Universal vs. Disney

Jimmy Thick

Disney needs Universal, as Universal needs Disney.

Or I should say we, as consumers and vacationers need them to compete for our dollar. The minute one overtakes the other, we lose. If you think new rides are slow now, if Disney took Universal out, we wouldn't see new things much, if at all.

Don't bash one or the other, respect them both and enjoy what they offer.

Duckberg

DISNEY International/UNIVERSAL Local

UNTIL 2009,

Been suggested WDW in dealing with a
2009 economy :brick:will have to get more
local/regional to draw in visitors.

Universal imo has always been a local/
regional draw. WDW should take some
hints from them in creating more of an
avaible adult nightlife @ WDW :confused:

Duckberg ;)

tomman710

Can someone explain to me why Universal is always touted as a "thrill park" over Disney, especially when I currently count more "thrill" rides at Disney World than I do at Universal Orlando? And I will just count coasters and similar attractions, not counting water rides or motion simulators.

Disney - Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, RNRC, Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest

Universal - Hulk, Mummy, Dr. Doom, Dueling Dragons ... and then next Spring Rip Ride Rockit ...

So only this Spring will Universal have just reached the same amount of "thrill" rides as Disney ... and even if you count the motion simulators, like Spider-Man and Mission:Space, and/or water coasters then Disney still has the edge.

I just don't get the general consensus that Universal is the massive "thrill" park ... if anything Busch Gardens is the real "thrill" park.

I think this debate is not really fair to Universal, because honestly I am a fan of Universal but they aren't in the same league as Disney. It's like comparing the New York Yankees to my nephew's tee ball team. They may be champions of their tee ball league but come on they don't belong in Yankee stadium playing a game of major league baseball.

I can't wait for Universal's new attractions but let's give them a break, they don't deserve to be compared against Disney.

krankenstein

Can someone explain to me why Universal is always touted as a "thrill park" over Disney, especially when I currently count more "thrill" rides at Disney World than I do at Universal Orlando? And I will just count coasters and similar attractions, not counting water rides or motion simulators.

Disney - Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, RNRC, Tower of Terror, Expedition Everest

Universal - Hulk, Mummy, Dr. Doom, Dueling Dragons ... and then next Spring Rip Ride Rockit ...

So only this Spring will Universal have just reached the same amount of "thrill" rides as Disney ... and even if you count the motion simulators, like Spider-Man and Mission:Space, and/or water coasters then Disney still has the edge.

I just don't get the general consensus that Universal is the massive "thrill" park ... if anything Busch Gardens is the real "thrill" park.

I think this debate is not really fair to Universal, because honestly I am a fan of Universal but they aren't in the same league as Disney. It's like comparing the New York Yankees to my nephew's tee ball team. They may be champions of their tee ball league but come on they don't belong in Yankee stadium playing a game of major league baseball.

I can't wait for Universal's new attractions but let's give them a break, they don't deserve to be compared against Disney.

It is one of the mysteries of the Disney fan sites. :lol:

The_CEO

So only this Spring will Universal have just reached the same amount of "thrill" rides as Disney ...

To be politically correct -

DD has two SEPARATE roller coasters, thas making them both 5, according to your list.

Yes, but that's just a mirror image, not quite two different ride experiences like dragons. Matterhorn would be more classified as 2 coasters rather than space would.

The reason why Disney fans call Universal the 'thrill' park is because they see it as inferior as a Six Flags park, and if it's like Six Flags, then it must be just thrills and no immersive dark rides or shows. After they make this assumption, they don't need to do any further research, because they already know "it's not worth it since Disney has everything" and unfortunately it's that mentality that hurts Disney because Disney knows they'll be back for more and more, and Disney doesn't have to put much effort into trying to bring them back, because they know they'll be back year after year, no matter how high ticket prices get, or how lame their 'new' attractions or renamed parades or fireworks get, they'll still come back.

whylightbulb

Actually I don't think you give Universal enough credit. Spiderman can easily compete with any Disney attraction in most categories. IOA's beauty and level of detail far surpasses most of Disney's Florida offerings. Simpsons is the best simulator in my opinion. MIB is leaps and bounds better over Buzz Lightyear. The only category that Disney has Universal beat in is bombarding its visitors with the Disney brand "magic." Without that, and comparing entertainment for entertainment, Universal is easily in the same league and in some cases comes out the winner in my opinion.

Once HP opens Universal will once again raise the bar beyond Spiderman. Disney is still stuck in their rut with garbage such as Nemo ride, Stitch and Laugh Floor. I know, universal has their lackluster attractions as well but for the most part, looking at ratios, Universal comes out ahead or at least is easily worthy of comparison.

hokielutz

Same can be said with TSM. When people were saying it was Disney's answer to Spiderman and coming up with an updated Buzz Lightyear, this one had me excited but was more of a letdown. Sure the technology to create this game (not quite calling it a ride) is impressive, but I felt they were lacking in story and theming in the attraction itself. Some people might like the queue with the assortment of giant toys and a talking potato, while once again, is a neat addition, I just don't really call that well themed IMO. I feel that Disney could have put more thought into this attraction, but like many of the other new additions, took the easy way out.

Too bad I can't comment on TSM....

...Not until this Saturday... :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

3 work days left until a Friday Drive to Orlando!!

tomman710

Actually I don't think you give Universal enough credit.

I think I do when talking about the entire experience from beginning to end. To your point ... I'd take Toy Story Mania and/or Buzz over MIB ... TSM because obviously the experience and tech is light years past MIB and Buzz because its entirely more relevant in terms of characters and stories I personally care about.

I love about 50% of the attractions at Universal and ultimately I think what holds me back from loving Universal is their lack of iconic characters or even characters I care about. This is just me speaking personally, of course, but I don't care about Jimmy Neutron, Shrek, MIB, Fear Factor, Twister, or the new Mummy (had they made it the classic Mummy, then we might have had something.)

But I give them credit for what they do, they have some fun and it's a great diversion when I want to get out of the super high quality totally immersive Disney experience and high crowds ... Universal is great for that, and for that I am thankful for their existence. I can't wait to check out Harry Potter and Rip Rockit.

I think I do when talking about the entire experience from beginning to end. To your point ... I'd take Toy Story Mania and/or Buzz over MIB ... TSM because obviously the experience and tech is light years past MIB and Buzz because its entirely more relevant in terms of characters and stories I personally care about.

So you'll take a glorified Wii game over a fully immersive dark ride with a gun that isn't bolted to the car? It must be nice for Disney to use characters you all know so well and love and create decent new attractions. I know TSM wasn't supposted to be an E-ticket, but for all the buzz it's been getting, it sounds like people are giving it E-ticket status when it really wasn't supposted to be. Yes, it's fun, but is nowhere near MIB when it comes to overall experience, theme, and story. TSM = game, MIB = ride.

I love about 50% of the attractions at Universal and ultimately I think what holds me back from loving Universal is their lack of iconic characters or even characters I care about. This is just me speaking personally, of course, but I don't care about Jimmy Neutron, Shrek, MIB, Fear Factor, Twister, or the new Mummy (had they made it the classic Mummy, then we might have had something.)

I love about 50% of Disney attractions as well, there's just something about all those attractions and shows that lack in the storytelling dept. or those that are targetted to a much younger audience rather than overall family appeal. I'm not knocking on all the kiddie rides or shows, but it seems that's what Disney's idea of "family friendly" is.

As for your list of attractions that you could care less at Universal, I somewhat agree there. Those attractions aren't as great as what they replaced, but since MIB was a brand new building, and is a great addition, it shouldn't be on that list at all. Fear Factor was a bad and cheaply made choice of an attraction, and you can thank their newly made ties with NBC for that. Shrek and Jimmy are another Disney move where they have characters that you would know and hopefully love so that way you can come and see them and ride their rides. Twister is a great attraction that is overlooked because it isn't a ride, and I don't think many people can care to see that much Bill Paxton. But I feel that with all these attractions, they have put more effort into them than Disney does their newer attractions.

But I give them credit for what they do, they have some fun and it's a great diversion when I want to get out of the super high quality totally immersive Disney experience and high crowds ... Universal is great for that, and for that I am thankful for their existence. I can't wait to check out Harry Potter and Rip Rockit.

You give them credit, but yet you slam them by saying they're nowhere near Disney, and in a way, you're right. Universal does it right, Disney does it decent but since it's "Disney" you automatically think quality and therefore overlook where Disney has severly shortchanged you. I look forward to what you have to say about Harry Potter and Rockit, and I'm already going to assume you're going to say they lack as well and aren't Disney.

hokielutz

Yeah, but The Park Formerly Known as the Disney-MGM Studios once was a whole lot more cohesive itself.

It's become a mess over the past decade, no doubt about it.

Nothing says that more than a huge cartoon hat just plopped down in the middle to sell pins. Magical.

I thought the Magic hat was plopped down because of legal issues Disney ran into due to the use of the image of the Chinese Theatre in their photographs?

I thought the Magic hat was plopped down because of legal issues Disney ran into due to the use of the image of the Chinese Theatre in their photographs?

True, but the "magic" comes in how Disney convinces us that this is a good thing! "Well, when you think of the MK, you think of the castle, Epcot has SSE, and AK has the tree. What do you think of MGM? The Earful tower? ToT? Chinese Theatre? MGM doesn't have an actual icon, so we decided to build one instead, which was the hat." And of course, they also said this was a great central location for pins. They never really said anything about the legal issues, but instead came up with other reasons why they had to block the view. I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather Disney just tell us exactly what's going on, rather than beating around the bush and coming up with lame false excuses to soften the blow.

hokielutz

True, but the "magic" comes in how Disney convinces us that this is a good thing! "Well, when you think of the MK, you think of the castle, Epcot has SSE, and AK has the tree. What do you think of MGM? The Earful tower? ToT? Chinese Theatre? MGM doesn't have an actual icon, so we decided to build one instead, which was the hat." And of course, they also said this was a great central location for pins. They never really said anything about the legal issues, but instead came up with other reasons why they had to block the view. I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather Disney just tell us exactly what's going on, rather than beating around the bush and coming up with lame false excuses to soften the blow.

For a time, I believe the Ear Water Tower was essentially the symbol in the beginning.

Also, Disney does not have to publicly disclose legal issues they are experiencing via an announcement or bilboard posting (yes this is extreme example). Just as Universal doesn't have to come out an apologize and explain why its park visitor numbers were decreasing/stagnant in recent years. So to remedy the situation at what was MGM, Eisner's administration came up with the Sorcerer's Hat as the unifying symbol that would adorn all their in-Park processed group photos.

Unless someone can come up with a better symbol and make a compelling business case to Iger to change it (cause we all know the park pres. and VPs won't do it.), then we are stuck with the hat.

LOL, I don't think Universal will ever say "I'm sorry you didn't have to wait over an hour for all our attractions, here's a coupon for a free popcorn" :p

Yes, the tower was the icon for the park, but wasn't that big of an icon as the castle or SSE. Anyways, I could care less what the real reason why the hat went up, the point is that how Disney manipulates these updates they do or have to do to make them sound like the best decision ever made is what bugs me. From what I've heard, they didn't do the tree lighting at Epcot "because it was a crowd hazard" or something along those lines, when in fact it was just another cut due to the economy. If they're going to make a cut, say it's because they can't afford to, rather than say "oh, well this event creates a safety hazard to the guests and we can't do this anymore" when it didn't stop them before. Well, if the tree lighting creates crowd hazards like that, then why don't they stop the dancing lights at MGM?

hokielutz

Now I will admit that what I am about to write I have said this before and I will say it again here.

The problem that Universal and IOA has, is its rides and in part attractions and shows are based on movies or shows from recent memory. Hardly any of their attractions are using something that is universally known like an old fairy tale and story that we grew up loving like Snow White, Pooh, or Peter Pan. Also Universal is using material and characters that they do not have sole license to use. Most is contracted to be used in their parks as part of a ride, but the true owner of the character, movie, story, is not the parent company of the Univeral Park. Because of this, IMHO, rides at Univ/IOA are destined to turnover more frequently than any proprietary material at Disney. Eventually, sub-licensing contracts run out, and/or attractions that were once part of the current pop culture, loose their fizz.

Captain Chaos

LOL, I don't think Universal will ever say "I'm sorry you didn't have to wait over an hour for all our attractions, here's a coupon for a free popcorn" :p

Well, if the tree lighting creates crowd hazards like that, then why don't they stop the dancing lights at MGM?

Shhh, Disney is listening, or reading in this case... :ROFLOL:

One other thing Universal doesn't do is try to keep customers... :)
After I lodged my complaint, I requested to cancel my AP.. Now, most good business savy people would do anything to keep the customer... Not there.. They cancelled the AP right away and gave this attitude of BEGONE FROM HERE.. WE RATHER NO BUSINESS THAN MORE BUSINESS.. Which I think is very poor business... I cannot picture Disney, Six Flags, or SeaWorld treating a guest like that... :)

Remember, I did cancel mostly because I knew I was finished with yearly Universal visits... Why pay when I don't plan on attending year after year like I originally was going to do? But I was shocked when they didn't even try to convince me otherwise.

Frank Stallone

Universal=A nice one day diversion from WDW while on vacation.

Disney=The reason people travel to Orlando.

Universal has, and will continue to be "the other park in Orlando we can visit for a day while on a Disney trip."

4-5 days at Disney vs. 1 day at Universal.

Although I lost faith in humanity the day I rode Dr. Doom's Fear Fall and spotted Wolverine backstage having a smoke.

Captain Chaos

Universal has, and will continue to be "the other park in Orlando we can visit for a day while on a Disney trip."

Although I lost faith in humanity the day I rode Dr. Doom's Fear Fall and spotted Wolverine backstage having a smoke.

SeaWorld = a nice one day diversion from Disney World.. Heck, there are a ton of things in Florida that I would put ahead of Universal as a nice 1 day diversion...

And afterall, Wolverine is the mutant with his own rules :lol:

krankenstein

Wolverine smoked in the comic books and the movies. I fail to see the problem. :lol:

It's only a joke. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom