Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

Fun2BFree

So slow loading is now some sort of achievement. No wonder the mouse knows it can keep churning out crap with so many apologists willing to spout the party line.

Crap? As I recall, this board was flooded with positive reviews for TSM at its launch. Perhaps it does load rather slowly, but it's still a top attraction at that park.

GothMickey

That's like throwing the entire IOA park itself and all of its attractions out the window. IOA was the beginning of Universal becoming a serious player...a slew of E-ticket attractions wrapped in a compellingly themed environment. You have to give them several years of buffer time for something that huge. Animal Kingdom, by comparison, had the theme with less than half of the attractions. Universal also had 2 new E-tickets in The Mummy and Men In Black alongside a major overhaul like The Simpsons.

Well, for a major player, they haven't made much, if any, of a dent in Disney's attendance. IOA is fine, but, it really didn't do anything to boost Universal.

whylightbulb

So slow loading is now some sort of achievement. No wonder the mouse knows it can keep churning out crap with so many apologists willing to spout the party line.
Exactly. TSMM, technology notwithstanding, is a mediocre attraction at best. It's fun enough and just makes the grade but in terms of show quality, detail, story, scenic and other show elements it falls short.

Fun2BFree

Exactly. TSMM, technology notwithstanding, is a mediocre attraction at best. It's fun enough and just makes the grade but in terms of show quality, detail, story, scenic and other show elements it falls short.

It's a carnival-themed romp with the Toy Story gang, simple as that. I'm sure the story of the Rip Ride Rock-it coaster will blow us all away. :rolleyes:

GothMickey

It's a carnival-themed romp with the Toy Story gang, simple as that. I'm sure the story of the Rip Ride Rock-it coaster will blow us all away. :rolleyes:

There is a story behind an unthemed roller coaster? I thought the only huge thing to this coaster was that you can get a disk made of your ride with a song or two of your choice?

Please tell if you know more about this world we are to be transported into on an outdoor roller coaster.

jt04

But it worked so well at that myrtle beach theme park.:shrug: The Led Zepplin coaster and the Nights in White Satin Dark Ride.........the stuff of legends!

:brick:

GothMickey

But it worked so well at that myrtle beach theme park.:shrug: The Led Zepplin coaster and the Nights in White Satin Dark Ride.........the stuff of legends!

That park was doomed to fail from the start. I don't think we can even compare. LOL.

whylightbulb

Rockit is a coaster with music. It doesn't call for a story or pull from a rich IP like TSMM does. Universal does not have the theme park history and legacy that Disney has established. By Disney standards TSMM gets a passing grade but falls short of the standards and quality Disney has set for itself over the years. Rockit will pass the Universal test. It will be fun, themed to its environment and will use new technology to deliver a unique experience.

By the way, I'm not a Universal apologist. I think Mummy falls wayyyy short of the hype for example. But for some reason you wanted to bring in the strange comparison of TSMM to Rockit.

GothMickey

Rockit is a coaster with music. It doesn't call for a story or pull from a rich IP like TSMM does. Universal does not have the theme park history and legacy that Disney has established. By Disney standards TSMM gets a passing grade but falls short of the standards and quality Disney has set for itself over the years. Rockit will pass the Universal test. It will be fun, themed to its environment and will use new technology to deliver a unique experience.

By the way, I'm not a Universal apologist. I think Mummy falls wayyyy short of the hype for example. But for some reason you wanted to bring in the strange comparison of TSMM to Rockit.

I thought Mummy was not all it was hyped up to be. They made it sound like the second coming of Christ, when, it was the second coming of OH THAT'S IT? Not saying it is a bad ride, it's not. I enjoy the ride. However, people make it sound more than what it actually is.

whylightbulb

The problems with Hard Rock park had nothing to do with the NIWS dark ride or the Zepplin coaster. NIWS was very well done for the budget allocated: dare I say much better than Disney would have done given the same budget. The problems were more in marketing, location management and overall park design and strategy.

Fun2BFree

Rockit is a coaster with music. It doesn't call for a story or pull from a rich IP like TSMM does.

Disney rides don't have to have a huge story. HM is about a house with ghosts in it, with no real plot development, just some entertaining setpieces. PotC is about some pirates sacking a town, hardly a dramatic masterpiece but great fun. Space Mountain is about flying around in space. TSM is properly and richly themed from the movie on which it is based. What's the problem with that?

EDIT: My main point essentially is that theming makes the attraction, not story.

whylightbulb

I thought Mummy was not all it was hyped up to be. They made it sound like the second coming of Christ, when, it was the second coming of OH THAT'S IT? Not saying it is a bad ride, it's not. I enjoy the ride. However, people make it sound more than what it actually is.
Yea I completely agree. It's fun but it could have been so much more. Don't even get me started with a rant on the Imhotep AA figure. Universal put that company out of business knowing full well they should have never given them the contract. They ended up with a piece of garbage when if they were just willing to go with a company like Advanced Animation things could have gone a lot smoother.

jt04

The problems with Hard Rock park had nothing to do with the NIWS dark ride or the Zepplin coaster. NIWS was very well done for the budget allocated: dare I say much better than Disney would have done given the same budget. The problems were more in marketing, location management and overall park design and strategy.

Oh that would explain all the outside vendors tripping over themselves to but those assets. I can't wait until NIWS is relocated to the Stone Mountain park.

Sorry for the heavy sarcasm, just trying to be as popular as Pumbas Nakasak :wave:

GothMickey

Shhhh :zipit:, we are not supposed to mention there are sometimes projects that were doomed to fail from the start. It makes people crazy :p

Screw it. People need to wake up and freaking realize that some things are just doomed to fail from the start. End of story. Disney has had stuff that was doomed to fail from the start. Universal has had some. Six Flags. Sea World. Name a park and they had a project doomed to fail. There are no such things as conspiracies from management to purposely force something they lay money out to help build their product fail. No matter what people say. Certain things just do not take the way companies think they would. That is called REALITY!!!!!

GothMickey

Disney rides don't have to have a huge story. HM is about a house with ghosts in it, with no real plot development, just some entertaining setpieces. PotC is about some pirates sacking a town, hardly a dramatic masterpiece but great fun. Space Mountain is about flying around in space. TSM is properly and richly themed from the movie on which it is based. What's the problem with that?

EDIT: My main point essentially is that theming makes the attraction, not story.

Disney's rides do have stories behind them. HM being the exception, even though there still astory behind the attraction. Even moreso since the refurb than in the past.

jt04

Screw it. People need to wake up and freaking realize that some things are just doomed to fail from the start. End of story. Disney has had stuff that was doomed to fail from the start. Universal has had some. Six Flags. Sea World. Name a park and they had a project doomed to fail. There are no such things as conspiracies from management to purposely force something they lay money out to help build their product fail. No matter what people say. Certain things just do not take the way companies think they would. That is called REALITY!!!!!

Dude, I was just joking. Although you make a great point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom