Universal vs. Disney

Captain Chaos

On another website, I posted how horrible I was treated by several employees at Universal, to the point to where I actually went to complain... Of course, I was bashed by hard core Universal fans... To them Universal can do no wrong.. Same with a lot fo Disney fans... People have to realize one park isn't really better than the other... The experiences are different...

I was not putting the park down in any way, shape, or form.. In fact, prior to my last trip, I enjoyed the park... So much so, I bought a Universal AP.. I have since cancelled the AP...

Funny thing I find about threads like this is, people try to compare... You really cannot compare... Yes, I think Disney does it best... However, Universal does do a lot better than Disney...

I won't be going to Universal in the foreseeable future, but, I also do not bash or put down the park... Go and enjoy which ever park you choose...

CaptainMichael

This = truth.

I mean, it's not even close. I can't wait to go back and really pay attention to the details instead of just walking past them. You could go there forever and still miss something I'm sure.

I know you're very knowledgeable about Universal, is there any sort of guidebook like the Imagineer's Fieldguides for the parks?

Disneyson 1

Exactly! In DHS, you don't know if you're in a studio or not the whole time. With the exception of Disaster! and the Kids Zone (Which, by my standards forgoes the rule, there is a clear theme that you are in a movie studio (the buildings that you see when you walk in) that, in essence, comes to life (The rest of the park looks like a zillion movie reels exploded out of their vault). DHS is a little sketchy, as sometimes we're made to believe that we're in a studio (LMA,BT), sometimes we ENTER the movies (VoTLM), sometimes we're actually IN hollywood (GMR, ToT) and sometimes I can't even tell (ST?). So, point for Uni.

goodtimes5286

And Univeral Studios puts DHS to shame theming wise...big time.

This = truth.

So Disney has a hotel fountain and garden, rolling into an abandoned hotel lobby, to which you enter a library where all is explained, then you creep down into the boiler room to which you await an elevator ride to your 'rooms' OR is it the record studio your standing outside of when you enter the building of G-force records, there rising artists, a really cool door, and classic musical instruments. Then you proceed to go into a live recording from Aerosmith, the only problem is they have a show to get to so they decide to get you a REALLY fast limo to the event since they love their fans sooooo much (not exactly what I heard, but I digress). You then enter a back alley that fits the part, you get into your limo and then get ready to roll to the concert in style, being reminded your on the freeway throughout the entire ride. Or going into a very foresty area so that you can get a ride to endor on the endor express. You even meet R2-D2 and C3PO before you meet the person controlling your voyage. As you pass two areas that not only tell you the story, but keep you entertained, you go to your pre-boarding area where you can watch your vehicle as it gets ready to go and get some boarding information, etc etc

Across the way your speaking of a unicorn coaster whose only clue you can gather is from the name, a roller coaster (which I explained earlier) you need to ride to (I think) rid Bruce Banner of his radiation, another coaster whose walls tell the tale of an ancient time.....but that's about it, storm force uses the spinning to power something and deflect evil from somewhere close but not close enough to be seen, Popeye....all I know is you get wet because there are no context clues while your in line, the high in the sky trolley train which teaches about equality but doesn't explain what that has to do with why your in line or on the vehicle, etc etc etc...

I made a statement and I backed it up eairler, and now I've further backed it up proving that Disney has more theming. Does Islands look beautiful, you bet. What about when your waiting in lines, yeah I gotta agree there too. What about when your on the rides, ehh some. But that's not what theming is, theming is the whole deal, its describing your experience from start to finish. Making something look good is one thing, giving you a ride EXPERIENCE and not just a thrill is another. Disney does the best job at setting up a ride, hands down, and that is theming.

If anyone thinks that Islands isn't beautiful, they need to re-enter, and leave there Disney colored classes at home; but at the same time if you think that Universal themes better then Disney you better learn what theming is and then check into a deserted hotel on the darkside of Hollywood, because no one does it better then Disney.

WDW1974

Interesting points all ... I think people who set them up as only being Disney fans (you know the type ... when they pile in the rental and have to drive away from 'the magic' at POP they're already about using one of their nine 'Disney' days off property) likely will set themselves up to not enjoy Universal/IOA/SW ...conversely, if people judge the competition on its own merits, well those parks stand up quite well. And, yes, they certainly have attractions and dining and shops and theming that is better than what Disney has, as well as plenty that can't come close to matching the Mouse.

One thing I will say is SW is kept MUCH cleaner and better maintained than either the Disney or the Universal parks on a daily basis. It looks like the MK used to many, many years ago ... and that can't be easy with all the free beer they give out.

Oh, and Mythos is absolutely the best theme park restuarant in O-Town when you consider food quality, service, price/value and theming. Blows every Disney locale away when you rate it by those metrics.

CaptainMichael

So Disney has a hotel fountain and garden, rolling into an abandoned hotel lobby, to which you enter a library where all is explained, then you creep down into the boiler room to which you await an elevator ride to your 'rooms' OR is it the record studio your standing outside of when you enter the building of G-force records, there rising artists, a really cool door, and classic musical instruments. Then you proceed to go into a live recording from Aerosmith, the only problem is they have a show to get to so they decide to get you a REALLY fast limo to the event since they love their fans sooooo much (not exactly what I heard, but I digress). You then enter a back alley that fits the part, you get into your limo and then get ready to roll to the concert in style, being reminded your on the freeway throughout the entire ride. Or going into a very foresty area so that you can get a ride to endor on the endor express. You even meet R2-D2 and C3PO before you meet the person controlling your voyage. As you pass two areas that not only tell you the story, but keep you entertained, you go to your pre-boarding area where you can watch your vehicle as it gets ready to go and get some boarding information, etc etc

Across the way your speaking of a unicorn coaster whose only clue you can gather is from the name, a roller coaster (which I explained earlier) you need to ride to (I think) rid Bruce Banner of his radiation, another coaster whose walls tell the tale of an ancient time.....but that's about it, storm force uses the spinning to power something and deflect evil from somewhere close but not close enough to be seen, Popeye....all I know is you get wet because there are no context clues while your in line, the high in the sky trolley train which teaches about equality but doesn't explain what that has to do with why your in line or on the vehicle, etc etc etc...

I made a statement and I backed it up eairler, and now I've further backed it up proving that Disney has more theming. Does Islands look beautiful, you bet. What about when your waiting in lines, yeah I gotta agree there too. What about when your on the rides, ehh some. But that's not what theming is, theming is the whole deal, its describing your experience from start to finish. Making something look good is one thing, giving you a ride EXPERIENCE and not just a thrill is another. Disney does the best job at setting up a ride, hands down, and that is theming.

If anyone thinks that Islands isn't beautiful, they need to re-enter, and leave there Disney colored classes at home; but at the same time if you think that Universal themes better then Disney you better learn what theming is and then check into a deserted hotel on the darkside of Hollywood, because no one does it better then Disney.

We weren't talking about Islands, we were commenting on the Studios side in comparrison to DHS, Disney's studio themed park. Universal Studios > Hollywood Studios by a landside. A much more cohesive and detailed park.

WDW1974

We weren't talking about Islands, we were commenting on the Studios side in comparrison to DHS, Disney's studio themed park. Universal Studios > Hollywood Studios by a landside. A much more cohesive and detailed park.

Yeah, but The Park Formerly Known as the Disney-MGM Studios once was a whole lot more cohesive itself.

It's become a mess over the past decade, no doubt about it.

Nothing says that more than a huge cartoon hat just plopped down in the middle to sell pins. Magical.

goodtimes5286

Interesting points all ... I think people who set them up as only being Disney fans (you know the type ... when they pile in the rental and have to drive away from 'the magic' at POP they're already about using one of their nine 'Disney' days off property) likely will set themselves up to not enjoy Universal/IOA/SW ...conversely, if people judge the competition on its own merits, well those parks stand up quite well. And, yes, they certainly have attractions and dining and shops and theming that is better than what Disney has, as well as plenty that can't come close to matching the Mouse.

One thing I will say is SW is kept MUCH cleaner and better maintained than either the Disney or the Universal parks on a daily basis. It looks like the MK used to many, many years ago ... and that can't be easy with all the free beer they give out.

Oh, and Mythos is absolutely the best theme park restuarant in O-Town when you consider food quality, service, price/value and theming. Blows every Disney locale away when you rate it by those metrics.

To be honest I haven't been to sea world for years (because I hate animals and it only has 3 rides I ride and that is DEFINITIVELY not worth admission b/c you can only really ride journey to Atlantis and Arctic Adventure 1ce and then the fun is gone.) But as for maintaining the park, I gotta give the notch to Islands of adventure. It's just like the first day the park opened everyday. They have a cleanup crew come in at night and retouch up paint, clean the park, perfect the rides, etc. They really know how to do it right in my book (and I wish Disney would follow suit but we've discussed this before).

As for the Mythos, I've always seen it (it's in LC right?), but I've never been in there. If its getting this much high praise I'm definitively going to be in. But what about Cinderella's castle? Chef Mickie's? The luau at the Polynesian? Mickie's backyard BBQ? The place with Belly dancers in Morocco?

"Blows every Disney locale away," u sure?

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I understand the points you're trying to make, but the main ride that you're referring to, ToT was opened in 1994. The newer Tower of Terrors (besides Tokyo) don't even come close and they've had half the budget. That's the problem with Disney since about 1995, when some those imagineers got the boot and went to work at Universal. Most of Disney's best attractions in the U.S. have come before that era.

What's the storyline of Triceratops Spin? of Dumbo? of Aladdin's Magic Carpet ride? of autopia? of Mad Hatter's Tea Party? There are clues to the storylines on the rides that you mentioned, they're posted in different places or they're familiar stories from what some people read/saw before, just like many Disney attractions..

Now we can discuss maintenance and upkeep but both Disney and Universal have had serious problems in that regard.

goodtimes5286

Oh sorry then. I haven't been to Universal (except to go on the mummy 1ce in ever row then bounce to Hard Rock or back to islands) in forever, so I can't really comment on the comparison between the two, but next time I go I'll look around. But as for the mummy ride, I think it looks nice and all, and Brendan Frazier is mixed in, but still I don't understand why, it doesn't do a good job of explaining it. As for DHS they pull you into a room, shake you, and say "HEY, this is what its all about!" Universal (to my knowledge) has never done a good job of this and it is the reason why I said the theming (arangement of each ride, not how the rides are aranged in the park), is better in Dis

goodtimes5286

I understand the points you're trying to make, but the main ride that you're referring to, ToT was opened in 1994. The newer Tower of Terrors (besides Tokyo) don't even come close and they've had half the budget. That's the problem with Disney since about 1995, when some those imagineers got the boot and went to work at Universal. Most of Disney's best attractions in the U.S. have come before that era.

What's the storyline of Triceratops Spin? of Dumbo? of Aladdin's Magic Carpet ride? of autopia? of Mad Hatter's Tea Party? There are clues to the storylines on the rides that you mentioned, they're posted in different places or they're familiar stories from what some people read/saw before, just like many Disney attractions..

Now we can discuss maintenance and upkeep but both Disney and Universal have had serious problems in that regard.

Maybe you have something there (because I'm not aware of them letting the imageneers go etc..... link please to the story), but as for the rides you mentioned I only ride one (triceratops spin). I think the kiddy rides don't need as much attention to detail as do the adult rides. Why, because kids don't care AND because theming is a way to divert traffic and make people think they aren't waiting as long as they really are. Thats the big secret, they wouldnt cost themselves tons of money if they didn't get benefit. Also it takes less space to not theme an area where the riders could careless about the theme. And also it allows young riders to go on without there parent(s) (so they can feel like big kids!), but also letting the parents know that there kids are safe because they can watch, and wave, and take pictures. Any area where you take kids away from parents for a 'kiddy ride', haul them into a dark room all alone, n then make them ride this contraption probably isnt going to get alot of guests.

And now that I'm thinking about it, since all but Triceratops Spin is one I dont ride, is the spin a kiddy ride? If so I'm going to feel weird for going on it and loving it all of this time, but it feels like a grown-up coaster. Like when I was playing roller coaster tycoon I had a ride JUST like it and TONS of adults went on it and it was an adult ride!

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I mean, it's not even close. I can't wait to go back and really pay attention to the details instead of just walking past them. You could go there forever and still miss something I'm sure.

I know you're very knowledgeable about Universal, is there any sort of guidebook like the Imagineer's Fieldguides for the parks?

Unfortunately there isn't. :( It would definitely be great to see something like that though. The park's 20th anniversary is next June, so hopefully we'll see some cool stuff like that come out.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
To be honest I haven't been to sea world for years (because I hate animals and it only has 3 rides I ride and that is DEFINITIVELY not worth admission b/c you can only really ride journey to Atlantis and Arctic Adventure 1ce and then the fun is gone.) But as for maintaining the park, I gotta give the notch to Islands of adventure. It's just like the first day the park opened everyday. They have a cleanup crew come in at night and retouch up paint, clean the park, perfect the rides, etc. They really know how to do it right in my book (and I wish Disney would follow suit but we've discussed this before).

As for the Mythos, I've always seen it (it's in LC right?), but I've never been in there. If its getting this much high praise I'm definitively going to be in. But what about Cinderella's castle? Chef Mickie's? The luau at the Polynesian? Mickie's backyard BBQ? The place with Belly dancers in Morocco?

"Blows every Disney locale away," u sure?
It hasn't been rated #1 theme park restaurant in the world six years straight for nothing.

Maybe you have something there (because I'm not aware of them letting the imageneers go etc..... link please to the story), but as for the rides you mentioned I only ride one (triceratops spin). I think the kiddy rides don't need as much attention to detail as do the adult rides. Why, because kids don't care AND because theming is a way to divert traffic and make people think they aren't waiting as long as they really are. Thats the big secret, they wouldnt cost themselves tons of money if they didn't get benefit. Also it takes less space to not theme an area where the riders could careless about the theme. And also it allows young riders to go on without there parent(s) (so they can feel like big kids!), but also letting the parents know that there kids are safe because they can watch, and wave, and take pictures. Any area where you take kids away from parents for a 'kiddy ride', haul them into a dark room all alone, n then make them ride this contraption probably isnt going to get alot of guests.

And now that I'm thinking about it, since all but Triceratops Spin is one I dont ride, is the spin a kiddy ride? If so I'm going to feel weird for going on it and loving it all of this time, but it feels like a grown-up coaster. Like when I was playing roller coaster tycoon I had a ride JUST like it and TONS of adults went on it and it was an adult ride!
And yet you mentioned The Flying Unicorn (a kiddie coaster no different than the Barnstormer at MK) in your original post. :confused:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
For the Price...Mythos can't be beat. You can pay 3x as much for some of the Disney restaurants and get the same quality, but I love Mythos!!!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
On another website, I posted how horrible I was treated by several employees at Universal, to the point to where I actually went to complain... Of course, I was bashed by hard core Universal fans... To them Universal can do no wrong.. Same with a lot fo Disney fans... People have to realize one park isn't really better than the other... The experiences are different...

I was not putting the park down in any way, shape, or form.. In fact, prior to my last trip, I enjoyed the park... So much so, I bought a Universal AP.. I have since cancelled the AP...

Funny thing I find about threads like this is, people try to compare... You really cannot compare... Yes, I think Disney does it best... However, Universal does do a lot better than Disney...

I won't be going to Universal in the foreseeable future, but, I also do not bash or put down the park... Go and enjoy which ever park you choose...

So you cancelled your AP because of a few employees on one visit?

CaptainMichael

Unfortunately there isn't. :( It would definitely be great to see something like that though. The park's 20th anniversary is next June, so hopefully we'll see some cool stuff like that come out.

I didn't think so. I know what little I know from a fellow watercraft CM I'd go with that's been going weekly for years. It's like an information overload when I go with him.

Next year is gonna be a big one for Universal. I can't wait to go back:)

goodtimes said:
As for DHS they pull you into a room, shake you, and say "HEY, this is what its all about!" Universal (to my knowledge) has never done a good job of this and it is the reason why I said the theming (arangement of each ride, not how the rides are aranged in the park), is better in Dis
Men In Black?
The Simpsons Ride?
I haven't spend much time in Mummy's queue, but it's amazing.
Spiderman?
Dueling Dragons queue did do that. I imagine the Potter overlay will make it easier for the Disney enthusiasts to swallow theming wise.

goodtimes5286

I didn't think so. I know what little I know from a fellow watercraft CM I'd go with that's been going weekly for years. It's like an information overload when I go with him.

Next year is gonna be a big one for Universal. I can't wait to go back:)

Men In Black?
The Simpsons Ride?
I haven't spend much time in Mummy's queue, but it's amazing.
Spiderman?
Dueling Dragons queue did do that. I imagine the Potter overlay will make it easier for the Disney enthusiasts to swallow theming wise.

MIB, eh. Neva been on the simpsons ride. Mummy (like I said) looks nice, but doesnt tell a tale. Spiderman, does a pretty good job. What is dueling dragons about then, because I've been on the ride probably around 50 times (even in the rain n its the BEST in the rain) and I dont once remember them telling what the ride is all about. N im hoping your right about potter, but I haven't seen any of the movies soooo, I can't see myself going in there till all the movies are out n I have a day that I can just take off n watch them all.

So I'll give you MIB, Simpsons, n Spiderman...... not bad for 2 parks....I guess

Figment1986

Most of universal is done with a great story going into each attraction...

Usually if the queue is long enough you will understand it especually at islands of adventure. Now if you use universal express you miss the intro to the story in many cases and then you dont know what is going on. Example: MIB, Mummy, Duling Dragons. Others is they have a large preshow room right before that will help tell most of the story.

I am tired of the subjects on comparing the mouse to the globe...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom