Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

Fun2BFree

Well, refurbs are a necessity, Uni does them too. And considering the SSE refurb still isn't complete a year and a half later, I'd say thats a weak argument and seeing as they can't even replace ceiling tiles in Small World, I'd have to throw that into the same category.

Regardless, you must concede that the number of attractions Disney has debuted since the millennium has been substantially higher than Universal. Just because they're starting to play catch-up doesn't mean that Disney is in stagnation. Most tourists visit WDW every few years or so, and there's always plenty new from their last visit.

Pete C

Original Poster
Regardless, you must concede that the number of attractions Disney has debuted since the millennium has been substantially higher than Universal. Just because they're starting to play catch-up doesn't mean that Disney is in stagnation. Most tourists visit WDW every few years or so, and there's always plenty new from their last visit.

That's like throwing the entire IOA park itself and all of its attractions out the window. IOA was the beginning of Universal becoming a serious player...a slew of E-ticket attractions wrapped in a compellingly themed environment. You have to give them several years of buffer time for something that huge. Animal Kingdom, by comparison, had the theme with less than half of the attractions. Universal also had 2 new E-tickets in The Mummy and Men In Black alongside a major overhaul like The Simpsons.

Omnimover

Most tourists visit WDW every few years or so, and there's always plenty new from their last visit.

Indeed. If there's anything left from Walt's original mission for the Disney parks it's that there's always at least something new or improved from visit to visit, or at least year-to-year. The old story about the mother not taking her son on the Jungle Cruise because they'd done it before may be apocryphal, but the spirit is still there.

Makes sense financially, too. Improve and people come back to spend money.

EpcoTim

It's proportional. Of course Uni isn't going to open or debut as many new rides as Disney, there a fraction of the size.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Your definition of plenty must be different from mine. I must be missing something but what major attractions have opened since EE?

Universal stagnated because of ownership issues, whats Disneys reason?

jt04

I'm confused by this statement. Are you saying that this is somehow a win for Disney fans? To me, it isn't.

I think the DVC concept and other Disney travel initiatives are a HUGE win for Disney fans. Not sure how it's confusing.

Fun2BFree

That's like throwing the entire IOA park itself and all of its attractions out the window. IOA was the beginning of Universal becoming a serious player...a slew of E-ticket attractions wrapped in a compellingly themed environment. You have to give them several years of buffer time for something that huge. Animal Kingdom, by comparison, had the theme with less than half of the attractions. Universal also had 2 new E-tickets in The Mummy and Men In Black alongside a major overhaul like The Simpsons.

Yet Animal Kingdom was supposed to be a different species (ha!) of theme park, with less emphasis on attractions and thrills (though those are represented) and more focus on relaxing atmospheres, nature trails, exploration of the park and ecological education. By saying that it had 'less than half of the attractions', you're being very unfair. Indeed, AK's settings are some of the most authentic and richly-detailed in WDI's history and more than worth the price of admission.

EDIT:
Your definition of plenty must be different from mine. I must be missing something but what major attractions have opened since EE?

TSM counts as a 'major attraction', and Universal had practically nothing new (besides Mummy) during the period that brought us EE, M:S, Soarin' and many more smaller attractions.

whylightbulb

But since Uni is having trouble even completing HP, I should have known better.
I can tell you Universal is having major problems with the HP dark ride. But the problems are a result of their own egos and CYA attitude. When I say there are problems I mean they are massive in scope: to the point where they should be re engineering the entire ride system, even after most of it has been fabricated already. Unfortunately they have been burying their heads in the sand and nobody will admit what needs to be done.

That being said, the plans for this ride are far more ambitious than anything Disney has completed in over 13 years here in Florida. I have seen similar problems with some Disney projects..hehehmmmm Test Track. They will open Potter however and it will be a huge success despite its unusually high downtime and low capacity. At least Potter is going to be ten times more entertaining and fun than Test Track could hope to be.

JWG

There's a big difference between someone mentioning improvements since 2000 and asking what's new since EE (2006).

I agree that US has the most going on right now, but that's been the exception and not the norm over the course of history. It was bound to happen at one point or another. US held on to Back to the Future until even the duct tape couldn't hold any longer.

US will make strides, but so will Disney and not always at an even pace.

Pumbas Nakasak

Yet Animal Kingdom was supposed to be a different species (ha!) of theme park, with less emphasis on attractions and thrills (though those are represented) and more focus on relaxing atmospheres, nature trails, exploration of the park and ecological education. By saying that it had 'less than half of the attractions', you're being very unfair. Indeed, AK's settings are some of the most authentic and richly-detailed in WDI's history and more than worth the price of admission.

EDIT:

TSM counts as a 'major attraction',
and Universal had practically nothing new (besides Mummy) during the period that brought us EE, M:S, Soarin' and many more smaller attractions.

Deary deary me..........................................

Pumbas Nakasak

There's a big difference between someone mentioning improvements since 2000 and asking what's new since EE (2006).

I agree that US has the most going on right now, but that's been the exception and not the norm over the course of history. It was bound to happen at one point or another. US held on to Back to the Future until even the duct tape couldn't hold any longer.

US will make strides, but so will Disney and not always at an even pace.

By logical extension what has Disney opened since Universal came to town?

Omnimover

I can tell you Universal is having major problems with the HP dark ride. But the problems are a result of their own egos and CYA attitude. When I say there are problems I mean they are massive in scope: to the point where they should be re engineering the entire ride system, even after most of it has been fabricated already. Unfortunately they have been burying their heads in the sand and nobody will admit what needs to be done.

That being said, the plans for this ride are far more ambitious than anything Disney has completed in over 13 years here in Florida. I have seen similar problems with some Disney projects..hehehmmmm Test Track. They will open Potter however and it will be a huge success despite its unusually high downtime and low capacity. At least Potter is going to be ten times more entertaining and fun than Test Track could hope to be.

This is interesting. Do you have a source?

jt04

I'm glad you asked. I sincerely believe that Iger et al have decided that if they are going to do something at the parks they are going to do it right. To do that they are concentrating what park investment dollars they have allocated at a few problem areas until they are fixed right. That means not attacking the problem in small doses at all the parks. They made the decision the biggest need was DCA which is where the efforts are being directed (and HOW!).

There is a second issue and that is with WDI. There is a limited amount of talent that can pull off what most fans expect from WDI and only a certain ammount of money Disney is willing to invest in that talent. Iger has focused WDI like a laser beam on a certain number of projects and WDI can only do so much. Iger's goal seems to be quality over quantity. Hmmmm, just like Walt!

So that brings us to WDW. I believe everyone at TDO and WDI in Orlando could bounce their way all the way to Glendale on pogo sticks to prove their passion for new projects and to win over the resources for those projects (money) and it wouldn't matter a wit. WDW is not the focus as other projects are deemed more important. But that will not always be the case.

I advise patience.

PS all of the above is my opinion. Since so many people here are threatened by strong opinions, I guess I need to add that. :rolleyes:

Pumbas Nakasak

TSM is an ambitious, innovative, highly-repeatable AND insanely-popular attractions often with the largest wait times in DHS. If that isn't major, I don't know what is.

So slow loading is now some sort of achievement. No wonder the mouse knows it can keep churning out crap with so many apologists willing to spout the party line.

Pumbas Nakasak

I'm glad you asked. I sincerely believe that Iger et al have decided that if they are going to do something at the parks they are going to do it right. To do that they are concentrating what park investment dollars they have allocated at a few problem areas until they are fixed right. That means not attacking the problem in small doses at all the parks. They made the decision the biggest need was DCA which is where the efforts are being directed (and HOW!).

There is a second issue and that is with WDI. There is a limited amount of talent that can pull off what most fans expect from WDI and only a certain ammount of money Disney is willing to invest in that talent. Iger has focused WDI like a laser beam on a certain number of projects and WDI can only do so much. Iger's goal seems to be quality over quantity. Hmmmm, just like Walt!

So that brings us to WDW. I believe everyone at TDO and WDI in Orlando could bounce their way all the way to Glendale on pogo sticks to prove their passion for new projects and to win over the resources for those projects (money) and it wouldn't matter a wit. WDW is not the focus as other projects are deemed more important. But that will not always be the case.

I advise patience.

PS all of the above is my opinion. Since so many people here are threatened by strong opinions, I guess I need to add that. :rolleyes:

JT you need an Ertha Kitt cause its now coming out of your mouth. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom