Universe of Energy being unrepainted!

Admiral01

Premium Member

EPCOT Explorer

Way too many.
I still recall them being a gold/silver colour.

The illuminated wall maps were ripped out in 1996 along with most of what gave the attraction character. As were the wall monitors. I believe the CM console is still in place but dressed.

Funny tidbit... for version 1.5 they had already ripped out the maps and monitors, yet the v1 spiel mentioned them. They had to record a new spiel as you entered theatre 2 that didn`t reference them, and it was possibly the only spiel that was year specific in the dialogue (welcome back folks, to 1996....)

Do I foresee a huge thread?:lookaroun

Change of voice too...I always thought that was odd.

Expo_Seeker40

I think we're going to be unlocking an "Energy in the Universe of Energy" thread!

1.)The black curtains that came about in 1996....they cover, I believe, sound-proof panneled walls...those black bricks....same material that's inside the old space station in 180top.

2.)The screen that looks like a television monitor with Ellen on it at the very end of the ride....that is a flat wall, where there used to be a curved screen attached to it for the finale?

3.) The traveling theater has always been.....what color is it....purple?

4.) If all the maps and monitors were ripped out in 1996 from theater 2....I wonder what a flash picture would show now :lookaroun

5.) When we enter theater 2 we face one screen....and then we rotate to the left to face the center screen. Is this what folks were saying that since 1996 there has been a curtain that lifts up, but as it hasn't worked in a while you can see all three screens when entering the theater?

6.) the solar energy farm is a remnant film clip from the old Universe of Energy film :D

Mr.EPCOT

Original Poster
You are correct Mr.Epcot, the last time the main entrance Plaza was updated was back in 2006 and the Seas with Nemo and Friends was definately not added to it.

Yeah, I liked that Mission: SPACE bit they added into it, but how they just lifted the Soarin' music verbatim drives me nuts.

As for the Energy scores, the Exit music is available commercially

Isn't that the pre-pre-show music?

The illuminated wall maps were ripped out in 1996 along with most of what gave the attraction character.

Isn't that the truth!

As were the wall monitors. I believe the CM console is still in place but dressed.

Yeah, that's still there. I believe the wall maps and such where were the radio tower is now, right?

(Oh god, this is turning into the Universe of Energy equivalent of the Spaceship in Spaceship Earth thread!)

Funny tidbit... for version 1.5 they had already ripped out the maps and monitors, yet the v1 spiel mentioned them. They had to record a new spiel as you entered theatre 2 that didn`t reference them, and it was possibly the only spiel that was year specific in the dialogue (welcome back folks, to 1996....)

Neat, I didn't know that! Wouldn't it be cool to find a recording of that!? And I'm sure it cost them minimally to do that, and small things like that is all it takes to update the attraction on a regular basis that could keep the information up-to-date. But no, if they came across the same situation nowadays, they would just leave it closed.

EPCOT Explorer

I think we're going to be unlocking an "Energy in the Universe of Energy" thread!

1.)The black curtains that came about in 1996....they cover, I believe, sound-proof panneled walls...those black bricks....same material that's inside the old space station in 180top.

2.)The screen that looks like a television monitor with Ellen on it at the very end of the ride....that is a flat wall, where there used to be a curved screen attached to it for the finale?

3.) The traveling theater has always been.....what color is it....purple?

4.) If all the maps and monitors were ripped out in 1996 from theater 2....I wonder what a flash picture would show now :lookaroun

5.) When we enter theater 2 we face one screen....and then we rotate to the left to face the center screen. Is this what folks were saying that since 1996 there has been a curtain that lifts up, but as it hasn't worked in a while you can see all three screens when entering the theater?

6.) the solar energy farm is a remnant film clip from the old Universe of Energy film :D

:lol::lol: I'm all for it.

3)Blue, deff, blue.:D

4) Someone needs to take pics.:lol:

5) Yep...I saw that last year myself. They weren't alined.

EPCOT Explorer

Neat, I didn't know that! Wouldn't it be cool to find a recording of that!? And I'm sure it cost them minimally to do that, and small things like that is all it takes to update the attraction on a regular basis that could keep the information up-to-date. But no, if they came across the same situation nowadays, they would just leave it closed.

It's in his tribute:D

TheDisneyMagic

I think you are correct there as well Mr.Epcot, I believe it is used as your waiting for the Pre Show to begin and the same score is used as you exit the pavillion, well it is either the same or extremely similar (I haven't noticed a difference between the two).

EPCOT Explorer

I think you are correct there as well Mr.Epcot, I believe it is used as your waiting for the Pre Show to begin and the same score is used as you exit the pavillion, well it is either the same or extremely similar (I haven't noticed a difference between the two).

Nor had I...I would like to hear variations if there are any.

Rob562

You are correct. I found this article explaining that the tiles in the entrance aren't just to look good, they represent the sun and the Earth's respective sizes.
http://www.mainstgazette.com/2008/10/you-make-world-go-round.html

Pretty cool, I think.

Yeah, though one bit of info in the article is wrong. The mural merely depicts the Sun and Earth's sizes relative to each other. I'm 99% sure they do not depict the proper scale distance between the two.

Here in Boston we have the world's 2nd largest scale-model of the solar system:
http://www.mos.org/sln/wtu/css.html
I have yet to actually go and seek out any of the planets other than Pluto, which is right at the Riverside T stop where I park if I'm taking the T into the city.

There are two different sets of curtains. As you enter Theater 2, they are all supposed to be closed.
First, there's the curtain over the center screen. That lifts up (hopefully in sync) at the start of the Theater 2 film as you're rotating toward it.
Then there's the side curtains. Those are on tracks and are supposed to withdraw to either side (in sync with the film) at the "from now on we're dreaming in wide-screen" moment.

The sideways-moving curtains have been broken for a very long time. For a while, the center curtain was still working, so it was down as you entered Theater 2. But it was rather stupid-looking, because you could see the side screens sticking out on either side, and it looked like a random curtain hanging randomly in the middle of the room. I'll bet that eventually they realized how stupid it looked, and decided to just forget the rising center curtain and left it in the raised position, leaving the films to do the visual work of the curtains rising and retracting.

Now... Philharmagic's sideways-retracting curtains were broken at one point, but they seemed to be able to fix those... Impressions de France and Hall of Presidents also both have sideways-retracting curtains, and have had no issues. I'll admit, Energy's curtains are much taller and wider (and thus heavier) than those other curtains, but still.... Why can't they seem to FIX the darn curtains?

-Rob

TheDisneyMagic

Rob562 described the curtains to a T, I remember reporting on here a few years back when they first broke I can't believe the amount of time they were not functioning for.:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom