Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

GothMickey

Yea I completely agree. It's fun but it could have been so much more. Don't even get me started with a rant on the Imhotep AA figure. Universal put that company out of business knowing full well they should have never given them the contract. They ended up with a piece of garbage when if they were just willing to go with a company like Advanced Animation things could have gone a lot smoother.

Imhotep never worked when I was on it. I always thought the ride was mediocre at best. Not majorly thrilling, but not the snoozefest that Jaws, Twister, Earthquake is.

Fun2BFree

Please tell if you know more about this world we are to be transported into on an outdoor roller coaster.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but a 'world' can be created on an outdoor roller-coaster. BTMRR, Barnstormer, Everest, Matterhorn and even Universal's own Dueling Dragons to an extent all fulfill this.

Disney's rides do have stories behind them. HM being the exception, even though there still astory behind the attraction. Even moreso since the refurb than in the past.

The attractions listed do not have more complicated 'stories' than TSM: the toys use a carnival playset to run games and such. HM's story was always sketchy even among hardcore fans, and the addition of the murderous bride came long after it attained its popularity, showing its success came from its theming rather than its story.

GothMickey

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but a 'world' can be created on an outdoor roller-coaster. BTMRR, Barnstormer, Everest, Matterhorn and even Universal's own Dueling Dragons to an extent all fulfill this.

The attractions listed do not have more complicated 'stories' than TSM: the toys use a carnival playset to run games and such. HM's story was always sketchy even among hardcore fans, and the addition of the murderous bride came long after it attained its popularity, showing its success came from its theming rather than its story.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I really don't know what the "story" is for the roller coaster ride.

WDWFREAK53

EDIT: Besides, what did IoA get from its opening till 2007? A tram ride that was supposed to be open at the park's inception. We've had an unprecedented level of expansion in all four parks (RNRC, ToT 4, M:S, EE and LMAX), and some classics have received needed refurbs (IASW, PotC, HM and SSE). Just because Universal has a few rides now doesn't mean that Disney is stagnating.

Now...Rock N Rollercoaster...fine.
ToT 4. Most people didn't even know it changed...only the fans and the annual passholders realized it was different. The average park-goer didn't.
M:S. Well, this attraction isn't exactly a "hit." Sure it has it's fans...but again, the media killed this one before it even had a chance.
EE. Big hit.
LMAX. The show is already getting stale.

IoA got:

1. The Flying Unicorn
2. Storm Accelatron
3. Suess Trolley

What I don't get is the "Disney has done so much when Universal did nothing..." mentality.

Umm, Just because the Yankees have won a ton of World Series...does that mean they are better than the Red Sox right now? Nope.

Disney will only be able to rest on its laurels for so long before people start realizing that they've "done everything before" and want something new and refreshing.

(And, as far as Toy Story Mania goes...I love that attraction...and the possibility of it changing to keep it fresh is awesome!)

Fun2BFree

I wasn't being sarcastic. I really don't know what the "story" is for the roller coaster ride.

Your ride is set to music and you get a video of it at the end. I cannot understand how people call TSM's theming 'mediocre' and let Uni off because they don't aim for that level of theming. Clearly their efforts in IoA and the upcoming HP project show that they're trying to match Disney's efforts.

Pete C

Original Poster
Some of you guys are bashing The Mummy, yet Expedition Everest is no better. Without question EE is not as thrilling as The Mummy from a coaster perspective, and EE has LESS on-ride show scenes. And now it has a broken AA, the signature piece of the ride. The best thing EE has going for it now is the exterior. I would rather ride the Mummy than EE on any day of the week, and I thought the Mummy was a disappointment when I first rode it as well. That said, I still like both rides a lot.

Rip Ride Rocket is going to be a great investment for Universal. Sure, it is not going to have the theme of some Disney or other Universal attractions, but it should be a top-notch thrill ride. There is something to be said for that because there is always demand for a good thrill ride.

Fun2BFree

Disney will only be able to rest on its laurels for so long before people start realizing that they've "done everything before" and want something new and refreshing.

Until there's a dramatic exodus of parkgoers from WDW to Uni, Disney have nothing to fear. Just as Uni's expansion has been... limited in the past few years, Disney is in a cycle where all attention is on DCA. WDW will soon get something new, and there's more than enough attractions opened in the past few years to tide everyone over.

whylightbulb

Disney rides don't have to have a huge story. HM is about a house with ghosts in it, with no real plot development, just some entertaining setpieces. PotC is about some pirates sacking a town, hardly a dramatic masterpiece but great fun. Space Mountain is about flying around in space. TSM is properly and richly themed from the movie on which it is based. What's the problem with that?

EDIT: My main point essentially is that theming makes the attraction, not story.
I don't have a problem with there not being a detailed narrative with a developed plot, inciting incident etc. What I do have a problem with is a disconnect between what we are presented with and the environments we are subsequently introduced to. We are asked to believe that we somehow are shrunk to the size of a toy when in reality I feel like I've entered an FAO Schwarz. The oversized toys are cute but for what purpose have I been shrunk and how was I shrunk. I'm not even getting into the quality of the scenic pieces here. Sorry, as far as the queue is concerned I don't feel like I've entered a new world so much as I'm visiting a toy store. The concept is flawed from the start.

What in the world are "Game Trams". They are nicely built and finished, mainly because they were built in Japan. As far as the ride itself, the impression is I'm riding from screen to screen to play a 3D Wii video game...simple as that. I don't feel like I've been immersed in the world of Toy Story so much as I've entered a video game testing facility.

Can I get into the game? Sure thing. It's fun enough to get into but it doesn't include most of the elements that make Disney special. I've brought this up on these boards several times before but I remember a propsal for this ride that would have made it much more enjoyable and unique. The concept was taken from Toy Story 2 where guests would have boarded Barbie's car for a tour around Al's Toy Barn. As our tour guide she would make snippy comments just like in the movie. We would stop in certain isles along the way to battle the toys as they come alive. There was a dance number in one scene and several other scenes playing on that sequence from the film. It would have been much more than the cop out that Disney opted for.

Fun2BFree

The oversized toys are cute but for what purpose have I been shrunk and how was I shrunk.

Honestly, the suspension of disbelief is key in theme park attractions. How are you shrunk in ITTBAB, or why are there five-foot tall mice, or how am I in the future, or why do we do inversions to get to an Aerosmith concert?

If one were to pick holes in theme-park concepts, nothing would make sense.

Pete C

Original Poster
I am working on the project.

Do you feel they will take the time necessary to do the project right, or are they going to 'Space Mountain' it? That's my new term for a project that was ambitious at one point in time that was later relegated to a 7-month queue enclosure project. :lol: No, seriously, will HP live up to their original plans, or is the ride system flawed to the point where it will be more like The Mummy...a good ride, rather than a Spiderman...a truly game-changing ride.

I am being harsh on Disney in this thread, but I really feel that they are capable of more than what we have seen in TSM, and especially Everest at what it cost them to make it. I was really expecting Everest to be on par with something like Journey to the Center of the Earth. It's not. I feel that Spiderman is STILL the ride to beat in the industry, and Universal could possibly be the first to top themselves.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The suspension of disbelief? There for what you are saying is that a poor/average attraction is better than a great ride experience if the poor attraction has a better concept and themeing?
:sohappy:

Some of you guys are bashing The Mummy, yet Expedition Everest is no better. Without question EE is not as thrilling as The Mummy from a coaster perspective, and EE has LESS on-ride show scenes. And now it has a broken AA, the signature piece of the ride. The best thing EE has going for it now is the exterior. I would rather ride the Mummy than EE on any day of the week, and I thought the Mummy was a disappointment when I first rode it as well. That said, I still like both rides a lot.

Rip Ride Rocket is going to be a great investment for Universal. Sure, it is not going to have the theme of some Disney or other Universal attractions, but it should be a top-notch thrill ride. There is something to be said for that because there is always demand for a good thrill ride.

I enjoyed The Mummy, but I found EE to be more thrilling mostly because of the backwards portion of the ride.

Your right though, the broken AA is an absolute disaster at this point.

Fun2BFree

The suspension of disbelief? There for what you are saying is that a poor/average attraction is better than a great ride experience if the poor attraction has a better concept and themeing?
:sohappy:

What classifies as 'a great ride experience' is subjective. One man's 'poor' is another's 'addictive and entertaining'.

But if we realised that, no one would ever argue on these forums. :lol:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
What classifies as 'a great ride experience' is subjective. One man's 'poor' is another's 'addictive and entertaining'.

But if we realised that, no one would ever argue on these forums. :lol:

Just like you seem to settle for whats being offered and Im looking for something to keep me interested. There is no denying that in 08 I enjoyed Universal far more than WDW, Disney is not interested in me, I dont have young kids or believe the pixie dust myth, it is a kids destination after all. And lets face it kids are easier and cheaper to please.

whylightbulb

Honestly, the suspension of disbelief is key in theme park attractions. How are you shrunk in ITTBAB, or why are there five-foot tall mice, or how am I in the future, or why do we do inversions to get to an Aerosmith concert?

If one were to pick holes in theme-park concepts, nothing would make sense.
I agree that Suspension of disbelief is key to pulling off a successful attraction. My problem with TSMM is that the elements aren't there to make be suspend my disbelief. I'm not convinced because the detail, quality and immersion don't convince me.

The Haunted Mansion is rich in detail and theme which enables me to "let go" and enjoy the environment. There is very little to remind me that I'm in a show building riding on a rail watching light and projection effects. In TSMM I'm reminded constantly that I'm basically in a converted soundstage with video projection screens. Where does the facility end and the theme begin?

Fun2BFree

Just like you seem to settle for whats being offered and Im looking for something to keep me interested. There is no denying that in 08 I enjoyed Universal far more than WDW, Disney is not interested in me, I dont have young kids or believe the pixie dust myth, it is a kids destination after all. And lets face it kids are easier and cheaper to please.

I accept that you have different tastes and interests than me, but to assume I 'settle' for whatever third-rate trash Disney dishes out to me is just wrong. If you consider yourself too mature to enjoy Disney, then that's fine by me, but don't bring others down because they can have a good time at WDW.

I enjoy Universal too, but it just lacks that intangible that makes Disney special.

EDIT: Huh, I take a six-month break from the forums and it takes me but hours to get in an argument. Looks like I've still got it.

whylightbulb

Do you feel they will take the time necessary to do the project right, or are they going to 'Space Mountain' it? That's my new term for a project that was ambitious at one point in time that was later relegated to a 7-month queue enclosure project. :lol: No, seriously, will HP live up to their original plans, or is the ride system flawed to the point where it will be more like The Mummy...a good ride, rather than a Spiderman...a truly game-changing ride.

I am being harsh on Disney in this thread, but I really feel that they are capable of more than what we have seen in TSM, and especially Everest at what it cost them to make it. I was really expecting Everest to be on par with something like Journey to the Center of the Earth. It's not. I feel that Spiderman is STILL the ride to beat in the industry, and Universal could possibly be the first to top themselves.
I think when all is said and done HP will be the next ride to beat in terms of detail and overall innovation and fun factor. As long as the downtimes and low capacity don't kill it. There are some pretty serious design flaws to overcome but they can certainly do it, just like Disney did with Test Track.

If you have read any of my posts before you know I completely agree with you on EE etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom