Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

brianplace

blah blah blah Disney sucks not enough attractions blah

at least Disney isn't +$1 BILLION in the hole like Universal.

"Great new ride, too bad the park has been shut down and nobody can get to it."

GothMickey

at least Disney isn't +$1 BILLION in the hole like Universal.

"Great new ride, too bad the park has been shut down and nobody can get to it."

And not to mention, as IOA made Universal a game changer and a major player, their attendance has remained stagnant and went DOWN the last year, not pulling away or making a dent in Disney's attendance. Disney doesn't need to answer Universal. Disney is still king of the castle while Universal is the court jester.

mcjaco

And Mummy goes upside down, round and round? Nope... Backward, forward, stop, go, helix, helix. Sounds like EE to me. If EE isn't thrilling, neither is Mummy.

EE does only that. Goes around in circles, forwards and backwards. Mummy at least has some airtime hills. I never said Mummy was THRILLING. I said I enjoyed it more than EE. That's called an opinion. I'm allowed to have one, just as you are.

And, yes, I really don't care what these so called coaster enthusiasts say. I know where I had a more thrilling ride experience, and it was on EE, not Mummy.

Again, that's YOUR opinion. I find Mummy to be more enjoyable than EE. So be it.

brianplace

And not to mention, as IOA made Universal a game changer and a major player, their attendance has remained stagnant and went DOWN the last year, not pulling away or making a dent in Disney's attendance. Disney doesn't need to answer Universal. Disney is still king of the castle while Universal is the court jester.

it was the smell of warm trash in August (in overflowing cans) during my first (and only) trip to IoA when I instantaneously and thoroughly understood the Disney v. Universal corporate mindset.

GrumpyFan

I dunno, I'm hoping Disney has something up their sleeve with the SM refurb. They gotta, right? Otherwise, come fall they'll have nothing to advertise while Uni and Busch are advertising their new attractions. I can just see it now, "Come back and ride the freshly painted Space Mountain with all new lights!"

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I know you were being sarcastic as usual. I agreed with you because I thought it was ridiculous that you thought an internet site must be the authoritative source on whether a ride is thrilling or not.

Sarcastic. Moi?

Im sure if such a site said Disney rides were fantastic and Universal mince, there would be no such reticence to agree with their findings. :king:

GothMickey

Yes. Small World was plussed, with minor details. The queue facade in WDW. The other changes in Small World were cosmetic. It was plussed. The ride wasn't made worse. They didn't take an OK attraction (Ailen Encounter) and changed it to a terrible attraction (SGE). And Disneyland's Small World was really plussed with the addition of the new character dolls.

GothMickey

EE does only that. Goes around in circles, forwards and backwards. Mummy at least has some airtime hills. I never said Mummy was THRILLING. I said I enjoyed it more than EE. That's called an opinion. I'm allowed to have one, just as you are.

Again, that's YOUR opinion. I find Mummy to be more enjoyable than EE. So be it.

Callme crazy but I remember having some airtime in EE too. So, if this is what makes a ride thrilling, then yes EE is thrilling. And yes, these are our opinions. Just like the coaster enthusiasts have their opinions. They aren't rooted in fact. So, for someone to quote them (not you I know by the way) is kind of silly.

The only thing we'll get out of this is people have different opinions and no matter how much we express our opinions, we'll always differ.

GothMickey

it was the smell of warm trash in August (in overflowing cans) during my first (and only) trip to IoA when I instantaneously and thoroughly understood the Disney v. Universal corporate mindset.

Yuck. Bad show. And I am still trying to see this wonderful themeing people on here claim IOA has. I don't see anything grand about the themeing in IOA. Again, not terrible, not horrible. Enjoyable, but nothing special.

Pete C

Original Poster
Yes. Small World was plussed, with minor details. The queue facade in WDW. The other changes in Small World were cosmetic. It was plussed. The ride wasn't made worse. They didn't take an OK attraction (Ailen Encounter) and changed it to a terrible attraction (SGE). And Disneyland's Small World was really plussed with the addition of the new character dolls.

Sheesh, this counts as plussed these days? If that's the case, Uni should stick a new potted plant in ET and change their marketing language.

The Conundrum

I believe Disney has opened more that Universal in 20 years or so.

Does this give Disney an excuse to rest on their laurels?

Will this "fact" forever keep higher attendance at WDW over Universal?

Sheesh, this counts as plussed these days? If that's the case, Uni should stick a new potted plant in ET and change their marketing language.

exactly. Thank God theres people on this forum who aren't in disney lalaland. The refuribshment of space mountain cannot be counted as some "major new addition" its a general refurbishment that should have happened several times over already. If they were to gut the whole building and create new tracks, etc. maybe then it would be considered a new major attraction. People who think refurbished space mountain is a talking point to use against Universal's new slate are only kidding themselves.

Fun2BFree

In WDW's refurb, AAs worked for the first time in years, everything looked fresh and brightly painted instead of drab and dingy, and the queue even got refurbed to look like DL's version rather than the previous multicoloured garglemesh. I know you're exaggerating, but people are never happy no matter what Disney do.

- Complain attraction needs refurbished.
- Complain attraction's refurbishment isn't long enough.
- Complain when attraction is closed during your trip.
- Complain when refurbishment changes too much and 'ruins ride's spirit'.
- Complain when refurbishment changes too little and is 'half-assed'.
- Complain refurbishment isn't good enough.

Disney are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Pete C

Original Poster
exactly. Thank God theres people on this forum who aren't in disney lalaland. The refuribshment of space mountain cannot be counted as some "major new addition" its a general refurbishment that should have happened several times over already. If they were to gut the whole building and create new tracks, etc. maybe then it would be considered a new major attraction. People who think refurbished space mountain is a talking point to use against Universal's new slate are only kidding themselves.

See, this is the exact thing that has got me fired up over Disney lately, and looking over at Universal who is trying their hardest to earn people's money by commiting to new attractions for the future. Trying to generate buzz for their parks. I was fully anticipating a new Space Mountain. A world-class ride possibly even better than DL has, and something that would re-establish a legend as a destination attraction once again. After the hack and slash of the original plans and, I don't know, the announcement of new DVC properties LEFT AND RIGHT makes me wonder if they've lost sight of why people fell in love with Walt Disney World in the first place...the rides!

Pete C

Original Poster
In WDW's refurb, AAs worked for the first time in years, everything looked fresh and brightly painted instead of drab and dingy, and the queue even got refurbed to look like DL's version rather than the previous multicoloured garglemesh. I know you're exaggerating, but people are never happy no matter what Disney do.

- Complain attraction needs refurbished.
- Complain attraction's refurbishment isn't long enough.
- Complain when attraction is closed during your trip.
- Complain when refurbishment changes too much and 'ruins ride's spirit'.
- Complain when refurbishment changes too little and is 'half-assed'.
- Complain refurbishment isn't good enough.

Disney are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

You are right, this happens a lot. However, you will never hear me complain about a long closure. Do it right...that's the most important thing. Now, as for SW, I hear you, but I would say that AAs not working and things looking dingy and being restored to what they should look like in the first place is not a plus, it's a necessity. It should be standard. POTC was plussed, HM was really plussed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom