Universal vs. Disney

CaptainMichael

Theme ≠ Story

The broad idea, theme, of Dueling Dragons is pretty clear.

Exactly. Throughout the queue you receive physical (frozen and burned knights) and verbal warnings to turn back, etc. there are two fierce dragons. I've never seen the video, but I'm sure that further enhances the story. Then, you get to the end and you pick your poison, will you do battle with fire or with ice. Sure, there's no theming around the track, but it would be wasted on this coaster anyway. The only thing that would have made it better would have been trees/landscaping.

I'll be sad to see Lost Continent go. I wish it and Harry Potter could co-exist both in their full capacities.

goodtimes5286

Thanx for the article it was PRO!

Theme ≠ Story

The broad idea, theme, of Dueling Dragons is pretty clear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenge_of_the_Mummy_(Florida)#Ride

The theme is EVERYTHING the story for why you are doing what your doing. Going into a castle n then jumping on dragons isnt a THEME, it has a really nice look but its not a theme (plus with the article I read they dont even have a theme they just steal from Disney :))

Tru tru tru, I dont know why I never realized all of that stuff :shrug:. I mean I remember them talking, but I guess I just never pieced it togethor, I was probably expecting more from the pre-ride.

so are we up to 4 in 2 parks?

goodtimes5286

Exactly. Throughout the queue you receive physical (frozen and burned knights) and verbal warnings to turn back, etc. there are two fierce dragons. I've never seen the video, but I'm sure that further enhances the story. Then, you get to the end and you pick your poison, will you do battle with fire or with ice. Sure, there's no theming around the track, but it would be wasted on this coaster anyway. The only thing that would have made it better would have been trees/landscaping.

People telling you to go back?? I remember crap on the walls and stuff like that, but there's a video? None that I can remember and I've ridden that ride a TON of times. Maybe if they actually had a video, or a screen I'd notice something. Also (now that I'm thinking about the line), I don't ever remember really waiting in any area, I just kind of wiz bang, get through and go on the ride. But this is where Disney doesn't fall short, even with no lines people STILL get the theme and understand what's going on as opposed to a mindless thrill ride

Also I gotta agree, landscaping/artistry on the track would b a waste. The coasters are dragons and they're cool, but I just don't know how that connects (besides to the name) because they never tell it to you

CaptainMichael

There are more.

People telling you to go back?? I remember crap on the walls and stuff like that, but there's a video? None that I can remember and I've ridden that ride a TON of times. Maybe if they actually had a video, or a screen I'd notice something. Also (now that I'm thinking about the line), I don't ever remember really waiting in any area, I just kind of wiz bang, get through and go on the ride. But this is where Disney doesn't fall short, even with no lines people STILL get the theme and understand what's going on as opposed to a mindless thrill ride

Merlin tells you to go back. I've never seen the video which is in the form of a stained glass window when you first enter the castle.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Thanx for the article it was PRO!

The theme is EVERYTHING the story for why you are doing what your doing. Going into a castle n then jumping on dragons isnt a THEME, it has a really nice look but its not a theme (plus with the article I read they dont even have a theme they just steal from Disney :))

Tru tru tru, I dont know why I never realized all of that stuff :shrug:. I mean I remember them talking, but I guess I just never pieced it togethor, I was probably expecting more from the pre-ride.

:rolleyes:

Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast - you're joining Neutron & Carl on their mission to capture the Mark IV rocket from Ooblar. Explained in preshow.

Shrek 4D - Farquaad's back and he's going after Shrek & Fiona. Explained in preshow.

T2:3D - you're at Cyberdyne Systems to see their latest creation. Explained in preshow.

E.T. Adventure - you're helping E.T. get back to his home planet. Explained in preshow.

The Simpsons Ride - Sideshow Bob forces you and the Simpsons onto a not-so-stable ride at Krustyland. Explained in preshow.

Men In Black Alien Attack - you're going through MIB training. Explained in preshow (well, not really a preshow, but it gets the job done).

Jaws - you're taking a tour on Captain Jake's Amity Boat Tours. It's pretty self-explanatory, like the Jungle Cruise.

Disaster - you're helping Frank Kincaid and Disaster Studios out with filming for their latest disaster film. Explained in multiple preshows.

Revenge of the Mummy - you're on the set of the latest Mummy film which is apparently cursed. This one is a bit flawed as there's no room to get the story out of. The queue video monitors tell the story, but once you're in the tomb area you might not know what it's about. This is a bit iffy, and even I'll admit that.

Twister - shows how the film was created and all that. Explained in multiple preshows.

Incredible Hulk Coaster - I'll give you this one as I don't even know a whole lot about it's story. Basically I've never waited in the stand-by queue long enough to watch everything on the monitors. However, Wikipedia says "Volunteers enter the lab of Bruce Banner with many televisions showing the story of the Hulk. Bruce is now trying to find a way to reverse the effects, which the guests are about to take part in."

Storm Force Accelatron - Storm explains why you're on the ride before it begins.

Dr. Doom's Fearfall - Dr. Doom needs "fear juice" from riders in order to kill the Fantastic Four. Explained in preshow.

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man - you're at the Daily Bugle and will be testing their latest news reporting vehicle. No set preshow but the idea is picked up through video monitors and the highly-detailed queue.

Dudley Do-Right's and Popeye & Bluto's may not have preshows but they're no different than Splash Mountain in the fact that you're just going by scenes.

Jurassic Park River Adventure - river tour through Jurassic Park. No preshow but self-explanatory.

Dueling Dragons - STR8FAN2005 explained this one. Apparently the Potter re-theme of it will have a set preshow too.

Poseidon's Fury - you're touring the ancient ruins. Explained in preshow.

The Cat in the Hat - typical dark ride. No preshow necessary.

Here's a good definition for what I consider a theme to be--

Theme:
* a theme is a broad idea in a story, or a message or lesson conveyed by a work. This message is usually about life, society or human nature. Themes explore timeless and universal ideas. Most themes are implied rather than explicitly stated.
* a topic; a recurring idea; a motif

Notice it says "a" not "the", a story can have many themes. Given that definition, what Str8fan2005 described (very well I would add) is certainly a theme. As for theming:

Theming:
the use of an overarching theme, such as western, to create a holistic and integrated spatial organization of a consumer venue.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Also I gotta agree, landscaping/artistry on the track would b a waste. The coasters are dragons and they're cool, but I just don't know how that connects (besides to the name) because they never tell it to you

Wow, you missed a lot then. The DD queue kicks you over the head with details. First there is a room on the right there are 3 stained glass windows that turn into a film describing the storyline. Initially this was a holding room for guests to watch IIRC, but they soon just let people walk by if they chose.

Next, as you're going straight, you head into a room that had rather loud mystical music, merlin speaks to you and you see a large book with writings about the dragons. Then you approach the walls and again there is writing, verses about what happened to past knights who have tried to slay the dragons and Merlin telling you to turn back because no one has been able to defeat them on their quest to destroy each other and everything else.

The rest of it is the past victims, one still stuck in the castle who tries to beat the door down, and more words of warning made by bones.

If that's not enough of theming on the ride, then how about this. As you approach the coasters, look on the front row of each of them, you'll notice the front row has pink handlebars and IIRC, seats. That's the dragon's tongue.

So after all of this you're still thinking that the coaster is outside and that's where the theming ends....and this is where I go into describing how Universal had a choice. They could have tried to enclose it, but think of how difficult that would be on such a massive layout. The more track you have, the more difficult it is to cover a coaster such as that.

Universal could have gone with smaller, more tame coasters like Disney does, but they wouldn't get the market they wanted, and until recently (read: after IOA opened) that Disney had not catered to.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
One more thing I'd like to mention about the things Universal does better than Disney....opening a new park with a full day's worth of attractions. Compare when MGM Studios opened to Universal, and say, Animal Kingdom to when IOA opened.

Disney still seems to keep doing the same thing, MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, Disney Studios Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland, all have a severe shortage of attractions vs. what Universal does when it opens new parks.

The one time that Disney hasn't done that recently, DCA, has lots of attractions but not the expected Disney quality and was widely criticized because of it.

When Universal decides to open a new park, like they're doing right now in Singapore and Dubai, and possibly South Korea, I can bet you that all of them will have plenty of attractions to keep guests busy all day.

krankenstein

And Univeral Studios puts DHS to shame theming wise...big time.

I agree. :wave:

Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast - you're joining Neutron & Carl on their mission to capture the Mark IV rocket from Ooblar. Explained in preshow.

Shrek 4D - Farquaad's back and he's going after Shrek & Fiona. Explained in preshow.

T2:3D - you're at Cyberdyne Systems to see their latest creation. Explained in preshow.

E.T. Adventure - you're helping E.T. get back to his home planet. Explained in preshow.

The Simpsons Ride - Sideshow Bob forces you and the Simpsons onto a not-so-stable ride at Krustyland. Explained in preshow.

Men In Black Alien Attack - you're going through MIB training. Explained in preshow (well, not really a preshow, but it gets the job done).

Jaws - you're taking a tour on Captain Jake's Amity Boat Tours. It's pretty self-explanatory, like the Jungle Cruise.

Disaster - you're helping Frank Kincaid and Disaster Studios out with filming for their latest disaster film. Explained in multiple preshows.

Revenge of the Mummy - you're on the set of the latest Mummy film which is apparently cursed. This one is a bit flawed as there's no room to get the story out of. The queue video monitors tell the story, but once you're in the tomb area you might not know what it's about. This is a bit iffy, and even I'll admit that.

Twister - shows how the film was created and all that. Explained in multiple preshows.

Incredible Hulk Coaster - I'll give you this one as I don't even know a whole lot about it's story. Basically I've never waited in the stand-by queue long enough to watch everything on the monitors. However, Wikipedia says "Volunteers enter the lab of Bruce Banner with many televisions showing the story of the Hulk. Bruce is now trying to find a way to reverse the effects, which the guests are about to take part in."

Storm Force Accelatron - Storm explains why you're on the ride before it begins.

Dr. Doom's Fearfall - Dr. Doom needs "fear juice" from riders in order to kill the Fantastic Four. Explained in preshow.

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man - you're at the Daily Bugle and will be testing their latest news reporting vehicle. No set preshow but the idea is picked up through video monitors and the highly-detailed queue.

Dudley Do-Right's and Popeye & Bluto's may not have preshows but they're no different than Splash Mountain in the fact that you're just going by scenes.

Jurassic Park River Adventure - river tour through Jurassic Park. No preshow but self-explanatory.

Dueling Dragons - STR8FAN2005 explained this one. Apparently the Potter re-theme of it will have a set preshow too.

Excellent post! I just want to add that the difference with Universal and Disney is that you have to pay attention to the details while in line. Universal doesn't feel the need to place in a holding cell, slap you in the face and explain every facet of the story going on around you. They expect you to be intelligent enough to decipher the information from the queue area. The problem is, most guest do not absorb the details. BTW, I totally understood the back story of The Hulk after a few rides. It is very clearly told, if you pay attention.

I love Disney, but Universal is amazing too. Both facilities can amaze you with details, if you take the time to allow them it.

Captain Chaos

So you cancelled your AP because of a few employees on one visit?

No. I cancelled my AP because of a lot of employees over many trips. I never let the attitudes and rudeness get to me before, I always tried to ignore it. But, when you talk down to me like I have no brain, when you treat me like I have no clue on life, and when you are a manager and you act like my business is not desired, then yes, I will cancel my AP.

Why would I pay for a service when my business is not wanted? The decision to cancel my AP came down to money, mostly.

Please, don't take this as a slight to every employee at Universal. I have run into a lot of wonderful employees there.

wvdisneyfamily

Although I do respect your opinion about not wanting thrills, I do wonder why rule out the rest of Universal and Sea World because of their thrill rides? How are you on Dinosaur at AK? If you can handle that, you could pretty much handle just about anything non-coaster related at both parks, the exceptions would be of course Dudley DooRight's (log flume) and JPRA (splash boats) due to their more intense drops. I'm not a thrill rider myself, and I think you would be missing out on a lot more if you choose to skip Universal because you don't want another scary thrill ride. If you did your homework as you said, you would have noticed several shows and the other attractions that aren't as thrilling as you'd like to avoid. Something they probably haven't mentioned is their awesome theming at IOA that is worth a trip in itself just to walk around the park and take in the theming. I'm not sure if you'd even consider checking out a kid's play area, but I'd say if you do like to do some exploring similar in fashion of Tom Sawyer's Island, check out Camp Jurassic, great overlooked kid's area. As you said, you have no idea how Universal is, and it doesn't seem like you're at all interested. Give it a shot, chances are you might enjoy yourself there just as much as you enjoy Disney.

A lot of the rides do interest me. I am a huge fan of The Mummy movies and would like to ride that ride. I made a list once of the rides that I would like to experience. My husband (whose been there) and I discussed them. The list was basically right down the middle. The addition of Harry Potter may tilt the list enough for me to go there, especially if I am ever blessed enough to have children.
I had to wait a LOOOOONG time to get to go to WDW. I'm sure part of that is why I am so reluctant to share any of my Disney time with other Orlando attractions. However, again, I won't rule it out completely. The only thing I've ever ruled out 100% without doubt is water parks. I have my Irish ancestors to thank for that though. :ROFLOL: I wear several coats of SPF 85 (it's the Neutrogena Helioplex) in the parks with visors, hats, ears, etc... while taking in lots of indoor attractions during the heat of the day and keep myself fairly unscathed. I don't think there's a sunblock strong enough to save me at the water parks.

A lot of the rides do interest me. I am a huge fan of The Mummy movies and would like to ride that ride. I made a list once of the rides that I would like to experience. My husband (whose been there) and I discussed them. The list was basically right down the middle. The addition of Harry Potter may tilt the list enough for me to go there, especially if I am ever blessed enough to have children.
I had to wait a LOOOOONG time to get to go to WDW. I'm sure part of that is why I am so reluctant to share any of my Disney time with other Orlando attractions. However, again, I won't rule it out completely. The only thing I've ever ruled out 100% without doubt is water parks. I have my Irish ancestors to thank for that though. :ROFLOL: I wear several coats of SPF 85 (it's the Neutrogena Helioplex) in the parks with visors, hats, ears, etc... while taking in lots of indoor attractions during the heat of the day and keep myself fairly unscathed. I don't think there's a sunblock strong enough to save me at the water parks.

The Mummy is part coaster, similar to RnRR but without the inversions. I think you said you were able to do RnRR, so this shouldn't be a problem. So you made a list of the rides, were you interested in seeing the shows there as well? Horror Makeup Show? Blues Brothers? 8th Voyage of Sinbad? Beetlejuice's Graveyard Review? And if you did want to experience a water park but not stay out in the sun, go ride Popeye's bilge rat barges, it's a whitewater raft ride that will soak you head to toe no matter where you sit, unlike a few sprinkles at Kali in AK. I think it is smart to wait until HP is done, since I'm sure that is going to be huge, and you probably wouldn't want to see both parks under construction on your first visit.

goodtimes5286

I stand corrected, you are right Universal does have theming. I guess I never noticed or realized BECAUSE they dont beat you over the head with that, and personally I like that, maybe I'm a moron (with a 135 IQ), but for some reason I NEED them to MAKE me know what its all about. Like most of the stuff you mentioned, if I really thought about it then yeah, I could figure out what it's about, but I just dont want that. I want to be told I want to be catered too and feel like I'm in my own magical world, not a theme park. Maybe this is the 'magic' people are talking about, they take you away from where you think you are, and emerce you in the world that is Disney (or worlds if you will because every ride feels like it's own world or an invitation to other worlds [TTA, I cant forget my TTA <3]).

I've never really thought in depth about all of this stuff (not just Universal vs Disney, EVERYTHING Disney), I just kinda waited till I saw something and then bam I took notice. I think that Disney does a better job at getting you to take notice as opposed to just putting it around and letting you see what you catch. And I guess alot of people WOULDN'T like the in your face, must see T.V.'s, b/c it probably gets anoying (for some) after a while. Seeing the same pre ride over and over and over again, but that's where the magic happens for me. I'm no longer in TL, I'm in monstropolis, I'm not in Dinoland USA, I'm trying to help Dr.? get his dinosaur back in the mesosoic (or whichever) era, I'm at a GM test facility testing out cars to make sure that they are suitable for the road, and there are even a few suprise tests (and she picks the SAME ONE everytime, but thats fine with me because I LOVE crashing into walls and I still get a chuckle from it everytime), etc etc.

As for the AP thing, I think the only reason I got one was because it was so cheep, and I keep renewing it because it just auto goes off the credit card (and it's still cheep). If Disney's annual pass was $89 to renew, or even $140 (I think they are now w/ blackout dates), I'd buy. Or if there prices stayed the same for the annual pass, but they got rid of the MASSIVE blackout dates (aka june july august), I'd STILL buy, because it would be a deal, even if I never used it (like my universal pass). I know that probably doesn't make alot of sence, but just having a Disney annual pass would feel like something empowering. Like I could go up to Disney ANYTIME I want (ofcourse then they take my money for overpriced food, merchendise, friends that come to the parks, and hotel; but Disney doesn't think about all of those things or else they would be making there AP's universal style cheep)!

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I stand corrected, you are right Universal does have theming. I guess I never noticed or realized BECAUSE they dont beat you over the head with that, and personally I like that, maybe I'm a moron (with a 135 IQ), but for some reason I NEED them to MAKE me know what its all about. Like most of the stuff you mentioned, if I really thought about it then yeah, I could figure out what it's about, but I just dont want that. I want to be told I want to be catered too and feel like I'm in my own magical world, not a theme park. Maybe this is the 'magic' people are talking about, they take you away from where you think you are, and emerce you in the world that is Disney (or worlds if you will because every ride feels like it's own world or an invitation to other worlds [TTA, I cant forget my TTA <3]).

In these cases you are either stuffed into a room and forced to watch a preshow, like you like it, or a preshow isn't necessary and they run without one like similar rides at WDW.

In most instances, the preshows are used as a way to easily control the guest flow, as well as catch everyone else up in case they haven't seen the related film before visiting the park. There are several attractions where a preshow isn't really necessary, such as Dinosaur. I think it's a weak way of linking the museum part to the loading area, and could have been done similar to that of Spiderman where they have the queue going from room to room rather than just one large room to a preshow, to a smaller queue to the loading area.

MIB's preshow is needed to advance the story, because you are really there to see "The Universe and You" exhibit, but get ushered into a secret elevator into hidden MIB headquarters where you are put to the test, and then at the end of the ride, get flashed and get sent back to the "end" of "The Universe and You" (note the differences of the look of the load vs. the unload rooms)

mcjaco

There are several attractions where a preshow isn't really necessary, such as Dinosaur. I think it's a weak way of linking the museum part to the loading area, and could have been done similar to that of Spiderman where they have the queue going from room to room rather than just one large room to a preshow, to a smaller queue to the loading area.

How is it not necessary? They explain the whole point of you needing to get into the time machine.

The only way the preshow wouldn't be necessary for Dinosaur is to tell you via a large sign, "Turn around. This ride stinks."

How is it not necessary? They explain the whole point of you needing to get into the time machine.

The only way the preshow wouldn't be necessary for Dinosaur is to tell you via a large sign, "Turn around. This ride stinks."

They could have several monitors set up as if they were part of a museum set up, or pass by some offices or even walk inside one office (as part of the queue) and every so often, you'll hear or see some 'secret mission' going on that you are going to be a part of, but that quickly disappears when you hear a knock on the door which could be his boss checking in on him, at which case, the screens would go to some spreadsheet, or schematics of the ride vehicle or safety instructions. And in case people have missed this information, they'll be another set of monitors just before you board warning about the turbulant ride, buckle up, go find that dino, we're counting on you!

PintoColvig

One party or the other--Universal or Disney--needs to launch a few rockets at the other and make this a proper dispute.

And for all those who lament another Disney v. Universal thread, you know you secretly love 'em. It's why you keep posting on them.

As for me, I've never been to Uni but have every intention of doing so at some point just not right now. With the MYW tickets for lengthy trips making per-day costs very reasonable plus my inability to see/do everything at WDW that I want to on most trips, I'm sticking with Disney only for now. I AM itching to ride Spiderman though so I'll probably make to Uni in due time.

agent86

And for all those who lament another Disney v. Universal thread, you know you secretly love 'em. It's why you keep posting on them.

:ROFLOL: Yeah, I always get a laugh from the posters who will take the time to open a thread, read it, and post a remark that the thread should be moved or closed. Apparently, someone is holding a gun to those people's heads and forcing them to read the threads against their will. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom