Universal vs. Disney

ttalovebug

I think Universal has a great product, much like I feel Disney does.

Universal is always going to take heat on a Disney forum because frankly it just isn't Disney. And anything that isn't Disney isn't going to engender loads of warm feelings on sites like this.

There are things Universal does better than Disney and vice versa.

They are different and I think that's a very good thing.

I'm a 'Disney' guy but that doesn't mean I don't love the Universal parks. Just if I could only have one day in one park (in Florida) it would always be EPCOT. Lucky for me, I never have only one day in Orlando!

As for Transformers, the word out of Universal is that while it is debuting in Singapore (a resort I really want to visit at opening!) and shortly thereafter in Hollywood ... it will make its way to Orlando in short order.

I never saw the movie so I'm not really into the franchise, but if the attraction is great it really won't matter.

Great post. To me, Universal could build the best rides on the planet and use the greatest technology, but I would still prefer Disney, because I've always been and always will be a "Disney person". And I've had great times at Universal before. It's not about which one is "better", they are different experiences and everyone has their opinions.

lightboy

Great post. To me, Universal could build the best rides on the planet and use the greatest technology, but I would still prefer Disney, because I've always been and always will be a "Disney person". And I've had great times at Universal before. It's not about which one is "better", they are different experiences and everyone has their opinions.

But imagine what would happen if Disney used that technology and those special effects (as they used to) and spin it with their personal creativity and story?

Hmmm...everyone else would need to watch out. And Disney would need a bigger parking lot.

Everest? Lovely. Really, I love it. But nothing incredibly that pushed me past the "WHOA" barrier. Almost hit it though.

But imagine what would happen if Disney used that technology and those special effects (as they used to) and spin it with their personal creativity and story?

Hmmm...everyone else would need to watch out. And Disney would need a bigger parking lot.

Everest? Lovely. Really, I love it. But nothing incredibly that pushed me past the "WHOA" barrier. Almost hit it though.

Same can be said with TSM. When people were saying it was Disney's answer to Spiderman and coming up with an updated Buzz Lightyear, this one had me excited but was more of a letdown. Sure the technology to create this game (not quite calling it a ride) is impressive, but I felt they were lacking in story and theming in the attraction itself. Some people might like the queue with the assortment of giant toys and a talking potato, while once again, is a neat addition, I just don't really call that well themed IMO. I feel that Disney could have put more thought into this attraction, but like many of the other new additions, took the easy way out.

PaisleyMF

We knew what WDW was receiving for the HCoE. We knew we were getting Lights, Motors, Action!, Soarin', and Expedition Everest.

We knew we were getting them because of the construction we saw so early on. The construction that is necessary for a huge attraction of that caliber. However, right now we aren't seeing anything like that, and it's a little less than three years away...

I talked about Disneyland not the "gifts" that Disney World got (and this is weird enough)

MonsterManX

I'd like to make a correction...

Same concept I introduced in the thread "Slash and Burn" just now.

Disney will announce another teaser attraction. Another something to gain the media for a whole 48 hours worldwide. Then nothing again. I would hardly call a series of refurbishments, something big. As Disney has continuously introduced in the last couple years.

Disney should be on the frontline, and not bringing up the rear. Soon they'll figure this concept out.

Hopefully I didn't misunderstand you , but who Said I was describing a refurbishment? They have the money man , it's just a matter of push and shove. If HP really anhilates them as much as people are talking , you bet Disney has to have something planned already. As ignorant as this sounds I think it'd be better to be safe and asume that they have a plan in store , then to say oh they'll just watch universal do better then them. It's simple Buisness. yeah I'm sure there's a load of refurbishments going on ,but if they wanna be on top they gotta drop the mula.

I bet you they'll do it too. Think of how many bllions are being poured in HP land , it's not gonna be something to overlook , that's for sure. But then again , who knows maybe I'm wrong. I guess we'll have to wait and see :)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I find it often funny how people criticize Universal and IOA when much of it was designed by the SAME EXACT people that designed Disney attractions, since there were a lot of Ex-Imagineers who went to Universal after Disney let them go.

Also, after 20+ years working at Universal, Disney decided that it would be a very good idea to offer Scott Trowbridge, the head of Universal Creative, tons of money to come to Imagineering.

Disney didn't do that to just sit around and not do anything. Now the question is what will the tight-wallets around Disney managment do if HP does succeed. I really thought Disney was going to have announced something big except for American Idol. I guess we'll see how 2009 turns out.

agent86

I think Universal has a great product, much like I feel Disney does.

Universal is always going to take heat on a Disney forum because frankly it just isn't Disney. And anything that isn't Disney isn't going to engender loads of warm feelings on sites like this.

Agreed, but I think what makes Universal even less beloved by people on these forums is that they are really the only tourist attraction in Orlando to truly give Disney a run for it's money. I think some hardcore Disney fans are threatened by Universal in a sense. You never hear people bash Sea World or Busch Gardens to the extent they bash Universal. Universal's two parks are clearly superior to those, and so you'd expect that it would be the other way around. They are really the first non-Disney parks to be in the same league as Disney's parks, and they do a better job than Disney in many respects. I think that's the true reason behind why many fans here bash it so much.

agent86

And I will say that Universal Hollywood is WAY much better that Orlando, except that we still have ET!

:eek: What??? Are you serious??? I don't think I've ever heard anyone even put Universal Hollywood in the same league as Universal Orlando, but to say it's better (much less "WAY" better) is absurd. You've got to be kidding, right?

Foladar

Downtown Disney makes more money alone than all of Universal Orlando.

No wonder NBC hasn't been able to sell the parks. If it weren't for UK guests and local teenagers/field trips, I'd have a 3 minute wait for Spiderman instead of 5 minutes.
If by 5 minutes, you mean 100....
The other day it was over 100 minutes for Spiderman, as well as a few others including Hulk.

PS: Your welcome to like both parks, it isn't illegal.

I do agree Disney should do something large, and more people should embrace Universal - after all, competition IS good for your "favorite" park, whichever one it may be.

The3Webbs

:eek: What??? Are you serious??? I don't think I've ever heard anyone even put Universal Hollywood in the same league as Universal Orlando, but to say it's better (much less "WAY" better) is absurd. You've got to be kidding, right?

HAHA!!!!! Me too I think Hollywood doesn't come close to Orlando..

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think it depends on how you're comparing them. Universal Hollywood has a looong history and can claim the fact that it is a true working studio, whereas Orlando can't claim very much of that. They do some productions, but not many.

Orlando definitely has the upper hand as far as attractions. Out of the attractions at IOA, the only one Hollywood has is Jurassic Park, so that's nearly an entire park that Hollywood doesn't have. The only other attractions Hollywood has right now is Backdraft and Waterworld, plus whatever else is on the studio tour.

The_CEO

If there wasn't competition in this world, there would just be industry monopolies everywhere. That goes for Disney and Universal.. Competition is healthy for everyone, including the economy..

If there wasn't competition in this world, there would just be industry monopolies everywhere. That goes for Disney and Universal.. Competition is healthy for everyone, including the economy..

So true. I think all the Disney purists that won't even bother giving Universal a try would grow tired of Disney if that was the ONLY theme park, it's great to have the other parks around as competition. They're trying to come out with something bigger and better in hopes to draw people in their parks and really wow you, and hopefully when Disney takes note of this, they'll try to come up with something to top that, which makes the other park work on something even better. There's nothing wrong with visiting other parks! Actually, if you guys all love Disney as much as you say you do, do yourself and Disney a favor by visiting Universal and Sea World, and have fun while you're having a break from the mouse! :D

BuddhasHomeGirl

I love Disney parks and I love Universal parks, but for different reasons, I think Islands of Adventure is just beautiful and full of wonderful details and Mythos is one of the best in park restaurants I have ever eaten at. I love some of the Disney rides, but I love almost ALL of the Universal/IOA rides. I cant wait for Harry Potter to open up it seems like it will be amazing.
I don't understand why its such a biggie to love both?! or why one HAS to be better than the other. :shrug:

JROK

I agree with the statements about Disney needing to step up to bat instead of relying on their heritage and "magic." Universal always seems to be one step ahead of Disney when it comes to new and exciting ride experiences. I think one of the last great WDW attractions was Countdown to Extinction. It was a great wild ride with fantastic technology that you couldn't find anywhere else on property. But everything else just seems like a rehash or mashup of other ideas. Universal has Spiderman to blow Extinction out of the water, and all Disney offers are new refurbs or shows.

Sure WDW brought in Everest, but it was just a coaster that went backwards and had one glimpse of "the most advanced animatronic." This came out as Disney's answer to Revenge of the Mummy at Universal, and while the actual coaster elements on Everest may be better (because it's bigger), I think that Mummy was able to pull off the idea of putting animatronics and show elements into a coaster much better making for a better experience. All that fluff about Imagineers actually going to Nepal was nothing more than PR. The average guest won't know that information or care. We're in an instant gratification society where people just want things now and don't care about fluff.

Now we're looking to the future. Lately we've had a bunch of refurbs that did improve some attractions. PotC's refurb didn't really change the ride for me, where as Haunted Mansions' refurb did in fact improve the ride. But nothing, just new parades and new shows. Disney has American Idol coming in this year while Universal has a rollercoaster that combines audio/video to make a new ride experience, as well with a new style of coaster (the X-Car) that hasn't been seen in the U.S.

Maybe Disney is going to wait, and let Universal get all these new attractions because they know that guests that go to Universal to see Harry Potter, will also be going to at least one Disney park too. Then once the Universal fanfare goes away, Disney will announce something exciting to get everyone back to their parks.

I think it is very hard to compare the two parks as Disney offers more of an experience and Universal offers more excitement. With that said, I'm glad I live in Orlando and have the opportunity to experience both.

DisneyDellsDude

and all Disney offers are new refurbs or shows.

While I agree that new attractions are needed, I would much rather see Disney work on fixing and updating it's classic attractions (like Space and Jungle Cruise) before they focus on other items.

They let attractions really slip (especially in the Magic Kingdom), but I'm glad they are starting to update their classics in that park. I love what they did to It's a Small World, Country Bears, and Haunted Mansion. Pirates turned out ok, but probably could have been better.

If Magic Kingdom gets a high quality Little Mermaid attraction in Fantasyland plus all these classics upgrades, I think they could turn things around - or start to at least.

agent86

I think it depends on how you're comparing them. Universal Hollywood has a looong history and can claim the fact that it is a true working studio, whereas Orlando can't claim very much of that. They do some productions, but not many.

Orlando definitely has the upper hand as far as attractions. Out of the attractions at IOA, the only one Hollywood has is Jurassic Park, so that's nearly an entire park that Hollywood doesn't have. The only other attractions Hollywood has right now is Backdraft and Waterworld, plus whatever else is on the studio tour.

I agree, but I think most people here are probably making the comparison based on the theme park/attractions aspect versus the historical/real working movie studio aspect. Speaking purely from the standpoint of seeing it as a tourist for the day, I don't know of anyone who even thinks USH comes close to UO. I live in California, and any time I tell people that I'm going to Florida and that I'll be going to Universal Studios, the reaction I always get is one of "Why would you waste your time going THERE?", not because they've actually been to the Florida version, but because they have been to the one in Hollywood and are assuming the one in Florida is the same...which it isn't, not by a long shot.

agent86

Seriously guys, why is it hard to to say Universal is a great park to visit?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think it's hard for members here to admit how great Universal is, because they're probably afraid that doing so is going to make them disloyal to Disney somehow. Also, I really think a lot of hardcore Disney fans see Universal as the first real threat to Disney's position as the top dog in Orlando. I think that to a lot of people, there is a certain amount of pride that comes with being able to point out, "Hey you know that thing that I'm really fanatical about? Well check it out, it's the number one of it's type in the world!" With Universal as one of the players in town, that may not be the case forever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom