Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

Scrooge McDuck

Allow my lsat-addled mind to shed some light on this discussion...."lumos!":

See, I think the opposite. People will still come to Walt Disney World, but they will spend more time and most importanly, money at Universal and Sea World than in previous years.

I guess the point I was trying to make is, that overall, new additions to Universal Studio's and SeaWorld will make occupancy rates go up in the Disney Resorts.

CaptainMichael

I guess the point I was trying to make is, that overall, new additions to Universal Studio's and SeaWorld will make occupancy rates go up in the Disney Resorts.

Maybe, but maybe people would be inclined to check out Universal's resorts or stay at a Disney resort but spend their time and money off property. Put it this way, there's a better chance of it happending now than ever before.

Scrooge McDuck

Maybe, but maybe people would be inclined to check out Universal's resorts or stay at a Disney resort but spend their time and money off property. Put it this way, there's a better chance of it happending now than ever before.

Maybe this should go in another thread, but I'm curious about the Universal resorts, I just got back from a 10 day trip to WDW, and we stayed in the Animal Kingdom lodge, but as we were planning the vacation, I thought it would be prudent to check the pricing at the Universal resorts, and I found that they were incredibly expensive. I know that Disney has been deeply discounting, but the price differences were amazing.

Obviously, both theme parks want to get the customers to stay on their property for the entirety of the vacation, but it seemed to me that the discounts for the Universal resorts were geared to prevent people from going to WDW. If I'm not mistaken the discount to Universal was buy 5 nights at the Hard Rock and get 5 day passes to all the Univeral theme parks, if you wanted a room only reservation, it was at the rack rate.

I was able to book a discounted room only reservation at AKL, at the spring discounted rate.

Has anyone ever stayed at the Univeral resorts? How are they compared to the WDW resorts?

Fun2BFree

Has anyone ever stayed at the Univeral resorts? How are they compared to the WDW resorts?

The past two trips, we have stayed at RPR in Uni for one night to take advantage of the complimentary Universal Express -- two days with no queues means USF and IoA are done easily. RPR was about equivalent to a moderate like CSR in service and amenities, but the water-ferries and path to CityWalk was an excellent plus.

Don't go expecting Disney Magic (TM), but it's definitely very clean, well-maintained and good value if you consider the price of the reduced version of UE (ride each attraction once) at the gate.

jt04

Quality will out

:rolleyes:

It's been said time and time again that the DCA budget means NOTHING to WDW. They still get their budget and they do nothing with it.

Where was this "sky is falling attitude"? I WANT Disney's attendance to drop. I want something to open their eyes in Orlando so they quit giving us mediocre offerings.

I keep saying it but I guess I have to. Except for clones (LM) WDW will not be seeing and major adds out of WDI until DCA's phase 1 in in the pipeline and out of WDI for the most part. When their desks are clear attention will turn to WDW. It's a "span of control" issue to ensure quality. WDI can only produce a certain amount of quality product and right now it is going to DCA. The WDW budget is going to maintenace and refurbs obviously.

Not sure why people can't comprehend this. In about a year Disney will know exactly what Potter is and how they need to respond. No need for reactionary missteps as happend under previous management.

The is a new sheriff in town. In my opinion. :king:

EPCOT Explorer

It's probably because nearly everyone under 18 in this country doesn't have good taste anymore.
For the next 30 days, you are wrong. After that, say it all you want.:lookaroun:lol:

Allow my lsat-addled mind to shed some light on this discussion...."lumos!":

See, I think the opposite. People will still come to Walt Disney World, but they will spend more time and most importanly, money at Universal and Sea World than in previous years.

*sigh* Two things I see in my future....:lookaroun:lol:

And I agree. I can see myself splitting up time to go se TWWoHP. Other have mentioned it too.:shrug:

magicmaya

For the next 30 days, you are wrong. After that, say it all you want.:lookaroun:lol:

*sigh* Two things I see in my future....:lookaroun:lol:

And I agree. I can see myself splitting up time to go se TWWoHP. Other have mentioned it too.:shrug:

That's wrong.Children 12 and under have no taste.All they care about is hannah montanna.That's a big no no EPCOT Explorer!
smiley-rolleyes005.gif

Duckberg

VISITING Universal but STAYING @ Disney!

I linked to a recent article in another thread how Universals upgrades including the heavily hyped Potter Land could work for WDW just as you have stated. Duckberg :cool: PS WELCOME to the forums :animwink:

whylightbulb

It can barely manage to power the Nemo effects at DL and WDW. I would be very concerened about reliability.
You don't know the half of it. I'm working on this project (mostly involving the ride's show aspects) and I can tell you that this ride system will break records for down time. Unfortunately there is a lot of politics invovled and nobody is willing to take the fall so they instead choose to bury their heads in the sand.

To explain further, Imagine a ride vehicle that is suspended and has the ability to articulate out laterally from the ride track. Now imagine each weld joint of the entire track being a failure point. Now imagine the forces that will be exerted on this load rail and supporting structure and how each faliure point is monitored. Because of the weight of each vehicle and the length of the arm, the RMS will shut down constantly! Beyond that, there are 50 vehicles on the system! Each vehicle is a major point of failure. To top it off, the storage bay does not have the capacity to handle all of the vehicles that will be out of service at any given time. That means that they will have to operate with fewer vehicles than calculated for the already low THRC.

All that being said, if these issues can somehow be worked out (Many never thought Test Track's reliability could be as it is today) this ride will raise the bar in terms of themeing, technology, environmental effects, optical effects, detail, ride experience ad infinitum.

The_CEO

You don't know the half of it. I'm working on this project (mostly involving the ride's show aspects) and I can tell you that this ride system will break records for down time. Unfortunately there is a lot of politics invovled and nobody is willing to take the fall so they instead choose to bury their heads in the sand.

To explain further, Imagine a ride vehicle that is suspended and has the ability to articulate out laterally from the ride track. Now imagine each weld joint of the entire track being a failure point. Now imagine the forces that will be exerted on this load rail and supporting structure and how each faliure point is monitored. Because of the weight of each vehicle and the length of the arm, the RMS will shut down constantly! Beyond that, there are 50 vehicles on the system! Each vehicle is a major point of failure. To top it off, the storage bay does not have the capacity to handle all of the vehicles that will be out of service at any given time. That means that they will have to operate with fewer vehicles than calculated for the already low THRC.

All that being said, if these issues can somehow be worked out (Many never thought Test Track's reliability could be as it is today) this ride will raise the bar in terms of themeing, technology, environmental effects, optical effects, detail, ride experience ad infinitum.

So... What else can you talk about... :lol:

Nice post!

EPCOT Explorer

Very interesting. Loving all these looks into WDW and WDI that you are providing!

SirGoofy

I for see major down times for a year or two, with out a doubt. You aren't going to always be able to push the envelope without some problems.

And this is the big thing. Eventually the problems will be addressed. There is no engineering problem out there that can't be solved. And once it is everything mentioned in the bolded part will show people what can be done with a theme park ride, and show Disney's recent offerings for what they really are.

The Conundrum

I doubt it. There are FAR nicer places to stay in the orlando area. For the same price as a tiny room at Disney you can get an excellent room at Embassy suits complete with kitchen, complimentary breakfast (high quality), free cocktails, and all kinds of other amenities that Disney would never offer. I have also heard very good things about the Gaylord hotel.

The Conundrum

I keep saying it but I guess I have to. Except for clones (LM) WDW will not be seeing and major adds out of WDI until DCA's phase 1 in in the pipeline and out of WDI for the most part. When their desks are clear attention will turn to WDW. It's a "span of control" issue to ensure quality. WDI can only produce a certain amount of quality product and right now it is going to DCA. The WDW budget is going to maintenace and refurbs obviously.

Jt you really need to stop pretending to be an insider. WDI is working on TONS of projects right now for DCA, DL, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Paris, and COUNTLESS other projects. There is no "Span of control".

There is no waiting for DCA to finish before moving on to WDW. That is totally untrue.

jt04

Jt you really need to stop pretending to be an insider. WDI is working on TONS of projects right now for DCA, DL, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Paris, and COUNTLESS other projects. There is no "Span of control".

There is no waiting for DCA to finish before moving on to WDW. That is totally untrue.

I've always said I am not an insider.

As part of the reorganization, many functions are being merged into more efficient, "under one roof", orgaizations. I didn't say it, TWDC said it. It was just a couple months ago so I am suprised you have already forgotten. You remember, about the time you were all giddy about people being forced out at TDO. When you were that other person.

Anyway, there is always a span of control. Operations are more focused in Glendale. And will be as the emphasis will be more on quality over quantity. We know what happens when this is not the case. Someone posted a list here recently that detailed the post-Wells additions to WDW and it was sad indeed. That is all changing now. New sheriff in town I hear told.

I am out on this limb. Climbed out here all by myself. If I am so wrong, time will prove it. You don't need to obsess on my musings on a daily basis. Of course, if I am right, you'll know that too. So just watch and see. I never said WDI wasn't working on other projects, just that a big percentage of their manhours are being directed to DCA's phase 1. As that project winds down they will be able to direct attention to WDW in a more comprehensive way. Stay tuned.

Buried20KLeague

I think I love you. :eek:

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom