Universal vs. Disney

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think it's hard for members here to admit how great Universal is, because they're probably afraid that doing so is going to make them disloyal to Disney somehow. Also, I really think a lot of hardcore Disney fans see Universal as the first real threat to Disney's position as the top dog in Orlando. I think that to a lot of people, there is a certain amount of pride that comes with being able to point out, "Hey you know that thing that I'm really fanatical about? Well check it out, it's the number one of it's type in the world!" With Universal as one of the players in town, that may not be the case forever.

So you're basically saying ignorance is bliss, if they don't know about Universal and how it is superior in some ways Disney is not, then they'll believe that anything Disney is truely the best, no matter what garbage Disney might come out with next. In a way, I don't mind the shorter lines at Universal, but that basically means Universal isn't drawing enough people it wants to keep itself afloat and therefore has to cut costs to keep the gates open. It's sad to see closed down buildings that used to be a resteraunt or shop or even attraction because they had to cut costs. Because of this, the average Disney fan that does want to give Universal a try would see some of these closed down areas and would get a bad first impression of the place. It also doesn't help how they have to keep comparing it to Disney, think "Well, Disney would have done it this way . . ." or even just focusing on how they'll have more fun at Disney the next day and not having fun at the parks right then and there. If Universal goes under, Disney wouldn't have a reason to do anything special to WDW anymore because it's the "world" and most visited of all Disney parks. I feel the parks are already lacking, and some of you agree with that, just imagine how Disney would let them slack even more if there was no nearby competition? Scary.

agent86

So you're basically saying ignorance is bliss, if they don't know about Universal and how it is superior in some ways Disney is not, then they'll believe that anything Disney is truely the best, no matter what garbage Disney might come out with next.

Not so much that ignorance is bliss, although that may very well be part of it too. I think its more a case of a lot of Disney fans not wanting to admit to themselves that Universal really has a great quality product that rivals (and even surpasses in MANY cases) Disney.

Missing20K

I thought there might be news or rumors in this thread. But alas, just the same regurgitated Universal vs. Disney arguments. They seem to have taken on a life of their own. Seems like this thread would be better suited to chit/chat or discussion.

The thing is that Universal is not the same caliber of theme park as Disney. In terms of theming detail, Disney does it best. If you're looking for an escape from the real world , go to Disney World! If you're looking for the most straight out thrills, head on over to Universal!

wvdisneyfamily

I've never been to US or IoA (or Sea World or any other Orlando attraction). When I go to Orlando, I choose to spend 100% of my time at WDW. I don't hate, dislike, or want to bash any of the other parks in Orlando. They simply don't interest me like WDW does.

When I was younger, I went to Six Flags Atlanta and Busch Gardens in VA. I rode countless thrill rides there until I literally couldn't hold my head up. As I got older, I got sick of thrill parks.

Four years ago I supervised my 8th graders at King's Island. I rode Tomb Raider and spent the entire ride sure I was going to die. I prayed to get off of the dumb thing alive. Disney's thrill rides (with the exception of M:S orange) don't have that effect on me. I consider them tame thrill rides. Please don't think I mean that in a negative manner. It's just compared to some of the rides I rode in my teenage years, the Disney rides are mild. That works for me now. I like the thrill of Aerosmith and the ToT. They are enjoyable without maxing out my level of comfort.

I've studied and read about US and IoA. Some of the ride videos make me very uncomforatble. A few years ago, I would've been all about those parks. However, now, they just don't interest me. I resepct the technology and theming, but I think those parks would be a poor use of my time and money because of the ride preferences I've developed over the years. I could be completely wrong and the rides there may not bother me.

Plus, Disney still is magical to me. Despite all of the negativity surrounding it lately, Disney is as magical to me today as it was the first time I set eyes on the castle.

I've never been to US or IoA (or Sea World or any other Orlando attraction). When I go to Orlando, I choose to spend 100% of my time at WDW. I don't hate, dislike, or want to bash any of the other parks in Orlando. They simply don't interest me like WDW does.

When I was younger, I went to Six Flags Atlanta and Busch Gardens in VA. I rode countless thrill rides there until I literally couldn't hold my head up. As I got older, I got sick of thrill parks.

Four years ago I supervised my 8th graders at King's Island. I rode Tomb Raider and spent the entire ride sure I was going to die. I prayed to get off of the dumb thing alive. Disney's thrill rides (with the exception of M:S orange) don't have that effect on me. I consider them tame thrill rides. Please don't think I mean that in a negative manner. It's just compared to some of the rides I rode in my teenage years, the Disney rides are mild. That works for me now. I like the thrill of Aerosmith and the ToT. They are enjoyable without maxing out my level of comfort.

I've studied and read about US and IoA. Some of the ride videos make me very uncomforatble. A few years ago, I would've been all about those parks. However, now, they just don't interest me. I resepct the technology and theming, but I think those parks would be a poor use of my time and money because of the ride preferences I've developed over the years. I could be completely wrong and the rides there may not bother me.

Plus, Disney still is magical to me. Despite all of the negativity surrounding it lately, Disney is as magical to me today as it was the first time I set eyes on the castle.

Although I do respect your opinion about not wanting thrills, I do wonder why rule out the rest of Universal and Sea World because of their thrill rides? How are you on Dinosaur at AK? If you can handle that, you could pretty much handle just about anything non-coaster related at both parks, the exceptions would be of course Dudley DooRight's (log flume) and JPRA (splash boats) due to their more intense drops. I'm not a thrill rider myself, and I think you would be missing out on a lot more if you choose to skip Universal because you don't want another scary thrill ride. If you did your homework as you said, you would have noticed several shows and the other attractions that aren't as thrilling as you'd like to avoid. Something they probably haven't mentioned is their awesome theming at IOA that is worth a trip in itself just to walk around the park and take in the theming. I'm not sure if you'd even consider checking out a kid's play area, but I'd say if you do like to do some exploring similar in fashion of Tom Sawyer's Island, check out Camp Jurassic, great overlooked kid's area. As you said, you have no idea how Universal is, and it doesn't seem like you're at all interested. Give it a shot, chances are you might enjoy yourself there just as much as you enjoy Disney.

krankenstein

The thing is that Universal is not the same caliber of theme park as Disney. In terms of theming detail, Disney does it best. If you're looking for an escape from the real world , go to Disney World! If you're looking for the most straight out thrills, head on over to Universal!

I normally try to stay away from things like this, but IOA not as detailed as a Disney park???? That's laughable. IOA and DAK are the best themed parks in Florida. Go look at some pictures of IOA, it is absolutely stunning. :wave:

The thing is that Universal is not the same caliber of theme park as Disney. In terms of theming detail, Disney does it best.

Tell you what, go online and look at the pictures for the entrance plaza of Universal's Islands of Adventure (Port of Discovery) and the entrance plaza of Disney's California Adventure park.

Tell me which one you think has better detail.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Tell you what, go online and look at the pictures for the entrance plaza of Universal's Islands of Adventure (Port of Discovery) and the entrance plaza of Disney's California Adventure park.

Exactly, or compare different areas like the Jurassic park area in IOA to the DinoLand area at DAK and see which one is better themed.

Part of why I've been such a fan of Universal's projects like IOA is that I thought at one time that they would be exactly the kick that Disney needed to get them back on the track of producing the highest quality theme park experience....sadly it hasn't happened yet and we still have to venture to places like Tokyo to get that full Disney quality that used to exist in the U.S. parks.

teebin

Oh dear, where are you from, and have you ever been to Universal's IOA?

I normally try to stay away from things like this, but IOA not as detailed as a Disney park???? That's laughable. IOA and DAK are the best themed parks in Florida. Go look at some pictures of IOA, it is absolutely stunning. :wave:

Couldn't have said it better myself and yes I was holding my tongue too.

I thought I had died and gone to heaven or Myst the first time I entered IOA in 1999. The entrance corridor still mesmerizes me.

Exactly, or compare different areas like the Jurassic park area in IOA to the DinoLand area at DAK and see which one is better themed.

Jurassic transports to another place so fast you don't know what has hit you. Theming is not just carved concrete and wood cutouts. The landscaping in JP is idyllic while AK is more "wild", yet both are extremely well executed landscape theming. I love both yet in such a small space JP does it so fast and convincingly.

And for those of you who think Uni might do new things on the cheap... have you seen these pictures of a mockup/template for harry potter? Over the top work and detailing.

http://www.ioacentral.com/resort_updates/september_02_2008/page_3.htm

I love the parks, I love the art, they both do a great job (when they do a great job) :wave:

RSoxNo1

Islands of Adventure is very well themed, the Port of Discovery area says, "Let the Adventure Begin" and it looks very similar to the Adventurer's Club exterior. The fault that I see is that you can see many backstage areas, and the rides themselves aren't particularly well themed in some cases. The Hulk is about the thrill, not the theming. Dueling Dragons' theming ends at the queue.

I enjoy the Universal parks, and although this will sound corny, they don't have the same feel as a Disney park to me. For what it's worth, I got the same feeling when entering California Adventure. The feeling that particular areas may have been done exceptionally well, but the cohesive theme is somewhat disjointed. I think Islands of Adventure is probably the best example of this, the individual lands are done very well, but in some cases the flow between them, and the connection between them is disjointed.

Yes, Islands of Adventure is well themed, most notably The Lost Continent and Jurassic Park. But the main park is not as near as themed as it could be. I am not implying there isn't any theming at all, just that for the most part it does not compare to Disney as a whole.

Islands of Adventure is very well themed, the Port of Discovery area says, "Let the Adventure Begin" and it looks very similar to the Adventurer's Club exterior. The fault that I see is that you can see many backstage areas, and the rides themselves aren't particularly well themed in some cases. The Hulk is about the thrill, not the theming. Dueling Dragons' theming ends at the queue.

I enjoy the Universal parks, and although this will sound corny, they don't have the same feel as a Disney park to me. For what it's worth, I got the same feeling when entering California Adventure. The feeling that particular areas may have been done exceptionally well, but the cohesive theme is somewhat disjointed. I think Islands of Adventure is probably the best example of this, the individual lands are done very well, but in some cases the flow between them, and the connection between them is disjointed.

That's entirely fair. For me, I greatly enjoy theming but I also enjoy roller coasters (for example). When I'm at a theme park, I don't need things to be cognitive, I just want a fun total experience. I'm perfectly happy with a really strong queue that sets up a story, and then a ride system that's congruent with that story (Dueling Dragons) because I enjoy both parts and I can suspend my disbelief.

I think the Imagineers do excellent work, but can sometimes fall into the trap of making an overly cognitive experience. Paris' Adventureland is an example of this, I don't need every single ride to share a common backstory. Though I have nothing but respect for Tony Baxter, I think in this case its theming overload.

goodtimes5286

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is why cant Disney referb AND build new rides? It almost sounds like there is a Disney imageneer, not imageneerS. The one person at the top (I'm sorry for my ignorance over whom this is) can oversea multiple projects, and if they cant, then we need a new hire.

On top of that the reason why Disney is slipping and eventually WILL lose the theme park battle (unless they get their act together) is because they dont see the big picture. Those people who fund Disney now and are loyal avid Disneyans are older now. They are those who have seen Disney grow since they were children and now they are pouring their money into the parks. Disney isn't focusing on the NEW generation and THIS IS Disney's downfall. No matter how arrogant Disney is they MUST see this. I am 22 (I want to be an imageneer SOO badly, but I'm graduating in the spring with a psychology degree [which doesn't help], and the college I'm going to for graduate school doesn't have any programs that would even allow me to apply to be an imageneer [also, not such a big help, although I think I could do the job even without a degree] :(), I live in south Florida, and all of my friends like going to universal and I have to beg and plead them to go to Disney for 1 day (while we all have year passes to Universal and have had them for years). This generation DOESN'T respect the 'magic'. This is either because it is fading from Walt's day, they just don't care, or maybe a combination or another reason unknown to me. While I was explaining to one of my friends in my neighborhood (17 y/o) why Disney was better, I was trying to explain the 'magic', and the theming of the rides and how you can't get that type of depth ANYWHERE, how Disney CM's try to take care of you and they actually care instead of just throwing you on a piece of metal, the value of park tickets and hotel pairing and what hotels do for you, etc etc etc. His response to EVERYTHING was, "Universal's rides are better." Not the theming, not the decor, just the ride ITSELF. He proceeded to state (like everyone in my generation does) The hulk, dueling dragons, spiderman, and the mummy. That's it fokes, 4 THRILL rides at 2 parks. Disney has let this generation slip away and they will become permeate Universal fans unless they do something QUICK (and even still it is probably already too late)! This generation is all about thrills, go ahead check the media, see if I'm lying. Bigger and better action movies, jackass, skydiving, going into space to experience weightlessness (im not sure what that's called), younger people seak thrills. By Disney laying back and putting in one roller coaster at it's least appealing park to teens, it's still not going to do anything, because they aren't going to go to see it. I can only get my dad to go to AK, and my friends will only go to DHS because of ToT and RnRC (obviously). I just got back and we road ToT 6x and RnRC 2x...that's IT. That's all everyone else wanted to do, why? Because I was with my own generation and THAT'S what they like, period, the end.

Yes Disney has the magic and that x-factor, that world all of its own, but the next generation will not even take a look. Disney needs young fresh ideas in their imageneering dept. They need to expand there reach to the new generation (or at least whoever they can get a hold of). The reason why people became Disney people (and I totally believe that is true because even though I go to universal I do wear Disney colored glasses), is because of the experiences you hand when you were younger. You grew up with it, it became a second home. Now a days teens are being drug to disney by their loyal Disney parents, complaining all the time about universal! So when they grow up and turn 18, they not only are going to go to the place that has the most thrill rides, and the place they always wanted to go, but they are going to loathe disney.

When Walt was around it was all about not only being on the cutting edge, but being PAST it. A theme park that is actually 2 parks in one!? OH EM GEE, no one had EVER thought of that. Any many other examples I dont need to recite to Disney fans, but the sad fact is Disney is no long on the cutting edge. As many other posters pointed out, wheres the Spiderman technology? Universal has stolen many things from Disney because they didn't want to reinvent the wheel (like speedpasses or whatever they call their fastpasses, single rider lines, etc) You don't even have to go with 5 coasters per park to get teens in the door, just go with the thrills, anyway you can get em. And for those of you who dont know, Islands isn't ALL thrills, they have a ride like the teacups, 3 water rides (1 like splash mountain), a kiddy coaster, 2 shows, and even a complete kid area, so adding some thrills CAN coexist with an already established park. That way you not only keep the regulars, the core Disneyans, but you gather a new generation, because the old generation wont be donating money forever; because death, taxes, and tax evasion are the only 3 things that are guaranteed in life.

Even take a look at universal itself, it consists of two parks, Universal Studios, and Islands of adventure, which one gets larger attendance? Just check the numbers, because those are facts that wont ever change. How about the number of people going into Universal pre Mummy Ride vs Islands of adventure? Or I'll go one step further, Universal's attendance before Islands even came about. I bet WDW just laughed at Universal back then, but they drove their imaginations to the cutting edge, they looked at the market, they saw that they needed thrills, they cut the frills (ambiance, decour, the disney touch, whatever they dont have it), and they delivered a park that gets TEENS (the next generation) in the door in DROVES.

I'm not really sure what to do with DTD to be honest, I dont know too much about it. But I do know about Disneylands downtown disney and I think it's setup is phenomenal. Not only does a monorail go to DTD, BUT they have Disney shops closest to the parks, and as you get further they have other stores people like to frequent, and even further out restaurants. As for DTD east I think it's pretty cool, DTD west is whatever, and PI is dead and something needs to be done quick, people use it like a bridge. The thing is I saw more people at DL's DTD then I do at WDW's DTD. Maybe I'm wrong and the numbers wont back that up or something, but from my experience in cali (and I went 2x, spring and summer) and WDW (I've been like 75x in my life), cali's had more people willing to spend there money, and more places to do it at. Which is sad because everyone knows WDW has way more room so there is sooo much more to work with. The main thing that needs to change though is dead stores. Empty stores, stores with no people in them, and stores where no one buys anything, need to go. They need to put businesses in the empty buildings and they need to put something different in the last two. It doesnt matter if it's a club, or a restaurant, or a candy shop, an apple, an ESPN zone, a strawberry field, WHATEVER. Just add something, because then Disney cant cry about the disney economy, especially since in this instance it is there fault.

Going back to theming for a second, I dont believe that good artistry is great theming. When I say theming I mean rides, like....Dinosaur for instance. You first go in and it looks kinda like a museum. Turn the corner to see a big T-Rex in your face, and as you stand and wait, you hear the story about how the Dinosaurs died out (in partial darkness with the lighting highlighting the three tapestries on the wall), you are then moved into a separate area where you hear Dr.? (who is hilarious ":( Seatbelts......put them on.....use them") tell you about your 'mission'. You are then moved to an area that looks like it's straight out of the future, like the basement of some secret government research facility where they are letting you go on this journey to see the past. THAT my friends is theming imo. Yeah I guess to some, a really rock looking piece of plaster in Lost Continent, is good theming, but it isn't good theming to me, just nice artistry. Like the hulk for instance, one of the most popular (if not THE most popular ride), you are in a metal green and silver building, watching a video about the hulk, hes running around screaming and stuff, you hear interviews (all animated of course), etc. You come to find out after all of this that prof banner developed this machine to get rid of his gamma radiation and your going on that machine....? Umm no mention why or anything, its just this machine to cure him is in this building, and your going to get in it to rid yourself of gamma radiation I guess. That isn't theming to me. A cool looking cave (dueling dragons) isnt theming, theming is telling a story not JUST with the look. This is where Disney and Universal fork in the road, one still believes in this theming, crowd control, entertainment, one is all about the thrills. But which one will also get the next generation? Will Disney all of a sudden get the group growing up in and around Universal/Islands, or just like in the past the group that was raised with Disney stays with Disney? Tell me how many people here are willing to switch over and become die hard Universal fans after being Disney fans for so long. That'll tell you the number of people that will cross over in the next generation.

All in all with the land situation (even though Disney is selling ALL of there land inside of Disney and its REALLY irritating, but that's another issue entirely), and the current generation Disney still is on top, but for how long. For those people thinking that Universal is going to die out (because some people say they don't have anyone in the parks, but when I go there is ALWAYS at least a 50% capacity), those who don't evolve perish, and right now our beloved Disney is stuck in the mud.

....just my two pennies....

Going back to theming for a second, I dont believe that good artistry is great theming. When I say theming I mean rides, like....Dinosaur for instance. You first go in and it looks kinda like a museum. Turn the corner to see a big T-Rex in your face, and as you stand and wait, you hear the story about how the Dinosaurs died out (in partial darkness with the lighting highlighting the three tapestries on the wall), you are then moved into a separate area where you hear Dr.? (who is hilarious ":( Seatbelts......put them on.....use them") tell you about your 'mission'. You are then moved to an area that looks like it's straight out of the future, like the basement of some secret government research facility where they are letting you go on this journey to see the past. THAT my friends is theming imo. Yeah I guess to some, a really rock looking piece of plaster in Lost Continent isn't good theming to me, just nice artistry.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. Theming for me isn't theming unless it helps to make your involvement in a story realistic. For example, a first timer's journey on Kilimanjaro Safaris.

agent86

I thought there might be news or rumors in this thread. But alas, just the same regurgitated Universal vs. Disney arguments. They seem to have taken on a life of their own. Seems like this thread would be better suited to chit/chat or discussion.

What exactly about the thread title ("Universal vs Disney") made you surprised when you opened the thread and discovered it was about...(gasp)...Universal vs Disney? :hammer: And for what reason would you want this thread moved to the Chit Chat section? Is that because that section doesn't typically get as much exposure and therefore, fewer people will get an opportunity to read about the merits of Universal? :animwink:

CaptainMichael

And Univeral Studios puts DHS to shame theming wise...big time.

Disneyson 1

Actually, Universal has GREAT theming, just more thrilling rides. I can say with a clean conscience that a disney dweeb would have great fun at Uni or IOA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom