Universal announces yet another major attraction, Disney taking a nap

SirGoofy

Are you kidding me? I'll take Countdown, broken effects, bad name and all, over River Adventure with scummy water, disappointing drop, bad effects (In Orlando), and Barely moving Dinosaurs with wires hanging out of their necks.
:lol::brick:

I will agree with the scummy water comment, but I disagree with the rest. I think it's got a great drop, and I've never seen a problem with effects or broken AAs.

And at least there's stuff to look at in JP, rather than Dino, which is 75% in the pitch blackness.

marsrunner

I completely agree. Cars was a very, very mediocre film, and no where near the level I expect from Pixar. Potter is a phenomenon. Calling it anything less would do the franchise a complete disservice.

Agreed. Plus, I'll just list some things where Uni trumps WDW.

MIB>BLSRS & TSM
Jurassic Park>Dino
Mythos>Disney's in Park dining
Spider-man>Anything

Potter is definitely worth a land. Its one of my favorite series and I'm certainly looking forward to the addition to IoA. But aside from your or my feelings about Cars, the fact is that it sold $400 million + worldwide and did staggering sales numbers of merchandise, absolutely staggering amounts. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I remember a number of 10 to 1 compared to sales for Finding Nemo merchandise.

MIB is definitely better than BLSRS or TSM, from the themeing, storyline, queue, effects, immersion, humor and heck basically everything. JP in Orlando is just a mess though. Dinosaur may not be the most completely attraction, but its more fun in my opinion than JP. Mythos destroys any eatery in any theme park that I've been to.

Spider-Man is great, no doubt about it. But it doesn't compare to the ToT and I prefer any number of classic Disney attractions.

EpcotServo

I will agree with the scummy water comment, but I disagree with the rest. I think it's got a great drop, and I've never seen a problem with effects or broken AAs.

And at least there's stuff to look at in JP, rather than Dino, which is 75% in the pitch blackness.

You can't blame Countdown for darkness, when the "BIG THRILL" and main selling point of Jurassic Park is in COMPLETE DARKNESS so it feels no worse than Pirates of the Caribbean.
:lol:

(and yes, first time on River Adventure...4 whole Dinosaurs had major exposed sections with wires and robotics hanging out. And again, I'll take the fast moving ones from CTX.)

tomman710

So let me get this straight, because Universal is building a highly immersive area with an innovative, ground-breaking dark ride, you decided not to renew your AP...seems like faulty logic:shrug:

Not to mention new additions like The Simpsons and Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit:confused:

That's surely your right to do so, but IMO, that's silly. It killed me not to renew my Universal AP because it would have only been a little over $100, but I don't live close enough for that to be even worth it.

Sorry I am a little late on responding to this but let see if I can explain this better ... because its FAR from faulty logic.

Let me illustrate it this way:

Lets say you love a couple food items at a particular restaurant, you go there all the time and get only those couple of food items that are pretty tasty and you can't find anywhere else but they aren't really packed with nutrients for you, so it isn't healthy per se but you really enjoy going there. Eventually eating those meals all the time is going to get old and you aren't sure about going anymore, plus you might want something that is good for you and not just good tasting junk. Well then the restaurant realizes it needs to expand its menu to keep guests coming and it adds two or three things to the menu like a Mushroom Burger, an Onion Salad, and Leek & Clam Stew ... well none of those sound good to me at all ... I don't like mushrooms or onions and I am allergic to clams ... so why would I go back?

Thats the logic ... in my decision. I liked Spider-Man, Hulk, DD, and a couple other rides for what they are and I liked the Simpsons the first time I rode it but on the second ride through the jokes weren't funny and I was left with really nothing that I cared to do again ... I have ZERO desire to ride a Harry Potter dark ride or Rip Ride Rockit ... that's my taste.

I don't have much of a desire to re-ride the existing rides and I have little to no interests in the new rides. And yes a Space Mountain refurb sounds infinitely more exciting to me than a Harry Potter Land.

People have different tastes, thats the logic.

jt04

Sorry I am a little late on responding to this but let see if I can explain this better ... because its FAR from faulty logic.

Let me illustrate it this way:

Lets say you love a couple food items at a particular restaurant, you go there all the time and get only those couple of food items that are pretty tasty and you can't find anywhere else but they aren't really packed with nutrients for you, so it isn't healthy per se but you really enjoy going there. Eventually eating those meals all the time is going to get old and you aren't sure about going anymore, plus you might want something that is good for you and not just good tasting junk. Well then the restaurant realizes it needs to expand its menu to keep guests coming and it adds two or three things to the menu like a Mushroom Burger, an Onion Salad, and Leek & Clam Stew ... well none of those sound good to me at all ... I don't like mushrooms or onions and I am allergic to clams ... so why would I go back?

Thats the logic ... in my decision. I liked Spider-Man, Hulk, DD, and a couple other rides for what they are and I liked the Simpsons the first time I rode it but on the second ride through the jokes weren't funny and I was left with really nothing that I cared to do again ... I have ZERO desire to ride a Harry Potter dark ride or Rip Ride Rockit ... that's my taste.

I don't have much of a desire to re-ride the existing rides and I have little to no interests in the new rides. And yes a Space Mountain refurb sounds infinitely more exciting to me than a Harry Potter Land.

Nice.

I'll ride potter once to see the technology.

Oh and the Carsland vs Potter question is easy. If Carsland is just about cars then I guess that is like saying potter is just about brooms. Same logic.

CaptainMichael

Fair enough. Like I said earlier, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

I just don't see how a minor refurb of Space Mountain is better than a new land and a new coaster, but as you say, different tastes.

Nice.

I'll ride potter once to see the technology.

Oh and the Carsland vs Potter question is easy. If Carsland is just about cars then I guess that is like saying potter is just about brooms. Same logic.
You'll ride it, but you won't like it because it wasn't made by WDI:rolleyes:

No one said that, keep up JT;)

jt04

Fair enough. Like I said earlier, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

I just don't see how a minor refurb of Space Mountain is better than a new land and a new coaster, but as you say, different tastes.

You'll ride it, but you won't like it because it wasn't made by WDI:rolleyes:

No one said that, keep up JT;)

I applaud Uni for Terminator 4D, MiB, DD especially the queue. The Lost Continent aesthtics, Port of Entry detail (amazing), Spiderman and City Walk.

I also applaud their use of the amazing parking garages. I just wish Disney would utilize them more. There are a few places that could really use them at WDW.

EPCOT Explorer

Here, I'll throw my random comments about Uni in here too:

Great theming, save for the roller coasters, and the only thing it's missing is the nostalgia.:shrug:

Theeeeeeere we go...

CaptainMichael

I applaud Uni for Terminator 4D, MiB, DD especially the queue. The Lost Continent aesthtics, Port of Entry detail (amazing), Spiderman and City Walk.

I also applaud their use of the amazing parking garages. I just wish Disney would utilize them more. There are a few places that could really use them at WDW.
Good to know. I'll keep that in mind for future use.

A parking garage would be GREAT for DHS, so it could expand outwards by Indy;) DTD Marketplace could also use one.

jt04

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind for future use.

A parking garage would be GREAT for DHS, so it could expand outwards by Indy;) DTD Marketplace could also use one.

Oh and the Mummy ride! Love that ride. I'd love to see Disney do an Indiana Jones version of the technology at DHS. That ride really should get more credit for raising the bar for theme park design.

dont worry disney will come out on top they always do...i'm thinkin they need a new park or a new area of a park like how universal has created the harry potter part

The Conundrum

I agree absolutely. WDW has them hands down when it comes to expectations and the castle wow factor and size of and control of property. Main Street USA is the quintessential end of the rainbow for a kazillion people. BUT, UNI creates many far greater ride experiences for teens and adults. On the other hand, Uni is hardly a dream destination for the average tourist to Orlando. key word: "dream"

Hogwart's Castle at Universal is going to totally trump Cinderella Castle and blow away the half-themed Everest building. When you see it you will think you got teleported to a new land at Tokyo Disneysea or something. Quote me on that!

CaptainMichael

Oh and the Mummy ride! Love that ride. I'd love to see Disney do an Indiana Jones version of the technology at DHS. That ride really should get more credit for raising the bar for theme park design.
Either someone else is on your computer, or you're jerking my chain.

dont worry disney will come out on top they always do...i'm thinkin they need a new park or a new area of a park like how universal has created the harry potter part

There's a nice chunk of land in DAK that is just begging to be redeveloped into something amazing.

EPCOT Explorer

Hogwart's Castle at Universal is going to totally trump Cinderella Castle and blow away the half-themed Everest building. When you see it you will think you got teleported to a new land at Tokyo Disneysea or something. Quote me on that!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo....Never. Not possible.

First of all: Height.

Second of all: Look. Hogwarts is a dingy well worn "real" looking castle. Cinderella is clean cut, gothic, shining and magical. I don't know which you prefer...but Disney's looks much more inviting.

Third: Icon verses Ride Building/Scenery. Icon has fireworks over it.:lol:

jt04

Either someone else is on your computer, or you're jerking my chain.

Not at all. I have always thought the roller coaster is underutilized in dark ride configurations. Atlantis at SW or Mummy at Uni should just be the beginning of how these systems should evolve. There are endless ways roller coaster dark rides can be done and they could be configured from the most family friendly to the absolute most thrilling extreme rides. Can you imagine the Disney version of something like Mummy?:eek:

The Conundrum

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo....Never. Not possible.

First of all: Height.

Second of all: Look. Hogwarts is a dingy well worn "real" looking castle. Cinderella is clean cut, gothic, shining and magical. I don't know which you prefer...but Disney's looks much more inviting.

Third: Icon verses Ride Building/Scenery. Icon has fireworks over it.:lol:

uh you do know Hogwarts will be much taller than Cinderella right? Its going all the way to 199ft. (same as everest's peak). It will also have an interior unlike Cindy's castle (which is a reasturant and beauty parlor) and I don't think Hogwarts is the ride building.

WDW1974

So much about little or nothing here ... and setting the record straight gets very tiring after a while. That's why I'll be taking a sabbatical from regular posting duty (that's what it has begun to feel like) on MAGIC for a while. Busy summer coming (with visits to all the USA Disney parks and SWO and Universal Hollywood planned) and work and family need to take precedence.

That said ... since an Academy Award winning talent like Forrest Whitaker can himself to sing 'D-I-C-K In a Box' because MTV asked, I guess I can make one last regular post here before I say sayonara from regular reading and posting. I'll pop in if there is anything truly major to praise or bash in the Disney world. But right now I have lots to do in the real world and can't expend the energy some can devote to this fine site.

So ... where do I begin?

How about with the Iger 'is the new sheriff' and is responsible for anything great while evil Michael Eisner (the dude who hand picked him for the position) is responsible for anything prior.

Guess what? Anything that has come down the approval/construction line since 2004 did so with the input of both men. Like it or hate it. Things good, bad or indifferent don't happen overnight at Disney.

Also, understand that Iger is much more hands off in his approach to WDI and P&R. Some may think this is good, others may not. In other words, when you see the new HoP and you have a reaction to it ... don't assume Iger had any input into it at all. Same with Space Mountain. ... Same with many of the details of DCA or anything. Saying Iger had any input on things ranging from whether the Maliboomer stays or goes at DCA, how extensive WDW's Space Mountain redo is or what Monsters Ride and Go Seek turned into in Tokyo is laughable. ... He sticks his nose in on the truly big things like reorganizing the USA parks, building new ships for DCL, expanding ventures outside the parks ... and the biggie -- Asian expansion. ... Don't praise him or condemn him for things that are left to Jay Rasulo and his minions with some strong direction by John Lasseter (mostly in Anaheim thus far). If you think Iger has time to sit back and ponder where and when Star Tours 2.0 debuts then you don't have a realistic idea of what the man does.

Cars vs. HP?

Dumb argument. They both appear to have the potential to really raise the quality in their markets in a big way. One better than the other? Who knows? Who cares? So long as they're both good all themed entertainment fans win. I personally prefer the Cars characters because I really like the old Route 66 nostalgia that flowed in that film (and I hate NASCAR), while I haven't even seen two of the Potter films and I have never seen one in a theater. I'm smart enough to know these two properties are huge and will remain so for years ... this is win-win for fans, so I don't get the sniping.

JP vs. CTX. ... Again, I'm no Disney apologist (right? we don't have to argue that point) and I find both attractions to be very flawed, but quality. My preference is CTX. Doesn't mean I am right. There is no right or wrong. Both attractions have been in sorry shape on my numerous 2007-08 rides (haven't been to Uni this year and didn't ride CTX on my '09 Disney visits). I have seen wires and skin hanging on Uni's dinos ... along with filthy trash strewn waters. And I have seen many effects on CTX consistently not working as well as a constant backup when loading/unloading causing the EMVs to stop dead right at the 'We're not gonna make it ...' scene. That's unforgiveable. If both were in opening day condition I'd take CTX ... but just by a bit.

DCA $$$.

Money has been pulled back. Imagineers are worried more will since the Extreme Makeover was approved way before the economy collapsed. One Imagineer told me 18 months ago that they were trying to prioritize with Phase 1 because 'there's absolutely no guarantee Phase 2 will happen or will happen on the timeline Bob touted' ... so when you see no makeover of the queue on the Fun Wheel ... when you see the Carousel get a standard refurb with NO additional theming package ... when you see money pulled from everything from Maliboomer removal to Screamin queue to Beer Garden (and this was supposed to be a huge piece of the Pier makeover) to Cars Land dining removed, it isn't because they were always planning on cutting those things. I question whether the makeover would have happened at all if funding hadn't of been freed up when it was.

Anyway ... it's been fun ... and I look forward to stopping by now and again ... hopefully, there will be something to truly talk about beyond SSE triangles, what is being trucked out of Space Mountain, timeshares and ancient Jim Hill rumors. Until then, I'll be over on my online home LP.com.

Y'all have a happy, fun, and safe summer ...

agent86

I think most people would surprised if they actually gave Universal a chance. The Studios side certainly outdoes DHS in theming, scope, and environment.

I wholeheartedly agree!! :sohappy: I've always felt that if Walt were still alive, USF is a much better representation of what DHS would have ended up looking like. The attention to detail there is superb, and DHS is pretty sad by comparison. I especially love how USF has all kinds of nooks and back alley ways that are just there to be discovered and explored. If that existed at Disney, they would feel compelled to use the square footage to push t-shirts, pins, snacks or DVC.

EPCOT Explorer

uh you do know Hogwarts will be much taller than Cinderella right? Its going all the way to 199ft. (same as everest's peak). It will also have an interior unlike Cindy's castle (which is a reasturant and beauty parlor) and I don't think Hogwarts is the ride building.

Hello blinking red light...:dazzle: I thought it was ride building, my mistake.

But seriously? I hardly think that something that's just going to be a attraction will be comparable to the icon of Walt Disney World.

But we shall see. It's not built yet.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom