

The dinosaurs were repainted in 1996, the dino that was dying in the pond , spits water since 1996....does the llava effect even work any more? Does it bubble?

I think the biggest thing thats been missing is the fog, and the soundtrack and ellen and bill's voice doesn't help too much either.

gustaftp

Why did they stop the fog, anyhow -- was it getting into the other theaters when the doors opened? It really added mystery and that one effect really went a long way in total immersion.

I'm curious as to what they actually DID for 3 months in there if the curtains in theater 2 aren't working? It seems like that would be a simple fix. Are the dinosaurs at least not as creaky as they were before?

TheDisneyMagic

Why did they stop the fog, anyhow -- was it getting into the other theaters when the doors opened? It really added mystery and that one effect really went a long way in total immersion.

I'm curious as to what they actually DID for 3 months in there if the curtains in theater 2 aren't working? It seems like that would be a simple fix. Are the dinosaurs at least not as creaky as they were before?

I guess as said before it was focusing on the few cosmetics such as the new carpet and a newer (updated?) ride system which they seem to still be tweaking with.

I do hope the curtains get repaired as it looks really silly having the middle screen covered as you enter but can easily see the two side screens.

Expo_Seeker40

We could drop a few emails or letters saying we've noticed (over such a period of time) that the side curtains aren't working, etc.

Disney PR is all about show quality and immersive experiences, and I'm sure some third shift work could be spent on repairing it.

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
The dinosaurs were repainted in 1996, the dino that was dying in the pond , spits water since 1996....does the llava effect even work any more? Does it bubble?

No more flowing lava, I think they got rid of that in 1996, but there still is that geyserish thing above as you approach theater 2.

I think the biggest thing thats been missing is the fog,

The fog was actually fixed maybe a year or so ago, at least in the beginning of the diorama area.

We could drop a few emails or letters saying we've noticed (over such a period of time) that the side curtains aren't working, etc.

Disney PR is all about show quality and immersive experiences, and I'm sure some third shift work could be spent on repairing it.

Except then we might end up with triangles over the curtains... :hammer:

EpcotFanForever

Some other details...

Oops - I forgot the fog - there was lots of it and the effect was impressive - it seemed better than the old days. I guess the moon was new also - I never noticed it before.

We did not see any geyser though.

The lava looked like solid, backlit translucent plastic - no motion.

Expo_Seeker40

Great to hear the fog is working! :sohappy:

The UoE is starting to become my next 180top :D :eek:

I first went on it toward the end of 1996 after the Ellen Refurb, and while I was young, I still found it fun and interesting....especially the traveling theater concept.

I rode the UoE in 2004, and then in 2007, but the ride was looking dated and pretty tired and I haven't been on it since.

My interest came about after they repainted it to resemble pretty much its original color scheme, and then to hear that the fog is back and there is a swamp/must smell back is very good news to me. These were critical parts of the show that had been gone for quite some time.

Atleast the lava is there, too bad it hasn't worked...probably since 1996.

Also, Disney uses alot of film projectors....would it be that much of a bother to convert the films (the original copies are all filed away) and then use them in a digital projector. I'm suripised something like Soarin' didn't use a digital projector.

imagineer boy

Last time I went through the dinosaur part of UOE, I looked up and noticed how clearly the lighting spot lights were visible. Has it always been like this or just since the Ellen refurb?

EPCOT Explorer

First, the outside painting remains in progress. The color sequence is red, orange, then yellow for the remaining gaps. The last gap only had a first coat. The wall beyond the final leg is a royal blue.

when you enter the preshow area, there is a rectangle of yellow tape above the countdown clock covering something - not sure what. The preshow carpet is new with a orange=yellow box before each of the two sets of doors to the theatres.

Tried to ride 3/27, but it was down. The lady outside was very nice and said the show ran for two hours then crashed.

Got into the preshow on 3/28, and it was going well except the second screen from the left was out of sync. The video was lagging the sound by as much as two seconds. A male voice came over the speaker saying the "show was 101", and a rather discombobulated female cast member had a very hard time trying to tell us to leave. The poor dear could not get a coherent sentence out - but gave it a valiant try.

Returned the morning of 3/29, and the signboard said it was down. We tried anyway and got into the preshow. The lag on screen two was down to half a second and everything else seemed fine. The doors opened on cue and there was a five-pack on the turntable. The carpet was definitely not new, but it could be that the seats on the traveling theatres were new. They used to be shiny and now they had more of a rough plastic finish, like the new Pirates and IASW boats. Not sure how recent that is.

The show progressed as always, with no hitches. The dino room seems to have a modified musty smell, with renewed strength but with some sort of change so as not to confused it with must. Just my impression.

Ellen seemed much more lifelike, but I could not see anything else different on the dino part. There was no splashing water fountain up by the bird-like dino, but there were two steam-like jets (maybe always there?)

The small turntable seemed darker - there used to be a light effect that seemed to be missing. The radio tower was broadcast on a curtain, and when we rotated there was a center curtain that raised in sync with the movie, but no side curtains. So it looked very odd.

Coming back onto the main turntable, the side curtains were pulled-up on both sides - the entry side from the left and over a black wall on the right. Some time during the closing movie, they came down.

Finally, the exit area still had no screens, but the carpet seemed new.

That's about all I can recall...
Sounds great! Thanks so much for doing this!:D

CAUTION: this is another "Energy in the Universe of Energy" post :eek:

First off, thank you and welcome EpcotFanForever :wave: :sohappy:

Alright....the diorama folks.....

I'm trying to get my fanboyish vibes correctly and figure out what still works and doesn't work in the diorama...perhaps more does since the ride has been refurbed.

What works......if I remember correctly....u still enter the diorama and it's dark out...the moon....the stars....the ambient sounds, etc.

The sun begins to rise, or perhaps it's a storm that leaves...but the orange/red sunlight appears later on.

Supposedly there is a new or more prodnounced musty/swamp smell now....an effect thats been gone for a while.

I think the biggest thing thats been missing is the fog, and the soundtrack and ellen and bill's voice doesn't help too much either.
Patchy fog last Aug...and some water effects.
Oops - I forgot the fog - there was lots of it and the effect was impressive - it seemed better than the old days. I guess the moon was new also - I never noticed it before.

We did not see any geyser though.

The lava looked like solid, backlit translucent plastic - no motion.
:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Okay..... this is now a great thread and a worthy contender to All of Epcot part 2 :D

Great to hear orange is in too. I was worried only red and yellow was coming back, despite it only appearing to be a base coat.

when you enter the preshow area, there is a rectangle of yellow tape above the countdown clock covering something
Correct me, but wasn`t this where the old sponsor badge was?

Great to know the new RCS is working perfectly then.... :lol:
A male voice came over the speaker saying the "show was 101",
Good to know it still constitutes a 101.
The doors opened on cue and there was a five-pack on the turntable.
Tut tut.... back from refurb and a car down? Unless the seat coating is new as you say and this car is still being worked on. I really hope the 12th car hasn`t given up and is being used for parts, as the original car 13 was.
The small turntable seemed darker - there used to be a light effect that seemed to be missing.
There used to be spots of light all over the floor and incoming guests from ceiling gobo fixtures; were these missing?
I`m pretty sure these are a new thing; the original shows side curtains were raised for the reflection effect of the finale film and then lowered at the end; for Ellen I`m pretty sure they never moved. Nothing on the walls but the 1996 soundproofing though? Me wonders if they are planning on plussing it....

A word on smoke; around the parks 25th and again last summer I was amazed at how well the smoke was working; the floor was covered with it as it should be, it was even foggy in the Brontosaurus pond. The original flowing lava however was removed in 1996; it`s more of a glowing trench now. It looks similar but with no movement. The moon is a 1982 original, from entering the dinorama at night and moving through to morning as the on-screen storm caught up with guests for real as the six pack split up.

Great, detailed report. Thanks :wave:

EPCOT Explorer

Okay..... this is now a great thread and a worthy contender to All of Epcot part 2 :D

Great to hear orange is in too. I was worried only red and yellow was coming back, despite it only appearing to be a base coat.

Correct me, but wasn`t this where the old sponsor badge was?

Great to know the new RCS is working perfectly then.... :lol:
Good to know it still constitutes a 101.
Tut tut.... back from refurb and a car down? Unless the seat coating is new as you say and this car is still being worked on. I really hope the 12th car hasn`t given up and is being used for parts, as the original car 13 was.
There used to be spots of light all over the floor and incoming guests from ceiling gobo fixtures; were these missing?
I`m pretty sure these are a new thing; the original shows side curtains were raised for the reflection effect of the finale film and then lowered at the end; for Ellen I`m pretty sure they never moved. Nothing on the walls but the 1996 soundproofing though? Me wonders if they are planning on plussing it....

A word on smoke; around the parks 25th and again last summer I was amazed at how well the smoke was working; the floor was covered with it as it should be, it was even foggy in the Brontosaurus pond. The original flowing lava however was removed in 1996; it`s more of a glowing trench now. It looks similar but with no movement. The moon is a 1982 original, from entering the dinorama at night and moving through to morning as the on-screen storm caught up with guests for real as the six pack split up.

Great, detailed report. Thanks :wave:
Interesting as always!

I coulda sworn I saw liquid lava last summer though...:shrug::(

It used to actually rain above the Brontosaurus pool as well as the projected storm on the rear cyc.

For a few years it rained for real between shows, when the roof leaked in that very location ;)
Hah! Ironic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom