Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I accept that you have different tastes and interests than me, but to assume I 'settle' for whatever third-rate trash Disney dishes out to me is just wrong. If you consider yourself too mature to enjoy Disney, then that's fine by me, but don't bring others down because they can have a good time at WDW.

I enjoy Universal too, but it just lacks that intangible that makes Disney special.

EDIT: Huh, I take a six-month break from the forums and it takes me but hours to get in an argument. Looks like I've still got it.

I was actually referring to how Disney is positioning itself in the theme park market via their marketing and attraction construction rather than your maturity or age or possible lack of either. :shrug:

Fun2BFree

I was actually referring to how Disney is positioning itself in the theme park market via their marketing and attraction construction rather than your maturity or age or possible lack of either. :shrug:

Well, direct references to "you" and "me" made me think otherwise. Online is an amazingly fickle way to communicate.

That being said, WDW has released so many attractions in the past decade that they can afford to concentrate their efforts until the DCA problem is solved.

GothMickey

Your ride is set to music and you get a video of it at the end. I cannot understand how people call TSM's theming 'mediocre' and let Uni off because they don't aim for that level of theming. Clearly their efforts in IoA and the upcoming HP project show that they're trying to match Disney's efforts.

Thank you for the info. So basically, it is a typical coaster, just with music, and you get a video. Sounds like a typical coaster to me. Nothing special there. Music on a roller coaster has been done before. I am sure it will be extremely fun and thrilling, but nothing ground breaking.

Some of you guys are bashing The Mummy, yet Expedition Everest is no better. Without question EE is not as thrilling as The Mummy from a coaster perspective, and EE has LESS on-ride show scenes. And now it has a broken AA, the signature piece of the ride. The best thing EE has going for it now is the exterior. I would rather ride the Mummy than EE on any day of the week, and I thought the Mummy was a disappointment when I first rode it as well. That said, I still like both rides a lot.

Rip Ride Rocket is going to be a great investment for Universal. Sure, it is not going to have the theme of some Disney or other Universal attractions, but it should be a top-notch thrill ride. There is something to be said for that because there is always demand for a good thrill ride.

EE is more thrilling than Mummy. EE's backward drop alone is more thrilling than Mummy's. Granted the Yeti don't work. I wish they would fix it. But, since it is a massive AA as compared to the Mummy AA, well, I think I can understand Yeti being broken a little more than Mummy AA.

I enjoyed The Mummy, but I found EE to be more thrilling mostly because of the backwards portion of the ride.

Your right though, the broken AA is an absolute disaster at this point.

I enjoyed Mummy too. I cannot say it isn't enjoyable. Just not as AWESOME as it was crack up to be. And not as thrilling as EE. No way.

Pete C

Original Poster
Thank you for the info. So basically, it is a typical coaster, just with music, and you get a video. Sounds like a typical coaster to me. Nothing special there. Music on a roller coaster has been done before. I am sure it will be extremely fun and thrilling, but nothing ground breaking.

EE is more thrilling than Mummy. EE's backward drop alone is more thrilling than Mummy's. Granted the Yeti don't work. I wish they would fix it. But, since it is a massive AA as compared to the Mummy AA, well, I think I can understand Yeti being broken a little more than Mummy AA.

I enjoyed Mummy too. I cannot say it isn't enjoyable. Just not as AWESOME as it was crack up to be. And not as thrilling as EE. No way.

The general consensus is that the Mummy is the better, more thrilling ride. Go check the general public reviews on themeparkcritic.com. EE might go backwards, but Mummy has a launch, airtime, and more G forces...that is what coaster enthusiasts care about.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The general consensus is that the Mummy is the better, more thrilling ride. Go check the general public reviews on themeparkcritic.com. EE might go backwards, but Mummy has a launch, airtime, and more G forces...that is what coaster enthusiasts care about.

But what do they know? :p

WDW1974

Careful what you say.... you could disturb 74 from his slumber and he will invade this thread too.

Hokie, dude ... what would you like me to say?

That this is another rumor 'borrowed' from a site that doesn't have the best track record about an attraction that IS coming to USH, but thus far (and likely) isn't coming to O-Town?

Would you like me to 'splain that a timeshare resort in Hawaii and a POSSIBLE hotel in D.C. have zero, zilch, nada to do with development at WDW and that, no, fans of WDW or theme parks really shouldn't be excited over something as mundane at timeshares to begin with?

Would you like me to point out that UNI is investing in its Florida parks in a big way while Disney is not?

Would you like me to point out that a decade-plus needed rehab of an ancient coaster at the MK is not in anyway equal to what UNI or BEC are doing?

Would you like me to agree with 'Bulb' about attractions like TT, EE and TSMM all lacking that special something? (I think they once called it the Disney Details)

Would you like me to point out that what is happening at DCA (and budgets are being cut left and right there as well) has no affect on the staleness of the four WDW parks?

Would you like me to point out that both EE and Mummy are nice rides, but both are lacking as well?

What would you like to discuss with me?

JWG

Where's the smiley eating popcorn when you need it...
This (along with the DTD thread) is more of a train wreck that you can't look away from than most recently...

Viscious!

hpyhnt 1000

This (along with the DTD thread) is more of a train wreck that you can't look away from than most recently...

Viscious!

You called?
popcorn.gif

mcjaco

EE is more thrilling than Mummy. EE's backward drop alone is more thrilling than Mummy's.

I'll take USF's Mummy over EE anyday. EE, just doesn't do anything for me. It's just a bunch of helixes, forward and backwards. I like EE, just not as much as Mummy. Now if we're talking about USH's Mummy.....I'll take EE over that version anyday. That one stinks.

But what do they know? :p

Quite a bit, if I do say so myself.

Wait.....I did.

Fun2BFree

Viscious!

Recipe for train-wreck thread:
- Start with dubious rumor.
- Add one portion of Disney vs Universal hate.
- Liberally apply opinionated posters (myself included) and grudges from other threads.
- Mix with rage about Space Mountain refurb and disappointment over EE/Mummy.
- Dash with disagreements over what constitutes theming, story or E-Tickets... for flavor.
- Bake to a golden brown and serve.

GothMickey

I'll take USF's Mummy over EE anyday. EE, just doesn't do anything for me. It's just a bunch of helixes, forward and backwards. I like EE, just not as much as Mummy. Now if we're talking about USH's Mummy.....I'll take EE over that version anyday. That one stinks.

And Mummy goes upside down, round and round? Nope... Backward, forward, stop, go, helix, helix. Sounds like EE to me. If EE isn't thrilling, neither is Mummy.

Mummy is a fun ride, but NOT THRILLING. And, yes, I really don't care what these so called coaster enthusiasts say. I know where I had a more thrilling ride experience, and it was on EE, not Mummy.

Pete C

Original Poster
Recipe for train-wreck thread:
- Start with dubious rumor.
- Add one portion of Disney vs Universal hate.
- Liberally apply opinionated posters (myself included) and grudges from other threads.
- Mix with rage about Space Mountain refurb and disappointment over EE/Mummy.
- Dash with disagreements over what constitutes theming, story or E-Tickets... for flavor.
- Bake to a golden brown and serve.

:ROFLOL: Yep, I think we managed to hit all the key ingredients! Tastes great to me!!

hardcard

It's a +1 in my book. They are replacing an old, dated experience with new technology. Are you saying that if Universe of Energy burned down, and was replaced by a completely new attraction with awesome technology, it would not be a +1?? On that note, I would totally consider Space Mountain to be a +1 if they weren't doing the bare minimum.

How do you know they are doing the bare minimum on space mountain... are you golfing chums with the WDI staff?

I don't care what others have said.. Either way, it's getting plussed.. i don't care if you think it's 'enough'..... what did universal do when disney plussed small world, or haunted mansion? thats right... nothing..

stop creating competition where it doesn't exist.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom